Thread: Crusader Kings 2

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

Never used that, never will.

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    Im surprised France hasnt lost territory to HRE (even though they are in a rebel fase now). But im planning on playing somewhere in scandinavia for my next game.

Also, it can be me, but all the good woman to breed with for my cousins/kinsmen, are always russian/greek and orthodox. Western Europe is a pool of mediocrity or worse
    Scandinavian factions are so easy to play. Great choice for a casual game.

Yeah, I often end up marrying off to the byzantine empire and marrying their princesses. They have actually been great allies, called them in several times and they come with an enormous amount of troops to support. I usually like to marry off to at least one or two of my neighbors and an empire. I however, do not really like marrying off to the HRE. They almost never have come to support in any of my wars.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Ever since the last patch, the Betrothal system got bugged for me and is not working anymore. I can betrothe two people, but they cannot be married because neither of them is selectable in marriage diplomacy, as the game is considering them to be already married (when they are not).

Also, I have fully restored the Carolingian empire with ease.

It didn't take more than 4 decades to do it. I simply married one of the Capet king's sons matrilinially to a daughter, and he agreed because that son was completely insignificant. Then I killed off all his brothers and succeeded in making him (and later his son) as the king i.e. a Carolingian was on the throne. Then I murdered off my current line and thus switched to the Royal members.

Then I claimed took an Imperial territory when they were in a civil war, and nominated myself for the elections. All those dissatisfied vassals avoided voting for the heir of the current Kaiser, and chose me because they were all rivals as well. As soon as I turned out to be the most favoured heir to win elections, I plot-killed the Kaiser and inherited the whole empire.

Then I simply waited for some time, and then changed law to primogeniture (the old Kaiser had high crown-authority which caused those vassals to rebel). So my grip on both Germany and France was secure. Then I hurled through some remaining Pagans and took all of Pomerania. And I also made kingdom of Italy and used the de-jure to conquer everything there, and I also took Rome.

Finally conquered all the remaining Carolingian territories by 1130s. Fun game, that was. Will post a screenshot of it soon.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Me neither, but when you use the marriage button (right bottom of the portrait); all the good girls (genius/strong/...)are often eastern european.

About this: do you guys use often non-heir sons for inheriting land? I Wanna know you're opinions before i try it.
    The advantage is offcours that marriage proposals will be accepted more easily than for nephews/cousins and kinsmen.
    The disadvantage is that pretenders get a powerbase, and in elective they wont vote for your heir

Nosjack's Avatar Praepositus

As long as you keep your electors happy with gifts, honorary titles, and chancellor missions, you shouldn't have any trouble keeping them in check. In fact, I usually give away duchies and the like that I don't want to my sons, and they prove to be loyal vassals for the most part.

Just don't be a jerk and everything will go fine

Getting elected in HRE is much better than winning elections in any merchant republic, however rich they may be.

Double A's Avatar person man

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    My France campaign ends 5 years after starting it in 1066, because my ruler is destined to die in that year (as 19 years old), while elective succession enforced by a faction means that my angry uncle, the previous duke of Burgundy (I stripped his title after a civil war) becomes the new king. So I would be left with a 1 year old duke, ruling 2 counties.
    How is he destined to die?

It's only ever worth using if you're a patrician with no one in his court and you're playing a mod that lets you appoint women as stewards and spymasters.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    How is he destined to die?
    Probably with the angry relative at the throne picking on him for having his previous title.

Btw, have you people ever checked out this list of characters in CK2? It shows some very interesting characters and dynasties to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    Probably with the angry relative at the throne picking on him for having his previous title.

Btw, have you people ever checked out this list of characters in CK2? It shows some very interesting characters and dynasties to try out.
    That is a great list! Thanks for sharing.

By the way, is Johan Andersson REALLY present in the game as a landless courtier? The list said 'like the rest of Paradox staff' which means, did Paradox developers put themselves in the game?
    Last edited by General Maximus; March 07, 2013 at 04:38 AM.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    That is a great list! Thanks for sharing.

By the way, is Johan Andersson REALLY present in the game as a landless courtier? The list said 'like the rest of Paradox staff' which means, did Paradox developers put themselves in the game?
    Think it just a joke :p you know, andrson doesnt own land in sweden ,just like the poor guys from paradox (since they are swedish)

So finally managed to make a vassal republic. How do i destroy trade posts of it bussines enemies? Embargo war isnt in the options for declaring war.

I'm about to ready to form the Roman Empire but I'm not sure if I should, my current guy has also mended the schism so he would lose "the Saint".

About how many troops do the mongols show up with? I'm playing as Poland, and I have quite a nice little Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth going, with about 25k troops possible to raise. So I would hate for the mongols to show up while I'm unprepared and ruin the whole thing.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nosjack View Post
    About how many troops do the mongols show up with? I'm playing as Poland, and I have quite a nice little Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth going, with about 25k troops possible to raise. So I would hate for the mongols to show up while I'm unprepared and ruin the whole thing.
    40-100k both hordes I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosjack View Post
    You are ****ed no matter what you do unless you're a giant Empire, all their stacks have no attrition as well.

Indefinitely Banned

I beat both hordes with my Polish-Lithuanian-Hungarian armies (mercenary and holy order auxilia used as well), and with the help of my Rus allies.

Well, right now Rus is pretty large, pretty much controlling half of everything east of Kiev. Hopefully they'll be able to whittle down the Mongols to a more manageable size.

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    Think it just a joke :p you know, andrson doesnt own land in sweden ,just like the poor guys from paradox (since they are swedish)
    Lol, that would be very funny to see him in the game, landless.

I'm about to ready to form the Roman Empire but I'm not sure if I should, my current guy has also mended the schism so he would lose "the Saint".
    You can form the Roman Empire, but the borders you will have to defend will be far more vulnerable and the troops you will have will not be enough for it, even if you use mercenaries, retinues and such. And once Mongols come up, it is going to be very, very tough since you cannot manage all those weak coastal territories and the eastern front at the same time.

On the other hand, your character becomes "the Glorious" instead of "the Saint" and you get that hefty prestige-giving 'Augustus' trait.

That option is kind of stupid in my opinion and many other players on Paradox forums. Byzantine Empire was already the Roman Empire until 1453.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Lol, that would be very funny to see him in the game, landless.

1.You can form the Roman Empire, but the borders you will have to defend will be far more vulnerable and the troops you will have will not be enough for it, even if you use mercenaries, retinues and such. And once Mongols come up, it is going to be very, very tough since you cannot manage all those weak coastal territories and the eastern front at the same time.

2.On the other hand, your character becomes "the Glorious" instead of "the Saint" and you get that hefty prestige-giving 'Augustus' trait.

3.That option is kind of stupid in my opinion and many other players on Paradox forums. Byzantine Empire was already the Roman Empire until 1453.
    1.Nope, why would I need to defend my borders? I've never been attacked by the AI in this game apart from useless Jihads which consists of the AI seeing small stacks halfway across Europe.
    2.Prestige doesn't matter in this game after a certain point, it's the +15 to relations.
    3.Yes but I like my TAG changes very much.

1.Nope, why would I need to defend my borders? I've never been attacked by the AI in this game apart from useless Jihads which consists of the AI seeing small stacks halfway across Europe.
    2.Prestige doesn't matter in this game after a certain point, it's the +15 to relations.
    3.Yes but I like my TAG changes very much.
    In my Roman restorations, AI never leaves me alone and always attacks me every time a truce gets over, just to get their de-jure land back. HRE is a particular nuisance. And once I use Imperial Reconquest casus belli, there are even more enemies.

However, it is your choice to restore Roman Empire or not.

I want the AI to attack me, mean I don't have to bother doing so myself.