Thread: Crusader Kings 2

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Good God. Just became the Byzantine Emperor by losing a war. As the Doux of Achaia, I launched an independence war. Little did I realise that because I had married a distant princess twenty years ago and because a succession of civil wars had been rotating the emperor around - the emperor was my own son! He quelled the civil war I was exploiting, I gave a white peace, which left me imprisoned, and then he executed me, so I am now emperor! :/
    Quite a nasty way to become an emperor. And the trait that comes with it.

I had once become the Emperor very unexpectedly. My character's son was married to the Emperor's daughter, who became the empress after the old fart died and her brother became the new King of Kings, and she got the claim for the whole of Eastern Rome. so she was put on the throne by a faction. Then she had a child, who became the Emperor at the age of 10 when his mother died of great pox and father (my character's son) had died in battle against stupid Pechengs. The little kid had me as an heir, and then he died of illness about two years later. Voila! I was the new Emperor.

And that kid left me a surprisingly stable and rebel free nation.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Double A's Avatar person man

One time the Byzantine Empire had three counties, all of them inland and one in Italy. This did not stop me from plotting inheriting it.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

well, seemingly disastrous events can turn out for the (much) better.
    while on the 2nd generation of a Volga-Bulgar campaign my great Khan was hit on the head in a minor battle. all the while he has been pushing holy wars as to facilitate his ever growing brood of sons with titles. then by a knock on the nugin his wrinkled old mother becomes regent, and what would you know... the stewardship sky-rockets, all the thievs-guilds and smuglers-rings are up-rooted. dangerous factions loose their backing and tax-money are pouring in to the coffers.
    things has never been better than after i got my head knocked in...
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Semisalis

But once someone becomes incapable their life expectancy drops dramatically, I wouldn't count on it lasting long unfortunately

yes, he died rather soon. but then his underaged son took over and the old biddy made her self regent again. lost a couple of stewardship points, so now its is down from 11 to 9. still it is bether than with the live Khan, i just hope the old crone will last 7 more years...
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

11 state or just hers? Because I keep getting annoyed that I try to get my heirs stewardship but they all keep winding up grey eminences in my dynasty, it's like every damn member of my is a grey emminance with 18+ diplomacy and everything else mediocre at best, maybe decent intrigue to go with it on occasion.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

my awake Khan had 7 sized demesne, when comatose and with his mother as regent it popped up to 11. when he keeled over and his son took over with granny as regent it went down to 9. the kid is not all that bright, so i suppose super-gran has most the stuff. she is a patient genious after all...

i try to breed my dynasty with the genious trait, i take a lot of prestiege damage due to it - it is worth it. any lowborn genious i can find in the whole world is likely to get married to my dude.
    if possible i stay away from intrigue skill, it is bound to cause extra trouble down the generations.

if christian i spam my dynasty as much as i can, matrilineal marriages allround. elective or seniority will eventually bring everything into shape. then primogeniture as long as th egenes hold, before i try to pass it all over to a fresh branch.

much more complicated with muslim rulers, decadence realy kicks inn after a few generations. i try to compensate by constantly expanding, but eventually crap piles up.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Yeah for the life of me I can't get anyone to accept a matrilineal marriage no matter how awesome my daughter is. I just had one who's got 25 diplo, 24 stewardship, 17 martial and decent, like 10, for the other two. No one of any worth would accept a matrilineal even though she's daughter of a king, even if I so much as tried a count, because, they're too high in the line of succession.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Is there a way to punish your regents for declaring you insane? My Eastern Roman Emperor was locked up in a tower at the age of 7 because the God-cursed regent falsely claimed him to be insane and incapable. So when the regency ended, he was still incapable.

I punished that regent by castrating and blinding him, and then castrating all of his family and executing the kids. And then I kept all of them in the oubliette for the rest of their lives.

You know, this gives an incurable lump of tyranny penalty. But sometimes you may get too angry for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    Yeah for the life of me I can't get anyone to accept a matrilineal marriage no matter how awesome my daughter is. I just had one who's got 25 diplo, 24 stewardship, 17 martial and decent, like 10, for the other two. No one of any worth would accept a matrilineal even though she's daughter of a king, even if I so much as tried a count, because, they're too high in the line of succession.
    You pretty much can't get any of the first three men in any line of succession to accept a matrilineal marriage, unless (maybe) your daughter is your heir or you're a chick. I've yet to play as a girl, so I really don't know.

It's better to marry the fourth guy in line and murder the other three.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)

So I was playing as the King of France. My character was deposed and forced to abdicate, and then died instantly. Now I am playing his second son who is the duke of Orleans and has claims to the kingdom. Is it possible to pass the claim to sons and their sons and so on, without the claim becoming weak or vanishing after some time, like I have seen happen with AI?

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    You pretty much can't get any of the first three men in any line of succession to accept a matrilineal marriage, unless (maybe) your daughter is your heir or you're a chick. I've yet to play as a girl, so I really don't know.

It's better to marry the fourth guy in line and murder the other three.
    yeah i've noticed that too. But how can you know for certain who'se gonna be 4th? (since the badge only shows 3 people). In the beginning its easy, but after a few a decennia it might get more complicated.

Gonna start a game as brabant i think next time. See how being a vassal and so works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    with the initial release i was able to marry my daughter to 2nd in line for France and gave him a small county. then after a successful assasination whole of France bacame part of HRE and ruled by my dynasty.
    it seems that this has been altered since the early patches. not even sure it can be done now unless she is a ruler and the man is old and childless, perhaps not even then.
    even when there is a matrilineal bethrotal a character might refuse when he has gained a title...

has anyone been able to take over as a Caliph, is it even possible?

i suppose one must be related to the Prophet and have that "Sayiid" trait and as muslims does not marry matriliearly that is a problem... both characters would have to be christian just to plant that trait in the male line of my dynasty. and i am not even sure i have seen a non-muslim Sayid
    or that "Mirza" trait, does it stick or last one generation only?
    does anyone know the significanse of these traits, am i barking up the wrong tree?
    "je veux devenir calife à la place du calife"...
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    yeah i've noticed that too. But how can you know for certain who'se gonna be 4th? (since the badge only shows 3 people). In the beginning its easy, but after a few a decennia it might get more complicated.

Gonna start a game as brabant i think next time. See how being a vassal and so works out.
    Look at the family tree, and determine who is most likely. I think it might be shown somewhere, not really sure.

If you're confused and absolutely need to know, save your game and kill one of the successors, then reload.

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    has anyone been able to take over as a Caliph, is it even possible?

i suppose one must be related to the Prophet and have that "Sayiid" trait and as muslims does not marry matriliearly that is a problem... both characters would have to be christian just to plant that trait in the male line of my dynasty. and i am not even sure i have seen a non-muslim Sayid
    or that "Mirza" trait, does it stick or last one generation only?
    does anyone know the significanse of these traits, am i barking up the wrong tree?
    "je veux devenir calife à la place du calife"...
    Yes. I once captured all of Africa as an Emir of Alexandria and became Egyptian Sultan. From there, I was able to conquer all of Persia when Seljuks went in civil war. Then I captured Arabia from the remnants of the Seljuks and Fatimids, who had overtaken many of the Yousefid and Hashimid lands.

Then once the Shia Caliph became landless, I got the option to form it. Thus, I became Caliph.

interesting indeed.
    but did you belong to the Fatimid dynasty and/or had any of the Sayid or Mirza traits?
    or were you simply the most powerfull Shia ruler?
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    interesting indeed.
    but did you belong to the Fatimid dynasty and/or had any of the Sayid or Mirza traits?
    or were you simply the most powerfull Shia ruler?
    In one instance, I was playing a custom character with Sayyid trait with Alexandria. Second was when I was playing a Fatimid in Medina.

But during the third time, I was not a Fatimid or Sayyid. My character died and the heir was a long-distance relative who got the Mirza trait somehow. That time I owned all of the Muslim world except Iberia.

Semisalis

I just made a great series of moves almost by accident...

I'm playing as my own designed Duke (now king, just created the title) of Bohemia. Since I really wanted the genius trait but it adds a lot of years onto your character, I had to also take some negative traits like hedonist and lustful, meaning my guy has a fairly hefty fertility bonus to begin with. This means that after I marry, he starts pumping out children like there's no tomorrow. As of right now he's 52 or 53 and he's got 10 children I believe, one of them being a recognized bastard. Once these kids started coming of age I began marrying them off. For my first born I chose someone with mostly good stats and the genius trait (who doesn't like +5 to all stats?) which luckily passed on to his firstborn son. For my remaining sons I was looking mostly for political alliances, and I looked to the king of Castille, who had managed to unites Castille, gallicia, and Leon into one. He had only on son, but three daughters. I started marrying the daughters and before I knew it all three were married to my sons. The kicker is that the succession laws are agnatic-cognatic gavelkind, and the Castillian king's son had only managed to have one son (which I promptly killed off). Now my grandsons are set to inheriting one kingdom each after I kill that damn son, and my dynasty will suddenly spread half the map away. I had no idea this would happen, the king of Castille really only made a convenient person at first because he had some open daughters for me to unload a few of my sons on.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Probably noob question, but is it possible to form things historical things like the hanseatic league and the kalmar union?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

This is what I get when i search for Hanseatic, the Kalmar union isn't formable however.
    d_hanseatic_navy = { # Now "Baltic Cogs"
    color={ 150 150 150 }
    color2={ 255 255 255 }

short_name = yes

capital = 262 # Lübeck