General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

What is an 'Oubliette'?
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

A special cell inside the dungeon that is only accessible via a high hatch in ceiling. It was designed to give a constant feeling of being trapped and helpless. Some considered it a form of torture, and in most ways it was - especially for people suffering of claustrophobia. You've seen them in "medieval" movies countless times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oubliette

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    I lost a battle against Seljuks as Byzantine empire, even though I had clear terrain advantage and superior numbers.
    Manzikert anyone?
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 25, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

If there are any estonian CK2 players whoa re up for a game pm me

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    A special cell inside the dungeon that is only accessible via a high hatch in ceiling. It was designed to give a constant feeling of being trapped and helpless. Some considered it a form of torture, and in most ways it was - especially for people suffering of claustrophobia. You've seen them in "medieval" movies countless times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oubliette
    Thank you very much!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

You're welcome.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    I lost a battle against Seljuks as Byzantine empire, even though I had clear terrain advantage and superior numbers.
    Did you have all general slots filled in?
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

talking of generals, at the moment i am so powerfull and influential that i can spend the Pope of Rome as a general, as he is a bishop of mine and a former anti-pope.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post

And ironically, there is a Game of Thrones mod. And this game is perfect for it

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ame-of-Thrones
    I try to go that page, but it doesn't allow me.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

register your game
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

A very weird thing happened today. I was playing as a character named Jean de Blois today, who is a good general but is a coward. Then I played Victoria II as France, and the SAME character came up as a general with nearly same traits and cowardly behaviour. Jean de Blois was also the name of that 19th century character. Is it a coincidence?

Probably. I just created a lot of Nobles (invited them to my court) and a *lot* of them have the exact same names
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    Probably. I just created a lot of Nobles (invited them to my court) and a *lot* of them have the exact same names
    But it is two same people in two different games with a difference of 900 years!

And now I encountered Jean de Saint Arnaud as a navy admiral in Victoria II, who is my Court Chaplain in CK2 when I am playing duke of Anjou. And I also got Alphonso Cabrera as a random knight during a battle in CK2 when playing as King of Leon, that knight is actually the general of my 'Spanish Italian Garrison' in Europa Universalis 3. WTF!

It seems like they don't change the names very much.

I now officially have 3 landed D'Ibelin families in my game.

Double A's Avatar person man

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    And now I encountered Jean de Saint Arnaud as a navy admiral in Victoria II, who is my Court Chaplain in CK2 when I am playing duke of Anjou. And I also got Alphonso Cabrera as a random knight during a battle in CK2 when playing as King of Leon, that knight is actually the general of my 'Spanish Italian Garrison' in Europa Universalis 3. WTF!

It seems like they don't change the names very much.
    It's the same dev. Reusing name pools is a good use of resources, especially because cultural names don't change a whole lot over the centuries (but they do seem to get shorter).
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    It's the same dev. Reusing name pools is a good use of resources, especially because cultural names don't change a whole lot over the centuries (but they do seem to get shorter).
    Indeed, I agree.

By the way, what is the best Emirate to play in 1066 Fatimid Caliphate? And what would be the best Muslim count (Sheikh) to play?

Double A's Avatar person man

Start as the Caliph in 1066 and just check out all your vassals, then resign and play as them.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Indeed, I agree.

By the way, what is the best Emirate to play in 1066 Fatimid Caliphate? And what would be the best Muslim count (Sheikh) to play?
    Play as the Zirid Sultanate. Two county sultanate with one vassal that is more powerful than you. Lotta fun, but your neighbors to the east in Cyrenica are cockbag Maghrebs that will refuse your vassalization attempts, so you have to destroy them.

Started a game as the Zirid. Before I could do much, Robert I declared Holy War for Tunisia on me. He dragged the Pope into the war, and Pope called in the ultimate steamroller titled Kaiser. After two months of calm, a big fleet lands a combined Imperial-Papal-Apulian army of 20,000 strength and they assault my fortresses, and my warscore goes to -100. Immediately they force surrender and game is over.

Second game was as a minor count of Druz in the Fatimid Caliphate. All went well until one day, I was left without an heir. My heir came of age, and I felt relief as now he was able to reproduce. Wrong! That bastard Yousefid Emir declared independence along with Hashimids as usual, and this time the Caliph captured my heir in battle when the stupid Yousefid raised my levies. Just then, his weak and infirm father died and leaves him to govern the county. From inside the jail. The new Sheikh couldn't even get married and spent 3 years in prison, and then died. Poof! Game over.

My Zirid game was friendly enough for me to conquer through Italy until there was nothing left but the Kaiser and myself. That loser Hannibal wasn't invited to the celebrations after we burned down Rome.