Page 68 of 313 FirstFirst ... 184358596061626364656667686970717273747576777893118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 6248

Thread: Crusader Kings 2

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

Depends on where you are in the world. Some areas have crazy upgrade possibilities while other have virtually nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Longueval View Post
    Here i come with a question again, i want to usurp the title of Valence's Emirat, but i show me in red that i havn't enought money (177) but i actually have 222 gold. Why does the game is telling me that ?
    You can't usurp if the current holder is at war.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Ascarona View Post
    Alright, starting off the earliest, what's the normal income that you normally achieve after ~20 years? Because I picked the duke of Athens and I'm still around 2,5 gold a month, I bought 2 village upgrades for in the castle and the market and the harbour for in the city.
    Are the counties of the Duchy yours? If they are not, those upgrades give gold to the Earl/Count, and if you don't have Fuedal Taxation enabled, you won't get a dime from them if the city/barony isn't part of your desmense.

Check the opinion and tax rate by clicking on your portrait, selecting the vassals tab. That will show you your tax income by vassal.

If they are yours, check the opinion. If the opinion is going down, so is your income.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ascarona View Post
    Alright, starting off the earliest, what's the normal income that you normally achieve after ~20 years? Because I picked the duke of Athens and I'm still around 2,5 gold a month, I bought 2 village upgrades for in the castle and the market and the harbour for in the city.
    How much land do you have? As the Kingdom of Poland, I had 7 or 8 counties under my control, and i was making around 9 gold a month, and that was not even by the end of the 5 years. As Athens you start with only 1 territory directly under your control, so you would not make that much gold, even if you upgraded your harbors.

Anyway, here's a link to a fun mod i found over on the the paradox forums. Its called Broken Kingdoms, and what it does is remove the kingdoms and empires from the start of the game, leaving all the direct vassals independent. Here's a few pics of what it looks like.
    Pictures
    Last edited by Ciciro; April 21, 2012 at 07:37 PM.

If I could give that mod a body I'd have sex with it.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

The east must be great craic with that mod.

playing as Navarra now and think I blew my sucession. Are there any hints on how to best do a Gavelkind succession?

I was just waging a massive war to gain Valencia, possible mainly due to France lending me their troops when my king died. With all the land distributed my new king is extremely weak. Given the only Christian realms in Spain really live and kicking is me and Barcelona, I'm kind of worried that without some good solution I'll get decked. My own troops can barely stand up to one Muslim opponent (after trashing the one county emirates around) so without mercs or foreign aid I'm a goner, add domestic civil war and things look bleak.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

After you have the first son, do away with your present wife and marry a wife who is chaste or celibate, or over 45. But chaste or celibate isn't a guarantee, in my current game my first rulers 4th wife who was a celibate 16 year old had a daugher when he was 73.

If you end up with more than one son, make the extras Bishops.

But that's really only good for 1 or 2 generations. After that it gets really messy, because you can't really control what you son does with his children. If your first ruler has one son and that son has 3 who make it to 16 and get married, you lose control over demesne. Then you end up wasting a lot of time and energy beating down rebellions.

I've played 3-4 games with gavelkind, and it always falls apart within a few generations because of rebellions by dynasty claimaints who want this duchy or that county. I never play gavelkind anymore. The demesne bonus just isn't worth it to me.
    Last edited by xcorps; April 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by xcorps View Post
    Are the counties of the Duchy yours? If they are not, those upgrades give gold to the Earl/Count, and if you don't have Fuedal Taxation enabled, you won't get a dime from them if the city/barony isn't part of your desmense.
    They aren't, I only own the castle. But I figured that if I bought those upgrades for my vassals in the city/church then they in turn can make enough money to fully develop the place on their own. And I thought they still have to pay me a percentage of their income so it would still be a win for me.

Check the opinion and tax rate by clicking on your portrait, selecting the vassals tab. That will show you your tax income by vassal.

If they are yours, check the opinion. If the opinion is going down, so is your income.
    Crap, I didn't think opinion would matter? I thought there was a set percentage (in laws) that decided how much they would give me...

Okay so what should I do then? I'm trying to expand my lands but I'm stuck in that goddamn Byzantine empire.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Opinion has a huge effect on income. At 0 opinion or above, it's 100% of the possible tax. Every point below zero drops income by 1%, so a -50 opinion is -50%. AFAIK, Fuedal Tax starts at None, you have to change the law to get income from your counts and earls.

They aren't, I only own the castle. But I figured that if I bought those upgrades for my vassals in the city/church then they in turn can make enough money to fully develop the place on their own. And I thought they still have to pay me a percentage of their income so it would still be a win for me
    It is, but only long term. You won't see the investment return for decades. I'm currently in a game with scotland where I have du jour scotland, all of ireland, all of brittany, 2 counties in iberia, and 2 counties in sicily. My beginning income was about 8, and my current income is about 30. This is about 200 years into the game. All the demense cities have the maximum upgrades for income allowed by tech, I've built I think 4 coastal cities and upgraded those, and built I think 5 castles and upgraded those. It takes a LONG time to get a decent income flowing. I'm looking at perhaps another generation before I get to a 100 income.

http://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza..._maximization/ is a very in depth breakdown of the tax system.

Basically, you want to upgrade the tax buildings that you own first. Then you have to expand your demesne to include the county so you are getting the tax from the cities and hopefully the bishops as well as the barony. The easiest way to do this is through a plot if it's available, if not you have to bite the bullet and revoke as you can't usurp your vassals titles. Plotting can be difficult if the title holder you want to plot revoke has vassals who have a high opinion of him. Use your chancellor to sow dissent if your state diplomacy is higher than his state diplomacy. When you invite someone to a plot and they say no, examine the reasons (when you hover over the NO scroll for the tooltip, you'll see the reasons and the rating. You want more green + than red -.) Sometimes a gift will raise a potential plotters opinion of you high enough to convince them to join the plot. The amoral and policitally concerned plotters are by far the easiest to convince.

Okay so what should I do then? I'm trying to expand my lands but I'm stuck in that goddamn Byzantine empire.
    There's only three ways to expand outside your du jour demesne. War, inheritance, and invitation.

War is the fastest, but you are limited by causes belli. War against the infidels gives you the easiest causes belli, but is extremely difficult due to the size of the Muslim hordes, the alliances of the Muslim hordes, and the time it takes to change culture and religion after you manage to win. And then you have to worry about the Muslim nobles wanting the property back.
    Wars with fabricated claims are more random, but if you can find the right independant, the fastest. It requires the least amount of effort and planning. I should qualify "fastest" to mean that you might get a causes belli quickly or never. You have to pay a fee of gold and prestige to use the claim. Sometimes that fee can be prohibitive. Sometimes it's worth going into "Lack of Funds", it depends on how you are positioned when the claim is used. Fabricated claims have to be used in the lifetime of the claimaint.
    Wars with pressed claim causes belli can give you a lot of growth with a lot of effort and planning. It has it's own set of problems because you don't automatically get the title you press, it goes to the person for whom you pressed the claim unless that county is part of your du jour holdings or the claimaint is a member of your dynasty. Bringing that person into your demesne (IF your can arrange it, many times pressing a persons claim simply changes the ruler into someone who has a high opinion of you) and then revoking the title will work, but you have to deal with the fallout, such as opinion hit and likely rebellion. In the long run, it's worth it because you get the title.
    A matrilineal marriage can bring the county of a claimaint for whom you pressed for war into your holdings but only through inheritance..this is the easiest way to get large holdings like duchies or kingdoms, unfortunately you have to find the right claimant who is far enough down the line of succession that their leige will accept a matrilineal marriage..and then you have to win the war. If you want to use the matrilineal marriage, you need to allow for a few generations or do some serious plotting and disrupting to put the duchy or kingdom you want to fight in a weak position to avoid a long war. It doesn't do you any good to fight a succession war if the heir dies of old age doesn't have an inheiritable claim.

Winning a crusade will also get you a lot of land, but you really have to be ready for it. I managed to win a Crusade for Sicily, and my demesne went from 11/11 to 41/11. That's about a -200 opinion hit, and my entire kingdom rebelled. I had to reload twice to figure out how to distribute the property to keep my vassals from revolting. (The vast majority went to the Papacy)

Invitation is extremely unlikely unless the person you are inviting is of the same culture, religion, part of your du jour title and has a high opinion of you AND you have some power. It's not likely you'll be able to use invitation until you have already expanded a great deal.

Inheritance is slow and tricky, because you have to insure that the person you are marrying gives you the actual inheritance and not just a claim. And then you have to worry about the possibility of loss of inheritance because of a change in the ruler of the title you want, death of the heir, or an usurper. Then you have the usual worries of other pretenders pressing their claims. If you inherit a title that is the du jour holding of a foreign duchy or kingdom, be ready to lose it, because the AI will press a claim if it thinks you don't have the power to hold it. A war for a title you are trying not to lose can really put you in a bind. One lost battle can disrupt your kingdom building for a century. The AI is pretty smart from what I've seen when it comes to pressing a claim against you. It will wait until you are broke enough not to hire mercenaries and your levy is either engaged in another war or depleted. Then you're screwed unless you have an strong alliance AND that alliance ruler has a high opinion of you AND the alliance holder doesn't like your attacker AND your alliance holder is able to send troops AND the troops will arrive in enough time to save your biskit.

Starting as a single county or duchy is the easiest way to learn the game, but don't plan on a Risk like expansion of territory. It takes generations. Concern yourself with getting inheritable claims, children with good traits, marriages with solid alliances, and holdings that have a good infrastructure. Build up prestige, position your dynastic members for holdings. Your first leige sets the groundwork for your fourth and fifth leiges expansion.
    Last edited by xcorps; April 22, 2012 at 02:52 PM.

DukeofBrunswick's Avatar Miles

Gavelkind?

NO NO NO.

Say you had one ruler who lived for 75 years and conquered vast amounts of land. The moment he died, all his hard work is wasted and the dynsties holdings are instantlly split between all his male children (Not even fairly) Leaving you playing as his heir with jackshit.
    Australia: A land of bronzed bodies and wonderful football.

This signature is a solemn promise that no new Call of Duty game shall be purchased by me until a new engine is produced for the game.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

"Du jour"? Are you trying to correct a falsely perceived typo there, xcorps?
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

The HRE decided he wants to take away the duchy of bavaria from me. i said no.

53,067 soldiers. HOW THE CAN HE RAISE 53K SOLDIERS?! ALL THAT WHILE ALSO AT WAR WITH FRANCE!

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

HRE blob!
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzerfreund View Post
    "Du jour"? Are you trying to correct a falsely perceived typo there, xcorps?
    Lmao. I had to go back and correct demesne and matrilineal so much I missed it.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Empires are seriously OP without mods.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My Navarre can field more troops than the HRE in my unmodded campaign.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

who knows how to transport my army as william the conquer over the sea? i just cant get it to work.

You have to split your army in half load one half, Land, and then load the other half

DukeofBrunswick's Avatar Miles

The Holy Order the HRE have shouldn't be able to attack you if your not Muslim?
    Australia: A land of bronzed bodies and wonderful football.

This signature is a solemn promise that no new Call of Duty game shall be purchased by me until a new engine is produced for the game.