Thread: Crusader Kings 2

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

Btw am I the only one that spends hours reading historical articles whenever I play this game?
    Most of my knowledge of Rus territories, Piast Poland, Muslim dynasties is direct consequence of this game.

Hadrian's Wall and the Pyramids are now visible in the map. Oh, 2.5 is released tomorrow, if you want to continue your iron man campaigns it's better to opt out of it in Steam.

====
    The renders are also being previewed, including female council members.

====
    Any of you got 2.5 yet? Conclave seems like it adds many interesting features (though it seems to make the game actually easier, and to me it appears to copy mods too much), but 2.5 is obligatory.

Reading what people report, it seems it all could easily be resolved with two measures:
    - Regarding shattered retreat: The distance a defeated army retreat is fixed with a distance number. So they retreat more provinces in dense areas of the map and less provinces in sparse areas of the map. All in all, they should retreat in the direction they came from.
    - Regarding coalitions: coalitions should form either around the area you annexed or among people you actually can attack. Religion should be accounted (I don't really think people cared much about the CK2 concept of culture, i.e. ethnolinguistical distinctions to make it matter here). Multiple coalitions against a realm should be possible. So the HRE annex Pomerania through Holy War and France through claimant CB? Then two coalitions could form, one for pagans, other for bordering Western realms.
    Last edited by Yayattasa; February 03, 2016 at 07:26 PM.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Worst update ever. The game feels now like a pale EU copy. You are not even free to betray your brother in law anymore !
    Thus us a huge let down imo. I do not know what the team is thinking about but they are destroying the essence of CK2 with their change : the personal drama

I went back to 2.4.5 after 10 minutes of game

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Btw am I the only one that spends hours reading historical articles whenever I play this game?
    Most of my knowledge of Rus territories, Piast Poland, Muslim dynasties is direct consequence of this game.
    You are not alone. Most of my (limited) knowledge of Central and East Europe during this era is a direct result of my gaming experience. Generally I play in one region and this motivate me to search as much info about it as I can.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    Worst update ever. The game feels now like a pale EU copy. You are not even free to betray your brother in law anymore !
    Thus us a huge let down imo. I do not know what the team is thinking about but they are destroying the essence of CK2 with their change : the personal drama
    Amen. I just loaded a save game and my alliance net is gone, there's weird new alliance rules, and I have no say in anything.

I went back to 2.4.5 after 10 minutes of game
    How? Edit Googled and retro'd. Much better now.

You are not alone. Most of my (limited) knowledge of Central and East Europe during this era is a direct result of my gaming experience. Generally I play in one region and this motivate me to search as much info about it as I can.
    Ditto. I have a fair knowledge of the classical period and early modern but 500-1500 its been CK and EU events to a surprising degree followed by "wut? did they really...?"
    Last edited by Cyclops; February 06, 2016 at 12:02 AM.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

I do have to admit I am not exactly hyped with the direction that Paradox is taking CK2. They keep on adding new mechanics that don't really work and then take months to "fix" them, or then just leave them hanging around without any real use like they did with retinues.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Seduction focus is the most annoying thing ever, though, out of all the other issues. I cannot even have my daughters come of age without them getting Lover's Pox at the age of 16 and popping out 2-3 bastards by the time they are 19.

In my last game I changed 8 wives as a single character within a span of 3 years. Why? Because one random count on the other corner of the realm, that I didn't even know about, kept shagging them one by one. I used console to check my 5 kids and two of them are secretly fathered by him.

सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Kill him.

Is it just me or the French-England wars are all screwed by the irrational AI behavior of France?

Here's how they always go:
    -England lands troops in France, starts besieging territories.
    -France lands troops in England to counter, starts besieging mostly London. (why would they do that instead of defending in France???)

---->England occupies the land it needs faster, wins the war without fighting a battle.
    or
    ---> France rushes back to defend, gets crashed by England due to halved morale after landing, loses the war.

In short, England wins 99% of the confrontations.

That's messed up.

Next patch (game customizer) and DLC (epidemics and physicians) are being hinted already, and I noticed people talking about how the plague didn't kill much people in their games.

I play with HIP, so I'm not sure if it's the norm in vanilla. In this still ongoing game I'm playing as the Artuqlar Sultanate (related to the Seljuks) in Al-Shams (Syria). Vassals included at the time all of Egypt, Palestine, East and North Africa, Anatolia and Georgia (I also added Southern Iberia, Arabia, Al-Iraq and Thessalonica a bit latter). Mongols had already been contained (oddly, they became Hindu, but latter converted to Catholicism). So, the Plague hits. I was tackling a rebellion at the time if I remember right. The "kinsmen died" message started spamming, didn't stop for years. My Dynasty went from ~600 family members to roughly 300. Lost a few sons and daughters, but the game doesn't like killing the player with diseases it seems.

If the plague becomes deadlier they (PDX and HIP team) better adjust some parameters.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

They shuld either pull the plug completly, or just fix what is there to fix.

Not bring out another overpriced dlc that creates 2 funny situations, and 50 bugs and imbalance issues

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

It is long time since I reached the Black Death pandemic (or played vanilla for a meaningful time) but in my memories I lost at least half of my dynasty. As the whole it was a massacre. I used to loose so many uncles, brothers, children and vassals that I could hardly manage them properly.

I do not know. I feel little need for such dlc. Even regional epidemic feel right when I play. Maybe natural/accidental/disease death should happen a little more often. A a small boost in infant death and maternal death.

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    They shuld either pull the plug completly, or just fix what is there to fix.

Not bring out another overpriced dlc that creates 2 funny situations, and 50 bugs and imbalance issues
    I agree.

I am not entirely happy with the game direction. It is not new. I miss the initial warfare that focused almost exclusively on siege for example. At least previous dlc offered at least new area and new starting date to play (Swords of Islam, The Old Gods). I skipped Conclave I am probably going to do the same with this dlc. I hate all the change they brought with Conclave and I have no intention to play with more recent patch anyway.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I haven't played CK2 in a long time and have been thinking about getting back into it recently. Definitely don't like what I'm reading here :p

The expansions are not disasters, as some would have you believe.
    Conclave was a novelty at first, definitely makes things more "in depth" when it comes to every king not being an absolute monarch. In my experience, the coalitions rarely do much to stop you, either.
    In short, the changes aren't bad - just ridiculously overpriced for what could have been implemented in a patch, if at all. The base game survives on its own just fine without them.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    I haven't played CK2 in a long time and have been thinking about getting back into it recently. Definitely don't like what I'm reading here :p
    Yeah, they've done some really stupid changes, like EUIV/modern era style coalitions. Don't know about the current state of the base game though (last game I played was GoT mod with Horse Lords state of the game), it seems to be a real mess for quite some time now.

Most of the recent expansions seem to have been really poor/meagre or outright gamebreaking. (Conclave, Charlemagne, WoL]

Mike Louis's Avatar Laetus

When I bought the Conclave DLC and updated my mod to the 2.5.x patch, I had to mod in a new minor title with voting power called Peer (called Senator in Byzantine / Italian realms, Elector in the HRE / German realms, and Elder if you're Jewish). Because the grant limit is limited to one, I had to code in 20 sets of Peer minor titles (Paradox said they'll add mod support for voting minor titles with multiple grant limits). The reason I for modding in the Peer minor title was because there wasn't enough slots on the vanilla council for all my powerful major vassals, and I wasn't about to compromise on the quality of my inner council (Chancellor, Marshal, Steward, Spymaster, Court Chaplain). So with the Peer minor titles that I modded in, I essentially turned my council into my realm's version of the Roman Senate / British House of Lords so that my major vassals won't start "Increase Council Power" and other stupid factions the minute my ruler's back is turned.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Well I am playing CK2 plus+ with all dlc (except sunset invasion), and enjoying it wholeheartedly. I am RP'ing a viking dude- using the character creator I gave him stats based on myself and his portrait kinda looks like me too hehe
    It is the Charlemagne start, and I am just about to go on my first raid to England (and I still have 15 years left before start of viking age, so I get first grab at anglo-saxon treasures/ monasteries as none of the other viking have ships yet).
    I was looking forward to raiding with Ragnar Lodbrok but he died as 8 year old due to illness
    After Ragnars death I killed Ragnar Lodbroks father Jarl Sigudr 'Ring' in a personal duel and (imprisoned Ragnar's younger brother then executed him). I took Ragnars mother as my concubine and enjoy a good tumble with her every now and then- the old dowager is post-menopausal (best natural contraception), so I don't have to worry about having too many sons and fracturing my realm after my char dies.
    I am now Jarl of Svipjod and one of the most powerful figures in Scandinavian.
    Last edited by Stario; June 08, 2016 at 04:52 AM.

So they announced a new dlc dedicated to plagues and diseases.

Seems they go the silly route now:

• Bad poetry. Rulers with the Poet trait may deploy their very worst poems against a prisoner. While a comparatively mild punishment, it nonetheless has a slight chance to drive them mad.
    • Consume. Rulers who are either Possessed or Lunatic and also have the Cannibal modifier may simply eat their prisoners. If you haven’t disabled fantasy content, this may lead to you “gaining the power” of your victim.

I mean, castration and incest marriage were fun, but this sounds way over the top.

So they announced a new dlc dedicated to plagues and diseases.

Seems they go the silly route now:

• Bad poetry. Rulers with the Poet trait may deploy their very worst poems against a prisoner. While a comparatively mild punishment, it nonetheless has a slight chance to drive them mad.
    • Consume. Rulers who are either Possessed or Lunatic and also have the Cannibal modifier may simply eat their prisoners. If you haven’t disabled fantasy content, this may lead to you “gaining the power” of your victim.

I mean, castration and incest marriage were fun, but this sounds way over the top.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

A gripte I have with the upcoming expansion is...cats. Seriously? In a game where you have even abstracted the Roman and Indian governments into quasi-Frankish feudalism, Romuva and West Africans are missing tons of events and flavour, the dung Conclave peddled was still not fixed...and they decide to go and put their development time, effort and money in depth for an animal, absolutely and completely insignificant to history or medieval era?

Toggleable rules sound awesome though.

But I fear the new development team is as incompetent as CA was during Rome 2 - aimless in direction and adding nonsense stuff in one field while ignoring the other without thinking of fixing the stuff they broke earlier.

The main dev team is gone. Aimless, incompetent newbies are now in charge, and they are working hard to implement their silly ideas. They even don't tarry in using patches to do so. This is exactly how you ruin a game that was reaching a great level and had stellar potential, turning it into a ruinous orgy of toilet humour and random references (similar to some VIET events), except even worse.
    Last edited by General Maximus; August 14, 2016 at 01:36 PM.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    But I fear the new development team is as incompetent as CA was during Rome 2 - aimless in direction and adding nonsense stuff in one field while ignoring the other without thinking of fixing the stuff they broke earlier.

The main dev team is gone. Aimless, incompetent newbies are now in charge, and they are working hard to implement their silly ideas. They even don't tarry in using patches to do so. This is exactly how you ruin a game that was reaching a great level and had stellar potential, turning it into a ruinous orgy of toilet humour and random references (similar to some VIET events), except even worse.
    Yeah, the newbies have completely lost it. Such a shame. There was still room for improvement.