Page 292 of 292 FirstFirst ... 192 242 267 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 5840

Thread: Crusader Kings 2

Basil II the B.S's Avatar Equites Cohortales

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

I honestly don't see it happening. The game is fairly strict in adapting all cultures and religions to the same vassallage system, they'd have to rewrite half of the game.

But at least we should get an interesting part of Byzantine history,Bulgarian invasion and Iconoclasts emperors.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; August 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM.

Salah ad Din Yusuf's Avatar Vexillifer

Why do Jain rebel so much? Aren't they peaceful?
    • My name will live in marble and that of my enemies in sand.
    • Kol kalb biji yumu.
    • Ba'al hammon demands sacrifice.

General Maximus's Avatar Tribunus

Paradox should create a game about Rome instead of pushing the time back, I think.

I will buy that DLC in future, but not immediately. The chronicles system and customizable kingdoms/titles (which should've been there already with that customization DLC) sound interesting. Also, I will wait and see how the pre-feudal era works, and how many inevitable bugs are fixed. And the price tag is expensive, I recall the whole great game 'Banish' cost around the same amount of money.

But at least it will give me chance to castrate Charlamagne. Stop the great Karling plague before it even begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Salah ad Din Yusuf View Post
    Why do Jain rebel so much? Aren't they peaceful?
    Indeed, in history there has never ever been a Jain rebellion, and any Jain who took up arms unless in completely dire circumstances was kicked out of the community and considered a traiterous outcast.

And as a fact, Jains were a minority in history, unlike depicted in the game where they have majority of provinces in India.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    If someone is dancing on my bed when I am trying to sleep? Kill them.
    Quote Originally Posted by babydoc View Post
    Hippodrome has wrong number of rows for seats.
    No buy for me.
    Thats it I had enough!

stavrosole's Avatar Centurio
    Greece, ancestors from GREEK MACEDONIA&Constantinople

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    But at least it will give me chance to castrate Charlamagne. Stop the great Karling plague before it even begins.
    Or maybe play as the Karlings... and destroy everything!
    The Restoration of the Comnenoi
    Byzantium AAR with Vanilla Medieval 2 Total War

Candy_Licker's Avatar Centurio

Start date pushed back again? Really?

I really hope they do a major rework of game mechanics too, not interested at all in the new start date.

Lmao, I found probably a glitch. The Drengot family of Capua randomly launches invasions on whoever holds the Kingdom of Bengal...King of lame seeing packs of 4000 soldiers for a total of 30k walking from Italy all over to Eastern India.

kambiz's Avatar Hastatas Prior

Seljuk invasion ! How to deal with them??? another one of my attemps eaily ruined this time with Seljuk doomstak How do you guys stop them?

Fortify Khivan cities in advance, if you lose a battle instead of getting chased and giving them even more war points, disband, let your stacks refill, regroup. Save money in case you need it for mercenaries, try to trick their armies to separate and take them apart.
    If you want to really feel like a pro and somewhat a general, know your territory; some regions are obviously faster tor each than others: know the routes, lure them into a trap dismantle them.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Pili Posterior

I am looking forward to the new dlc. Depending on the features I might take it full price or wait a 50+ percent sales. I am more tempted to do the latter.

I hope they will do something about gavelkind succession. So we could chose who get what even if the elder son take the biggest part. So we could truly create Lotharingia or any hypothetical succession kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Same, massively disappointed with this to be honest. They've just completely abandoned the original mechanics and idea of the game in favour of adding in loads of crap. At the moment Indian rulers have more depth than Christian rulers and they're just going to add in an earlier bookmark? Pointless.
    Despite my optimism about the future dlc I agree with this. It was so much better when wars were won by occupation alone and battlefields victories only served to decide who would get the initiatives. I feel that since then, the game has slowly lost its medieval flavor in many aspect. In my current Karling game, I have now a de-facto professional core of 7 000 warriors working as an Europa Universalis army in consequence of the retinue system. I only use vassal levies to end conflicts quicker instead of winning it with them.

The idea of retinue is not misplaced in itself but something went definitely wrong. The worst is probably that I created this uber army when I was Holy Emperor of the Roman (with Germany, Bavaria, Lotharingia, Holland, Burgundy and Italy under my control) but since then I lost the Imperial title and Italy + Burgundy + Lotharingia, even seriously expanded are supposed to support only half of my retinue. But since it is existing, only the complete lost of its units would force me to reduce its size.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; August 19, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
    The RTR Project

Interview of Tom Heaton
    , current studio director of CA by Gamasutra. April 30 2012. Enjoy.

Hmm, they might have to reduce the retinue for the early starting points then. If you start around 1066, they develop as most major kingdoms do, thus they don't make a huge difference since everyone a fairly big retinue army to start with.
    By the time Mongols are around having a retinue of at least 15k is necessary because otherwise you risk being ousted as soon as you lose a battle and your levies are gone.
    Not to mention you are unlikely to match their sizes anyways.

@Basil II the B.S
    I did use raising armies trick as well as recruiting majority of mercenaries availabele to Me. But their 35000 strong army was so powerful all of my units combined still failed also for some reason they never splited their army and avoided such traps. The fortifying thing is kind of doesn't work cause I was still early in my campaign so ecconomy was weak so I used the little money available on provinces being own by myself :p is there anyway to stop the invasion before it all begin?

Ahah nope, you can't avoid their invasion. The only way to stop them is to be well prepared. Max out your levies and retinues. Save money and everything else I mentioned above. I understand it can be very challenging but I can assure you they are beatable.

Thangaror's Avatar Princeps

I've been playing CK2 for a while now, but I think I didn't get every aspect of its mechanics.

So, I've an issue with my grandchildren.
    I'm playing the Premyslid dynasty (still following the old ways) and atm I'm King of Great Moravia. My issue is that as soon as my sons get a fief of their own, it seems I lose all control over them. If unmarried, they'll marry the very next women around, and even worse, I can't arrange betrothals/marriages for my grandchildren. On top of it, if a betrothal has been arranged and the children come to age, they simply won't marry. Due to this I lost opportunity to gain control over Pomerania.
    Is that normal? I can't recall this happening when playing a christian.

Another problem is, my wife was Duchess of Silesia and still independent from Poland. Consequently our eldest son inherited my Kingdom and the Duchy. However, he now is "going berserk", trying to subjugate Poland (LOL. Two provinces against a Kingdom. ). Well, of course I joined the war and of course we won, but this isn't going according to my plans. Due to Gavelkind succession I'll lose Poland to my second son, upon the King's death. So, is there any idea how to prevent that fool of doing crazy things? Gee, diplomacy in CK2 really should be more fleshed out.

Third, the (former) Queen of Poland controls vast swaths of the country. She's Duchess of Kuravija (or whatever the spelling), which de jure is limited to two provinces. But in my game, it's the entirety of Poland, except Upper and Lower Silesia. The "Duchy" of Greater Poland is limited to one meager province. That's just weird, and I don't know how that came to happen, or what I could do against it.
    I have conquered the whole de jure Kingdom of Poland, created all ducal titles and still nothing changes.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Middle-earth: Total War - Hérë Pelarcíryarwa - WIP Second Age mod

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Ahah nope, you can't avoid their invasion. The only way to stop them is to be well prepared. Max out your levies and retinues. Save money and everything else I mentioned above. I understand it can be very challenging but I can assure you they are beatable.
    It's possible to prevent it entirely, but it's a borderline exploit, since the only way one could know how to do it would be to have poked through the event files.

Got a cool custom title
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror
    I'm playing the Premyslid dynasty (still following the old ways) and atm I'm King of Great Moravia. My issue is that as soon as my sons get a fief of their own, it seems I lose all control over them. If unmarried, they'll marry the very next women around, and even worse, I can't arrange betrothals/marriages for my grandchildren. On top of it, if a betrothal has been arranged and the children come to age, they simply won't marry. Due to this I lost opportunity to gain control over Pomerania.
    Is that normal? I can't recall this happening when playing a christian.
    First, you can't control characters outside your court - that's why you can control your grandchildren if their parents, or your children, do not hold any land and are at your court. Second, betrothals won't result in marriage automatically, either side has to propose that the betrothed marry. Are you sure you proposed a marriage as the betrothed came of age?

Besides, never ever give land to your sons before arranging them proper wives. And then there's my own rule, never give land to your sons.
    Due to Gavelkind succession I'll lose Poland to my second son, upon the King's death. So, is there any idea how to prevent that fool of doing crazy things?
    Depends on which son you're referring to, but basically you'll need to get rid of gavelkind succession as soon as possible. If you can't reach high crown authority during the life of your current ruler, choose ultimogeniture (youngest child inherits) if you have multiple kingly titles, or elective monarchy if you only hold one kingdom.

On a side note, the way gavelkind succession works seems completely messed up to me. There's absolutely no logic as it comes to which titles are given to the other child(ren). It'd be great if you could at least choose which ones will end up with your heir.
    Gee, diplomacy in CK2 really should be more fleshed out.
    The fact that the diplomacy in Total War series is way worse used to make me want to cry. Although I'd like to see more diplomatic options in CK2 too, just like you.
    Third, the (former) Queen of Poland controls vast swaths of the country. She's Duchess of Kuravija (or whatever the spelling), which de jure is limited to two provinces. But in my game, it's the entirety of Poland, except Upper and Lower Silesia. The "Duchy" of Greater Poland is limited to one meager province. That's just weird, and I don't know how that came to happen, or what I could do against it.
    I have conquered the whole de jure Kingdom of Poland, created all ducal titles and still nothing changes.
    That's because all those counties are, de facto, vassals of the Duchess. Creating a ducal title won't give the creator any land, it just gives the holder of that title a Casus Belli to conquer the de jure counties of the duchy in question. If this Duchess is your vassal she shouldn't reign that large a region whatsoever (always try and keep your vassals weak), so revoking a couple of her titles (take the duchy first) is a good idea and will likely result to her rebellion, which is a good thing since it allows you to revoke even more of her titles without any penalties except for her lowered opinion of you (as if you would care), should you be victorious.

By the way, you're not the first one that has problems understanding the way succession and land holding works in this game. I was far more lost with these than you are back when I started. If you wish for a more thorough explanation on some of the mechanics of this game we'll be more than happy to help.

Also, your description was a bit vague in some parts so I might have misunderstood you, but I wish this was helpful nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    It's possible to prevent it entirely, but it's a borderline exploit, since the only way one could know how to do it would be to have poked through the event files.
    Yeah but that's borderline cheating.

@
    Thangaror

2 things: you need higher crown laws that will prevent your vassals to go around and conquer lands by their own and you either reform your Pagan religion or convert to an organized one. Reason being, as long as you are Pagan you are stuck with Gavelkind, which, as you've noticed, sucks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    What do you mean? Editing the events file? or using console?

Thangaror's Avatar Princeps

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    First, you can't control characters outside your court - that's why you can control your grandchildren if their parents, or your children, do not hold any land and are at your court. Second, betrothals won't result in marriage automatically, either side has to propose that the betrothed marry. Are you sure you proposed a marriage as the betrothed came of age?
    Yeah, I figured this out by now.
    But I didn't even get a notification.

Besides, never ever give land to your sons before arranging them proper wives. And then there's my own rule, never give land to your sons.
    I didn't. Gavelkind, you know...

Depends on which son you're referring to, but basically you'll need to get rid of gavelkind succession as soon as possible. If you can't reach high crown authority during the life of your current ruler, choose ultimogeniture (youngest child inherits) if you have multiple kingly titles, or elective monarchy if you only hold one kingdom.

On a side note, the way gavelkind succession works seems completely messed up to me. There's absolutely no logic as it comes to which titles are given to the other child(ren). It'd be great if you could at least choose which ones will end up with your heir.
    Unfortunately Gavelkind is the only succession law possible for pagans. I'm stuck with it. And I heartily agree that the King should decide which son inherits which title.
    The fact that the diplomacy in Total War series is way worse used to make me want to cry. Although I'd like to see more diplomatic options in CK2 too, just like you.
    The fact that you can't e.g support one Count's rebellion against his Duke, or prevent him for rebelling, or forming a temporal alliance without marrying (to weaken a common enemy), is driving me nuts.

That's because all those counties are, de facto, vassals of the Duchess. Creating a ducal title won't give the creator any land, it just gives the holder of that title a Casus Belli to conquer the de jure counties of the duchy in question. If this Duchess is your vassal she shouldn't reign that large a region whatsoever (always try and keep your vassals weak), so revoking a couple of her titles (take the duchy first) is a good idea and will likely result to her rebellion, which is a good thing since it allows you to revoke even more of her titles without any penalties except for her lowered opinion of you (as if you would care), should you be victorious.
    Alright! That's it, I get it.
    Just FYI, the former Queen of Poland had formed this massive Duchy and held it herself. After I subjugated Poland, I had to deal with it and gave the Duchy to a trustworthy person, i.e. my wife.
    By the way, you're not the first one that has problems understanding the way succession and land holding works in this game. I was far more lost with these than you are back when I started. If you wish for a more thorough explanation on some of the mechanics of this game we'll be more than happy to help.
    Yeah, it's confusing. It's not only the succession though, I also wonder how alliances work. I don't get alliances when marrying my grandchildren. And when one of my daughters died, the alliance was nullified, although my former son-in-law still was the father of my grandson. That doesn't seem very realistic to me.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Middle-earth: Total War - Hérë Pelarcíryarwa - WIP Second Age mod

For the alliance to be valid the marriage must be standing. If one of the partners dies, the alliance is over. Also alliances become valid only when both are adults.

Got a cool custom title
    Artifex

But I didn't even get a notification.
    That's weird, with the default notification settings you should get the "Betrothed can marry" reminder.
    I didn't. Gavelkind, you know...
    Unfortunately Gavelkind is the only succession law possible for pagans. I'm stuck with it.
    Oh, I didn't realize you were pagan. My bad. I can't really give any advice then since I've only played one 100-year-long game as a Pagan. It ended miserably upon my conversion to Christian...
    The fact that you can't e.g support one Count's rebellion against his Duke, or prevent him for rebelling, or forming a temporal alliance without marrying (to weaken a common enemy), is driving me nuts.
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure each of us has had their painful moments with the diplomacy. Although, unlike in TW, in CK2 the alliances do work. And I respect the way how Paradox have done their best to keep the diplomacy in keeping with the actual feudal regulations and practices, as clumsy as it may be at times.
    After I subjugated Poland, I had to deal with it and gave the Duchy to a trustworthy person, i.e. my wife.
    I would not trust even my spouse in this game, but that's up to you. It's pretty fine though as long as your wife, or anyone else for that matter, doesn't control half of your realm.
    It's not only the succession though, I also wonder how alliances work. I don't get alliances when marrying my grandchildren.
    Yeah, you only get an alliance through your siblings or children as far as I know. By the way, have you noticed that on the list of potential spouses the ones resulting in a marriage are marked with blue flags next to the character portrait?
    And when one of my daughters died, the alliance was nullified, although my former son-in-law still was the father of my grandson. That doesn't seem very realistic to me.
    Like Basil said the alliances are only valid as long as the marriage is standing.

Thread Information