Welcome to the SubMod for DarthMod 8.1 which has taken approximately 12 months since I first mentioned it. Actually a PM the other day reminded me I had the entire mod finished and lying around waiting to be presented. This mod has the endorsement of Darth, who may by now forgot I was even doing this.
I've decided to give it the typical Latin name associated with RTW mods and hence will be called Ager Romanus. Historically "Ager Romanus" referred to the surrounding land directly outside Rome. What you will be presented with is a very small fraction of a much larger mod that is not currently finished and will be done so later on (date unknown, but after my Kingdoms mod).
The mod is basically a texture update of the strat map which I believe adds a greater depth to the feel and look of the map. Unit and AI changes have not been made as these are essential DarthMod features.
What is Included in this mod.
1. Mini mods by Riczu changing strat map characters, ships, blockade.
2. Skins by Snake IV for Roman Generals and Captains for strat map.
3. Reintroduced original strat map banners for Roman Factions, no longer all with axe.
4. New campaign map textures.
5. Added 30 New Provinces.
6. Better aligned some province boundaries.
7. Removed secondary colours from mini map, altered some colours for faction.
8. Winter Textures for Strat Map by Charge
1. The Britons now start with Londinium only and must conquer (unite) all rival rebel settlements before an overseas expansion. This was done to curtail the quick overseas expansion that occurs currently.
2. The Scipii lose their starting position and fleet on Sicilia and start with one province (Capua). This stops their quick takeover of the mediteraenean.
3. The Brutii lose Croton and their fleet and this is a rebel greek settlement that must be taken before they expand overseas. Once again this is done to curtail early overseas expansion.
4. Julii start with 7500 Denari, to face the might of Gaul early on. The Brutii and Scipii start with only 2000 Denari to curtail them. Senate increased to 25000 Denari.
5. Carthage starts with 40000 Denari to help them be a super power early on. They also start with (Alaria) Corsica and (Olbia) Northern Sardinia.
You will notice the addition of (mostly) all new provinces have been given to the rebel faction, and for the most part do not contain a garrison. While at first this may appear as an exploit for the human player, it is serving a greater function for the AI. My reasoning here is if the the AI can easily take a handful of empty settlements early on, then the chances of building bigger and stronger empires is enhanced, thus making it harder for the human player to easily conquer a faction, or likewise the AI to kill off factions very early on.
The download is here
This does not come with an installer (it may do in the future) so you'll manually need to drop the files in the folders. Please be careful to take five extra minutes and backup the original files....especially if you don't like the changes.
How will you know if the mod is installed?
Good question, as this does not come with splash screen, you will need to start Ager Romanus in the Provincial Campaign screen which currently contains all the other mods (Risk Campaign, Europa 270BC etc). Ager Romanus will be the first campaign in the list as it starts with "A"
1.Rome - Roma
2.Osca - Tarraco
3.Campus Scythii - Olbia
4.Campus Getae - Tyras
5.Tylis - Appollonia
New Provinces: (30 in total)
Britain and Hibernia
Germania & Sarmatia:
Greece & Thrace:
Possible Future Inclusions:
1. Large Map including 197 provinces
2. New buildings - Coinage Mint, Slave Trader, Colonization, Latin Rights, Citizenship, Provincial Citizenship, Auxillary Barracks, Levy Field.
3. Complete rewrite of roman recruitment including 13 Legions.
4. Auxillary Troops cannot be recruited in Latinum, with the exception of Venetia, Cisalpine Gaul etc.
5. The historical limits of the Roman Empire will stop Roman troops being built outside, you will need to rely on mercenaries and local levies.
6. New units.
7. New Mercenaries.
8. Replace Roman Icons.
9. Better Water (for battle maps) by david.cool
10. Watchtower Mod by david.cool
11. Roman factions can build all roman temples
What fixes have been made to previous DarthMod:
1. Corrected original settlement ownership of all roman provinces to stop greek characters being elected to offices.
New Campaign Map Screenshots: Updated 01/07/2010
Features the new towns of Sirmium, Scodra and Naissus. Also shows the renaming of towns on Black Sea to Olbia, Apollonia and Tyras
Features the new towns of Rusaddir, Cartenna and Saldae.
Features the new towns of Burdigala, Bibracte, Gergovia, Vindelica and Aventicum
Features the new Provinces: Ulster, Caledonia, Damnonium and Tribus_Dobunnii.
Features the new towns: Saguntum, Hispalis, Segovia and Pompaelo
Plus I've re-added the Mediteraenean climate back into the game which now shows Italia, Hispania and Greece having distinctly different climate to everyone else. I also changed Cyprus and Crete to Mediteraenean rather than semi-arid which they were given in the original game.
Anyway that's all I've done for the time being and am open to suggestions. Basically, all I'm doing is adding a few new features to enhance the original game.