Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shogun 2; Evolution or Revolution?

Barbarian Nobility's Avatar Tribunus
    South Australia - Land of the Bogan and home of the serial killer

Default Shogun 2; Evolution or Revolution?

Its been explained previously by CA developers that TW games tend to come in evolutions and revolutions(tho i could have this back to front) meaning meaning that they come up with a concept ie. RTW which was revolutionary, then the subsequent game (M2TW) is an evolution in the original concept. Following this trend ETW would have been a revolution and NTW an evolution.

Apparently S2TW is using the same game engine as NTW, so does that make it another evolution? Or is it going to be completely different? Because whilst i enjoyed the way the game mechanics in battles worked, i wasn't particularly a fan of the campaign map layout (with stuff sprawled all over the joint) does it mean that S2TW will be the same?

Default Re: Shogun 2; Evolution or Revolution?

Where is the SOURCE that says it's using the same engine?

No source, i've just heard said repeatedly a number of times in this forum, warscape right?

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

it's probably a heavy modified warscape engine

it would be quite a waste to only make 1 game using the same engine (ETW), so they recycle that engine and adapted it to Shogun

same happened with GTA games, and yet each game is a ''revolution'' under your terms

RDR uses the same engine as GTA4, but it was modified (actually it was first made for RDR) to fit in RDR settings
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Ok, well first of all hey decided to drop the old revolution/evolution system and to make a new constant evolution cyvle where they remake parts of the engine instead of the whole one.

Second, people need to remember that NTW was only an expansion, not a fll standalone title. Think of ETW, NTW as barbarian invasions, and STW2 as M2TW. I think the main reason for this common confusion is that 1)NTW was standalone and 2)there were mini dlc expanisons to both games as well.

So basically, S2TW is the second major game in the warscape engine, and it is likely that future TW games will also be using the engine with changes.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

the warscape engine has alot of potential no need to make another

Definitely the "evolution" of this generation. Other than the addition of 'obstacles' in naval battles, there's really nothing new to it so far.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

Nothing of both, its a rip-off resulting in a money machine!

NTW in this respect is considered an expansion, so yeah STW2 is definitely the evolution after ETW's revolution.

I always thought NTW was a stand alone game not an expansion.....its just sooo much better than ETW....

Quote Originally Posted by ClothedBarbarian View Post
    I always thought NTW was a stand alone game not an expansion.....its just sooo much better than ETW....
    Well NTW is a standalone-expansion
    I´m not sure but I have read various times that Shogun2 will use the warscape-engine, so it is an evolution. Only the next title in the series will probably be a revolution by using a new engine.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Imo S II will be an Evolution for sure;polished graphics and with land-sea battles opportunities combined i think

I think that an eventual Rome II will be a revolutionary chapter,i.e a new graphics engine !

Quote Originally Posted by ClothedBarbarian View Post
    Its been explained previously by CA developers that TW games tend to come in evolutions and revolutions(tho i could have this back to front) meaning meaning that they come up with a concept ie. RTW which was revolutionary, then the subsequent game (M2TW) is an evolution in the original concept. Following this trend ETW would have been a revolution and NTW an evolution.

Apparently S2TW is using the same game engine as NTW, so does that make it another evolution? Or is it going to be completely different? Because whilst i enjoyed the way the game mechanics in battles worked, i wasn't particularly a fan of the campaign map layout (with stuff sprawled all over the joint) does it mean that S2TW will be the same?

Same engine +
    Same game +
    new textures +
    some new features +
    enhanched graphic -
    new bugs -
    old same bugs = make your conclusion

Lord Mandelson's Avatar Biarchus
    In the hearts and minds of the British public.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    the warscape engine has alot of potential no need to make another
    A small part of me just died.

KDK's Avatar Pro Rege Et Grege

Quote Originally Posted by ♔MorganH♔ View Post
    Imo S II will be an Evolution for sure;polished graphics and with land-sea battles opportunities combined i think

I think that an eventual Rome II will be a revolutionary chapter,i.e a new graphics engine !
    Lets hope so

MeenChawitTH's Avatar Miles

I heard CA ever say somewhere that their cycle will be

"Create->Develop->Create->Develop" in other word "Revolution and Evolution"

I am not so sure how previous titles followed this rule or not

but at least I'm sure that ETW->NTW->S2TW is following this cycle.
    Last edited by MeenChawitTH; June 18, 2010 at 06:20 AM.

its an evoloution

making a whole new engine takes years , if CA made a new engine it owuld take at least til 2013 to finish shogun 2

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Revolution:

Working (hopefully) melee combat in vast amounts and detail, exciting and working well (hopefully) sieges, land + sea battles (hopefully), character development (this one is a taken, since we will see that in the multiplayer mode, too ... not sure if immediately after release, though).

Evolution:

Graphics, graphics, graphics, graphics, graphics, graphics ... wait, did I just say graphics? Of course I didn't mention that!
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Duke View Post
    Same engine +
    Same game +
    new textures +
    some new features +
    enhanched graphic -
    new bugs -
    old same bugs = make your conclusion
    I don't get your system. same game is good but better graphics are bad?
    But any ways, many old bugs are fixed already from ETW and since they are not making a new engine there won't be the same level of new ones. I don't get your point here, is this supposed to say that revolution is better than evolution? Cause Empire was revolution.

But anyways, according to CA before NTW, THEY HAVE SCRAPPED THE OLD SYSTEM, and are now doing constant evolution. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I'll try and find a direct quote.

Revolution:

Working (hopefully) melee combat in vast amounts and detail, exciting and working well (hopefully) sieges, land + sea battles (hopefully), character development (this one is a taken, since we will see that in the multiplayer mode, too ... not sure if immediately after release, though).

Evolution:

Graphics, graphics, graphics, graphics, graphics, graphics ... wait, did I just say graphics? Of course I didn't mention that!
    Well the first one sounds more like evolution and the second like a distorted view of total war games. And remeber, like I just said, empire was a revolution. And every game in the series (maybe except for MTW I wouldn't know) has impoved the graphics, and I don't see where the problem is. Call me what you want but I simply wouldn't play NTW with STW graphics(at least in battles).
    Last edited by King Sama; June 18, 2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

does napoleon or empire actually utilize multicore CPU properly?

curious, how many total troops on a battle do you guys able to play empire/napoleon smoothly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast