Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadliest Warrior - Spartan Vs Samurai

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Deadliest Warrior - Spartan Vs Samurai

Go watch it on youtube... actually then again... well, it's up to you really

Spartan vs samurai is one of the few deadliest warrior episodes I actually agree with. And that I dont consider to be completely retarded.
    The samurais were not as great as they are in anime/manga. And the Katana, as nice they are to look at cant slice the hoover dam nor an abrahams tank.

The reason why the Samurai is considered to be so great is because Japan stuck with using swords for so long while the rest of the civilized world moved on to gunpowder, thus the western sword fencing as seen in the medival age pretty much died out.

edit : OH AND VIKINGS WOULD HAVE WON AGAINST THE EMO POEM WRITING SAMURAI!
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Internet fascists again, 'show not avaible in your country'. Makes me feel that I live in some kind of 3rd world without internet access or something ...
    Yup, in holland same prob.

Great show, but quite inaccurate. They don't take the warrior's skill into place just their weapons. That is why Spartan beats everyone because he can attack everyone but no one can hit him because he holds a cowardly shield the size of a cow.

Might as well call it Deadliest Weapons

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by lemoney View Post
    That is why Spartan beats everyone because he can attack everyone but no one can hit him because he holds a cowardly shield the size of a cow.

Each of the warriors used different weapons because they used what they needed. In Greece, a phalanx battle required you to have a shield unless you wanted to die quickly.

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I hate that damned show, they come out with some of the most bogus results. God everyone should know a Samurai would wipe the effing floor with a Spartan, or any other European warrior.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

KozCDVI's Avatar Domesticus

The Spartan has a big shield and a long spear, short leaf-shaped kni.. err, sword, and a helmet.

The Samurai has a katana, a wakizashi, maybe a yumi bow, or a long spear...

Its definitely close. But you can never really put two peoples against eachother, especially across time and out of their comfort zones.

A Spartan army might lose to a Samurai army but beat a Roman Legion, and the Samurai might lose to the Romans...

The Samurai lasted way way longer than the Spartans, so you could say them. Both were defeated more by time and technology than other armies.
    In an individual fight, its anyone's game.

“My mother taught me never to throw stones at cripples. My father taught me to aim for their heads.”
    - Ramsay Snow

The show is dumb at times but worth watching sometimes. I don’t think you can compare unless you take similars of the age, I suppose the nearest you get would be ancient Chinese.

One can only imagine if the Spartans had survived and changed up until the 16th C, though I expect they would be pretty much like knights of the era, just very hard ones!

…something like the English.

Really you have to compare armies of the day or it is pointless. I am rather hoping I will be able to mod such an occurrence into the game.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Quote Originally Posted by zezimasslave View Post
    Explain how the samurai would go about killing the Spartans 1000 v. 1000.
    I'm talking about an army, not the individual soldiers.

Explain how the samurai would go about killing the Spartans 1000 v. 1000.
    Same way as roman’s defeated phalanx armies, outflank them etc.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Samurai can %100 win i think. Their life style is fighting with tactics etc. Spartans are good but Samurai = Tactic man

This whole show is pointless and utterly moronic (I can't immagine how people get payed for that kind of work). Also comparing something from antiquity with something from medieval or even later periods is a way to go. :facepalm:

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

I know the whole show is absurd so I merely watched it for the entertainment value. It's nice to watch if you're able to suspend your disbelief.

The samurai would just shoot him with his longbow, penetrate the shield. Shield is usless with an arrow in it, if Spartan can't get it out. Then Samurais individual fighting skill would come into play.

Not to mention Samurai used horses, could easily ride around on horseback shooting the Spartan with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by MassRevolt- View Post
    The samurai would just shoot him with his longbow, penetrate the shield. Shield is usless with an arrow in it, if Spartan can't get it out. Then Samurais individual fighting skill would come into play.

Samurai had pikemen too, macedon pikes were an advancement on the shorter spear phalanx. They could pin the Spartans with them whilst flanking with cav and infantry.

Its not a fair comparison as 1,600 years [approx] exists between the fighting styles.

Quote Originally Posted by InF3sTeD View Post
    Samurai armies were not made up of farmers and peasnants. Japan had a class system and Samurai were the top elite class. You could only be a Samurai if you were born into the class.
    A more apt way to have said "not all of them were amazing warriors" would have been to say "most of them were bureaucrats and tax collectors."

Not every Samurai kept up to date on the latest methods of fighting, and generally were relegated to official duties in managing the country in more practical matters... This was true even during the warring states to a degree.

Toshiro Mifune would own Richard Egan.

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Society View Post
    A more apt way to have said "not all of them were amazing warriors" would have been to say "most of them were bureaucrats and tax collectors."

Not every Samurai kept up to date on the latest methods of fighting, and generally were relegated to official duties in managing the country in more practical matters... This was true even during the warring states to a degree.
    Let's also not forget that there was an equal number of female samurai as male samurai, but most never got extensive weapons training. For the purposes of discussion though we can assume we're talking about samurai that trained for and fought battles.