Thread: Deadliest Warrior - Spartan Vs Samurai

Default Re: Deadliest Warrior - Spartan Vs Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander of Jordan View Post
    I'm on the spartan side
    oh, wrong person lol.

InF3sTeD's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by ManKinD View Post
    Well same goes for the fact that too many people have seen Samurai movies and think that every Samurai was a master at archery & sword fighting - the fact is they were not. Most of samurai armies was made up of farmers & peasnants (and some time even Tom Cruise) the Spartan army was raised for war, their birth rite -nothing else crossed their mind ...agh except for sum bum funwith their fellow soldiers - everybody needs a hobby i guess
    Samurai armies were not made up of farmers and peasnants. Japan had a class system and Samurai were the top elite class. You could only be a Samurai if you were born into the class.
    Last edited by InF3sTeD; June 18, 2010 at 01:42 AM.

♔Mandelus♔'s Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO V View Post
    Dito. Non-contest. A Samurai would win easily.

..and of course the Samurai spent time actually training .. the Spartans ..buggering little boys. Little wonder their institutionalised homoerotic totalitarian empire collapsed for want of manpower.

my2bob
    Ehm ... Pycho V,
    you afre making a biug mistake, because you are not talking about Sparta, you are talking about Athens! Spartians were in clear majority homoerotic, other greeks were. But even those who were, well ... they kicked the Persians in the *peep* and were well trained and good warriors!

However, this comparsions is not good, because there lay about 2.000 years between both and if a serious comparsion will be made, take ancient japanese warriors of the age of Sparta or even medival european warriors of the age of Samurais.

A comparsion between German Tiger Tank / King Tiger Tank of WW 2 and current M1A2 Abrahams of the US is the same way wrong, eh?

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):
    http://www.totalwar-zone.de/forum/in...39807329133e3f

Death smiles at us all, the only thing you could do is smile back!
    Mark Aurel, Roman General and Emperor

I'm the only one who thinks that this "show" is ridiculous?

I had some time and watched, in addtion the "samurai vs viking"
    strangely
    in this case the samurai won.......despite the fact that the Viking had the same or better equipment then the Spartan.

This whole "Deadliest Warrior" thing is completly illogical.

♔Mandelus♔'s Avatar Campidoctor

Of course it is rediculous as any "if, when, maybe...." but it is funny.

In German TV was / is a science series which makes this stuff also sometimes. There was a comparsions of Samurai vs. medival knight in special disciplines as climbing up a wall in siege, bow shooting and whatever else. So long as I remember the Samurai won most disciplines but not the direct fight.
    Another comparsion was between a Ninja with original weapons and equipment and a modern SWAT or military special branch man on a special obstacle course .... and whatever else for comparsions too. These were all in sum also not serious enough to make any rating who is better and so on ... but funny to see it.

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):
    http://www.totalwar-zone.de/forum/in...39807329133e3f

Death smiles at us all, the only thing you could do is smile back!
    Mark Aurel, Roman General and Emperor

ManKinD's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Mandelus♔ View Post
    Of course it is rediculous as any "if, when, maybe...." but it is funny..

Yes I agree - Its entertaining to watch - you cannot take it seriously though.

I couldn't take the show seriously after the episode about the IRA versus the Taliban. The IRA had a frickin' slingshot as one of their weapons.

HIC SVNT LEONES's Avatar Senator

Some Samurai also spent their time buggering their squires. Didn't really affect their prowess, now did it? It's not like homosexuals can't kill you. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Why is the Spartan's shield so great? I mean it literally dominates everything.

Yet when the Roman Centurion was tested, his shield wasn't even calculated into the fight. I mean, those shields were just more than defensive measures, you could do the same as the spartan and smack your opponent with it.

Don't think. It's the same with rabid Roman fanboys who will point out how Romans would use the scutum and how it would completely own everyone... though bashing someone in the head with a heavy shield with buckle or edge was standard procedure with every shield in existance.

What really makes me wonder is why the Japanese did never adopt shields (or abandoned it early), it seems the best and cheapest protection one can get before getting all the other stuff. Esspecially since they so focussed on archery.

A comparsion between German Tiger Tank / King Tiger Tank of WW 2 and current M1A2 Abrahams of the US is the same way wrong, eh?
    The tigers would sooo own the Abrahams every time!!
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

The whole Samurai vs Spartan question is a moot one. In 1vs1 it comes down to the individual skill and power of the fighters involved. You can't transport yourself magically into the past and pitch a Spartan against a samurai, watch who wins and through that lay judgement over an entire breed of soldiers.

Having said that, I do feel the need to point this out: Spartans were very well trained in 1 vs 1 combat, also. Ever heard of the Greek martial art Pankration? At one point, it was also featured in the Greek Olympic games, but the Spartans refused to enter in those competitions, because they couldn't gouge eyes etc. I personally feel that the Spartan would win over the samurai, but that's just that; my personal opinion. I won't state it as a fact.

The whole Samurai vs Spartan question is a moot one. In 1vs1 it comes down to the individual skill and power of the fighters involved. You can't transport yourself magically into the past and pitch a Spartan against a samurai, watch who wins and through that lay judgement over an entire breed of soldiers.
    This. Equipment alone doesn't decide the outcome of a duel. Terrain, weather, combatant's skill, experience and even pure luck comes into play. The whole debate has as much sense as "Superman VS Goku" argument.

Comparing the two armies is another matter, but even then there's many problem: like the commander's ability, terrain, weather, moral. And so many people just say "Samurai" or "Spartan" without specifying the era. A Japanese army from 12th century and 16th century is completely different in terms of equipment, tactics and organization. The same goes for the Spartans too; a Spartan army from the Persian wars and the Spartan army from the Cleomenean War was completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Mandelus♔ View Post
    Of course it is rediculous as any "if, when, maybe...." but it is funny.

In German TV was / is a science series which makes this stuff also sometimes. There was a comparsions of Samurai vs. medival knight in special disciplines as climbing up a wall in siege, bow shooting and whatever else. So long as I remember the Samurai won most disciplines but not the direct fight.
    Another comparsion was between a Ninja with original weapons and equipment and a modern SWAT or military special branch man on a special obstacle course .... and whatever else for comparsions too. These were all in sum also not serious enough to make any rating who is better and so on ... but funny to see it.
    It's a pseudo science series,if it would be a newspaper instead of a TV show
    it would be yellow press you can't take that serious

-Joker-'s Avatar Semisalis

Spartan owns Samurai all day long

KDK's Avatar Pro Rege Et Grege

:sparta:

I don't understand why so many people see such a great advantage in the shield, as the samurai hit the shield with a kanabo, the spartans arm should've been broken.
    That's the meaning of clubs.

Well, whatever.
    I don't think that there is any best type of warrior as they were all specialized in different kinds of fighting.

Robertclive's Avatar Primicerius

:sparta::sparta:

I like that show, its fun to watch, I like seeing them test the different weapons out. Cool to witness the type of damage they can do.

The Samurai would win in my opinion. If the Spartan used his shield in a 1vs1 dual he would be much much slower than the samurai, less able to react to the Samurai changing lines and attacking from different angles. Its always been my understanding the main purpose of the shield is the phalanx formation. No matter how strong you are and how much you practice using a shield, your still going to be slower than someone who isnt carrying one. I think the speed of a Samurai would eventually cause the Spartan to become exhausted and all the Samurai would need to do is inflict enough minor injuries to handicap the Spartan until a finishing blow could be made. A lone Spartan is not as flexible of a fighter as a lone Samurai is, and if you know anything about fighting flexibility is key.

Entertaining but idiotic show.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

That's got to be the most retarded show I've ever seen... really. Good for a laugh for 10 minutes or so, the IRA vs Taliban was particularly amusing, but seriously, I'm never gonna watch taht again lol

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Internet fascists again, 'show not avaible in your country'. Makes me feel that I live in some kind of 3rd world without internet access or something ...
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.