Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the castles be like forts in ETW/NTW or more like the castles in MTW2?

Default Will the castles be like forts in ETW/NTW or more like the castles in MTW2?

Will the castles be like forts in ETW/NTW or more like the castles in MTW2?

Also any hope of actual cities this time?

Barbarian Nobility's Avatar Tribunus
    South Australia - Land of the Bogan and home of the serial killer

Default Re: Will the castles be like forts in ETW/NTW or more like the castles in MTW2?

Im hoping more like M2, was much more entertaining IMO

Im also hoping cities as well, i believe they were walled settlements as well, by idk

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Will the castles be like forts in ETW/NTW or more like the castles in MTW2?

More like the castles in M2 probably. Unless they can finally solve pathfinding issues the cities from M2 are still too big.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

i really liked the M2 castle battles, you would have to scale the walls and also scale the walls of citadel and break down the gates

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

im soo thrilled for the multi layered assaults, since japanese castles had multiple defense layers

and the best difference from the citadels in med2tw, is that there's no huge settlements to walk by, so i expect some pretty intense fighting.. like minas tirith
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

i didnt find path finding too bad for MTW2 id rather have one or two bad path finding battles but a nice looking city then a plain castle with nothing to it and being so small

Hmm.. In my opinion I think there should be pauses between each layer of defence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the main wall was taken, men were able to rest and new soldiers and supplies were allowed in before the army made an advance to the next layer of defence.

That would be amazing IMO, and help make seiges something worthwhile and challenging. You don't just bring an army to a Japanese castle and take it in the matter of hours (although that is true in some cases) Seiges should be prolonged and be made a hassle and challenge both to assault and defend.

Hmm.. In my opinion I think there should be pauses between each layer of defence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the main wall was taken, men were able to rest and new soldiers and supplies were allowed in before the army made an advance to the next layer of defence.
    yes obviously, but citadels could be as big as citadels in med2tw, but there were inner patiums, gardens etc, not soo much wide open space

and maybe a few dozen meters but not huge wide space where only skimishes happened

i hope this concentration of walls and small spaces allow for intense battles
    Last edited by Swagger; June 18, 2010 at 06:13 AM.
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    yes obviously, but i meant they were as big as med2tw citadel... not at all

maybe a few dozen meters but not huge wide space where only skimishes happened

This !, hopefully !

KDK's Avatar Pro Rege Et Grege

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    yes obviously, but i meant they were as big as med2tw citadel... not at all

maybe a few dozen meters but not huge wide space where only skimishes happened

That could be nice

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

The real problem with the castles will be not the pathfinding but the archers animation.
    In M2TW archers can not voley their arrows near or at the base of the wall.
    That was i critical gap in the animations set.
    Samurai archers must be able to extend their bodies over the wall and "shoot" those that prepair to climb the ladders.
    What ever the shape of the castles will be that kind of animations must be developted.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    The real problem with the castles will be not the pathfinding but the archers animation.
    In M2TW archers can not voley their arrows near or at the base of the wall.
    That was i critical gap in the animations set.
    Samurai archers must be able to extend their bodies over the wall and "shoot" those that prepair to climb the ladders.
    What ever the shape of the castles will be that kind of animations must be developted.
    Lets hope they do that! This could also make it alot harder to take a castle

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

M2TW castles were absolutely awful and pathfinding nightmare, yet you will see something similar in the 'castles on a flat plain' type of castles you will get to see in the Shogun ... and then possibly smaller but easier to defend mountain castles (camp the courtyard/entry, shoot from the main gate) and coastal castles, which I reckon, might have some cannons to approach enemy fleets, if they really make it possible to have sea+land battles.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Yeah I'd appreciate a MTW: II style castle instead of an Empire fort. Empire's fort system was just literally the exact same fort with maybe a little variation in the surrounding countryside, very droll and boring. Not to mention they really sucked as far as fighting went in my opinion.

Med: II's siege system wasn't as boring, and it was kinda cool seeing your men fighting in the streets block by block

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Isaristh View Post
    Yeah I'd appreciate a MTW: II style castle instead of an Empire fort. Empire's fort system was just literally the exact same fort with maybe a little variation in the surrounding countryside, very droll and boring. Not to mention they really sucked as far as fighting went in my opinion.

Med: II's siege system wasn't as boring, and it was kinda cool seeing your men fighting in the streets block by block
    Streets were too narrow, AI units were constantly getting stuck at the streets and walls, AI had no idea which parts and when to defend, it just rushed back to the Plaza to allow you to kill it off from the walls, or bombard with artillery. Even the walls were screwed up, because missile units couldn't efficiently fire from the gaps when enemy was close enough. My memory of M2TW sieges is that they are: 1) boring 2) way too long 3) waste of time 4) you win them anyway no matter what.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Streets were too narrow, AI units were constantly getting stuck at the streets and walls, AI had no idea which parts and when to defend, it just rushed back to the Plaza to allow you to kill it off from the walls, or bombard with artillery. Even the walls were screwed up, because missile units couldn't efficiently fire from the gaps when enemy was close enough. My memory of M2TW sieges is that they are: 1) boring 2) way too long 3) waste of time 4) you win them anyway no matter what.

that perfectly describes empire siege battles

I really hope they go back to M2 style castles, empire forts were awful, and rome sieges took way to long to navigate the long winding streets. I found that most of the time in medieval II me and the AI would just go by the shorts path and not even try to flank or anything. I didnt really notice many pathfinding issues but i dont recall playing in a larger castles.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    exactly

cities were way to big and the AI had no wubing idea of using the tactics correctly

there's only 30 different units in shogun2, so this creates a high need for proper coding of tactics, since most armies will compose the same units (literally), so you cant rely as much in the use of different area units since they'll have the same ones, so you (and lets hope AI too) need to know how to make proper use of the terrain and landscape

i'm sure (=hopeful) this time they'll real focus on tactics and a intelligent AI!
    Last edited by Swagger; June 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM.

GTFO. Jamie's Avatar Decanus

i am hoping for something similar to the ME2TW castles.

I very much enjoyed having multiple 'level' which meant i could fall back to the next level and they would have another gate to bash down or more walls to scale.

Quote Originally Posted by GTFO. Jamie View Post
    i am hoping for something similar to the ME2TW castles.

I very much enjoyed having multiple 'level' which meant i could fall back to the next level and they would have another gate to bash down or more walls to scale.
    Yeah. That was simpley awsome just to defend a castle that way

but dont expect much of that just like you described

becouse these weren't concentric castles, usually the walls could already be attached/linked to the wall that follows (2nd row, 3rd etc) and the maneuvering space was slim so dont expect huge wide open spaces

think more like a maze of walls, patiums, gardens, etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast