View Poll Results: Which of these two options would you prefer?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single unit

13 19.12%
  • Multiple units

55 80.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recruitment

Goudvinger's Avatar Semisalis

Default Recruitment

Hi guys ,

There once was a time when we could only recruit one single unit per turn per city. This made you think a lot more on how to balance your economie and military. Personally I enjoyed the way this was done, and if I do recall correctly they continued the single unit recruitment untill Rome Total War, after which they made it possible to recruit several units per turn per settlement.

Those multi-recruitment turns always felt a little unrealistic to me, and made the game feel unbalanced. Out of the blue we can recruit entire armies, and in one single turn we can become the strongest faction on earth.

My questen to you guys is: Do you prefer the single unit recruitment of the multiple unit recruitment?

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Default Re: Recruitment

multiple

but i think the recruiment systen should be enhaced

for example, the addition of available manpower
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

CerealGuy's Avatar Centenarius

I liked how in MedII you could recruit units fast but it takes time to replenish
    I would like all units that are suitible for the year your on to be availible at the start i mean in Napoleon why do i have to wait til 1811 to recruit the old gaurd when it was availible before 1805
    CerealGuy/Friday before

what do tigers dream of?

KDK's Avatar Pro Rege Et Grege

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    multiple

I would like that

multiple

Manpower would be good, just like it was in Rome, it added to the immersion where you really couldn't recruit in that town because there were no civilians available. Whereas in Medieval 2 and so foou courth, you could pump out LEGIONS every turn, and the population just kept basically the same, it even rose!

It would be immersive in the terms that when you are defeated and you quickly escape to a far away province before loosing your last one, you realized this town's population was all there was to it.. your last subjects.. instead of in Medieval 2 you had just one settlement left and you pumped out armies and armies. I really didn't like in vanilla M2TW when factions like Venice or Milan had only one castle in an island and had like 3 or 4 stacks moving around and producing more.

And I go with multiple units because of the 3D map. In the old 2D maps it made sense you could only recruit one unit. Since you could move units between each province in one turn, you could quickly assemble a sizeable force in some 2 turns and move it to the frontlines quickly.

im tired of you can recruit whatever you want until your town is 400 of pop

we need divisions in man power

lets say your city is 10000 inhabitants

50% are man (assuming the natural laws), so we have 5000 man

of those 5000 man, 60% are fit for battle (excluding old people and youngsters)

so now we have 3.000 man fit for battle and recruiment

out of those 3.000, their training is divided into:

1- 2000 are normal trained

2- 700 are professional trained

3- 300 are expert trained

info: the man training is divided into the time they've been fit for training and the time they've been training (so the time they've been training = time they havent yet been recruited while being fit), each of the 1,2,3 is a sequence, over time they progress to the next level as they train.. this is just an hypotetical ''how will it work'', as CA can easly create an algorithm that calculates all that
    info 2- note that as the population increases, the available man also increases exponensially (sp?)

as they are recruited, the population decreases just like in RTW
    but back to the man available

those normal trained man if recruited as they are at that moment, they can ONLY be recruited as LEVIES, since that's the level they've been trained for, so they'll consist in the mass of the army, pikeman, archers.. etc

the professional man if recruited, will be used only as the best of the normal troops, so they would be like the heavier infantry with better armour.. etc

the expert man will be the best of the best, the samurais and such

so lets say you recruit 1 samurai, and 4 levies (assuming each unit needs 100 man [for easy comprehension]

the normal trained man will decrease from 2000 to 1600

and the expert traine man will descrease from 300 to 200

the overall man available is now 2500

the training could be something like:

each turn, normal trained is increased by 10% out of the total of not yet in training population (we had 5000, 3000 of them were already fit for battle [training], so it would be 10% out of those rest of 2000, the youngsters that have reached the proper age)

the professional trained man would increase 5% out of the normal trained man (these ones decrease their number in favor for the professional trained) so out of the 3000 normal trained man, 150 will be upgraded for the professional trained (professional trained will now be 750+150, and normal trained has decreased by 150, now having 1850, although their numbers would have increased each turn as said above)

expert man would be, let's say 2% of the professional, so if the professionals are 750, the next turn they would decrease by 15, while the experts would 300+15)

what do you think of something like this?
    Last edited by Swagger; June 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

multiple

Agreed...
    Just because there are X-number of people in a city does not mean all of them are capable of being put into a military unit. An "available manpower" number is needed which would be a percentage of the total population supposedly capable of bearing arms.

read above please, i sketched something i would love to see

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It would be rather complicated dont you think?.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

I don't want to get into the complications of trying to figure out how to make the recruitment system work but as long as I cannot rule a whole country from troops raised in a single provence I will be happy. Setting up an available manpower in each region will force you to spread your buildings out over your regions. Each time you take men from a provence you have to wait for the pop to catch up and replace the available manpower pool. That'd be cool.

those normal trained man if recruited as they are at that moment, they can ONLY be recruited as LEVIES, since that's the level they've been trained for, so they'll consist in the mass of the army, pikeman, archers.. etc

the professional man if recruited, will be used only as the best of the normal troops, so they would be like the heavier infantry with better armour.. etc

so lets say you recruit 1 samurai, and 4 levies (assuming each unit needs 100 man [for easy comprehension]

each turn, normal trained is increased by 10% out of the total of not yet in training population (we had 5000, 3000 of them were already fit for battle [training], so it would be 10% out of those rest of 2000, the youngsters that have reached the proper age)

the professional trained man would increase 5% out of the normal trained man (these ones decrease their number in favor for the professional trained) so out of the 3000 normal trained man, 150 will be upgraded for the professional trained (professional trained will now be 750+150, and normal trained has decreased by 150, now having 1850, although their numbers would have increased each turn as said above)

expert man would be, let's say 2% of the professional, so if the professionals are 750, the next turn they would decrease by 15, while the experts would 300+15)

Oh this too, I've tought about this lots of times. It also feels wrong when you could recruits lots and lots and lots and lots of knights. You ended up asking "wait, how did my kingdom end up with so many nobles?"

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    It would be rather complicated dont you think?.
    thats why difficulty levels exist

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

hmm well yeah i guess...

easier level, less complicated recruiment system

higher levels, more complicated (aka realistic) recruiment system

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Multiple. Single is way too slow.

Single, or much longer recruitment time. I'm quite tired of fighting 200 useless battles because you (and the AI) can produce troops as you wish.

"With such valorous troops, I could easily become King of Italy"
    Frederick II the Great, after the Piedmontese victory at the Battle of the Assietta (1747)

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Von G View Post
    Single, or much longer recruitment time. I'm quite tired of fighting 200 useless battles because you (and the AI) can produce troops as you wish.
    I'mquite tired of twiddling my thumbs in mtw waiitng to make a dozen units of swordsmen. Clicking the end turn button 24 times is not fun. PLEASE don't make us go back to that!

KDK's Avatar Pro Rege Et Grege

You read my mind. I would love to see this system too
    This will also make it more of a challenge to be a small faction. Because in NTW an example would be: Oldenburg can just spam inf from the capital without a limit and then own France

Manpower is a good idea. The rolling training system is just as arbitrary as any other system, so I'm not in favor of it over other solutions.

Multiple units at once though is a good idea. Single is just too slow. It also makes you gear every city towards a military bias, as you need every city producing troops to keep up.

read above please, i sketched something i would love to see

It's a good idea, better than what I've seen in any TW game so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast