Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new map: do you want an old school campaign map?

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: The new map: do you want an old school campaign map?

Quote Originally Posted by garudamon11 View Post
    NO
    This. At first I thought RTW and M2's 3d "living" map felt off. But then after playing it, I found it to be one of the biggest improvements. It vastly expanded strategic gameplay.

EDIT: whoops. NOT this. Having read the thread, I actually agree with CA's idea. If it retains the functionality of the 3d map but looks like a stylised STW1 map, that would be fine. It would have a more "Im in ur throne roomz, makin mah stratageez" feel too it.
    Last edited by MaximiIian; June 16, 2010 at 02:41 PM.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    You said: 'I want to be fighting over a world, not a boardgame', now you say 'I know it's not the risk style mtw map (being proposed by CA), (therefore) my answer is no'. Is it poor wording or change of mind?
    No I get you i just prefer the realistic look.

And yeah the amount of people who don't get it is amazing.

Yes.

I assume what we’re talking about here is taking the E:TW map and re-skinning it so it looks like a map instead of “real” life terrain (perhaps with contour lines for elevation). I am very much in favor of that, mostly for the atmosphere it gives. I don’t want to be God. I want to be the faction leader in a tent or war room, standing over a map with army tokens to move around. I feel more responsible for the results under that atmosphere. It feels older too… no spy satellites.

I also like picking up army and dropping tokens more than seeing them walk under their own power. On default settings they walk far too slowly, and after I push spacebar (which needs to be a better-documented feature, since you can’t live without it) they go too fast to do anything for the atmosphere. Besides, those tokens (the general or ship) are far too stylized for the realistic look of the map.

Dotted lines showing an army’s recent movement would be handy too. They’d add to the long-term campaign feeling.

In practical terms, province borders and ownership colors work much better on stylized maps. Passes and chokepoints could be made more obvious (they don’t get enough use!). Big province names will also help orient us, especially on maps we aren’t familiar with. I remember more province names from the original Shogun than Rome, even though I was more familiar with the Roman era before playing. You could add news buttons, summaries, and other information to a stylized map itself without it looking out of place.

I hope that helps.

YES

I would love that. And also the old token-style of your armies and ships. Mainly because of the same reason carlisimo wrote in the post above mine. btw. +rep to carlisimo - those are all very good points.

AND TO MAKE THINGS ONCE AGAIN CLEAR - only the graphics would go old school - 3D improvements are still present!
    On the first pages no one seems to get this

Yes.

I havn't played STW or the original MTW, so an updated stylised 3D map sounds very interesting and different. I'm all for it. Carlisimo, you bring up some excellent points and I totally agree with you.

3D maps must be kept, although it should be stylised to give it a different feel for a different period/place.

I think I'd prefer a stylistic map. The maps of NTW and ETW looked lacking I thought

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

I could go with either, so long as it looked cool and clearly displayed all the information you needed.
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

NO WAY!!!! And yes, I know what CA means. But I love the NTW map and would hate to see them divert from making beautiful maps like that.
    Last edited by Chyeaaaa111; June 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

I want the 3D maps but less vast and with less micro-mangement needed. Also what I REALLY would like is to be able to see my army like a little black cloud of ants on the campaign map instead of a giant titan representing them.

Evan

Yes to a old-school stylized map!

For three reasons;

1. Decisive battles which have a consequence, ie the loss or gain of a castle and province.

2. Gets rid of aimless stacks wandering around with no objectives fighting in pointless skirmishes.

3. Remember in Shogun and Medieval when your allies would help you in battles when they were in adjacent provinces?

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

If the location on the map has absolutely zero relevance to what the battle looks like, then I would support this, under the condition that there are separate battle and siege maps. The former could involve defeating the occupying army, and then besieging the castle (which would receive a number of hastily raised levies), and the latter could either be the result of the former, or the defender could choose to withdraw in to the castle with all of his forces intact which would initiate the siege battle. Of course there could be modifiers, like if you choose the withdrawal option then there could be a chance of an ambush, or if you have a (#) star general then if you choose to withdraw then it could result in perhaps ambushing the oncoming army. If a return to the 2D map system was implemented then CA would need to consider adding variables to jazz it up a bit, but overall I agree with the idea. The AI would actually be able to comprehend it effectively rather than the countless number of options and modifiers it has to consider on the fully 3D map of the previous incarnations of TW.

If they were being really ambitious then they could make it possible to toggle between the 2D and 3D map when starting up a new campaign (although not possible to change once the game has begun).

Product Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachus View Post
    If the location on the map has absolutely zero relevance to what the battle looks like, then I would support this, under the condition that there are separate battle and siege maps. The former could involve defeating the occupying army, and then besieging the castle (which would receive a number of hastily raised levies), and the latter could either be the result of the former, or the defender could choose to withdraw in to the castle with all of his forces intact which would initiate the siege battle. Of course there could be modifiers, like if you choose the withdrawal option then there could be a chance of an ambush, or if you have a (#) star general then if you choose to withdraw then it could result in perhaps ambushing the oncoming army. If a return to the 2D map system was implemented then CA would need to consider adding variables to jazz it up a bit, but overall I agree with the idea. The AI would actually be able to comprehend it effectively rather than the countless number of options and modifiers it has to consider on the fully 3D map of the previous incarnations of TW.

If they were being really ambitious then they could make it possible to toggle between the 2D and 3D map when starting up a new campaign (although not possible to change once the game has begun).
    "If we (CA) found a way to preserve all the functionality and features of the 3D style campaign maps (ETW / NTW) and designed a new stylistic map with a more iconic look (STW / MTW) would you be in favor?"
    DESARC92 / Product Design
    Once known as MarcelP | Product Designer | Under the Patronage of Legio
    Marcel's Modder's Resources | Tutorials | The Graphics Workshop

NO

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Maяcel
    <quotations>
    In which case, I support it then.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

2d map? Lol. Even if 75% of the hardcore (fans, what else?) would want it, CA wouldn't make it anyway. 2d in the 3d decade...
    [Col] RO Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    2d map? Lol. Even if 75% of the hardcore (fans, what else?) would want it, CA wouldn't make it anyway. 2d in the 3d decade...
    It could still be 3d, but it would look fake (like a map or model in a general’s war room) rather than looking like a landscape painting or satellite image. Maybe like a paper map with toy mountains, bridges, fortresses, and army markers sitting on top of it. Those would give it a 3d look. Or you could push up the raised areas, as if you had started with the ETW map and re-skinned it to look like paper (with contour lines and stuff).

The question is basically, do you want a war room look, or a God’s-eye-view? Which feels more appropriate?

The simple fact is, the AI in previous TW games has been too dumb for a 3D map. Hopefully this time it will be better, but we have hoped that for every new TW game...

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Board-game style was so Imperial Glory...

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

NO NO NO NO NO!~!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast