View Poll Results: What should we do with the Mongols? Public vote, only players may vote.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave them as they are

24 96.00%
  • Use the console to kill half of their army so they are not too powerful

0 0%
  • Use the console to destroy them completely and turn them into rebels

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 60 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: KGCM 4.2 Everyone Loves the Mongols Hotseat

Default KGCM 4.2 Everyone Loves the Mongols Hotseat

Ok, with flickflame having vanished from the face of the earth, I am unilaterally annexing this hotseat. Any objections...no...good!

Rules:

1. Turns must be posted within 24 hours. If you can't make a turn in this time, post on the forums. If it will only be a short delay (up to six hours) we may let it pass, if not someone will sub you.

2. You may not:
    - Reload turns
    - Assassinate family members of human controlled factions (generals or princesses)
    - Attack ships in port
    - Leave a port whilst it is blockaded without fighting the blockading fleet
    - Ally with the pope
    - Be a bad loser
    - Engage in personal insults
    - Use black magic
    - Do anything else that has been accepted as an unfair exploit (if in doubt, please ask first)

3. All player - player battles must be autoresolved with screenshots posted

4. Armies that are defeated in battle by a player that comes after them in the turn list may not move the following turn. This is to make it fair for people who are defeated by players that come before them in the turn list, and thus lose all their movement points

5. Armies that are defeated in battle may not be attacked on the following turn, as they are banned from moving, either by the game mechanics or by the rule above. They must be allowed to move first, or must be reinforced. If the defeated army retreats to a settlement or fort, this rule does not apply.

6. No jihads or crusades until turn 12, unless called by the Pope / AI.

7. Crusades will be decided via a point system. Each Catholic player gets one point for each point of papal favour they have. When a crusade is available, each Catholic player can vote for their preferred target by sending me a PM, and the Crusade will be called on the target with the most points.

8. Armies on a crusade or jihad may only attack the target settlement, or settlements that are in regions that they *must* pass through to get to the target. These regions are defined as those that the multicoloured movement line passes through when you try to go directly to the target. No attempting to exploit this rule by moving an army to a far off location and then joining the crusade / jihad. If your army travels by sea, it can only attack islands that the navy will pass right next to, and must disembark in the region that has fewest regions between it and the target.

9. Mongols have been decided.

10. When you finish your turn PM the next player. If you repeatedly fail to PM them, and the hotseat is held up as a result, you may be fined 2,000 florins in game

Faction list:

Edecon - France
    Swarbs - Castille
    Zerosliver - Venice
    Mordrorru - Russia
    Oddsworm - Turks
    Incontinenta Buttox - Egypt
    CeltiberoMencey - Norway
    decimator22 - Hungary
    Visorslash - KoJ
    goro - PoA

All questions, comments and suggestions welcomed!
    Last edited by Incontinenta Buttox; March 05, 2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Updating player list

Protector Domesticus

Default Re: KGCM 4.2 Everyone Loves the Mongols Hotseat - One more player needed!

-----

I'd like to point out that, "Using the console to kill half of their army so they are not too powerful," isn't going to make a lick of difference. They make units too quickly.
    Last edited by Mordrorru; June 16, 2010 at 03:48 AM.

Oddsworm's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: KGCM 4.2 Everyone Loves the Mongols Hotseat - One more player needed!

If we dont find a British/Scandanavian player:

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrtaeus View Post
    I'll take KOJ then, and probably flee to a new homeland as soon as the game starts
    I dont mind him taking PoA, but Antioch is usually at a huge disadvantage without the automatic stacks generated if PoA is ai.

edit: i like the name of the hotseat, lets keep it. Next nine hours? thank god im prbably not in the top half of the turn order.
    Last edited by Oddsworm; June 16, 2010 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrorru View Post
    I'd like to point out that, "Using the console to kill half of their army so they are not too powerful," isn't going to make a lick of difference.
    How come? I was planning to use the "force_battle_victory" command to completely destroy their extra stacks, including the generals. Thus making their initial military only half as large. Ok, they'll be able to make units quickly, but not so quickly that they are as dominant as they are with their three chevron starting stacks.
    Last edited by Swarbs; June 16, 2010 at 03:58 AM.

Praeses

Leave the Mongols as they are.

Hopefully a new person is willing to take the British Isles, otherwise I'm Scotland.

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post
    Ok, they'll be able to make units quickly, but not so quickly that they are as dominant as they are with their three chevron starting stacks.
    All their units always have three chevrons, not just the ones at the start. They get them automatically.

Praeses

Wow... That's screwed. That is an awesome ability.

If you make it so their troops are no-chevrons, will Russia do better?

In my SP campaigns, they get Heroic Victories, but are continually getting forced back. (However it eventually ends as a stalemate usually.)

All their units always have three chevrons, not just the ones at the start. They get them automatically.
    Really? I just played them as humans in 4.2 and all starting units only had one chevron. Is that just an AI bonus to make them more powerful?

Protector Domesticus

Actually, I just looked at the Mongols in Foxes and Lions; about 75% of their soldiers have three chevrons or higher, while the rest have a minimum of two. 0% had one or none.
    Last edited by Mordrorru; June 16, 2010 at 04:19 AM.

Well...it is kinda historically accurate. That area of Europe was dominated by the Mongols for the first century of the hotseat, until at least 1280. So I guess if you want to expand to the north east, you have to be ready for the pain! Anyway, I reckon if you take the Mongols out it will be too easy for the TO to take out Lithuania, Poland and Russia, and become too dominant in the east. But lets see what the voting says...

Protector Domesticus

Well...it is kinda historically accurate. That area of Europe was dominated by the Mongols for the first century of the hotseat, until at least 1280. So I guess if you want to expand to the north east, you have to be ready for the pain! Anyway, I reckon if you take the Mongols out it will be too easy for the TO to take out Lithuania, Poland and Russia, and become too dominant in the east. But lets see what the voting says...
    I thought the fun of Total War was to rewrite history, not have it pounded into your face.

Praeses

Nope, just Scotland, if a new player wants a British Isles faction I go back to KoJ.

I thought the fun of Total War was to rewrite history, not have it pounded into your face.
    You can rewrite history. It just won't be easy...

Protector Domesticus

You can rewrite history. It just won't be easy...
    Only it's 10x easier, 10x quicker and 10x more profitable for Germany to rewrite history by conquering France than it is for anyone to conquer the Mongols, isn't it?
    Last edited by Mordrorru; June 16, 2010 at 04:33 AM.

That and you dont border the Mongols. You have plenty of territories on which to expand and strengthen your position before launching a Mongol expedition

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddsworm View Post
    That and you dont border the Mongols. You have plenty of territories on which to expand and strengthen your position before launching a Mongol expedition
    So I should only advocate things if they directly and unavoidably effect or benefit me and not simply because something's wrong?
    Last edited by Mordrorru; June 16, 2010 at 04:40 AM.

Praeses

Exactly.

Nah, I guess, reducing the kings purse/AI bonuses for the Mongols might help?

But nothings wrong, since both Russian and Mongols are ai.

I agree the Mongols are powerful in the game, but then France would have been ten times as easy to conquer as the Mongols around that time. In the 12th century England conquered half of France whilst also fighting Scotland, Ireland and Wales. But no one ever conquered the Mongols - even after the Empire split up the Crimean and Kazan Khanates continued to dominate much of Eastern Europe until the 16th century, and only really fell apart due to their own internal strife. Whilst I agree that it's good to rewrite history, I think the size of the challenge should still be roughly proportionate to what they were historically.

Anyway, it'll be just as for the Teutonic Order to rewrite history by conquering Lithuania, Poland, Denmark and all those other little states scattered around there. Heck, if you want to really rewrite history, go conquer Germany and France yourself!

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddsworm View Post
    But nothings wrong, since both Russian and Mongols are ai.
    Alright. I choose to play Russia.

Now something's wrong, I guess?

I agree the Mongols are powerful in the game, but then France would have been ten times as easy to conquer as the Mongols around that time. In the 12th century England conquered half of France whilst also fighting Scotland, Ireland and Wales. But no one ever conquered the Mongols - even after the Empire split up the Crimean and Kazan Khanates continued to dominate much of Eastern Europe until the 16th century, and only really fell apart due to their own internal strife. Whilst I agree that it's good to rewrite history, I think the size of the challenge should still be roughly proportionate to what they were historically.

Anyway, it'll be just as for the Teutonic Order to rewrite history by conquering Lithuania, Poland, Denmark and all those other little states scattered around there. Heck, if you want to really rewrite history, go conquer Germany and France yourself!
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of using historical arguments to prop up crappy and unbalanced gameplay and design choices, and I'm never a fan when they're used with regards to a multiplayer or hotseat experience.

Page 1 of 60 12345678910112651 ... LastLast