Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dark Millenium Online

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Default Dark Millenium Online

a 40k MMORPG has been announced

Developed by Vigil Games in Austin, Texas Warhammer 40,000 Dark Millennium Online, takes the hit sci-fi brand into the MMO genre to offer fans of the franchise the most intimate and visceral experience possible of the 41st Millennium.

Players will be able to select their race and enter a beautifully crafted world of intrigue, adventure and all-out war.

The MMORPG community will never be the same again after this.

More information will be available at gamescom in August 2010.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Dark Millenium Online

I would love an WH40K MMO, but how will it work?

Will we be able to play every species? Will they all fight against each other, or will there be some lame back-story forcing Imperium, Eldar and Tau to fight together against Chaos, Orks and Dark Eldar? How would they implement Tyranids and Necron, they can hardly be PC's.

The screens do look rather advanced though, so this must've been in rpoduction quite a while. I guess the rumours were true.

I hear it will be largely PvP based. Depending on how the combat system turns out, that might be a good thing.

Or maybe not.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Trailer seems to be Orks, Space Marines (via Black Templars it looks, or a new chapter), Chaos (World Eaters, with Nurgle Demons?), and IG/Mechanicus Skitarii.

The trailer also had something which looked like a Sister of Battle in it.

BUt who knows...

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

From what I have read, it is a RPG/FPS hybrid similar as Oblivion and Fallout 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    From what I have read, it is a RPG/FPS hybrid similar as Oblivion and Fallout 3.
    There goes Dark Millennium *Sigh* and I was hoping it was going to be good.... I just don't think the Oblivion approach is good for a MMO... Especially one such as this.

randir14's Avatar Ordinarius

Nothing about the game mechanics has been announced other than an interview from two years ago where they said it will have a cover system. As far as it being 1st person...you can see a short clip of third person combat in that video.

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

The marines in video presumably Black Templars.
    Imo you'd be able to choose chapter or legion it would be like sub-faction of your realm
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

The UI looked very EQ-like so I guess it will be similar to other MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
    Nothing about the game mechanics has been announced other than an interview from two years ago where they said it will have a cover system. As far as it being 1st person...you can see a short clip of third person combat in that video.
    The idea is you can shift from first person to third person much like Fallout 3.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Liking the twitch based combat.

Although, would mean you would need a VERY good connection.

Did they announce the release date? Cause that footage looks pretty good.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

randir14's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    The UI looked very EQ-like so I guess it will be similar to other MMOs.
    Probably just a mock up. If you notice the UI stays the same throughout scene changes and strangely fades away

What is twitch based combat? I keep hearing it...

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    Those shoot down die twitching on the ground ?-just an attempt to find a solution to your question
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

From Wiki:

The game will feature relatively in-depth fire-fights with player-formed squads as well as cover and flanking mechanics, within the MMORPG format.[3] However, being true to the setting, war and battles will be a big feature of Warhammer 40,000 Online and Vigil Games are promising to deliver battlegrounds of epic proportions.[4] Controllable vehicles have not been confirmed, but the developers have said that they are aware of how important vehicles are to the setting.[4]

The game will be set in the 41st Millennium, well after the Horus Heresy, and all races important to that period in the setting will be represented, although it has not been revealed which ones will actually be playable.[4] Details about characters are still largely unknown and what's been said so far is only that there will be no non-combat classes in the game, as that would not fit with the background, and that the characters will be highly customizable with things like weapons, books, scrolls and chains hanging from their armour.[4]

Although war and battlefields will be a large part of Warhammer 40,000 Online the scope of the game will include more of the setting than that; Vigil Games’ General Manager David Adams mentions being able to visit "cities (of all scales, types and sizes), exotic alien temples, Chaos shrines, deserted battlefields, mysterious ruins, ancient structures, drifting hulks in space, etc..." and that they will be populated with all manners of non-player characters.[4]

Grouping with other players will not be required to advance through the game although it will be beneficial for tackling both the harder PvE and PvP content of the game.
    Great, now I can praise my lord Khorne in a new form!!! Die you Imperial slaves!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    MW2 and the like, where you actually have to aim. Hence 'twitch' you constantly moving your target reticule.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Finally, Planetside will have some competition! A new MMOFPS will rise, and the people will rejoice!

However, I do hope that there are at least three sides: The Imperium (Consisting of Space Marines, Adeptus Mechanicus, maybe Imperial Guard (Pet classes anyone? ) and maybe the Inquisition), Chaos (Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, maybe with Ork and Dark Eldar allies?) and Xenos (Tau, Kroot, Vespid, perhaps a small group of Eldar Exodites?). It would even be possible , although extremely unlikely, to have a Tyranid faction, with the different "species" of Tyranids being different classes. One of the nice things about Warhammer 40K is the sheer amount of choice regarding which faction you personally favor.

Oh the excitement of the initial announcement!

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Oh no.Orks should be seperate.There is nothing to bind them to chaos.

Aiming,covering,bullets,rockets.Sweeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    Finally, Planetside will have some competition! A new MMOFPS will rise, and the people will rejoice!

However, I do hope that there are at least three sides: The Imperium (Consisting of Space Marines, Adeptus Mechanicus, maybe Imperial Guard (Pet classes anyone? ) and maybe the Inquisition), Chaos (Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, maybe with Ork and Dark Eldar allies?) and Xenos (Tau, Kroot, Vespid, perhaps a small group of Eldar Exodites?). It would even be possible , although extremely unlikely, to have a Tyranid faction, with the different "species" of Tyranids being different classes. One of the nice things about Warhammer 40K is the sheer amount of choice regarding which faction you personally favor.

Oh the excitement of the initial announcement!
    I think it's mainly a third person shooter, with the option of first person.

But I wouldn't like the factions allying.

Doesn't sit with the 'spirit' of the war-hammer 40k universe. In my opinion anyway.

My Political Profile.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    From Wiki:

The game will feature relatively in-depth fire-fights with player-formed squads as well as cover and flanking mechanics, within the MMORPG format.[3] However, being true to the setting, war and battles will be a big feature of Warhammer 40,000 Online and Vigil Games are promising to deliver battlegrounds of epic proportions.[4] Controllable vehicles have not been confirmed, but the developers have said that they are aware of how important vehicles are to the setting.[4]

The game will be set in the 41st Millennium, well after the Horus Heresy, and all races important to that period in the setting will be represented, although it has not been revealed which ones will actually be playable.[4] Details about characters are still largely unknown and what's been said so far is only that there will be no non-combat classes in the game, as that would not fit with the background, and that the characters will be highly customizable with things like weapons, books, scrolls and chains hanging from their armour.[4]

Although war and battlefields will be a large part of Warhammer 40,000 Online the scope of the game will include more of the setting than that; Vigil Games’ General Manager David Adams mentions being able to visit "cities (of all scales, types and sizes), exotic alien temples, Chaos shrines, deserted battlefields, mysterious ruins, ancient structures, drifting hulks in space, etc..." and that they will be populated with all manners of non-player characters.[4]

Grouping with other players will not be required to advance through the game although it will be beneficial for tackling both the harder PvE and PvP content of the game.
    Great, now I can praise my lord Khorne in a new form!!! Die you Imperial slaves!!!
    Drifting hulks in space?

Space flight perhaps?

My Political Profile.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast