Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 20 units cap

Default The 20 units cap

This is the worst limitation all TW games have since Shogun, leading to unbalanced army stacks.
    With the new limits on troop numbers, do you think we'll finally see that limitation removed from the TW ?
    Any info on that ?

Lord Wiffleby's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: The 20 units cap

Nope I have no info, but I doubt there will be any change.

They say they'll put some 56000 men on the battlefield at once. so it can go either:
    -More than 8 players/armies on the battle at a time (very likely...... easier to be done?)
    -more men in a single units (likely.....you can mod this in some current game but game become unstable and buggy units fluid movements)
    -or more units slot (might be)

starcraft 2 improve their total units in a control group so TW might follow.............Very unrelated
    Last edited by VersionLangley; June 14, 2010 at 02:21 AM.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't think they'll change the 20 unit cap, but just make unit size bigger
    [Col] RO Citizen

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Bad news if they keep the old formula. That means the game engine will not really have advanced for battles since the start of the series, Which will not bode well for battle ai development or battlefield size. Lets hope they do advance and break free from the cap.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by VersionLangley View Post
    They say they'll put some 56000 men on the battlefield at once. so it can go either:
    -More than 8 players/armies on the battle at a time (very likely...... easier to be done?)
    -more men in a single units (likely.....you can mod this in some current game but game become unstable and buggy units fluid movements)

IMO, they won't deliver on the promise of 56K men on the battlefield at once. They may make it theoretically possible (i.e with huge unit numbers, max number of players etc) but it won't be really playable.

But yes, more than 20 units per army would be helpful, even if it's just 24 or something! Just by making the units cards' size 10% smaller, you can fit in the same space 4 more units. 2 in the first row and 2 in the second row.

About the "no cap" though I'm kindla against it. The player can control up to a number of units, while the AI can control many, many more. 40 units of 100 soldiers each, would be a pain to control IMO.
    Last edited by alhoon; June 14, 2010 at 04:43 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

The latest Eurogamer preview said that there's around 30-35 units, not 20.
    And it's much better if there's only 35 units. You can focus more on the tactics rather than having 2349082304823 troops types.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Woooow 30 - 35 units

That would be great, as long as they improve the functionality of grouping and the ease of control it'll work.

Evan

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer Preview
    The assortment of units, however, is much smaller than in previous Total War games - an as-yet-not-finalised number around 30 is bandied about in our conversation.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

I don't understand why they keep this limit of 20. They could just make an option in order that the player could choose 20 vs20/30 vs 30/ 40 vs 40 and everybody would be pleased!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    Woooow 30 - 35 units

That would be great, as long as they improve the functionality of grouping and the ease of control it'll work.

Evan
    I think he mean that there are 30-35 different unit TYPES, not the number of units you can bring on the field.
    Play 'March of Death'. Play it, unless you know a sadder song.
    Play something to make your soul weep. If you have one still.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by tabacila View Post
    I think he mean that there are 30-35 different unit TYPES, not the number of units you can bring on the field.
    Yeah that's what I thought too.

♔Mandelus♔'s Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Wiffleby View Post
    Nope I have no info, but I doubt there will be any change.
    Right, same opinion at me. Will be cool to be changed up to 30 or so, but veryunlikely thatit will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by VersionLangley View Post

starcraft 2 improve their total units in a control group so TW might follow.............Very unrelated
    I think the 56.000 men mean the maximum what the engine can handle to use or something like this. In ETW my biggest campaign battle was about 35.000 with several 20 unit armies, but thanks to the "crappy peeping" reinforcement system of course not at one time all present on the battle field.

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):
    http://www.totalwar-zone.de/forum/in...39807329133e3f

Death smiles at us all, the only thing you could do is smile back!
    Mark Aurel, Roman General and Emperor

If you add more units to an army, are you really making the game better? I bet that number was chosen in the first place because it was the optimal number that most people would be able to use efficiently. Adding more may make for bigger battles, but it won't help battle AI, pathfinding or the FPS rate.

Elmar's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by redxavier View Post
    If you add more units to an army, are you really making the game better? I bet that number was chosen in the first place because it was the optimal number that most people would be able to use efficiently. Adding more may make for bigger battles, but it won't help battle AI, pathfinding or the FPS rate.
    And really, how many of us could really make much use of more then 20 units? If I operate 6-8 different "unit" groups it's already easy to lose track.
    Basically I've got left flank, centre and right flank infantry, a ranged group, cavalry flankers right, left and a cavalry reserve. That's all I control. If these are divided in 20 or 30 units, it matters not.
    Not to say I'd be opposed to a 30 limit, I just don't see the dramatic benefit others assume. When have you really needed the fine control of 30 different units? Be honest now... never.
    To Subaltern: Yes, every junior officer may carry a Field Marshal's baton in his knapsack, but we think you'll discard that to make room for an extra pair of socks before very long.
    Wipers Times

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Well the way I could see a few more units being used. Say you have 20 units of infantry + 1 unit general + 2 units of artillery + 2-4 units of cavalry This may make up a better balanced army.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Twenty? I thought it's always been a sixteen-unit cap?

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Most of us have seen sharpe and what not. So why not implement an ability for some "elite" units to be completely independent and strike hammerblows. These would also be independent in campaign play, quite like privateers (which I can't believe was missed in ETW). This would not use up any unit cards in the battle UI.
    Now of course, the only issue with this is... The AI.

They could let us chose in options how big limit we want, like it is with the units size. Some new players probably wouldn't be able to control more than 20 units, but some of us veterans i'm sure could manage up to 40 units. Especially if CA would add some kind of more advance group formations.

for example:
    normal player - 20 units limit
    veteran player - 40 units limit
    tactics genius - 50 units limit

♔Mandelus♔'s Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    Twenty? I thought it's always been a sixteen-unit cap?
    Always 20 cap, no matter which units mate

But I think much more important then to change the max. 20 cap is to change this incredible crapping reinforcement system back to the Med2 / Kingdoms or RTW Standard! I will never ever have again this damned f......ing reinforcement system of ETW and NTW, NEVER!
    This has for me highest prioritiy (beside full modding access)!

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):
    http://www.totalwar-zone.de/forum/in...39807329133e3f

Death smiles at us all, the only thing you could do is smile back!
    Mark Aurel, Roman General and Emperor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast