Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second falklands war?

Default Second falklands war?

If Argentina managed to infect the garrison of the falklands with salmonella, couldn't they just fly troops in and land in Mount Pleasant unresisted? The four Typhoon fighters wouldn't be able to take off for fear of crashing with the sickness, and 300 crack troops pouring out the back of a couple of Herculese would be able to capture whatever resistance the sick company-strength defenders could mount very fast, perhaps without firing a shot.

From there they could just fly in reinforcements, ASMs and SAMs.

What do you think of this plan?

Default Re: Second falklands war?

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post

Now seriously, if I would comand the Argentiian forces, I would bring 100-200k troops on the island, mine the sea and see how the British would dislodge them. The only problem would be to supply the troops but I would bring supplies to last at least 6 months.
    Last edited by CiviC; June 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    If Argentina managed to infect the garrison of the falklands with salmonella, couldn't they just fly troops in and land in Mount Pleasant unresisted? The four Typhoon fighters wouldn't be able to take off for fear of crashing with the sickness, and 300 crack troops pouring out the back of a couple of Herculese would be able to capture whatever resistance the sick company-strength defenders could mount very fast, perhaps without firing a shot.

From there they could just fly in reinforcements, ASMs and SAMs.

What do you think of this plan?
    Argentina isn't a bond villian.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

Well.

In the last war we had to win back the falkland Islands.

Stands to reason that we'll be able to do it again.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Quote Originally Posted by Hookah Smoking Caterpiller View Post
    Argentina isn't a bond villian.
    hey there's a reaosn I put this in alternate history

Of all things Argentina could use, raw chicken would be low on the list rofl. Seriously why salmonella? Since when do planes get sick with salmonella too? (I know it was the pilots but the way you worded it made it sound like the planes get sick lol). Anyways, Britain would again crush Argentina.
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Argentina isn't what it used to be, by a long shot.

With Britain's upgraded defenses, superior navy and superior airforce, Argentina isn't even likely to bother.

Also, there is supposedly a clause which would see the EU declare war in tow. Let alone NATO.

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

IF Argentina did get hold of the islands, we are in no state to take them back. However, the garrison on the islands is large enough to prevent the Argies from taking them in the first place. I'm sure not every soldier is going to eat the same meal, and if large numbers of personnel did become ill, I'd imagine the rest would switch to ration packs.

I am pleased by your devious plan minion, but will it succeed hmm? *strokes cat* I hope it goes well Boris, or the sharks will be having a spot of evening tea this evening, and I will be inviting you to pop along MUAHAHHAHAHHA.

Seriously salmonella just seems like a weird option. Since that wouldn't happen, I'd say the garrison is strong enough to prevent an invasion force from taking control. Their supplies would hold out if Argentina did somehow pull off such a feat akin to debilitating the island with salmonella.
    Also hasn't the military technology at the disposal of Britain progressed whilst Argentina's has largely remained static? Call me out on this if I'm wrong.

Well, as soldiers based there regularly train in cold and wet conditions, and live in close proximity to each other in their barracks, a virus would be the better option. Although food poisoning isnt such a bad option, as it gives you the runs, which in a combat environment beleive it or not can be life threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    as it gives you the runs, which in a combat environment beleive it or not can be life threatening.
    how exactly lol?

Gatsby's Avatar Punctual Romantic

Have you seen The Pacific?
    You'll have more fun at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Under the patronage of the mighty Dante von Hespburg

Maybe you could spread pink-eye throughout the troops' ranks and then they're eyes would be too itchy and inflamed to properly aim through their sights.

Dysentery and Diarrhoea aren't nice things. It's usually only life threatening to the very old or very young. But soldiers are particularly prone to it in servere causes. Pre modern times it stopped whole armies. The British somewhere around the early 1800's making the link between where soldiers crapped and where they ate usually were too near each other. Even with the rise of hygiene, the battlefield is no clean place, and soldiers even now days, in Afghanistan are bed ridden because they have the runs.

It only becomes lethal when you are struck down with something, (food poisoning, virus, infection, shock/ trauma), in extreme heat or cold, damp and wet, lack of decent food, and more importantly, lack of water. As it causes really bad dehydration. One of the great English kings died of dysentery/diarrhoea when fighting in France.

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

I fail to see how this is Alternate History lol. Maybe create a "how invade British Sovereign Territory" sub-forum?
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    Even with the rise of hygiene, the battlefield is no clean place, and soldiers even now days, in Afghanistan are bed ridden because they have the runs.
    I've never really heard of that. I will say that on my deployments each time I got deathly sick and was bed-ridden once each trip. But that was from eating the local food and was prevented when I stopped eating it. To be honest I don't see the runs as being something that stops operations. You had to be dead or dying to get to be bed-ridden otherwise your ass was out hoofing it with everyone else and you just had the misfortune of stopping the patrol every little bit so you could take care of your business. But I was extremely filthy on my first deployment, got there in July didn't take an actual showers until October and like I said I only got really sick once and that was from local food. Likewise guys that I operated with never really got very sick. Certainly not with any regularity.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Even if the Argies managed to incapicitate all the defenders, there is no way they could get their fleet of fishing boats passed the Royal Navy patrols and subs.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I've never really heard of that. I will say that on my deployments each time I got deathly sick and was bed-ridden once each trip. But that was from eating the local food and was prevented when I stopped eating it. To be honest I don't see the runs as being something that stops operations. You had to be dead or dying to get to be bed-ridden otherwise your ass was out hoofing it with everyone else and you just had the misfortune of stopping the patrol every little bit so you could take care of your business. But I was extremely filthy on my first deployment, got there in July didn't take an actual showers until October and like I said I only got really sick once and that was from local food. Likewise guys that I operated with never really got very sick. Certainly not with any regularity.
    Oh its definitely isn't common in the military these days! Not like it was 100, or even 50 years ago!

It was on Ross Kemps return to Afghanistan. He himself, his film crew, and IIRC 18 British soldiers in Bastion were bedridden with Dysentry, all beit for a couple of days at most, and it was more quarentine than actual illness. I'm just highlighting that its still a problem in modern day conflict, and if left unchecked could start to become more than a pain in the arse! (pun intended )

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    Even if the Argies managed to incapicitate all the defenders, there is no way they could get their fleet of fishing boats passed the Royal Navy patrols and subs.
    they wouldn't need to

there are no warships worth speaking of down there, and they could just fly people in

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast