Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BI- A big joke?

Default BI- A big joke?

Well I finnaly buyed barbarian invasion and Im highly dissapointed!

Apart from a few new things ,like night battle,religion and hordes nothing has really changed! The AI is even more dum lots less settlement,lots less faction,lots less units,A couple of new boring event! Same old boring music! same battle maps,same voice! No reform(thats right,I played a campaign for more then 70 game years and nothing much have happened,the huns have been crushed,the vandal have been crushed,the goth are almost crushed,ostrogoth have disappareared after 6 turn killed by the huns! then the huns have been killed by the easter empire and the vandals haven been destroyed by the sarmatian!

So if you havent buyed it already dont do it,unless you wants to mod to chivalry!

hurray for chivalry!

Now lets go back to MTW!

ps: im playing VH/VH as the franks

Quote Originally Posted by davidus terrus

Apart from a few new things ,like night battle,religion and hordes nothing has really changed! The AI is even more dum lots less settlement,lots less faction,lots less units,A couple of new boring event! Same old boring music! same battle maps,same voice! No reform(thats right,I played a campaign for more then 70 game years and nothing much have happened,the huns have been crushed,the vandal have been crushed,the goth are almost crushed,ostrogoth have disappareared after 6 turn killed by the huns! then the huns have been killed by the easter empire and the vandals haven been destroyed by the sarmatian!

So if you havent buyed it already dont do it,unless you wants to mod to chivalry!

hurray for chivalry!

Now lets go back to MTW!

yup, I'd agree with you there dividus. Its a pity the money we spent on BI isnt going towards the Chivalry Devs! :original:

"In the time of battle the loss of innocent life is inevatiable... thats just fate"
    - Gatts, the Black Swordsman

Oh and I forgot something,When you install Bi then install patch 1.3,Your original RTW game is very very very buggy!

I mean I have lost more then 10 fps on vanilla RTW just for installing BI and 1.3!

I think that was my last game i buy from the TW serie! Unless its complety change,I MEAN COMPLETLY!

Hang on dave, you needn't install 1.3 as well as BI, because BI is 1.3 when installed.

"In the time of battle the loss of innocent life is inevatiable... thats just fate"
    - Gatts, the Black Swordsman

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

hurray for chivalry!

Now lets go back to MTW!

"No reform" .... Their were not any reforms of the military in this time period, actually, after Constantine and Julian, it degraded.

"Lot less Settlement"...... They made less settlements to make it harder, try being Western Rome sometimes.

"The AI is even more dum"...... Really? i think it gives me a challenge sometimes, especially those frankish paladins.

"So if you havent buyed it already dont do it,unless you wants to mod to chivalry!"...... Or any other modification that is currently being made. Or if you want night battles, and some better graphics.

Im not flaming you, just saying a couple things.

PyrrhusIV

I agree Pyrrhus,

BI has alot of worthy features. I can't wait to see what you mods do with it, there's definitely potential. The AI can now handle forts and watch towers alot better. Heck, I even got cleverly ambushed in one of my campaigns. Something that didn't happen once in the year or so I've played RTW.

I don't think alot of us realise what a dramatic change the new RTW engine was. There was so much more depth, that yes, they didn't polish off every little peice.

I was dissappointed with RTW, over all. But I am pleased with BI and see a return to a more MTW:VI feel to the TW series.

I can't wait to see how the 2nd game on this engine goes. Whatever it is, I have faith they'll keep improving and get back to the glory days of STW and MTW.
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

i think the game is worth the money, we need another all factions playable mod again tho!

I think the problem alot of people have is, that unlike some of us, they never felt the magic of RTW when it first came out. I was used to Medieval: Total War, and addicted to Age of Empires: Age of Kings, and yet i was stunned and amazed by Rome: Total War, i felt that atmosphere, and some of us have felt the same thing.

Although BI maybe does have the same beginning magic, their are plenty of new features. Being a modder, i know that .

PyrrhusIV

BI is a great game. Is not perfect. But on it's genre BI is the king.
    What you want is a perfect game. Amazing graphics, amazing AI, amazing historical accuracy.

Give up, you're not going to see this kind of game. BI is perfect on it's own limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Triarii
    ...we need another all factions playable mod again tho!
    Like this: http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=672 ???

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

I think we are not playing the same games seriously! I didnt know that BI was 1.3,I still installed 1.3 BECAUSE in the read me its says for RTW and BI users!

Ive played 1 night battle in custom battle,Never had the chance to do it in the campaign because its almost impossible to have the night battle trait! Unless you start your campaign with the western empire! I must say that night battle is quite attractive but its not worth buying the game only for it! Religion are only implemented partially,so its not worth it too,Horde are the coolest new things with BI but the AI are not able to use it properly so its not worth it too! They were too lazy to create a new music for this expansion and too create new family member pictures,they couldnt fix the AI bug(while a simple modder like Darth,have made wonderful works with the AI on the battlemaps)

The campaign take way less time to finish,objective are too easy as barbarian faction,the campaign maps is the same size as RTW but with a lot less settlement wich make the game more easier in my opinion because the AI have to deal with the rebel(and a lot of them) before they can reach my settlements ! They made the game harder because now we got to deal with happiness,less trade routs,religion and way lot more rebel!

edit:Like i said im back to MTW until chivalry comes out,Its not because i dont like roman era,its because its add more in gameplay!

So now im waiting for chivalry and Hummm ROMA VICTOR http://www.roma-victor.com
    Last edited by davidus terrus; October 30, 2005 at 01:55 PM.

Religion are only implemented partially
    How so? It seems extremely important to me, i've had Pagan vs Christian "Civil Wars", read the manuel, it tells alot about relgions. For the WRE, Pagan gods are very, very important in the training of troops.

Horde are the coolest new things with BI but the AI are not able to use it properly so its not worth it too
    Right... the Gothic Tribe horded and took many WRE rebels near my provinces, then they moved on my WRE province of Illyria e Dalmatia and managed to take it over, after that one horde moved into Greece after the ERE and one moved North towards Ravenna.

They were too lazy to create a new music for this expansion and too create new family member pictures
    You can make a new music pack if you wish, i am sure you are great at it. it is an expansion, not a whole new game. Just as an example, the Goths have new family portraits, and i've noticed plenty of new Roman ones.

they couldnt fix the AI bug

the campaign maps is the same size as RTW but with a lot less settlement wich make the game more easier in my opinion because the AI have to deal with the rebel(and a lot of them) before they can reach my settlements ! They made the game harder because now we got to deal with happiness,less trade routs,religion and way lot more rebel!
    Right, you just contradicted yourself. I think it is harder as the Roman Factions, which the game is primarily aimed at. I am not trying to be a flamer, but i just want to point out my opinions.

note: dont install 1.3 after you install BI.

PyrrhusIV

I personally found BI kind of boring, and maybe there's a reason for it but the number of settlements is pretty poor- there is 1 for the whole of Attica and the Pelloponese, even on vanilla RTW there were 3... Also, how can the Saxons have only about 7 units to cover the entire game??? Compared to something like RTR it does seem pretty dull
    'Oh for Christ's Sake, not now of all times!'
    last words of the Iron Chancellor

Ive played 1 night battle in custom battle,Never had the chance to do it in the campaign because its almost impossible to have the night battle trait! Unless you start your campaign with the western empire! I must say that night battle is quite attractive but its not worth buying the game only for it!
    In my first campaign as Saxons (The first time i played the game) i had like 5 night battles with my FIRST general. Freawine i guess. You just have to give your generals enough experience. Once they get 4 or 5 stars they get the Night Fighter trait. Isn't that hard.

Religion are only implemented partially,so its not worth it too.
    Partially ? Explain that please.

Horde are the coolest new things with BI but the AI are not able to use it properly so its not worth it too!
    Not able ? The Franks on most of my games when get on Horde, move and conquer northern France. The Huns or Goths settle on Northern Italy. The Vandals were on Iberia most of time. How the AI isn't using it properly ? The huns on my last game were on a rampage over Europe, leaving almost the entire Eastern Europe rebel and finally settling on Ravenna.

They were too lazy to create a new music for this expansion and too create new family member pictures,they couldnt fix the AI bug(while a simple modder like Darth,have made wonderful works with the AI on the battlemaps)
    A "Simple" modder cant add NIght Fights, Horde, Religion. BI isn't a new game. It's mean to ADD things and not change everything. If you think you waster your money, try to get it back.

The campaign take way less time to finish,objective are too easy as barbarian faction,the campaign maps is the same size as RTW but with a lot less settlement wich make the game more easier in my opinion because the AI have to deal with the rebel(and a lot of them) before they can reach my settlements ! They made the game harder because now we got to deal with happiness,less trade routs,religion and way lot more rebel!
    Less settlements is a great thing. Now you have to think. Only one settlement can ruin your entire economy. Objectives to easy ? I don't play the game to win. I'm playing to have fun. Usually i'm not trying to make everything like the objectives said i should.

edit:Like i said im back to MTW until chivalry comes out,Its not because i dont like roman era,its because its add more in gameplay!
    Its up to you that.

Quote Originally Posted by PyrrhusIV
    I think the problem alot of people have is, that unlike some of us, they never felt the magic of RTW when it first came out. I was used to Medieval: Total War, and addicted to Age of Empires: Age of Kings, and yet i was stunned and amazed by Rome: Total War, i felt that atmosphere, and some of us have felt the same thing.

Although BI maybe does have the same beginning magic, their are plenty of new features. Being a modder, i know that .

PyrrhusIV
    +1. As for those individuals that never felt the magic of RTW, they're heartless sons of whores who put razorblades in candy on Halloween.....seriously who the hell doesn't love Rome TW?
    Made of metal, my circuits gleam......

hurray for chivalry!

Now lets go back to MTW!

What are the alternatives then ?
    Quiggly Civ4 troops on a map which looks as it comes from Disneyworld ? Alexander - even worse ! New AOE3 - well ?
    Let's be honest - is there one similar game out there offering the same features , including graphics, sound, openess for modding etc. ?

I spent countless hours in playing MTW, RTW and even more with some RTW mods. I don't regret a single one of them.

BI is an addon ( officially called "Expansion pack " ) , not an entirely new game ( although it is new in many aspects ).

If one had 70 years with not much happening, I wonder what he did. Play WRE on VH/VH and see whether this is still boring.

Which reforms do you miss ? Aside from growing christianism and , at a later stage, muslism, I can't think of any important reform which took place in the period covered by the expansion pack.

Historically, the period covered in BI was a pretty dark one. The roman empire devided and dying, the barbarian tribes took over the reign and did'n do much in terms of civilised development - they just tried to survive. Hard enough taking the thread of the Huns into account.

Take the Franks i.e : I live close to a location where a large roman city has been for about 400 years. It had a harbour, temples, a roman bath, an aquaduct, sewers, brickstone roads, markets, provided housing for about 10.000 people - actually a nice and civilized place to live. When the romans left in about 400 a.d., the Franks took over the city - without fighting. You know what they did ? They didn't want to live in stone houses, so they just destroyed every thing and went on to what is France and Belgium today.

Same with the Goths when they captured Rome ( several times btw. ) They didn't know what to do with a city of that size other than plundering a bit and went away taking Ravenna as their capital. Later, many of them went on to Spain, where they finally were destroyed.

Not enough factions ? So please, which historically significant faction of this period has been not implemented in this game ?

Not enough troop types ..... Well, please tell me, which troops of this period do you miss ? Slingers were gone at this time around, and no more Hoplites , Spartans and forth. I'm struggeling to find any particular troops of this period which were deployed in significant size and frequently and are not part of the game.

I do however admit, that the skinners at CA could have done a better job. Those colours are used for gameplay reasons, I know, but hey ....orange Goths, striking blue Franks....a bit odd.

Less Provinces :
    Having less provinces makes the game even harder, I think, and gives more chances for open field battles.
    All those big maps with dozends of tiny provinces or many cities look very good and it's nice to play as long as your empire is small. But in terms of gameplay, at one point you only do sieges - pretty boring..... and once you have a large empire, say 30 provinces with about 50 or more cities you're more into city micro-management and keeping your citizens happy then fighting battles.

But, like with everything in live, one size does not fit all. I for my part look forward to the next TW Game .... and play RTW , BI and it's various mods in the meantime.
    Last edited by Privateer; October 30, 2005 at 04:30 PM.

It's no joke. Though i understand your rational. The expansion should really be seen as an upgrade to the engine and that can only help the modding community.

It's still might be too early yet to dive into BI, but i do see some modders have already put together some great mod-packs that solve alot of what could be seen as BI's lack of units.

I've yet to try BI, but it can only be a better foundation for a mod than the plain game.

Right now i'm looking for the best RTW mod that's the hardest and most fun. Perhaps Darthmod 6.0 is the best in that regard. I've started on that again and it's proving to be alot more fun that RTR.

Not enough units.

Not enough new features.

Not enough events in game.

All that can be solved by the right combination mod that gets it done right. The best balance of fun/hardness/realism.

BI sets up the foundation i think of a more combat expanded gameplay. The barbarians such as the Hun etc, all are warrior tribes on the offensive against Roman Imperialism. So playing the game as Rome sounds very interesting if the modders make it tough enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedniskhjäertad
    I don't play the game to win. I'm playing to have fun. Usually i'm not trying to make everything like the objectives said i should.
    That's exactly what I do. I also nerf my starting money and buildings etc in the desc_strat to further stack things against me.

I don't play to obtain their (CA's ) objectives. Their objectives usually work into my bigger plan, however. Which is to set up a little kingdom and have fun fending off invaders.

I guess RTW: BI is what you make of it. Personally, I'm having a blast.

i agree with the original poster to an extent, i played BI for about 3 days before getting bored & i only have 1 thing to blame for that.....SPRQ~!
    Its the ultimate RTW experiance & no amount of new features in BI could ever make up for the balance & action SPQR provides.
    Damb you CA & Lt for sucking my life away & making my girlfriend HATE my computer with a passion.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Bi has great potential, unfortuantly it was rushed. It was definatly worth the money though. I know that all total war games are worht much more than any console game for 50 dollars..

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast