Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Add Missing sounds in the Greek firethrower units.

Default How to Add Missing sounds in the Greek firethrower units.

Well today we are going to learn how add the missing sounds of Greek firethrowers. As we all know Greek firethrowers are the most vital units to the byzantine empire because when it comes to the gunpowder units and cannons the Byzantium lacks them by default. This is why i suppose Creative Assembly decided to give a winning edge to the Byzantium by providing them with this unique unit in the crusades to beat the out of the Turks and kick back the backstabbing crusaders .

OK enough chit chat straight to business. Those who are wondering how to add the Greek firethrowers in the first place in there mods which uses kingdoms.exe to launch like barebones or retrofit mod does than read this an excellent tutorial by J@mes it tells all vital parts except there is no mention of adding the remaining sounds for Greek firethrowers.

In his thread some modders complain that there is no sound at all and some complain that the sounds coming from them is like firing bows or crossbows.I myself underwent this same problem and therefore decided to fix this damn unit once and for all. After reading this tutorial you'll have an exact replica of this unit fully functional like the ones in crusades campaign. But before we precede make sure you already have these 3 files u would be familiar with them if you have read the J@mes tutorial.

1. flamethrower_firing.evt
    2. flamethrower_remains.evt
    3. flamethrower_start.evt

These 3 files are located inside this path of crusades campaign:
    "crusades\data\sounds\effect_evt" folder.

Ok let's start with the tutorial I'll try to explain it in the best way i can. So for this you'll need Medieval 2 sounds text file which can be downloaded here.
    And SFX extractor which can be downloaded here.
    Moving on........

Step I
    First we have to use the SFX extractor to extract the missing sounds from the crusades campaign for this u have to go in the "crusades\sounds" folder and put xidx.bat and xidx.exe (from SFX extractor) inside it. Then run the .bat file and now a new folder called SFX would be created in this directory.

Now go to this path data\sounds\SFX\Individual\flamethrower and you'll find 6 .wav files namely:-
    1. flamethrower_firing_10.wav
    2. start_firing_burst_01.wav
    3. start_firing_burst_02.wav
    4. start_firing_burst_03.wav
    5. start_firing_burst_04.wav
    6. start_firing_burst_05.wav

These are sound effects that are missing.
    Ok so proceeding forward to next step.

Step II
    Now that we have the missing sound files place these 6 files in this path
    "mods\Your mod\data\sounds\SFX\Individual\flamethrower" folder.
    And make sure these 3 .evt files are inside your mod.
    1. flamethrower_firing.evt
    2. flamethrower_remains.evt
    3. flamethrower_start.evt

Paste them if not already present to this path
    "mods\Your mod\data\sounds\effect_evt" folder.
    Now all the missing sound files are inside your mod now proceed to next step.

Step III
    Now all we have to do is put entries in the sound text files.
    Part 1) First open this sound file in your mod i.e. descr_sounds_units_fire.txt
    Scroll down at the end of the file and paste this entry given below:

Code:
    ;;; GREEK FIRETHROWERS  ;;;;;;;;;;;    

type Greek Firethrower

stage ready
                event lod 5 mindist 6
                    folder data/sounds/SFX/Group/Missile/Muskets

end

event lod 15 mindist 6

end

event lod 25  mindist 6

end

stage aim
                event lod 5 mindist 6

end

event lod 15  mindist 6

end

event lod 25  mindist 6

end

stage fire
                event lod 5 volume 0 mindist 20 effect_level 0

end

event lod 15 volume 0 mindist 20 effect_level 0

end

event lod 25  mindist 20 effect_level 0

end
    Now close and save changes to this file.

Part 2) Next open descr_sounds_generic.txt file and scroll down to the end of the file and paste this entry given below:

Code:
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;;;;;  CRUSADES FLAMETHROWER    ;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

event FLAMETHROWER_START mindist 3 priority 190 volume 0 distancepriority -1 randomdelay 0 probability 1 minPitch .9 maxPitch 1.2
            folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/flamethrower
                start_firing_burst_01
                start_firing_burst_02
                start_firing_burst_03
                start_firing_burst_04
                start_firing_burst_05

end

event FLAMETHROWER_FIRING mindist 4 priority 190 volume 0 distancepriority -1 delay 0 randomdelay 0 probability 1 minPitch .9 maxPitch 1.2 fadein .5 fadeout 1
            folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/flamethrower
                flamethrower_firing_10

end

event FLAMETHROWER_REMAINS mindist 1 looped volume -10 minpitch .75  maxpitch 1.15 fadein .3 fadeout 1 priority 15 distancepriority -3
            folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual
            torch

end
    Now close the file and save changes to it.

Part 3) Next we need to open the sound file called export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt file. Now here is the tricky part this file is very organized 'coz it is arranged accent wise and class wise and then unit wise something like that . So for example you have given this unit to byzantinum so press ctrl+f and type "accent Mediterranean" coz all the unit voices for byzantine empire are in Mediterranean accent. After that scroll down until you see some unit names that uses this type of accent then paste this entry between 2 units something like this shown below:

Code:
      unit Byzantine Guard Archers
                                        event
                                                 folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Map
                                                      Mediterranean_Light_Generic_Archers_1.wav
                                                      Mediterranean_Light_Generic_Archers_2.wav
                                        end
                                        unit Greek Firethrower
                                        event
                                                      Mediterranean_Light_Generic_Light_Infantry_1.wav
                                                      Mediterranean_Light_Generic_Light_Infantry_2.wav
                                        end
                                        unit S Archer Militia
                                        event
                                                      Mediterranean_Light_Generic_Archers_1.wav
                                                      Mediterranean_Light_Generic_Archers_2.wav
                                        end 
    Now i placed above entry in blue under Voice type light i.e. under class Light so make sure in the EDU file under the entry for greek firethrowers u have this entry voice_type Light.

Now close the file and save changes to it and now we are done with the sound files so move on to the next step.
    (The file export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt basically is responsible for the sounds that we hear when we click on them in the battle map. So now when u will click on Greek firethrowers they'll say "Infantry".)

Step IV
    Open your descr_event_effects.txt file in your mod and scroll down at the end and paste this entry given below (Warning:- If this file "descr_event_effects.txt" is taken from crusades campaign then this entry already exists so just skip this step if u have taken it from vanilla then carry on with this step).

Code:
    effect flamethrower_start_sound
    {
        type sound
        {    
            evt_file sounds/Effect_EVT/flamethrower_start.evt
        }
    }

effect flamethrower_firing_sound
    {
        type sound
        {    
            evt_file sounds/Effect_EVT/flamethrower_firing.evt
        }
    }

effect flamethrower_remains_sound
    {
        type sound
        {    
            evt_file sounds/Effect_EVT/flamethrower_remains.evt
        }
    }
    Now close the file and save changes to it.

Last Step
    Now we have done all the editing we needed to do all you have to do now is delete the events.dat, events.idx, SFX.dat, SFX.idx, voice.dat and voice.idx files from sounds folder of your mod and launch your mod so that they would be re-generated all over again saving all the changes you have done.

And What do u see or should I say Hear. Yes eureka Units sounds perfect now. Yippee we have done it lol.
    Last edited by Ishan; April 25, 2011 at 05:13 AM.

Default Re: How to Add Missing sounds in the Greek firethrower units.

When I delete the events.dat, events.idx, SFX.dat, SFX.idx, voice.dat and voice.idx files they regenerate sound files , but they are small 1kb or 2 kb files and only the ambient sound can be heard nothing else. I'm not running it through a mod , I backed up the main files and copy pasted the changes onto the main game. Would running it as a mod solve the problem? If so how? I've never made a mod mod , could you explain.

Whenever u want to built sound events to full numbers u need to put all the 39 vanilla snd files in the data folder of your mod or data folder of vanilla (if modding this).

Added the files to the data folder , still no luck. I've tried this b4 on a previous occasion b4 your solution came out. The files regenerate in virtual store as 1 or 2 kb sized files that are all but empty thus useles , only containing barebones sounds , 90% of the games sound is missing. As u can peice 2gether by now as my statement of virtual store , i'm using windows 7. Could that be the problem? Whenever changes are made unless running as administrator they go to virtual store.

I don't know what u are doing but it's simple:-

Place the 39 snd files in the data folder and make changes in them and save them.
    Now delete the .dat and .idx files in the data\sounds folder.

Launch the game and they will regenerate by reading the info on the 39 snd files.

Try this:-
    Since u say they aren't generated inside the M2TW\data\sounds folder but instead inside virtual store folder.

Place a copy of the 39 files in the relevant path of virtual folder and try again.
    May be the game is reading the changes from there not the medieval 2 directory.

No go ishan , no go . I've tried it that way already putting the files in virtual store , nothing. Logged on as admin and started m2tw from there but , nothing. Even put those 39 files from descr_sounds in without any changes to see if I made a syntax error , still won't generate anything but the wind blowing and thunder crashing. I have my old dat and idx files backed up so that's no worry other than having flame flowers (pun intended) sound like bowmen , it's just these new sound files won't regenerate fully.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Have you tried with the UAC disabled?

Have you thought about reinstalling the game with the UAC disabled and in a folder like C:\Games to get away from Microsoft's security layer and have evrything in one Medieval II Total War folder?

I logged on as the admin with full access and privileges , still didn't work. Yes I could re-install but that would be a hassle right now and what if it still doesn't work. Sigh , (swallows pride , rebukes pc) could you or ishan upload the dat and idx files , pretty please.

Cannot upload unmodded ones.

Do a search for sounds.idx. If you have them in the vanilla sounds folder, either Program Files (x86) or virtual store, you can copy/paste those.

That's wat i ment the ones that were regenerated. I already have the originals backed up.

Then copy/paste in the back ups. See if that solves the problem.

Already did , i'll have all the sounds but the firethrowers will sound like archers. So could someone pleez upload the working regenerated dat and idx files , I will be humbly greatfull.

I tried everything , up/down left right , scanned through the forums. Nothing worked. It seems to be an issue with vista and windows seven. So I'm asking one more time , could you ; ishan or irishron , please upload these ,

events.idx
    Music.dat
    Music.idx
    SFX.dat
    SFX.idx
    Voice1.dat
    Voice1.idx
    Voice2.dat
    Voice2.idx
    Voice3.dat
    Voice3.idx

the files that were regenerated after deleting. Thank you.

You want them the legal way, reinstall the game with the UAC disabled, unpack the game, again, and wallah, your sound files good as new.

Cannot upload unmodded files and mine are still unmodded in vanilla. If you want my modded files install my mod.

Not wanting to anger a mod but as I have stated in a previous post I still have my original vanilla dat and idx files (I back up before making any changes) . It seems you think I deleted them ( edit:and can't get them back) , well yes but as stated they're backed up. And as the whole halubaloo about legality , if your files are unmodded , then the whole point is moot , I don't want them I want the modded ones. What I was always after were the modded , regenarated dat and idx files that have the fixed greek firethrowers sound.

I am currently going through the link you gave me. Which version do you recommend 3.7 or 2.5?
    Last edited by Jackboot; August 24, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

3.72 is the last version. To be honest what you modded I don't remember if it is in mine or not. If it is, you are welcome to look and if it to use it in yours.

I tried both , none loaded beyond the grand campaign. Didn't see any greek firethrowers , nor (edit) hear any of the .dat or .idx files associated with them (while in custombattle). Do you have them Ishan? Can any one point me to a mod that does , if my above requests are unavailable (edit) here.
    Last edited by Jackboot; August 24, 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Here you go:-

Though it's from my advanced personal mod but it will work definitely. Though the tutorial explains how to do it in detail i think u didn't tried it in the first place or did something wrong.

Anyways download the attachment and see if it works for you.
    Last edited by Ishan; August 25, 2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: removed attachment

Sigh...... , they didn't work , at the startup of medieval 2 I get error mesages. Thanks though , at least that option's been explored. I've meticulously followed your instructions to a T , went over them with a fine tooth comb. I even pasted unchanged sound text files , my machine just won't regenerate the sound files fully only barebones sound. Disabled User Account Control , nyet. Logged on as administrator and followed the process , nada. This problem has also occurred on this other thread----> PRO DEO ET REGE: SOUND FIXES http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=148460&page=4.

In case it might matter , I'm using the version 1.3 patch. Thank you , ishan for this guide , at lest now I know the general direction to go in , I'll keep trying to fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

If it's for Kingdoms, only, it won't show up in 1.3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast