Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XGM: ELITE

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Default XGM: ELITE

Unit sizes rebalanced for play on Huge settings. 2 hitpoints per unit. Elite units of the "civilized races" are double the size of line infantry. Auxilliaries and other low grade units are doubled the sizes of line infantry. All barbarian factions infantry are double the sizes of the "civilized races".

Created initially out of a desire to see an historically accurate double strengthed first cohort, the idea grew until the entire roster was edited to bring the numbers down to more realistic levels. Historically, the elite regiments whatever their race were larger in size due to the fact that they most often than not hold the right of the line where their unshielded side is more vulnerable.

Now you will never see an equal size Roman army against the Gauls even with the roster full. No matter what you will be outnumbered if you play as one of the Civilized races against the barbarian factions. As it should be.

Version 1. 1

If there is clamor for a one hitpoint version i will try to find time to do it.

Requires: XGM 5.9.7

Warning:
    Please backup the original file
    This is insanely hard so try on m/m before raising the level as one of the civilised races. If you're a veteran of xgm, and want something different this will surely test your tactical skills =)
    I haven't play tested the other races fully yet, so feel free to cry in agony at your defeats

Install Instruction;
    Copy and paste over the existing file in the xgm/data folder

Download here;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2871
    Last edited by Ferrus; June 12, 2010 at 11:29 PM.
    The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win - Zhuge
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one
    Do you know why most men die before their wives do? Because they want to!

Default Re: XGM: ELITE

Looks interesting, how large are Marian cohorts after
    this is installed(on Huge unit size)?
    Last edited by Silver Legionary; June 09, 2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: I had a derp moment, didn't see that it was already IN the right forum.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'll give this a try next time I play XGM (though admittedly I don't know when that will be).

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Legionary View Post
    Looks interesting, how large are Marian cohorts after
    this is installed(on Huge unit size)?
    Post-Marian, A legionary cohort is 100 men excluding officers on huge settings. The first cohort is at 200 men. Did a quick play test against 4000 gallic swordsmen and a core of chosen swordsmen with a standard legion configuration of 10 cohorts and 4 Auxilliaries of Archers. Won the battle resoundingly with the lost of 150 men and mind you I didnt edit any stats except for unit sizes. I recommend only two unit of auxilliaries archers only as their size means they can be stretched as long as the infantry line.

I tried a pre-marian army, and by the gods the battles are tough with just ten cohorts(mixed 4 hastati, 4 Principes and 2 triarii) and 4 velite units against the same setup of gallic warriors. Tactics play an increasingly important role and in hindsight I should have included cavalry. If the Roman army can hold together after initial contact with the enemy, then a counter charge by cavalry should break them. Or you get swept aside by the horde. It is such an awesome sight though when you see both opposing armies line up together.

I should include another warning; this is insanely hard so try on m/m before raising the level as one of the civilised races. If you're a veteran of xgm, and want something different this will surely test your tactical skills =)
    I haven't play tested the other races fully yet, so feel free to cry in agony at your defeats

Edit; And just noticed that i renamed the file wrong in the download section. For those that downloaded and wondered why nothing has changed, please rename the file export_descr_unit for it to work.
    Last edited by Ferrus; June 12, 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Version 1.1 is just re adjusting the elephants back with their normal crew complement.

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

So many downloads and no comments? =( I would like to know what you guys think so i can improve it in areas that i might have missed.

I'm pretty sure those who have downloaded it are
    enjoying it, otherwise, I think they would be complaining,
    am I right?

As a side note, you said all barbarian infantry units
    are 2x the size of most "civilized" units. So, that means
    Chosen Swordsmen, for example, have ~240 men + officers on huge?

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Actually no, i didnt increase the size of the elite units of the barbarian factions. My personal opinion is that the barbarians should have only a few well to do nobles able to afford such equipment and basically they retain their normal size of being halfstrenghed to the rest of their army. Some playtesting have shown that they punch well above their weight and combined with the sheer number of barbarians on the field, civilised races have it pretty tough to hold together a coherent battleline. Unless you're a post marian cohort.

Look at it this way, more often than not you are outnumbered 3:1 or in some cases 4:1. And none of the stats are changed only the unit sizes. Which means taking out the few elite barbarian units your priority or else the line will shatter. My poor 1st cohort, athenian/syracuse hoplites at one stage had to hold off more than 800 howling madmen on their own on my flank, support units thrown into the fray to make sure the center holds as my cavalry charges the enemy in the rear. Areas where barbarian elites are fighting is where the most of your casualties are and whole units have disintergrated because of them. I think doubling the sizes of barbarian elites is just a bad idea and will effect the campaign map too much.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Whoa an XGM accuracy mod - I like it!

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

knguyen_93's Avatar Civis

Wow, a cataphract charge at those madmen and the whole cavalry unit got destroyed !!

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    Whoa an XGM accuracy mod - I like it!
    Thanks =) Any feedback about the races other than the romans would be helpful. I have yet to try the other races (only briefly with the greeks and that proved promising) because my gaming laptop decide to finally die the other day =/

I think it would become too easy playing as the Iberians though so anyone doing a campaign on them please post some comments and on what settings (etc m/m, h/h) you are using.

With this rebalanced of the unit sizes I am finding the post marian cohorts can start to drop like flies once the lines are breached and tried a custom battle in the forest, a favorite haunt and a good example of the terrain in Germania. Lets just say i reenacted the annihilation of Varus's column down to the last stand lol (as the romans..).

Quote Originally Posted by knguyen_93 View Post
    Wow, a cataphract charge at those madmen and the whole cavalry unit got destroyed !!
    Dont look at me lol. I didnt change any stats except for the unit sizes. Unless you meant charging into a 1000 men and watching your poor cavalry unit getting swarmed under... that feeling i know too well haha.

I am also debating whether to use the command features like in Balikedes mod which would be interesting. And perhaps doubling the unit maintenance cost to offset the ridiculous amount of money people can get.

@Quirinal; Yes i can make a 1hitpoint version soon. I might post one up tonite or the next few days.
    Last edited by Ferrus; June 17, 2010 at 08:22 AM.

So, how tough is this as the Romans in-campaign?
    Is it tougher against other "civilized" people, or against
    the barbarians?

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Legionary View Post
    So, how tough is this as the Romans in-campaign?
    Is it tougher against other "civilized" people, or against
    the barbarians?
    As the romans it is definitely tougher against the barbarians than against the other civilised races. But not impossible (unless you're nickname is Varus). Well, its a tad unfair if u blitz them before they have a chance to build up early on in the game so i turtle but if u are facing large numbers of them you can still win with a pre-marian legion. But i play with fatigue on, and let them attack me first though on the campaign map just so i can see some aggression from them in the battle map. I tend to always assume a defensive stance unless the barbarians are equal to my size numbers wise, which then in reality the Roman legions would then advance to bring about a decisive battle. So I advance too. When in doubt, stick the pointy end of the sword in a barbarian.

If you fancy yourself as a tactical general then playing as the Romans against the barbarian hordes can be a very fun challenge. Well i enjoy it and being outnumbered, timing becomes important for that all important infantry/cavalry counter charge and pitting your reserves in the right spot. The only thing i can say about the roman campaign is tht i now enjoy it tremendously if not for the challenge, then the visual aspect of seeing 4000+ gauls on the battlefield against my thin red line =)

And this is with AI bonuses on or off?
    I would like to see more balanced stacks from the
    AI, and if this helps, that would be cool.

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Well I play with Ai bonuses off because i get sick and tired of the multitudes of stacks i have to face in the midgame period. But like i said i tend to turtle so i dont really mind when they send some large armies later on through the alps.

And you will probably see the same kind of barbarian stacks as you see in the normal xgm. I havnt played further in because like i said previously in another post my gaming laptop died on me. So if you play the roman campaign tell me what the barbarian stacks normally consist of. If they include 1-3 elite units then i am happy lol.

Will do, starting a campaign shortly...

knguyen_93's Avatar Civis

If every barbarian double the size of civilized one, where on the earth the barbarian faction get the population from. For example, Thrace has 3 settlements to start with, if they keep fighting and restraining there will be no population for updating the city.

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by knguyen_93 View Post
    If every barbarian double the size of civilized one, where on the earth the barbarian faction get the population from. For example, Thrace has 3 settlements to start with, if they keep fighting and restraining there will be no population for updating the city.
    you do realise you can play on normal or large settings? Its just that your formations on the civilised roster will be smaller. And i have never seen a problem with the huge armies updatin their cities before, they will take abit longer if their armies get annihilated. But I prefer to play on huge because it seems more realistic to me, xgm already has the fastest population growth in my books anyway.
    Last edited by Ferrus; June 18, 2010 at 02:05 AM.

Funkyrobbie's Avatar Civis

this sounds like it gonna crash my pc....

Ferrus's Avatar Decanus

Well if you hadnt replace your pc in the last ten years... then more than likely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast