Thread: Good Literature for Beginners?

Default Good Literature for Beginners?

Hey there all!
    I'm quite interested in history, but most of the books i've read at this point are on Europe, and I am woefully inept in the way of Far East history.
    I'd like to start reading some background on the Shogun II time period before the game starts, and I was hoping that someone could recommend some good literature that gives a decent overview of the time period.
    I'm not looking for anything too specific, focusing on a particular figure or any of that, just something that will give me a good feel for the period, and decide what i'd like to delve further into from there.

any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You just lost the game. But you also won the contest.

Libertus
    In a time machine to travel back to Roman times.

Icon4 Re: Good Literature for Beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanrows View Post
    Hey there all!
    I'm quite interested in history, but most of the books i've read at this point are on Europe, and I am woefully inept in the way of Far East history.
    I'd like to start reading some background on the Shogun II time period before the game starts, and I was hoping that someone could recommend some good literature that gives a decent overview of the time period.
    I'm not looking for anything too specific, focusing on a particular figure or any of that, just something that will give me a good feel for the period, and decide what i'd like to delve further into from there.

any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated
    Well, if you have any questions about Japan post them in my profile (I know A LOT about Japan).
    Suck!!!I'm a traceur of parkour and I can do awesome jumps!!!

The Blessed Helper

Helper of all. I will help all with all their problem

Xuande's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Good Literature for Beginners?

For an interesting overview of "samurai history" :
    Weapons & Fighting Techniques of the Samurai Warrior, 1200-1877 Ad [Hardcover]

Thomas Conlan
    Thomas Conlan (Author)

I'd recommend a rather obvious choice, the book Shogun. It's not a novel to be taken lightly though (over 1000 pages If I recall correctly) but it is a good read and is based on the exact time of the game (rise of the first Shogun)
    Last edited by Ragerancher; July 15, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
    http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Infantry_tactics
    My TWC wiki page in the making

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Nakandakari Lobato View Post
    Have you already read the free stuff that posted in the historical section? There's enough there to keep you busy for weeks. Any of the accounts of the historical or fictional versions of the 47 Ronin would be good. James Clavel's old novel Shogun is well worth reading, and hard to put down. Eji Yoshikawa's Musashi is good, it's light reading, but very long, and yet compelling.

There's films and documentaries that can be found online here too.

And don't forget Eiji Yoshikawa's "Taiko"