Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parallel - The Empire of the White Hand - COMPLETE

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Default Parallel - The Empire of the White Hand - COMPLETE

Here follows the first Book of Parallel: Empire of the White Hand detailing the battles of Isengard against Gondor as seen from the eyes of Usrekí and also chronicling the exploits of one small Fellowship alone in a world of Orcs and Uruks and crumbling Kingdoms of Men...

Spoiler for Things to know before you read:

• As a "Parallel" or Alternate Fiction, this tale explores several different storylines that could have happened, but in some extreme circumstances.
    • Although apparently First Person this tale will also take a Third Person view on occaision. Furthermore the First Person view will contain elements that are moreso from a Third Person's eyes (only things that summarise what you know the character does not know but I want you to know).
    • Saruman's conversations with Grima are moreso to inform the reader of plans and events that have/will occur.

Previously

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Massacre of Helm’s Deep
    The Massacre of Helm’s Deep

My teeth tore mercilessly at the succulent flesh and my eyes followed the charge of horsemen.

‘Crossbow,’ I grunted to a lesser being and the Uruk obeyed, retrieving such a weapon from the corpse of one of the pathetic beasts that had failed to survive the Massacre of Helm’s Deep and handing it to me. I snatched it swiftly, ran my amber eyes across it, and grunted in approval, then I took the proffered bolt and drew back the cord with little effort. Uruk-Hai officers were chosen for their strength so it was with little contest that mighty Uglúk promoted me.

I stared down the crossbow and with little aiming did I pull the trigger for there was neither time nor a chance to pick out a single target from such a long distance. I released the bolt and the crossbow jerked back as it sent the bolt flying forwards until it vanished into the distance. My eyes strained to see mass of flesh and they widened as they saw the foremost (and I must admit, most delicious looking) beast stumble, throwing forwards its rider onto the wall of pikes before it, the bright evil coloured cloth turned a flavoursome red and the carnage ensued.

My stomach rumbled almost as loud as the storm to come, ‘Thugruk, ’ere ya bugger. Don’t think ya having all that to ya greedy self! Making my stomach moan watching all this ’ere distant slaughter!’

Book I: The White Hand and the White Tree and the One Ring

Chapter I: The Legions of Isengard
    The Legions of Isengard

The Living Flesh may think my kind ignorant of free thought but by contrast, right now, I was impressed.

I cannot count but I believe millions apply to this multitude, they stood, pikes held high in the morning breeze, yellow eyes fixed on the two figures upon the balcony. It was “wonderful” (I think the feeling is that) to be among the countless destined for glory (and they say Gondorians taste nicer than most men, and as for the few Dúnedain... the sweetest taste there ever was (or so the rumours suggest)).

Upon the balcony, Sharkû raised his arms for attention and we obeyed. ‘Children of Isengard, Rohan has fallen, now our work begins.

‘Ahead lie boundless forests, rivers that stretch for miles. The armies of Isengard shall spread across the Arda, Gondor shall fall, and the orcs of Mordor shall flee from the Uruk’s might and the men of Eriador will tremble before the Empire of the White Hand. That is our destiny but before us lies a greater feat.’

‘The mighty Citadel of Minas Tirith stands strong in the face of Mordor; in Osgiliath, Boromir defends against the recurring threat of Mordor and within the Black Land, Sauron worries. He knows his undoing is near; seven of the Ringbearers now scale the sheer faces of the Mountains of Ash and soon only the plateau of Gorgoroth will lie between them and the fires of Doom.

‘Our victory relies on defeating the eighth of the nine, but how will legions face up against the walls of the White City?’

The deafening stamp of our pikes upon the scarred and blackened ground sent the crows crying.

‘To War!’ Saruman bellowed and in unison the armies of the White Hand, so great they consumed the Ring of Isengard and the valley beyond, turned a half circle and faced south before advancing forwards to either death or the most glorious feast.

And so nine hundred ninety-five thousand Uruk-Hai poured from Nan Curunír and even an Elf would have to marvel for it was an army of such a magnitude that had not been seen since the younger Ages.

Saruman the Wise walked away from the balcony and examined the silent, black orb.

‘Nothing, Sauron is too afraid to show his face. He trembles before me!’ a crude cackle ensued, and Grima cocked his head as he watched his master.

‘I don’t understand,’ he hissed and Saruman sighed, Grima never understood, ‘why should Sauron feel fear now? Just because our armies rival his?’

‘Rival? I wish Worm. No he does not truly taste fear, he never will until he spies his Tool falling into the flames of Orodruin. His armies are being held back, he is postponing his assault. He refuses to send out the hundred thousand he would have unleashed by now because he knows I am no longer his ally. He needs a force to counter those I have force-bred. Gondor is just an obstacle.’

Grima hesitated and echoed, ‘“Would have unleashed?”’

‘In the past, wise men talked of parallels, this is such a one, and I made the choice that changed it all, my strength was the key to the Rise of the Empire of the White Hand. And this is how it all began...’

Chapter II: “And this is How It All Began”
    “And this is How It All Began”

‘Sauron overestimated his hold upon me, I resisted as he influenced my mind through the Stone.

‘He demanded that I helped him find the One Ring, he gave me orders of where to direct my scouting party but instead I sent them north with instructions to watch for reinforcements for Rohan.’

Grima looked puzzled, ‘What changed?’

‘The hobbits were never captured and so the fellowship never sundered. Isengard never faced the Elf, Dwarf, and Men who would have come for the hobbits.’

I took my blade and ran my tongue across it, my mouth watering as the dried succulent blood nurtured me.

I became aware that because I had stopped my unit too had halted. Exasperatedly I raised my voice over the din of hungry voices, ‘Get moving scum else I’ll make sure you ain’t able to move for ya backs shall be so red!’ With growls they resumed the advance and I replaced my sword on the strap on my waist before taking the foremost position on my unit.

We ascended up a gentle incline and I halted, motioning for the rabble to continue. To the north the rugged plains of the Eastfold stretched out to the banks of the Entwash which fled south to where it split into the many mouths that fed the Great River, Anduin. Eastwards I saw the marshlands of Fenmarch, bordering the Mering Stream that marked the furthest border of what was once Rohan and was now a collection of villages petrified under the shadow of the White Hand. All that Living Flesh, it made my stomach roar.

‘Usrekí, Sir!’ I turned to see an Uruk, fresh from the pits of life, ‘Forest ahead, sir, Firien Wood I believe, sir.’

Strange tongue the creature talked with, but I ignored it, there was a wood to burn.

I commanded the First Cohort of the First Legion, one hundred of the strongest Uruks, some fresh from the pits of Orthanc but most veterans of the Massacre of Helm’s Deep. It had been an easy feat, from the breaching of the Deeping Wall to the storming of the Keep, I remembered the defiant Ride of King Théoden; he slew many in his charge from the gateway before a chance bolt struck him from the saddle. That had been a rare day, simple slaughter under relieving showers.

As I reminisced, the Uruks were readying torches, waiting for the command to commence their evening’s pleasure. I stood at their head, scanning the Great West Road ahead as it vanished into the forest. A scouting party of Warg Riders had been sent to examine the lay of the land beyond Firien Wood, the Commander was riding with them, and secretly I hoped they would run into trouble for I was the next-in-line. A squawk sounded from within Firien and a moment later a flock of birds ascended from the trees, disturbed by a beast of some kind. I ran my tongue across my lips, oh for a crossbow and then perhaps I would have a bit of extra meat to enjoy with the day’s rations.

The distant sounds of galloping wargs reached my ears and I stared into the depths of Firien Wood, dust coughed up by heavy paws clouded the approaching beasts, alas they were full in number. Atop the grandest steed, a thick furred beast with a golden mane and streaks of blond down its brown back; was Commander Uglúk. He rose to the position after his scouting party discovered the Host of the Eldar marching south to reinforce the doomed Rohirrim. I had no reason to dislike him other than professional gain (The amount of rations was far greater than that of a mere Captain and he also had the ear of Sharkû).

‘Usrekí, Saruman the Wise has issued further orders: The trees are not to be burned.’

I froze, ‘Sir?’

‘If the campaign goes awry then the fires of Orthanc will need to be rekindled,’ Uglúk explained.

I gritted my teeth, ‘The ranks won’t like it.’

‘The scum’ll do as they’re bloody ordered to else I’ll flay em ’til they can’t say “No”!’

‘Sir,’ I muttered before turning to the Uruks. As Uglúk climbed onto his mount, I informed them of the development. Roars of outrage sounded from the ranks but I ignored the rabble and commanded them to make ready to advance. At sunset we camped beneath Calenhad Beacon.

Chapter III: Drúadan Forest
    Drúadan Forest

By sunrise we were gone, marching east towards Minas Tirith.

It is abnormal for our race to rest overnight but Saruman wanted no fatigue in the ranks. At midday we reached the beacon of Erelas and in the distance the Great West Road skirted around the Forest of Drúadan. Northwards I saw the grassy fields of Anórien reaching out to the southernmost mouth of the Entwash and where it merged with the Great River, a thin sliver of silver snaking eastwards.

Once again a scouting party had been sent forwards, Commander Uglúk riding with them (did he have a death wish?), ahead I could see the cloud of dust around them, the dark shapes of the returning steeds. They had found no opposition, we were ready to proceed so I ordered the Uruks to make ready. Uglúk arrived, his great steed’s eyes of jet glaring at me hungrily, I wondered what its rations were because it appeared malnourished.

‘Usrekí!’ I swallowed nervously as the warg growled; it seemed to share its master’s mood. ‘Follow.’

‘Form up,’ I shouted and the soldiers tensed and steadily moved into formation, I faced the front and advanced steadily, a moment later the deafening sound of pounding footsteps followed me.

At the foot of Nardol Beacon Drúadan Forest began and we marched past it indifferently. Rising from the midst of the dark wood was Eilenach, its fire raging. Gondor knew we were coming.

‘Gorgûn,’ Ghârik observed.

‘These Great-Gorgûn, these dangerous, these we should leave be.’

‘These destroy trees just like Gorgûn of Eye. Bhuri, these more likely to win.’

Bhuri frowned, ‘Eye been around since before lands sunk under the Great Wet, why Hand more likely?’

‘Stone City’s leader speaks of Stone Elder’s Bane being close to destruction, they say that if It dies then Eye dies. Hand is not close to death, Hand is a rising power. Hand controls land of Horses, land of Wild Men; Land of Tree is destined to fall.’

A twig snapped behind them and they turned to see a messenger from their Chieftain. ‘Ghân-buri-Ghân says we are to attack.’

A twig snapped but I only just heard it over the stampede of footsteps, I turned and scanned the line of trees.

However there was nothing so I removed my eyes to the front then suddenly fell to the side, a dart slamming hard into my arm. I gasped and heard roars from the ranks: other Uruks struck by the mysterious darts. I cursed in some tongue of the furnaces of Orthanc, and felt a tingle around my wound. Poison. Hastily I ripped the arrow from the flesh and sank my teeth into the affected area before ripping out a chunk of flesh and spitting it to the ground; I cleaned the wound and rose to the ground, shield between me and the cowards in the trees.

Another flurry of darts spat from the vegetation and I felt one clang into the metal of my shield. I moved to the ranks, ‘Shield wall!’ I ordered though most were already in the formation. Commander Uglúk was behind the First Cohort, his eyes moving back and forth over the trees.

‘Advance!’ came his command and steadily we moved forwards. Upon reaching the trees we spread out, advancing cautiously, expecting the worst from the darkness of the forest. The noise of cracking twigs was deafening within that silent place, it was impossible to spy or hear the people attacking us so instead we searched for their scent.

I stopped and closed my eyes, inhaling deeply and taking in the scent of the wild atmosphere about me, the stench of pure nature reached my nostrils and I curled my lip, then something else reached me, not the scent of the Living Flesh, this was... similar, but this was...

Suddenly there was a deafening battle cry, shouted in some foreign tongue; I whipped around, my shield raised to my breast in time to catch the charging spear. The thing on the other end of the polearm snarled, wrinkling its long mossy beard. I pushed aside its weapon, and brought down my blade in a long overarm swing, fearfully the thing raised a circle of wood but my sword broke the crude shield with ease and I felt my blade fall into its bony wrist. I retrieved the weapon and my eyes noted the sap-like blood that had come from the creature, I smashed my shield forwards, forcing back the stick-like figure such that it fell to the floor, I twisted my blade until it was vertical and brought it down into the thing’s chest, severing ribs and arteries. It made a coarse gurgling sound and more sappy blood fled from its mouth. I wet my lips but replaced my attention on the matter at hand.

I advanced two trees forwards and nodded to the Uruks assembled there to continue, they had obediently halted, waiting for their superior. We pressed forwards, moving steadily but silently, I taking care not to tread on anything that may make too much noise though my soldiers seemed ignorant of this stealthy approach and I grunted with dissatisfaction at every crack of wood or rustle of leaves.

Another warcry sounded and before us the creatures charged, branches holding spears and crude axes before them, spindly legs carrying their trunks with peculiar ease. ‘Shield wall!’ I commanded and with a clash our defences lined up in a bevelled barrier. Another smash was heard as the creatures clashed into us and our blades rained down so swiftly that few survived this attack. ‘Forwards!’ I cried and we marched further into the trees, the swipe of steel ringing out as the Uruks felled those who had survived the initial repression.

A second line of the things assembled before us, mimicking our formation with a simple shield barricade, I ordered the Uruks to halt, raised my blade, and swung it forward and my followers broke into a charge. The creatures wavered but we fell upon them before they had any chance to turn and flee, some had the strength to resist and pushed back with their wooden guards, but even these brave few fell to the might of the Uruk-Hai. One in front of me turned and fled but from my back I took my crossbow, ready with a waiting bolt and with a squeeze of the trigger the deadly projectile was set loose and a moment later the thing fell. I ordered an advance but halted upon reaching my victim, snatching up the bolt from the deep wound and examining it for signs that it would be little use to fire again. Satisfied of its condition, I reattached it to the crossbow which I replaced on the strap of my back.

We delved deeper and the silence grew, at one point the trees thinned to a small clearing and I looked up, the sun was setting. At that moment there was a crack of a twig behind our stationary force and I swung around, sword ready, however there was only an Uruk Runner.

‘Commander Uglúk orders a retreat; the forest harbours violence and is to be burned.’

I nodded and announced clearly, ‘Fall back!’

We emerged into the blinding light of the setting sun and as we did Uglúk nodded to those positioned near the trees. These Uruks now advanced, torches aloft and as the last soldier of the first cohort emerged from Drúadan, the torches fell and fires leapt up, beautiful roaring flames which swiftly licked the leaves of the neighbouring trees and like a wave of wrath the flames washed over Drúadan, leaving all black and orange, a glorious spectacle under the amber sunset.

And with the warmth of the blaze we camped for the night, knowing that dawn would bring the beginning of the Gondor-Isengard War, and the beginning of the End of the World of Men. It would begin with the Siege of Rammas Echor.

Chapter IV: The Siege of Rammas Echor
    The Siege of Rammas Echor

It was a mighty structure, stretching for many miles, and in the north it would be breached.

Sharkû had commanded that we used the fiery powder sparingly, that we breach only the gate of Rammas Echor so that it could easily be repaired in order to defend against the hordes of Mordor that would inevitably come. Therefore the Second Cohort was manning the ram: a much heavier and stronger tool than the one that broke the gates of the Hornburg. It was once again concealed beneath the shields of the Uruks and, as I waited with my ladder-bearing soldiers, I watched the unit advance steadily, under the intense rain of arrows and rocks, most bounced aside with a thud, clang, or crack.

‘Ladders advance!’ Uglúk bellowed and I gestured for my men to proceed, I waited behind until the ladder bearers had passed then marched forwards with the élite.

Each cohort included ten Berserkers, the most ferocious and deadly creatures from the pits, these units followed the ladders and would be the first upon the walls just as the berserkers of the Second Cohort would be the first into the breach.

The ram reached the walls and was swiftly brought crashing into the gate, shocked cries sounded from the Living-Flesh who were foolishly bracing the gate and then roars sounded, roars that chilled every Uruk’s bones. The Living-Flesh were pouring a boiling liquid down upon those with the ram and the sound of frying flesh was strong in the air, I snarled.

The oil ran out and the screams died, with a crack the gates broke open and thud, the ram was deposited and the Uruks charged in. The ladders were against the walls and the élite moved swiftly upwards, one fell from an arrow to the breast but courageously it tore the projectile from its flesh and rejoined the queue to ascend to the battle. I placed my hands on a ladder and ascended, the scent of Man was like smelling bacon in the morning, and lots of it. I reached the peak of the wall and leapt forward, pulling down a Gondorian that was about to slay an Uruk. I severed the beast’s gullet and rose to my feet, hacking down the next thing to rush towards me. I moved swiftly forwards, dodged the oncoming thrust and with a flick of the blade the next Living-Flesh fell headless.

Another man came forth, bearing the marks of a Captain, I swung my blade, but his met mine and I forced it back with a snarl. ‘Go back to your mud pit!’ the Captain cried and fiercely I slammed my head into his dim-witted skull. The piece of slime staggered back and I ran him through before he could recover.

Suddenly an arrow struck my breast and I stepped back, blood trickling from the wound, I let out a fierce howl and tore it from my body then fell forwards, clutching the wound, a Living-Flesh came before me and I struck his head from his shoulders before the fool could raise his sword. Never underestimate an Uruk-Hai. Another arrow scraped a line of skin from my shoulder and I gasped and took the crossbow from the strap, with one hand and little aim, I released the bolt and it sailed accurately across into the archer’s scalp. I moved swiftly towards another archer, poised to strike a Berserker from the walls, I used the lath of the crossbow to drag him from the wall then swung my sword downwards, over the head of another startled soldier. Weakly he aimed to parry but the strength of an Uruk is far greater than any Living-Flesh’s and I knocked his blade aside and mine sank deep. A spurt of delectable blood jetted up and I parted my lips to catch a few drops. Suddenly there was another man behind me and I whipped around but too slow, the man’s sword dropped towards my gullet – then he froze, a blade protruding from his stomach. An expression of surprise crossed his face as the sword was wrenched free and he collapsed forwards.

Beneath me the Uruk-Hai of the Second Cohort were flooding in, the Gondorians were being pushed back and I spied a few hundred who were routing already. At the head of those with the courage to stand fought a man with a long black cloak and the shimmering armour of the White Tree, he was effortlessly cleaving a way forwards with his men struggling to keep up, my fellow Uruks were giving this Captain a wide berth. I wondered if that was the man who rallied the Soldiers of Gondor, Boromir who kept back the armies of Mordor.

‘Sir, we have to pull back!’ cried a man on a tower and a second later he was struck dead by an Uruk bolt.

Boromir hesitated and called a retreat, he knew this was only to stall the forces of Isengard, he could not be victorious here. The defenders retreated, a few mounting horses and galloping off towards the White City. The Uruks took this as an opportunity to hunt without opposition and charged after them like wargs chasing a thrown bone. From the walls I now noticed a unit of cavalry charging towards the pursuing Uruk-Hai and I swiftly took the horn from my belt and sounded a recall.

Too late for over the din of battle the Uruks failed to hear and then they saw the cavalry. The foremost Uruks attempted to halt but those behind, blind to the danger, pushed them forwards and then the horsemen slammed into them. Roars flew from the startled Uruks, a mass panic ensued. The sounds of slaughter were oddly chilling when it was our own that were dying.

When they had given their fellow soldiers the time to fall back, the cavalry departed and no Uruk had the courage to chase after them. The day was over, Rammas Echor was breached and so at sunset we readied ourselves for the coming siege.

Chapter V: Overlooking Gorgoroth
    Overlooking Gorgoroth

Frodo Baggins was huddled up in his elven robe, thinking of strawberries and Bag End.

‘Aragorn we cannot proceed, we never considered...’

‘Legolas, mín tur-avon ped o hi, ea ho estel, ea ho lú.’ We cannot speak of this, there is still hope, there is still time.

Legolas sighed and turned away, his eyes staring at the Plateau of Gorgoroth and the flood of orcs occupying it. Southwest stood Barad-dûr and directly south rose Orodruin. ‘You can hide your words from them, but you cannot hide the truth. We. Are. Losing. You heard what that orc said, as we speak Saruman is marching an army so great that even Sauron trembles! If we destroy the Ring, who will destroy Isengard? The Ents? No they’re burning in the pits! The Dwarves are disunited, the Elves are fleeing, they know there is no hope and the Men are dying; and would that Boromir had not departed at Rauros! Saruman has no single weakness to be exploited, he has no equal, Mithrandir is slain, we know it and the other of the Five Wizards are either lost in the world or lost in nature, who can stand against him now? Middle-earth is doomed.’

‘Boromir had to go, had to warn his people of all that was coming. At the head of a Gondorian army, that man could imbue a courage in them that the world has not seen in Ages.’ That said though, Aragorn seemed to grow pale, ‘and I cannot believe Gandalf is dead, you saw how he vanquished the Balrog, if he could effortlessly slay that Beast of the Fire then how could a horde of Uruk-Hai destroy him?’

‘Effortlessly? It was only just that he resisted that Darkness, one error and he would have fallen. Age may have brought him wisdom, but it did not bring him strength.’

Aragorn bowed his head, ‘We have the Ring, all is not lost,’ he muttered almost silently.

‘I hope you two are coming up with a plan,’ Gimli said gruffly from behind them and they both swung around quickly.

Several feet away lay Merry, he had heard most of the words between Aragorn and Legolas, and now, as Gimli joined the argument, he moved over quietly to Frodo. The troubled hobbit was still awake.

‘Frodo?’ Slowly the hobbit raised his head; Merry smiled faintly and sat down before him, ‘How is it?’

‘Heavier with every step, I don’t- I can’t do this Merry. Every step is a burden and the Eye, I see it in my sleep, it’s conscious of the danger, it knows!

‘They say-’ Merry began.

‘I know what they say!’ Frodo snapped and Merry flinched, there was something in his friend’s eye, something not quite right. Silence ensued save for the distant murmur of voices. ‘I’m sorry Merry,’ Frodo said eventually, ‘I had no reason to speak so.’

‘You had no reason, but the Ring...’ Merry’s voice trailed off.

‘What of it?’ Frodo asked suspiciously.

All of a sudden an ear-splitting screech sounded across Gorgoroth. ‘Hide!’ cried Legolas as he spied the Fell Beast and its deadly rider approaching from the west. The seven remaining members of the Fellowship moved swiftly, darting for the nearest cover and removing all signs of a camp. The Nazgûl swooped overhead and whether it was simply scouting the northern wall or sought for the Ring by instinct, it was not clear. Either way it did not falter in its journey, turning southwards and speeding towards the Dark Tower.

Frodo raised his head, the pain in his chest had gone; he watched the distant beast, the Witch-King, as it vanished into the distance. He blinked, his vision was blurred, and yet clearing his eyes did nothing, there was still that white film. No, it was no trick of his eyes, he realised now that there was some light, growing stronger and stronger, white and unnatural in that accursed environment. His hand reached for Sting but something in his heart told him that there was no danger.

Suddenly a hand grasped his shoulder and he whipped around, and such was the shock of what he saw, he staggered back and fell.

‘Gandalf?’

Chapter VI: The Board is Set
    The Board is Set

It was a glorious sunrise in Middle-earth and today we would destroy the world of Men.

The Commander’s Tent was full of officers when I entered it at midday, ‘Commander, the towers are ready.’

‘Good Usrekí,’ Uglúk observed. He turned towards the western face of the tent; a layout of the city had been drawn upon a sheet of canvas hanging against the wall. ‘We will attack only with siege towers; the gate is not to be breached as it must be ready to stand against Mordor. The Tower cohorts shall aim to open the gate, at this point the remaining cohorts shall enter. The Tower cohorts will be all those of the Second and Third Legion. The First Legion shall be the first through the Great Gate and shall lead the advance through the streets. Captain Usrekí.’

‘Sir?’ I asked, freezing to attention.

‘I have been acting Commander of the First Legion so far, I must oversee the Siege from here so henceforth you are the Commander, congratulations,’ (I cannot say whether he said that unnatural word contemptuously or as if the task was impossible and he doubted I could do it), ‘choose a fit soldier from your ranks to command the First Cohort.’

‘Thank you sir.’

Uglúk examined the city plan, ‘There is to be no destruction of the buildings, the citizens are not to be slain, there’ll be plenty of meat from the soldiers. Leave no man alive, capable of wielding arms. The women are wanted, I do not know why.’

‘Huh huh, maybe Sharkû wants a bit o’ fun!’ an Uruk cackled and a few laughs sounded.

‘Quiet scum else I send ya back to Orthanc to dig your superiors out the mud pits!’ Uglúk roared.

‘That,’ said a calm voice that emanated power, ‘will not be necessary.’
    All heads turned towards the entrance to the tent, there stood their leader, standing tall; his eyes black and uncaring; and yet I looked deeper and realised there was more to the man we called old. We all lowered our heads; murmurs went around, ‘Saruman.’

The Wizard of Many Colours surveyed the tent before advancing towards Uglúk; upon reaching his subordinate he turned and examined the city plan, saying, ‘How ready are we to begin?’

‘The towers are built, the orders have been given; we may begin upon your command.’

Saruman nodded thoughtfully, ‘First there is something that I must be unveiled. Come.’

We followed our wise leader from the tent, a loud squeal sounded in the distance and, as a smile crept across his face, we proceeded across the camp, to the northernmost point where a group of tall beasts stood, clad in a much larger form of the mighty armour of the Uruk-Hai. They were ugly beasts, some with great tusks climbing up their upper lips; they bore maces and hammers, cold steel tools that imbued their followers with a sense of security, who would stand against these foul beasts of the pits?

Uglúk, too, was aghast; he turned to Sharkû and voiced our thoughts, ‘What are these?’

‘These are Olog-Hai, a far stronger form of troll; they shall lead the advance through the streets of Minas Tirith, from these the foe shall run.’

I stared up at the closest intimidating creature; it was eyeing me with hunger or was it curiosity? I could not discern its stare. These were the beasts that even we Uruk-Hai were no match for, save for in large numbers. My lips twitched into a Uruk’s smile – something so unnatural yet present nonetheless: I could see how easy this was going to be.

Chapter VII: Across the Plateau
    Across the Plateau

‘What trickery is this?’ Aragorn exclaimed, ‘you were in Rohan, how can you be here?’

The White Wizard smiled, Legolas stared at him keenly, perhaps spying for a disguise, an error to show that this was not who he seemed. ‘What happened,’ the elf spoke at last, ‘I sense a change in you, your robes are brighter, no longer are you grey.’

‘I was taken by the darkness for I underestimated the Uruk-Hai of Saruman. Those beasts are stronger than I believed them to be, they overran Helm’s Deep before I could muster reinforcements. Aragorn, Rohan has fallen. Gondor cannot stand. Even if you destroy the Ring, we cannot win this war.’

‘Gandalf, you are changed, we have the Ring, we can destroy Sauron, Saruman you can deal with, you are powerful, you are closest to his equal.’

‘No Aragorn, with every extra mile to his territory, Saruman gains more and more power, I am nothing before him now, not even with this fresh strength. Either way, I’ve been sent back, until my task is done.’

‘Gandalf, is it really you?’ Frodo asked suddenly. All heads turned towards the hobbit who still seemed unsure of the old man before him.

‘Gandalf, yes that was my name,’ he paused and raised his head, I am Gandalf the White, and I come back to you now at the turn of the tide. If only the tide were in our favour. One stage of your journey is over, you have passed into Mordor, now another stage begins. We must move now with the greatest speed, destroy the Ring and then see what lies ahead.’

‘Greatest speed? That is no easy feat,’ Gimli stated, ‘before us wait the armies of Mordor, what hope have we against so many?’

‘Oh there never was much hope... just a fool’s hope,’ Gandalf smiled but did so weakly.

‘Then what do we do?’ Legolas demanded.

The White Wizard turned to face southwards and in his eyes was reflected the mighty mountain of fire, raging and defiant before the Master that controlled it. ‘We must descend further, and then proceed to cross the plateau; I have the strength to conceal us from the orcs of Mordor. We must go.’

From the level jut where they had made camp, the Fellowship descended awkwardly down a steep scramble; the icy rock bit at the hobbits’ hands and furry feet with each step and despite their firm soles they winced after each movement. Frodo descended in exhaustion, everyday he was weaker, drained, his every train of thought was distracted, he could no longer concentrate on the moment, he was lead forwards by his companions, he knew his mission but as of late everything was too much of a burden to focus. Suddenly he slipped and skidded down agonisingly on his back, landing with a hard thump in the ash-strewn ground. A searing pain ran down his spine and he gasped and rolled onto his front, pushing himself slowly up. A hand was offered and he took it, ‘Thank you, Sam.’

Now on the level ground, the Fellowship gathered around Gandalf, ‘In order to pass unseen there must be silence, we must stay together, within the mists.’ As he spoke the clouds in the heavens descended and swarmed around them and as they proceeded through the plateau of rocks and tents, all their foes saw were blurs in the corner of their eyes. They delved deep into Mordor and fearfully they proceeded for they were unsure of their visibility, even Gandalf was concerned, repeatedly casting his eye upon Barad-Dûr.

However the Great Eye did not return its gaze, its attention lay in its Palantír; it was watching the distant battle unfold...

Chapter VIII: The Siege of Minas Tirith: The First Level
    The Siege of Minas Tirith: The First Level

At sunrise the bombardment began, rocks smashed through stone and screams filled the air.

The battlefield was laid out according to the aforementioned plan, my cohort lined up before the gate but at a safe distance to avoid the returning fire of Gondor’s trebuchets. The siege towers with their respective cohorts of infantry behind them were fanned out around the mighty outer wall, Sharkû had said it could never be breached, not even by his Fire, indeed it appeared to me to be similar to the black stone of mighty Or, it was said that in the olden days of bygone Ages, the men of purer blood forged those citadels with the same techniques, stone and magic.

The Legions of Isengard were to remain standing before the walls until the order to advance was given, such immobility would bring stiffness and fatigue to any man but not to us. Tonight our superiority would be shown, the Gates of Minas Tirith would be opened and the hordes would pour in and like a wave of death the Legions would annihilate all in their path.

Simultaneous screams suddenly reached our ears, quiet but distinct, even over the sound of crumbling masonry, my eyes scanned the walls, searching for the source until they finally rested on a cloud of dust rising from the first level, the wall of the second above clearly displaying signs of a missing tower, now naught but disintegrated stonework below.

There was another creak of a catapult behind me and I watched as the projectile arched up into the sky, reached its zenith, and then plummeted downwards, smashing its way through the foremost battlements of the White City. A handful of soldiers were scattered from the wall and the projectile rolled swiftly into a house below. A trebuchet retorted, casting its burden into the clear blue above, as the missile descended the throwing arm of the catapult positioned directly beside the First Cohort was winched back. A moment later I heard the synchronised creak of the engine being released and the sudden crash of the enemy projectile smashing down. I spun around just in time to see our missile, struck awry by the enemy shot, fly sideways, and smash into the ranks of the First Cohort. Instinctively I spurred my steed, an almost black furred Warg, affectionately named Grishthroquûrz forwards, unnecessary for the missile never reached anywhere near my position. Angry, I turned Grishthroquûrz and urged him around the Cohort and to the site of impact. I would estimate ten beasts were trampled by our stampeding amok projectile, a further twelve were crushed to the point of injury. I snarled and ordered that be removed to the medical tent, they were dragged or borne away, and I manoeuvred my steed around and ordered it forwards. The trebuchet’s missile had plummeted into the flank of our catapult and now the engine was only a pile of shattered timbers.

You’re in command!’ I spat fiercely at the Captain of the First Cohort before riding into the distance.

‘Thagluk, I need a team of engineers to see to that bloody catapult, a bleeding missile’s reduced it to pieces!’ I bellowed at a passing engineer.

I descended from my mount and as an Uruk hurried to tether it I proceeded to the medical tent. Inside it was dark, a few candles burned in the room, and a man hurried between beds; he was one of the corrupted souls who had fled to Sharkû’s banner rather than die with his family and friends, the worse kind of traitor.

‘The Uruks I sent here, what of ’em?’ I demanded of the piece of slime.

Nervously the coward replied, ‘T-two have sustained only superficial wounds, three more p-passed away, the rest are… incapacitated to the point of…’ He tailed off, we both understood each other.

‘Are they ready?’

‘As they’ll ever be,’ was his reply. I looked at him questioningly, what was that supposed to mean? I departed from the tent by the second exit, saying nothing more. Outside the nine Uruk-Hai were lined up, kneeling which was most likely due to their severe wounds. Behind each of them was another Uruk, bearing a long blade, not the traditional sword of an Uruk, the point of these were not bent for a cleaving stroke, these were straight and true for stabbing deep. Executioner’s blades.

‘You have done thy duty,’ I began, regretting the waste of life, they could have done much more but there was no time for nursing the wounded, ‘you have toiled hard for Isengard, you were bred for war and your duty has come to an abrupt end. May the next world be kinder.’ A curt nod and the swords fell, each blade ripping straight down between shoulder and neck, a spurt of blood, some jerked as if standing to attention, and then it was all over. The swords pulled up, they fell forwards, one or two managing a second spasm before collapsing into the dust.

At sunset Sharkû the Wise rode before the troops, smiling in satisfaction at the thousands laid before him.

When the sun fell behind Mount Mindolluin a horn sounded, then the heavy stomp of metal clad feet resounded upon the Field of Pelennor as the Siege Towers were pressed forwards under heavy arrow fire. Halfway forwards one fell to a trebuchet projectile, there was an explosion of dust, splinters and bodies before the crumbling structure collapsed, more missile fire attempted to crush the engines of siege but soon they were at the walls and the Living-Flesh did not dare target them any more for fear of striking their own men. With a crash the gates to the towers fell and like a wave of death the Uruks of Isengard flooded out. The berserkers came first and no man before them survived the first swing of their deadly blades. On the rooftops of houses behind the walls arrows rained down, deadly darts to destroy our mighty warrior’s lives. When the berserkers were quelled the regulars pressed forwards and these pushed hard against the enemy, forcing some from the walls. A bloody tide that none could withstand for each Uruk that fell was replaced by another and nowhere did their numbers fall few. Those from the towers closest to the Great Gate cleaved a way towards the mighty defence, I watched in satisfaction as I saw archers above the gateway fall from the walls, the feeble enemy could not defend against such reckless hate.

Finally I saw the moment of triumph, a crack appeared at the gates parted, without orders the trolls advanced, if the gates were not fully opened then their clubs could at least force an opening before the Gondorians managed to shut and bar the defence. I commanded my Legion forwards and we proceeded in the trolls’ wake. Before us the gates parted fully and the Olog-Hai charged in, smashing lines in the ranks of men, the final defence of the Great Gate. Screams reached our ears and hungrily we advanced; the scent of fresh blood already close. We reached the gateway and I raised my hand for no voice could be heard over the din of death. We halted and I paused, the men were beginning to flank the trolls, soon they would strike their backs where their armour was weakest. I continued to wait.

‘Charge!’ I bellowed as the men pushed forwards and if they did not hear me then they understood my actions for they pursued my sprinting figure, swords held high, and shields reflecting the lights of the torches by the buildings. We slammed into the ranks of Living-Flesh, blades falling as a rain of deadly steel. Cries sounded out, some Uruk, but most belonged to the Flesh. Blood jetted upwards, fountains of crimson that danced before the eyes, I roared in pleasure, swallowing a mouthful of the red as it gushed upwards.

I cleaved downwards and a Gondorian fell in a bloody mess, I stepped forwards, slamming my shield sideways and knocking back the Living-Flesh to my left, another Uruk pounced upon him and, his screams resounding in my ears, I turned to face the foes ahead.

Suddenly the corner of my eye caught sight of an Olog-Hai swiping its hammer through the air, I ducked swiftly and at the same time my foe flinched, fearing some abrupt attack, I did not move to strike him though and for this reason he was caught off guard when I brought my blade around into his flank, splashing crimson across the stones. Meanwhile the hammer whooshed overhead, slamming hard into a group of men, casting them towards the heavens. I heard an enemy command, ‘Shields up!’ and I too obeyed this order. It was close, a second later a cloud of fiery death descended upon our ranks, behind me I heard the roars of our infantry and smelt the gut-wrenching scent of burning Uruk flesh. I retreated back a step and glanced up, replacing my shield between myself and the enemy. As I examined the rooftops for the archers I spied a great boulder smash its way across the peak of the outer wall and rebound into a building nearby, a fountain of bodies erupted from this structure, and screams rent the air.

‘Fall back!’ came the foes command and I advanced with greater confidence. The men of Gondor fearfully surveyed their surroundings, stepped back one pace at a time and slowly parted from the ranks of Isengard. One troll roared and charged forwards, its mighty mace poised to strike a deadly uppercut through the ranks of Living-Flesh, but as it reached the retreating ranks, more archers appeared upon the rooftops and upon seeing the danger to their companions their loosed countless arrows towards the mighty beast. The troll emitted another, deafening roar as one such dart spat through its gullet, spreading a shower of crimson. The beast wavered, like a drunk Living-Flesh struggling to remain standing straight, then it fell back, taking down with it one Uruk that foolishly drew too close.

The Living-Flesh broke into a swift rout but we did not pursue, archers lined the rooftops ahead and only a strong formation could defend against a rain of death. I commanded my infantry into a testudo, myself joining in at the very front. As we advanced I felt the heavy patter of steal arrowheads spitting down upon the shield above my skull. My own shield was before me, and I peered through the gap between my shield and the one of my companion above me. I saw the wide street stretching ahead before it curved round and a place of education blocked my visage; I spied also the backs of the soldiers that were too afraid to fight.

We pursued the foe through twisting streets, volleys of arrow fire descending upon us as we came round every corner; more Uruks were flooding down from the walls but the First Cohort led the way and before us were the Olog-Hai. The road rose up and twisted to the right at the last point and when I reached the corner all I saw was the gate of the Second Level, standing firm before us.

The First Level had fallen; six more decided the fate of Man.

Chapter IX: The Slopes of Orodruin
    The Slopes of Orodruin

Before them the pinnacle of rock rose up, fire jetting like a fountain from its peak.

Frodo looked up with trepidation and glanced back when Gandalf placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder,

‘Frodo?’

‘I feel lost Gandalf, I know my path but it is a struggle to follow it.’

‘Do not worry Frodo, it will all work its way out. You have the strength to end this.’

Frodo nodded, not as confident as he hoped.

Thus the Fellowship began the penultimate stage of their quest, scaling the mighty mountain of fire with the Cracks of Doom not far away. Frodo was ahead and struggling as ever he was, halfway to the peak, he stretched out for a rock and pulled himself up, though suddenly the rock gave way and he was sliding down.

‘Mr Frodo!’ Sam cried as he saw his friend slip beyond the mists and not far above the Nazgûl circled and at that moment one glanced down, what Khamûl saw was no orc. The deafening screech of the Fell Riders sounded and all cowered, now the mysterious mists shrank and all around turned now to see the eight in the corner of their eyes were more than figments of their dull imaginations. The orcs of Mordor were suddenly hungry, though what beast would not be when some of the most exotic meats were placed before their eyes?

Aragorn rose to his feet and Frodo saw in him the King that he truly was for like a King of old he appeared commanding yet fair, and mighty Andúril shone gold in the firelight as it was held at his side. ‘Now is the hour,’ he began, not as confident as his steady voice suggested, ‘Fellowship you swore an oath of protection, now stand to your word! Frodo, go! Sam, Merry, Pippin, stick by him, Frodo must not fail!’

That said the Hobbits helped Frodo to his feet, and then proceeded to move as swiftly as was possible towards the peak. Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf closed in an arc behind the backs of the Hobbits, weapons ready and millions of foes eager for first bite.

‘Look at these things; you’d think they’d never been fed,’ Legolas observed.

‘Then let’s give some steel to bite their grimy little fangs into!’ Gimli roared and such was his nature he surged forwards and was the first of the Fellowship to spill black blood on the day that could see the world fall to darkness or the End of All Things.

Chapter X: The Siege of Minas Tirith: The Levels in Between
    The Siege of Minas Tirith: The Levels in Between

With a shower of splinters the Third Gate fell and the trolls charged in.

Behind the mighty beasts I waited before giving any orders. After a few minutes the foe would begin to weaken the beasts sufficiently enough to kill them and I could not let this happen, but at the same time I saw no need to endanger more Uruks than were necessary, they may outnumber the foe now but it was only a matter of time before Mordor would be unleashed.

‘Advance!’ I commanded and steadily the thunder of feet pursued the trolls through the gateway. As I emerged from beneath the gate I raised my shield overhead and my soldiers followed suit, a moment later a shower of arrows sliced through the air and ricocheted off our shields. After the cessation of arrowfire, I lowered my defence and pressed it to my breast. The foe were steadily retreating, they could not breach the armour of the Olog-Hai and so they had little choice but to fall back, they seemed to be holding us back so long as their Rangers could do the bloody work.After the Third Gate the road turned sharply right and ascended up a steady flight of stairs before turning again and taking another staircase to the peak of the Third Level. The archers were using the height advantage to rain down missiles upon us but our use of the testudo meant that our losses were few. I reached the end of the first flight of stair and suddenly heard a smash of stone behind me; I spun around in time to see the last remnants of a great boulder falling onto my soldiers below, a cloud of dust drifted upwards and my soldiers’ racking coughs were clear above the distant screams ahead. The spawn of Isengard continued with greater haste, abandoning the cover of their shields to proceed faster.

Frodo Baggins weakly scrambled up the jagged slope, his gardener not far behind.

‘Not far yet, Mr Frodo,’ Sam observed but Frodo was oblivious to his voice.

With the Cracks of Doom drew closer but below the strength of the Fellowship was trickling away, Gimli was roaring fiercely and swiftly the orcs nearby learnt that if they wanted meat they should stay away from the Dwarf. Legolas was reduced to using his knives for his arrows were dwindling; the bodies were piling up as the Fellowship retreated step by step.

Bang, Bang, Bang!

With a shattering sound and a sprinkling of splinters the gate was broken open and the hordes of Isengard poured into the Fifth Level. I was still at the head of the army and was now being assailed by finely armed men of Gondor; from the scent of their flesh it seemed that these were young to the role of soldier, their armour glimmered so because they had never been in the heat of battle, they had never had cause to clean it. Young meat, the freshest, most delectable, as I had a moment to think between conflicts I pondered over what a Young-Living-Flesh would taste like if it endured the same terrible process as veal.

‘For Gondor!’ cried a Gondorian and I returned to the present, turning towards the man and slamming my blade down through his cranium, he fell back, shuddering severely and I stepped over his bloody corpse.

I parried another sword swing, ducked low and ran the beast before me through with my blade, he cried out and staggered back, blood jetting out like a steam of refreshing mineral water. Another foe approached and I slammed my shield hard into his breast, knocking him back into the crowd of foes.

Upon the sixth level the defenders of Gondor were dwindling, our forces swept like a wave over the soldiers and death came swiftly to those who resisted. I rushed up the stairs to the final level, fatigue plaguing my body and only one Olog-Hai leading the way before me. I reached the peak in time to see members of the Fountain Guard barring the door of the Throne Room. I relaxed; there was time for rest now. I crouched and pressed my hand to the shoulder of a Living-Flesh’s corpse then with my other hand, wrenched the man’s arm from its socket. Blood pouring swiftly to the floor, I caught some drops in my mouth before taking a bite from the flesh. I rose to my feet and stumbled, the blood must be getting to my head.

No, no it was not me, this force was something else, something far greater and signalling something far more terrible. The earth was trembling, a storm was brewing, the water of the fountain splashed and rippled, a statue fell from its place on the stone walls, I looked east and slowly moved in that direction as if drawn. I reached the end of the jut of rock and the ground fell away at my feet, before me I saw the might of Isengard and each soldier’s movement, each Uruk of Sharkû turning to face the new storm.

Suddenly a bolt of green whipped up into the sky, spawning terror and turmoil in the clouds, Sauron’s hand was reaching out towards us, a shadow of darkness to guide his soldiers on their march to doom. Mordor was unleashed and I realised now something that should have been clear from the beginning.

Gondor was now at its weakest; Isengard too was in the heat of battle and fatigue clawed at our ranks.

Mordor had never been frail before the honour and courage of Gondor, Mordor had been biding its time, growing its armies.

If Isengard could produce millions in a month, what could Sauron breed in years?

Isengard was just another obstacle between Mordor and the world, an obstacle close to a terrible doom.

Chapter XI: The Pieces are Moving
    The Pieces are Moving

At Dawn on the day that, in another world saw the crowning of King Elessar, Mordor was unleashed.

It began with the terrible cry, the Lord of the Nine emerged from the battlements of Minas Morgul and led forth his Master’s mighty host. Legions of Legions, so many they could drink the veins of the citizens of Arnor dry, so many they outnumbered the Gondorians a hundred to one. Doom was not only marching upon Gondor, but on Isengard too.

The Host of Darkness departed swiftly from the Morgul Vale and at the crossroads continued towards the citadels of Men. They encountered no resistance and no scouts spied the new aggressors, none were needed for few had failed to see the signals of Mordor. As the road reached the brink of a hill and curved downwards towards the river the Witch-King descended to earth upon his Fell Steed and glanced sideways at the leader of his army. Supreme Commander Gothmog snarled, ‘Isengard is taking the spoils!’

‘Let them tire, do not strike until the city is fallen. Burn the River-City, this time-.’ Suddenly he whipped around, invisible eyes scanning the mountains behind him, then, without word, he sprang into the air and flew east.

Boromir spurred his forwards, his fearful eyes torn away from the Mountains of Mordor, it was beginning.

He was riding south, a guard of thirty of Gondor’s finest horsemen escorting him. One mile from Rammas Echor he drew to a halt, ‘How many has he mustered?’ he murmured to himself.

‘One hundred thousand at the most. Sir, it will never break the ranks of Isengard, let alone Mordor. It is folly.’

Boromir bowed his head, he whispered, ‘We cannot give up,’ then repeated it louder to the man who had replied.

The numerous horsemen of Dol Amroth riding towards them slowed to a halt and the two leading riders rode a few feet forwards then dismounted, Boromir did the same then rushed forwards and embraced his brother.

‘Faramir!’ he cried prior to pulling away and examining the men behind his brother.

‘Is it true?’ Faramir questioned, sharing no smile, ‘are we truly lost?’

‘There is always hope, if Sauron had the Ring we would know it. If He had the Ring what use would his soldiers be? Only his hand would be necessary to cast us into ruin,’ Boromir replied though he did so with doubt.

Faramir examined his brother’s troubled expression, ‘Do you wish now that you had stayed?’

Glancing over his shoulder at where the fires of Orodruin illuminated the horizon, Boromir shook his head, ‘I had not the strength. Now, free that I am of Its influence, I can see what evil It is, but when it was so within reach It was a tool of Victory, but for myself, not for Gondor. It must be destroyed, or the world will never be what it once was.’

Faramir nodded, ‘Come brother, let us show father that there is hope yet.’

Frodo clambered onto the boulder and rose to his shaky feet, there was the door to the End; he collapsed.

Sam saw him fall and swiftly moved to help Frodo to his feet.

‘I can’t do it Sam,’ said the hobbit faintly.

‘No! Come on Mr Frodo, let me carry you,’ and with some hidden strength the once innocent gardener hoisted his friend onto his back and, straining to proceed, he slowly moved forwards, above on a jut of stone Gollum watched, and jumped...

Saruman emerged from his tent and even he prayed for a miracle, he prayed the Ring be destroyed.

Chapter XII: The Siege of Minas Tirith: The Pelennor fields
    The Siege of Minas Tirith: The Pelennor fields

When the doors to the Hall of Kings were broken open we poured in hungrily.

In reply the fountain guard presented a wall of spears and the foremost Uruks ploughed into the tips and roared as their pierced bodies were thrown back. I ordered my troops back and nodded to the waiting troll outside, the beast smashed through the façade and the screams of Living-Flesh ensued.

‘Sir! Commander Usrekí!’ shouted an Uruk and I turned to see a bloody beast with a cracked helm sprinting towards me, ‘Sir! The scum are being led to the Hallows; their leader is guarding their backs.’

I spat out a curse and turned towards the stairs, Denethor could not escape.

‘Ride now for glory! Ride now for your country! Ride, ride for Gondor!’

‘For Gondor!’ they echoed, lance tips glinting gold in the light of the rising sun.

‘For Gondor!’ Boromir repeated, spurring his steed forwards, across the Pelennor Fields towards the Legions of Isengard.

‘For Gondor!’ the Swan Knights of Dol Amroth cried again as they followed their leaders in their glorious charge to fate.

‘For Gondor!’ Boromir screamed ultimately before a pike ran through his noble steed and he himself was cast into the mass of foes.

The Witch-King surveyed the landscape below and a wide smile crossed his ghostly shrouded face.

It called to him now, how could it have escaped him? It screamed through the clouds of dust, it screamed for it knew now it was so close to the end. He pulled suddenly on the reigns and his steed turned southwards and after a second command it began a steep descent.

The Fell Beast pulled out of the dive and screamed as it flew over the heads of the Elf, Dwarf, and Man. When the steed passed over their heads once again it had no rider.

Aragorn swung around, his blade ripping through the flesh of an orc, but then he froze as he spied the crowned, cloaked creature. ‘For Frodo,’ he said before charging forwards and swords clashed.

Faramir loosed an arrow and the shaft shot into the helm of an Uruk, in a flash of silver he drew his blade and it fell in a graceful arc as his steed leapt elegantly over the proffered pikes of the Uruk-Hai. The horse landed upon a stunned creature and the Steward’s son brought down his blade, cracking the helm of another creature, the rider pulled hard on the reigns, his eyes searching for his brother but, dead or alive, the firstborn was nowhere to be seen. Cursing, the second son charged forwards, ploughing through the ranks and knocking the beasts of evil aside, his blade fell once more but his target raised its arms and caught Faramir’s wrist and dragged him down from his steed.

Amoneth, butcher’s son turned Swan Knight, was at the foremost of the charge, his long lance struck his foes sending his target shooting backwards as if struck by lightning and it did so in such a way that it knocked the creature behind it to the ground as well; the horse of Amoneth, magnificent in its coat of royal blue, galloped through the ranks of evil who were dazzled by the reflected light of the silver armour. The lance came up and a longsword cut down, sweeping through flesh and steel in glorious ease. Little resistance did it meet and its bearer continued onwards into the heart of the army and only when the pike of an accursed Uruk struck his heart did his rampage stop, his body cast aside and the blood running from his flesh.

The darkness took hold of him; breath struggled to reach his battered lungs, Uruks trampled over him as if he were a carpet, he felt that eternal silence was over his body, he succumbed to its soothing rays of nothingness and then the darkness rolled back and the wide green fields that stretched for miles in all directions unfurled before him and there in those emerald lands did he rest until the Final Battle.

Boromir, firstborn, rose to his weary feet and immediately felled a brute that had taken him for slain, he spun around, crimson blade flashing silver as it passed through corpses, all about him his foes were as good as dead, that he decreed.

He blocked the blade of an Uruk then felled its head from its ugly shoulders, he parried a troll’s sword then rushed forwards and thrust his dirty blade through its groin such that it roared like pig skewered for lunch, he decapitated another beast of Nan Curunír’s pits then stepped back, weary at last.

A riderless horse trotted over and the Steward’s son mounted it with unease, as he raised himself above the heads of the countless foes the full extent of his enemy opened up before him, thousands of black figures waiting for their chance to fight or die, and they weren’t afraid of either.

Faramir, taken from his steed, smashed his fist into the creature that had assaulted him, with something between a roar and a moan it staggered back before it was felled by a passing Knight of Dol Amroth. The Steward’s son whistled then immediately began to defend himself from a barrage of blows designed to cut his head from his shoulders, he heard the trot of hooves and, his foe finally slain, he turned to see his steed, miraculously unharmed. He pulled himself onto the beast and spurred it forwards, to death and glory.

Uthug, common scum of the Legions of Darkness, braced himself as a horseman jammed onto his pike. He attempted to remove the heavy, obstructive article that was now skewered indefinitely upon his weapon like a piece of game skewered to be presented over a fire. Before he had a chance to succeed another horseman ploughed towards him, knocking a comrade aside before Uthug managed to fell his steed with a slash to the beast’s hamstring. The steed whinnied and mercilessly, Uthug finished off both horse and rider, delighted at the gush of red that emerged from the wounds of both beasts. Suddenly a third Knight came, its lance downwards. Too late, Uthug turned and was caught in the breast by the creature and cast into the air, taken by the darkness before he struck the ground, limp as boned fish.

From the burning city marched Mordor’s Legions, silhouetted before the bonfire of Osgiliath.

At the Eastern Gate of Rammas Echor the forces of Isengard were broken with heavy losses on both sides but to Mordor heavy losses were only a hundredth of their force. Beyond the broken wall they fanned out before charging into the ranks of Uruk-Hai, foul orc upon strong Uruk, it was a bloody affair, orcs falling like flies and the Uruk’s never tiring, yet even strength can be triumphed. Isengard was losing on the eastern front whilst across the battle plain the Swan Knights of Dol Amroth were routing, their casualties too great.

Boromir and Faramir looked back, tears in their eyes and blood spattered across their faces, ‘This is the end little brother. Nothing can be better after this.’

Faramir stared eastwards, ‘There is still a chance, slim but existent, but no, we shall never see the world as it once was.’

Chapter XIII: Time Routs
    Time Routs

Denethor, son of Ecthelion, glanced back and slowed to a halt, he turned, sword held high, ‘Gondor!’

He felled the first Uruk with ease; the dumb brute did not suspect such might from a man who appeared so elder. The next was more wary but a parry and thrust knocked the beast to the ground and a second swing felled its head from its shoulders, ‘Come Gondorians, you must buy your wives some time!’ he cried, rallying his courageous men to his side. The Uruks poured forwards but on the bridge only four could stand abreast. At the flank Denethor slammed his blade into the side of an Uruk and it tumbled sideways over the edge, its roar drowning into the distance.

Behind the defenders, the citizens of Minas Tirith fled down jagged paths that zigzagged down slopes or cut through the mountain itself, terrified and desperate they ran and in the mad rush to safety one or two stumbled and disappeared over the edge to long fall and a sudden crushing death.

Frodo hurried as fast as his weary legs would carry him through the doorway to Sammath Naur.

Behind him, Sam fell, his body taken down by a blow to the head, wild-eyed Gollum desperate to save the Precious, his Precious, it belonged to him! He sprinted in his froglike manner after the Master of the Precious, there would be no bargains, no trickses, this time the hobbits would be dead and the Precious... his. Right behind Frodo, Gollum leapt.

Aragorn smashed his blade into the Witch-Kings and a fierce mêlée ensued.

Silver shone in blinding flashes, sparks flew as sword met sword, the orcs cowered for here was a clash of titans, and now they dared not intervene with those so great as to fight the Witch-King.

Gandalf helped Sam to his feet and together they rushed to Frodo’s aid.

Within the Cracks of Doom an impenetrable mist swirled and naught could be seen of the two hobbits, but, as they ran further into the heart of the mountain they saw the bloodied combatants clawing at each other, each desperate to gain the Ring. Now, however, perhaps Frodo cared for it too much for would one small shove not send it and its corrupted loyal follower over the edge?

‘Denethor, pull back, it is ready!’ came the cry and the Steward and his men obeyed.

Back they drew to the end of the bridge and not until all the Gondorian warriors had reached the Hallows did an archer fire a flaming arrow to the sky. Many feet below, upon spying the signal, the engineers set in place at the foundations of the bridge destroyed the temporary supports put in place for just an event. It began with a slow crumbling noise, and those creatures upon the bridge halted and fearfully looked about, then one stone fell from its place and the rest fell like rain from heaven.

Separated from the foes, the Steward relaxed, Minas Tirith had fallen, this was the end of Gondor, the End of All Things?

Chapter XIV: The End of All Things
    The End of All Things

Beneath the flames the hobbits scrambled upwards, aided by Gandalf, the three peoples fighting behind.

Aragorn parried the sword of the Witch-King but effortlessly he pushed the heir to the throne aside with his blade, the Fallen King stepped forwards, raising his blade over Aragorn cackling, ‘Fool! No man can kill me!’

‘Then taste dwarven steel you lily-livered tunnel-worm!’ Gimli roared, rushing forwards, slamming his blade towards the With-King’s hood. Suddenly the creature’s gauntlet seized the dwarf’s throat and his axe fell to the earth. Gimli choked as the Nazgûl squeezed harder; Legolas, engaged in a mêlée with numerous orcs, felled enough to cause them to waver, then loosed his last arrow towards the Witch-King, it flew through his body and into an orc nearby but the Nazgûl screeched deafeningly and released the dwarf.

Aragorn, back on his feet, advanced swiftly, swinging his blade at the deadly foe, but the Witch-King parried the attack hard enough to throw the blade from its owner’s hand, then he slammed his gauntlet hard into Aragorn’s abdomen and he fell back, winded. Gimli came forth again and the Witch-King forced him back with repeated strikes of steel. The dwarf staggered backwards his axe knocked once again from his hand, he crouched low as the Morgul blade sliced through the air above him. The Witch-King hissed and raised its blade over its head, preparing for a downwards swing to fell the dwarf once and for all. Gimli scrambled backwards, his foe advancing... then his hand fell upon fallen Anduril and in defiance he swung it upwards, through the Witch-King’s waist, suddenly there was a silver light from the demon’s heart and a tear appeared in the cloak, Gimli roared, ‘Baruk Khazâd!’ and rose to his feet, ultimately swinging Anduril through the invisible gullet of the Nazgûl and the crown fell to the ash-strewn ground, a grey smoke curling from the scorched severed edges of the hood.

Gimli staggered back, dropping the blade and clasping his sword-arm. Legolas steadied him and Aragorn too rushed over, their eyes fell upon Anduril which turned black but did not wither. The heir retrieved the blade but immediately dropped it: ‘It burns!’ he exclaimed, taking a piece of cloth from the broken robe and wrapping it around the hilt.

The surrounding orcs backed off fearfully, exchanged looks then routing, shrieking that their commander was slain; and in Barad-dûr Sauron trembled: The broken blade was come.

Frodo slammed his fist into Gollum’s face and the creature rolled away, clasping its “Precious”, gleefully Gollum leapt into the air, dangerously close to the edge, angrily Frodo leapt after him, bringing Gollum down to the ground, hands scrambling for the Ring.

But the Precious was gone, tumbling out of Gollum’s fingers and down into the waves of lava below, screaming, ‘No!’ Frodo moved to follow it, the Precious had to be saved, but a hand caught him and dragged him from the scene. Gollum wailed aloud, ‘My Precious, the Precious is lost! Lost! Loooossst!’

Sam pulled his master towards the door from Sammath Naur, suddenly a figure materialised from beyond the mists, its hood, alight, a screeching wail escaping its body, it stabbed forwards, its sword catching thin air for the hobbit had dodged aside. Its last gasp for vengeance failed its exploded into flame and lo! The Nazgûl were gone.

Upon a jutting rock the Fellowship gathered, silently watching as the eye in the Dark Tower fell blind, the citadel of evil crumbling to dust and a wave of death exploded from the site of Barad-Dûr and swept across Mordor and its neighbouring lands and all that bore the eye collapsed into ash.

Frodo raised himself weakly to his hairy feet, ‘It’s gone, and this is the end, the End of All Things,’ he said, partly relieved.

Gandalf overheard but said nothing in direct reply, only to himself did he murmur, ‘The End? If only it were that.’
    Last edited by Inarus; October 30, 2011 at 05:35 PM.

Default Book II:The New Shadow and the Resistance

Here follows the second Book of Parallel: Empire of the White Hand detailing the exploits of the men of Gondor as they desperately attempt to keep alive the world of men...

Book II:The New Shadow and the Resistance

Chapter I: Victorious
    Victorious

I wavered on the edge, a drop of countless feet before me, a gust of wind, I fell.

The experience was exhilarating, the air strong against my face, rushing past; my arms flailed about in desperation and, after what seemed like a lifetime, my hands clasped hold of a rock edge and clawed at the jagged surface, finally they gained a hold and I hung in the air. I took a deep breath and exhaled, then began to climb to the remnants of the bridge that still stood. A hand came down and I seized it and was unsympathetically dragged up to safety.

Upon safe ground, I scanned the Hallows in the distance. Across the void I saw men jeering and it was with great satisfaction that I took the crossbow from my back and loosed a bolt towards them, with a fading scream, one fell and the rest hurried away, their taunts dying with their fallen comrade.

‘They will not let our victory be complete, they shall not let our path to glory be easy, not whilst their leader stands,’ an Uruk said behind me.

I turned but said nothing; instead I turned towards the east, something was happening. I advanced slowly, then broke into a run, sprinting to the foremost point of the jut of rock, as I ran the ground beneath my feet trembled; ahead, beyond the mountains of Mordor a flame leapt up and the explosion was amplified across the Arda, Orodruin was alight with such fury that had not been seen in millennia. A moment after the explosion there was a curious sound, like an oncoming storm, a rumbling in the distance. Suddenly a wind, so strong that it knocked me to the stone, swept outwards from Barad-Dûr; I climbed to my feet and looked down. The wind fell upon the orcs upon the Pelennor fields and they collapsed forwards, souls departed, shells of what once was.

Sauron, Lord of Darkness was dead and he would never rise until the Renewing of the World.

I roared in pleasure, Minas Tirith was fallen, Mordor would never be a threat again, all that stood between us and victory were scattered remnants of a fallen Kingdom.

Who now could stand against Isengard?

Chapter II: A Red Flame Rises
    A Red Flame Rises

It soared into the sky, ruby red and golden, a dazzling spectacle; then the spewed molten rock plummeted.

Frodo spun around, his weight relieved of him at last, his face shone in the firelight revealing an expression of relief plastered across his face. He shuddered as the earth trembled then cast his eyes towards the Dark Tower. The Eye was ablaze, the pupil screaming for aid, but its foundations were crumbling, the tower was falling, then the eye imploded and as the black dot at its heart faded from existence it sent out a blast of air, strong enough to pierce ice, rock, and tree. It felled all creatures of the Eye in its path and swept across Middle-earth, cleansing it of the evil spawned by Sauron.

The wrath of the wind felled the Fellowship as they stood on a great island in a sea of lava. Thrown down, F was too weak to rise to his furry feet and instead closed his eyes, sleep taking him at last.

They saw from afar that fountain of fire and felt the rumbling even from the sky, the Eagles were coming!

Screeches filled the air, echoing the joy of their race and indeed all races. In the north the last of the Rangers celebrated the end of an era of darkness, the Dwarves and Elves triumphed over the barbarians of the East. Harad too was not estranged to celebration, those many Ages tied to the evil of the north appeared to be over, never again would they be dragged to some terrible war with a terrible people, though those of the councils of the Haradrim Emperor thought otherwise, they feared Gondor would come.

However this time there would be no armies of silver, no men rallying to the call of the White Tree. In the lands of the Steward there was only silence, a fear fallen upon the people, all now were facing eradication before the victorious Legions of Isengard.

Gandalf was right; this was not the end, only the beginning of another terrible chapter of the wars between the White Hand and the Withered Tree.

Chapter III: The Resistance
    The Resistance

A cacophony of their cries signalled their arrival and from the clouds of ash they emerged, salvation.
    These noble beasts of the descended in a graceful arc, hovering before that jut that emerged sharply from the mountain of flame. The seven guardians of the exhausted Ringbearer followed Frodo onto the back of one of these mighty eagles and then were borne away, into the skies. A few moments later a skeletal thing emerged from the mouth of Sammath Naur, its back blacker than an orc’s heart and its mind lusting for so much: food, water, the Precious.

Hours, days, not even the wizard could tell how long it took to pass across the walls of the Black Land and over the fair forests of Ithilien and the grassy plains of Lebennin. In time the waters of Belegaer stretched out before them, an endless plateau of sapphire as far as the eye could see. It seemed to offer so much, even Gimli felt a calling, something crying out to be known.

Before that field of blue a citadel rose up on the edge of the Ocean, white towers stretching to the heavens, jagged cliffs, and mighty battlements standing above the waves. People swarmed below, tiny ants in a forest of stone.

Now the eagles gave renewed cries, slowly spiralling down towards the heart of the citadel. Their great claws snatched at the pale city walls and they crouched low to increase the ease at which their travellers could depart. The eight mysterious figures now bade grateful farewells to the beautiful birds and proceeded through the streets of the fair city, making their way to the citadel at its peak. The citizens in the streets looked on curiously for never had they seen such dishevelled creatures from all corners of the world, and never had they seen any man, elf, dwarf or little-person (of the latter none there had seen any in their lifetimes) arrive in such a mystifying manner. Indeed some civilians hid or cowered, they all knew the tales from the east, and what doubt was there that these figures were bearers of bad news or evil disguised in fair form like Annatar the Deceiver first appeared before the Elven Smiths of Eregion?

The eight finally assembled before the door to the citadel, tall and mighty it stood but darkened, like a weathered wooden relic torn from a bygone Age. They were welcomed in with uncertainty but someone had approved their entrance. They passed through more gates and more courtyards, following a straight road that steadily rose before halting before one last door, it opened, and into a mighty hall they walked. This place had a high ceiling adorned with murals of scenes told now only in fairy tales: the fall of Elendil and the Might of Isildur, the Last Stand of Gil-Galad and there was also one mighty piece depicting a glorious piece of fantasy: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, drawn as to be some mighty tale not its reality: the bloody battles of fallen races. At the walls stood statues of long-dead Lords of Dol Amroth, windows cast light onto the crowns of each figure; was it the light on the marble, Frodo wondered, or did they appear to have tears upon their cheeks?

At the end of this spectacular palace a group of men stood arguing, as the Fellowship drew closer some of these men were recognisable at last, Gandalf noted them all save for two Captains of the Guards of Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth and a woman: Denethor, Steward of a Stolen Throne, Boromir, Faramir, and the Prince of Dol Amroth.

‘Hail, Lords,’ greeted the Wizard and they fell silent, turning to face the newcomers.

‘The victorious!’ Boromir exclaimed, ‘if only we had your fortune.’

‘Mithrandir!’ greeted Faramir, ‘We heard a tale that you fell in Rohan.’

‘It was no lie, but who told you this, there was no survivor of that battle.’

‘There were some, the Lady Éowyn of Rohan escaped and led her people through the mountains, she survived despite suffering many wounds for the Uruks pursued them,’ Faramir explained, ‘traps were then triggered in the tunnels and the roof fell in on the enemy.’

Aragorn stepped forward, ‘What is our current situation, how can we act?’

A Captain stepped forwards, ‘Scouts report that the scum of Isengard are resting, feasting on those who died. However it cannot be long until they rise again, undoubtedly they will move south, they will come for us.’

‘Can we hold them?’

‘In the east, Dol Amroth has only a little ground between it and the mainland, we can hold them for long before they breach the outer defences, we can hold them then at the inner walls and finally at the citadel, meanwhile the fleet can evacuate the populace from the city. This citadel is unassailable from the north, east, and south, never will an orc cross the Bays-’

‘This is no rabble of mindless orcs,’ Gimli interrupted, ‘these are Uruk-Hai, and as you should by the ease of the fall of your finest defence, these will fail before no barrier, how do you think the orcs lowered the bridge at Osgiliath? Boats! Water is no obstacle and if common orcs crossed the Anduin, I think intelligent beasts, half-men, will manage the Bays. You can hope they do not, but you could also hope your boats sprout wings and bear your devastated citizens to new peaceful lands in the West.’ There was an uneasy silence and Gimli moved towards the door, ‘Now if you don’t mind I’ll have a bed and enough beer to put an army of dwarves to sleep for a week!’

It is with little exaggeration to say that the Fellowship slept for a day, save for Gimli, who surpassed the period of twenty-four hours by a further seven.

The hobbits took to exploring the city for never had they seen one so mighty, they ventured through the docks and marvelled at the boats of such fine structure. As Sam, Merry and Pippin examined a battleship, Frodo walked further along one of the many piers, faint and lost in a dream. Sam turned and searched for Frodo and when he caught sight of him he cried out and sprinted towards him. As he drew near he seized his troubled companion and turned him from the water’s edge, ‘Frodo!’

‘It’s calling to me Sam,’ he murmured dreamily.

‘C’mon Frodo, there’s nothing there.’

‘The Sea, Sam, the Sea calls me home.’

‘I’m worried about Mr. Frodo, Gandalf, sir,’ Sam said, ‘He’s not the same.’

Gandalf nodded, sharing the concern, ‘He’s changed certainly, the Ring stretched him out, it allowed him too much strength where he should have had none.’

‘When we were at the docks he said... he said the Sea called him home.’

Gandalf nodded thoughtfully, ‘His path now is the same as the Elves’.’

They gathered around a circular table, the many men of Gondor, the one man of the north, the elf, and the dwarf.

‘How do we proceed?’ One man asked, voicing all their thoughts.

There was silence for a moment; they all searched their minds for an answer, now considering the more ludicrous ideas they could come up with.

Finally someone spoke up, a young Captain of Minas Tirith by the name of Istion, ‘The corsairs, maybe even the men of Harad.’

Bouts of hysteria replied and someone chortled, ‘Maybe even enrol the remnants of Mordor, and the Spiders of Mirkwood!’
    ‘The enemy of our enemy is our friend, sir,’ Captain Istion retorted angrily, ‘the Uruks will come to Harad and when they do, not even the Valar will protect all that is left of the Children of Illúvatar.’

The man who had mocked his suggested snorted and fell silent, Aragorn however looked at the officer and slowly nodded his head, ‘Is it feasible?’

Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth nodded, ‘We could dispatch a transport to the south with an escort, and prominent figures would have to go to show goodwill.’

‘I will go, my days on the battlefield are long since over,’ said Denethor, ‘they shall expect none higher in eminence than I.’

‘Then it is settled, I only pray that it is done in good time,’ said Aragorn and then more quietly, ‘there can’t be enough fallen souls in the White City to feed Isengard for long enough.’

Chapter IV: Hungry Again
    Hungry Again

How can this be: countless slain, every one devoured; now I must ask, when do we hunt again?

It is true that we can survive longer without necessities but we have urges, our primal urges being to slay and devour, and when there is naught to devour the cycle begins again, must begin. The hunt has to happen or else, and that is a big “else” though even I, Usrekí, prodigious of all my kind, Commander of the First (and mightiest) Legion of Isengard, cannot foresee the consequences of an Uruk Horde in the terrible grips of starvation.

I rose to my feet and walked to the edge of the seventh level, seizing one Uruk who sat in my way and hurling the scum aside. The lackey roared in reply then fell silent upon identifying my rank. At the edge I looked down across the fallen city. It was now a fortnight since we bravely sacked the citadel and now all smouldered; even now did the smoke continue to rise, temperate torrents that smelt satisfying beyond anything. The smell of victory!

Chapter V: Under White Sails
    Under White Sails

The boat had sailed many leagues and at last turned east and flowed into the Gulf of Umbar.
    As the vessel moved further and further ahead, the Corsairs sent out their ships to intercept the small fleet. After conveying their intentions to the Corsairs, the Gondorian warships that protected their main transport were ordered to remain behind, under close guard, and the prominent vessel bearing the Steward was cautiously escorted towards the City of the Corsairs.

Denethor had heard much of Umbar, sailors’ rumours and the tales passed down from the days when the lands were under Gondorian control, but none of those tales had prepared him for what lay before his eyes.

The ships kept to the southern shore which at first was occupied by endless farmland, men with dark skins worked the crops, toiling ceaselessly despite the scolding sun overhead. Then a wall rose up, towering above all save for the swirling turrets of the many structures behind. Then came the ships, hundreds of the mighty vessels of war scattered along the seafront and beyond them rose the land and tall buildings upon it, alien architecture topped with amber domes or towers that spiralled as they climbed. Just behind those buildings on the water’s edge ascended a far more grand and almighty construction. Marble stone, weathered to a shade of grey, yet still sparkling as if freshly polished, four towers rose from its midst, stretching to the sky and staring down at the battlements far below, their tops were bronze cones that were twisted as if some great god had pinched their peaks and turned his wrist such that they coiled upwards. These towers surrounded one prodigious mass that rose up, a cube of marble that dwarfed all around, peaked by a dome so large it could shroud the entirety of the Hallows of Minas Tirith and that itself was topped with the flourishing banner of the Corsairs. Each tile of this dome that adorned the remarkable edifice was like a shard of mirror for they shone dazzling gold in the light of the rising sun.

The shipyards were beyond count, dark wood and cream stone with tiles of pale crimson, despite their industrial form, even they appeared pleasant. Smoke curled up in the background providing a backdrop of jet to the golden edifices in the forefront. Amidst the scattering of warships, battlements rose up on artificial islands, manned with longbowmen who regarded the foreign ship with great curiosity and catapults. Piers stretched out into the water but not any of those countless platforms could reach every ship in the water, and behind them canals snaked under and around the streets, small boats traversing these quieter courses laden with heavy goods destined for other parts of the city.

Denethor sighted more amber domes and twisting turrets rising to the heavens and the wall that surrounded the Havens curled round to the shore again and the magnificent architecture subsided to make way for even further fields of wheat. A wide road traversed the smooth terrain, joining port and city, merchants hurried between the two, indifferent to the idyllic locations that surrounded them for they were so used to such imposing structures.

The fields came to an end as hills rose up, adorned with vineyards that stretched across the horizon, and when these ended windmills came into view, and in their shadow lay small settlements and a quarry of cold grey amongst golden grains of sand. Then the city walls rose up and in their midst were more edifices of marble topped with turrets and domes, more canals adorned the city but the boats upon these seemed to be more for recreation than for transportation. There were fewer torrents of smoke rising to the sapphire sky, however small chimneys of the innumerable houses did spit out occasional wisps of fireplace fumes but these tendrils dissipated in the humid air.

Buildings on the seafront stood outside the mighty walls but a canal snacked between the structures and under one gateway and it was to this narrow canal that the Gondorian vessel was escorted to. It passed under a tall archway in the walls then curved through the streets before opening out into a wide lake, a beautiful spectacle despite the military presence ahead. The boat was ordered to moor at the side furthest from the sea and there was greeted by tall men with dark skins, swathed in crimson robes that covered all but their faces and the hands that gripped long spears with jagged blades. Denethor disembarked, flanked by his first son and Fountain Guard.

A representative of the King came forth, ‘His Royal Highness accepts your plea, but your escort must remain behind.’
    Boromir looked at his father who nodded and they followed warily.

From the wooden platform they were led into a wide courtyard with fountains and gardens; then the palace rose up, elegant architecture, murals and paintings, a door towered above them, open and foreboding. Denethor stepped in and the light followed slowly, gradually revealing the fine stone, lavish mosaics and colourful adornments. A wide circular hall came into view, at the far end steps rose up to a high throne; as he entered, Denethor looked up to see the dome was of glass.

He stepped before the King, and bowed, and all around were amazed at this act. Boromir too followed suit.

‘Hail Your Highness, I, Denethor son of Ecthelion, Steward of Gondor, come to you for aid,’ he took a breath, ‘for the enemy of my enemy is my friend.’ As the King of the Corsairs did not reply, the Steward continued, ‘The Servants of Saruman will come to these not-so-distant lands, they will slay your people, they will burn these spectacular palaces, they shall pillage and devour and not even your fancy ships will be able to carry you away to safe lands for when all Middle-earth is fallen to the White Hand the Uruk-Hai shall build ships and cross the waves and even the fair lands of the elves shall tremble before Saruman, traitor above all.’

‘Fine words,’ the King said at last, he paused for a moment of hesitation, ‘the world is changing, we have endured years of war, and there is much bitterness between our races.’ Another pause ensued, then, ‘It is no longer a matter of honour, of revenge; it is acting realistically and Umbar has little chance of surviving the New Shadow.’ The King rose to his feet and descended from his throne, ‘Long have my people been labelled “Barbarians”, now together we shall right that wrong and show that we are as civilised as the next man,’ and as he said this he pressed his hands to the Stewards shoulders in a gesture of friendship. ‘We shall destroy the Legions of Isengard and then enjoy reigns of peace, side beside, as brothers.’ Denethor nodded, pleased, and the King stepped back, then he paused and added, ‘Alas I fear my words may not be enough, nor my soldiers. Even if Umbar has the strength to destroy the threat in the north, I know not how to rally our people to aid such those who have been long thought our foes.’

Denethor nodded and pondered the dilemma a moment though really it was not his problem, then he suggested, ‘Perhaps the Haradrim could aid us, should they stand by our side, your people surely would follow.’

Chapter VI: A Sea View
    A Sea View

Frodo looked out dreamily over the sapphire horizon his hair stirred by the sea breeze.
    He stood upon a wide balcony adorned with marble stone and emerald flowers and shrubbery, kept watered by the vapour that blew in from the ocean. Frodo was tired, both physically and mentally, he felt – and he laughed when he thought of how to describe the sensation – like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. His neck ached as if it still bore that terrible weight, certain it was better since he lost Isildur’s Bane to the fires where the King of old failed to cast it but the relief had only been temporary.

He was not what he appeared to be from outside eyes. He was distant, he needed rest but this world could not provide it. He had spoken with Gandalf, but the wizard’s words were riddles and that he did not need. He had taken to writing, continuing the tales of Bilbo. He had asked Sam to copy his works into Bilbo’s old book in which was written There and Back Again, Sam had replied that Frodo would have plenty of time when they returned to the Shire. Frodo had not replied to that.

He knew Sam was concerned, but there was a hobbit who never missed a thing. He regretted what he knew what had to happen: he had to leave, leave everyone, all these fair lands. Sam would not understand, could not understand, he had never carried the Ring; perhaps things would have been different if he had. Frodo had to go, depart across the Great Sea.
    His chest ached from the single wound he had received, where the Witch-King had stabbed him at Weathertop and his hands were bruised from where he had clawed with Gollum above the raging fires. And now, as he pondered over his bruises and scars, Frodo turned his mind to the Other Ringbearer that crawled about somewhere in the world.

The Other Ringbearer was exhausted, he felt like butter that has been spread over too many loaves.
    Fatigue embraced his thin limbs, his Precious was gone! Grazes scoured his body, lost, the Precious was lost! Blood poured from a head wound, how could It be gone? He dropped down from the ledge and rolled forwards to keep himself from further injury, what was there for G-Gollum now?

He dropped down from a second ledge and began an easier descent down beside the Morgulduin.

Chapter VII: A Threat?
    A Threat?

Sharkû appeared concerned, a bad sign even at the best of times.

I had seen his reaction as he received news from the Crebain, but I could not understand it. It had been reported that Denethor had sailed south with the intention of allying with the Southrons but how could that combined force be strong enough to contend with our might?

Turning to the Uruk Chief Engineer, the creature that dealt with the construction of siege materials and the supports and walkways that maintained the new pits delved into the Pelennor Fields, Saruman asked, ‘Could a navy be formed?’
    The engineer was taken by surprise and paused for a long moment before replying with much hesitation, ‘I can forge such vessels but will the scum take to the sea?’

Now all eyes turned to me and it was such moments when I wished my predecessor, Uglúk, had dodged the trebuchet projectile in time. I hesitated for I had always seen water as the Living-Flesh’s drink and nothing else, eventually I replied, ‘They will fare well enough, they are strong, and know no fear.’

Chapter VIII: Hyarmen
    Hyarmen

‘Keep close to the torchlight and don’t stray, there are many bandits about,’ the guide warned, ‘now ride!’

They mounted their steeds, the son of the King of Rhûn, Denethor, Boromir, the guide, and twenty guards. They rode hard for several miles, passing first through farmland before cutting into the hills in a deep canyon that continued for five miles at least then opened out to an endless plain of sand. Their pace now slowed under the burning sun but they traversed the desert in good time for by the time the sun set, the Capital of Harad was in view.

Hyarmen was the lavish abode of the Haradrim King and for that reason bore a strong military presence, the northern half was predominantly occupied by the barracks and smithies, whilst the south was civilian with guards manning the roofs watching for any suspicious activity; and they had to stay awake for if they collapsed where they stood they would fall from the great height and their corpses would be found at sunrise. In the midst of the city a hill rose up, an inner wall on its peak that encircled the towering palace of golden domes and twisting turrets, all bright colours against a dark backdrop of ascending furnace fumes.

They were eventually permitted into the outer city but it took significantly longer to be led up to the inner citadel. A heavy guard escorted them through an outer courtyard then through entrance halls and wide corridors and finally to the Throne Room.

The Haradrim Lord of All rested upon his golden throne and looked down upon his visitors as if they were no better than excrement. ‘Your names and purposes,’ he demanded and the Men of the North had bad feelings that he would not be as persuadable as his ally.

The Prince of Umbar stepped forwards, ‘Noble ally, may I introduce to you the Steward of Gondor, Denethor son of Ecthelion, and his son, Boromir, Captain of the armies of Gondor.’

The King of Harad interrupted, ‘And tell me, what reason do I have for not placing these nobles in the gaol?’

‘These men have appealed to us for aid, and it is not madness to agree.’

‘It is not madness to agree!’ the King echoed in disbelief, ‘this is the child of Ecthelion the Second who destroyed your fleet and much of your city! How could an alliance be anything but madness?’ He took a breath for he had not since he began speaking, then continued, ‘This is an opportunity! A chance to see our greatest foes fall into ruins!’

‘And then what?’ retorted the Prince of Umbar, ‘let the spawn of Isengard march against us when they have more soldiers than we have acres of land?’

Gritting his teeth, the King of Harad replied, ‘If you aid them then it shall equally be your doom for when all is well in Gondor, they shall put down those who have always been their foes.’

‘I should rather live fifty years in peace than fifty years mobilising armies to face inevitable death.’

Chapter IX: Canyon to Doom
    Canyon to Doom

Five hours after the King of Harad reluctantly agreed to aiding the northerners, a small party of Charioteers raced towards Umbar.

Ten guard chariots, three archers per chariot and one driver with a single Chariot for those being escorted: Denethor, Boromir and the Prince of Rhûn. The chariots were loud, rumbling through the dust like an oncoming storm, and that thunderous noise alerted all around. They passed into the canyon and all echoed around them, and as they passed a delve in the side of the canyon walls; they failed to spot a large party of disgruntled horsemen.

Not everyone was as satisfied as their Kings were about marching beside old foes, these riders were such people. They galloped after the chariots, blades held high and bowstrings taught. The sound of the hooves was unheard over those of the beasts pulling the charioteers.

Harad was a country in turmoil, ruled by the Lords in Hyarmen who rumour said were puppets of the Corsairs – though rumour also suggested that the Kings of Harad kept no fewer than sixty wives. Due to these countless tales there were many men with Regicide on their mind, men who disagreed with the laws, the decisions of the monarchs or claimed to be the rightful heirs, not Black Númenórean usurpers. Now there was something strong enough to provoke rebellion, though fortune was on the side of the Gondorians for the Haradrim were hard to rally under any banner save for that of the Sovereign who the peasants viewed as legitimate. Of course that legitimacy was bought; the majority of the Haradrim care little for politics and so are regularly appeased with bread and circuses and so remain resolutely satisfied. As long as the current regime does not rule by an iron fist and is instead sufficiently just and generous, the civilians will be pacified; life is hard and uprising promises little better so why go to the trouble? Of course there are the more politically minded, or those with motives to rise under different leadership and they bide their time for the perfect moment to strike. However now those few people had heard of something terrible: an alliance with their greatest foe and as traditionalists they could not permit it, so they became assassins.

An archer on the rearmost chariot suddenly cried out and all heads save for the disciplined drivers focused on the pursuing foes. Swords high they were swiftly catching up, and it was only a matter of minutes until they were alongside their prey. Arrows were placed upon bowstrings with little difficulty despite the shaking of the chariots. Boromir looked back and saw the foe closing in, dark men swathed in dark robes that covered every part of their bodies; even a thin piece of fabric shielded their eyes.

They outnumbered the escort to Umbar, but had not their skill. Three archers per chariot, ten guard chariots, in less than a minute, thirty horsemen were either dead, severely wounded or thrown from incapacitated steeds. At least twenty remained but at close range, bows would be too inaccurate to fell them all so swiftly. As they came alongside the chariots, their skill showed; with swings and thrusts an opponent was slain, a strangled cry cut short as they fell off their vehicle and under the hooves or wheels of the one behind. Boromir used his shield to guard against his first attacker, the opposing sword slammed against the rim of the Gondorian’s defence with such force that it rebounded and fled from the grasp of the assassin’s hand. Then Boromir lashed out, his blade ploughing into the man’s waist such that he fell sideways and the steed of a companion drove straight over his twitching body.

Another assassin let out a bloodcurdling scream as a chariot leapt up then bounced back to the ground as the left wheel ran over his torso. A nearby horseman cursed and hoisted his spear over his shoulder before hurling it forward, striking the driver of the latter chariot causing the skewered man to fall aside, dragging the reigns with him such that the horses swerved to the right. The animals charged in front of an oncoming chariot but missed, just. The steeds of the other chariot swerved also, determined to survive at all costs, by some miracle they too escaped harm but neither chariot had any such luck, with a cacophony of screams, splintering wood and neighing horses the two vehicles became one in a fusion of lumber and dust. The horses, still tethered to the wreckage, whinnied in alarm. One pulled away and its bindings broke for the crash had damaged them, it trotted off, away from the slaughter.

Chapter X: Blood amongst Wood

Blood amongst Wood

Boromir rose from the wreckage of his chariot and, rubbing his bruised head, scanned his surroundings.

The only upright figures were a few horses, a guard duelling with an assassin as two companions rushed to join and a chariot crew, lacking a single archer. Approaching hooves signalled the arrival of five more assassins and Boromir moved his hand to his waist, and found he lacked a sword. He ducked down, increasingly aware of the foes drawing near as he searched the wrecked chariot for his sheathed blade. The hooves stopped and racing footsteps replaced them, the Gondorian’s hand found a hilt and he tugged hard. Silver steel shone in the light as it came free and it rose high, over his head, and another blade met it.

Keeping the opposing blade pressed against his own, Boromir rose and turned to meet his foe. Three of the five assassins were approaching him, the others engaging the standing charioteers. His opponent withdrew his blade then lunged forwards but the Gondorian turned to evade the weapon then brought his blade round into the man’s flank, the sword met rigid bone yet had sufficient strength behind it to crack it into splinters and sink deeper into soft flesh. The blade came free in a spray of scarlet and Boromir kept moving it, arcing it high such that it came down hard on the nape of an oncoming foes’ neck, the man crashed to the ground with a fountain of crimson in his wake. The next man was more wary as he approached and feinted with great skill, which was naught in comparison with that of the Gondorian, Boromir gritted his teeth then stepped four paces back and waited, silently inviting his foe forwards. The man approached, his slow movement turning to a swift lunge, a bad mistake. With his spare hand, Boromir seized the proffered weapon and kept it aside from harm as he ploughed his knee into the man’s crotch. The assassin staggered back in agony but gained enough strength of mind and body to spit at his foe’s feet. Boromir approached and his blade arced down then rose high, breaking jawbone and splashing blood against the fair blue heavens.

Wiping his brow, the Steward’s son looked around; the Prince of Umbar was helping his father from the wreckage and the surviving charioteers who had finished eliminating their opponents were chasing down the horses. Boromir ran over to an animal chewing a mound of grass that seemed to rise out of naught but sand. ‘Here,’ he murmured, patting its nose with one hand and pulling its reigns lightly with the other. It moved eventually and he coerced over to his father.

‘We should get going,’ the Prince said, ‘before more arrive.’

They reached the City of Umbar at sunset where they were informed that the King was at the Havens.

They rode the further distance despite the weariness plaguing their steeds but their horses buckled and refused to move upon reaching the farms before the walls of the Havens. Fresh horses permitted them to gallop swiftly through the streets to where the King was preparing for the voyage. All seemed to be going according to plan and one had to wonder if things would go well after all.

Chapter XI: The Waters Shall Run Red
    The Waters Shall Run Red

It was a beautiful day on the Oceans of Belegaer and today the last hope of the Living-Flesh would die.

The waves surged against us, rising up and denying our ship passage but we ploughed forwards nonetheless, the mighty oars slicing through the deep turquoise waters. I stepped away from the rail and walked up to the top deck where the wind was stronger yet more pleasant, of the Uruk in charge of navigating, I demanded, ‘’Ow long ’till we near Umbar?’

The creature grunted and replied, ‘’bout an hour, sir.’

I nodded, ‘Give the signal to the fleet to slow; we cannot intercept the Corsairs too close to the Gulf of Umbar.’

I returned to the rail and looked down at the roaring seas; the white froth escaped from being trampled by the hull of our ship and cast a long wake behind, the footprints of the sea. The fair sun glinted silver on the peaks of the waves, a dazzling contrast to the grey-blue of the deep oceans. Suddenly a strong wave struck our flank and I clasped the rail in a firm grip as the boat teetered on the waters. A close by Uruk roared in displeasure and minor pain as his bloody broth leaned to the side and then fell, splashing the burning contents down its owner’s crotch. The vessel steadied and from the flippantly named Crebain’s Nest a scout cried, ‘Dinner ahoy!’ mocking the Living-Flesh’s clichéd call.

Sure enough, a few minutes later I spied the first of many sails, the crimson of the corsairs, their decks would soon match. I licked my lips at the thought.

With explosive roars our cannons slaughtered the vessels of our foes and death was ripe in the air.

The explosive powder that had seen the battlements of Helm’s Deep fall now sent balls of iron blasting from the foreboding mouths of our artillery and careering into the hulls of the Corsair ships. The Living-Flesh screamed and wailed, but something was missing. That thirst for more, that exhilaration during the build-up to the kill, that release upon slaying the victim. Watching all that happen from so far away was like meat roasting but knowing it was not yet ready to eat. Suddenly a dark arrow struck my foot and I roared as the pain surged through my body, I tore the offending object free of body and looked across the ocean, scanning from the source.

An approaching vessel bore a heavy concentration of shortbowmen and I, Commander Usrekí, seemed to them to be the ideal target. Moving to cover, I took the crossbow from my back and peered around the blood-keg. Their artillery crew was in the middle of reloading their but that was all I saw for I was forced to duck back as another flurry of shafts peppered the deck. I looked around again and saw the bowstrings drawing back and I saw the projectile of their catapult be ignited, now was the moment. I targeted and pulled the trigger in an instant, the bolt sang a promising “thwoosh” as it sailed through the air and penetrated the body of one engineer then passed through and into the heart of another. I was shocked, even my superiority had limits but could I have asked for a better shot? As they fell dead a third member of the catapult crew rushed up the ladder to the peak of the catapult tower before the flames of the projectile spread. Too late, it was flammable with the aim to cause greater damage to our ship but it had rested too long awaiting propulsion and now the flames fed on the frame of the weapon. Swiftly they consumed more and more of the ship, and before they could be extinguished, the boat drifted into the path of our cannons.

Boom, boom, boom!

Silence fell then, save for the distant sound of our comrades battling upon their ships. I returned to the rail and looked down at the roaring seas; the crimson froth escaped from being trampled by the hull of our ship and cast a long bloody wake behind, the footprints of the dead in the sea. The fair sun glinted sparkling scarlet on the peaks of the waves, a mouth-watering sight to every Uruk around. A satisfied smile crossed my lips, with fire and iron we come and all shall tremble and afterwards the rains shall come and the waters shall run red... with blood.

Chapter XII: Everything Burns
    Everything Burns

The King of the Corsairs was on the brink of despair for all ahead was ablaze.

He turned and desperation was clear on his face, ‘We need a plan,’ he said, stating the obvious.

‘They use some devilry, but it is no incantation, they add something to the weapons, a powder,’ a keen eyed bowman announced.

‘A powder?’ Boromir murmured then repeated with understanding, ‘a powder!’ He looked at his father, ‘The Lady Éowyn spoke of how they “blasted” through the Deeping Wall. It was some black powder that created a devastating explosion.’

‘How does that help us?’ The King asked bitterly and Boromir explained.

I looked across at the enemy ships with curiosity for why were they keeping their distance?

A few were advanced to engage our mighty vessels of steel and wood and cannon, the rest remained behind. It was not cowardice, they were not fleeing... they were planning something. I had seen the Living-Flesh relaying signals between vessels and they were utterly incomprehensible. All the crew had been instructed on signalling that was based on that used by the Gondorian mariners – with great reluctance – but these Corsairs used an unfathomable code. I cursed under my breath, I hated it when the Living-Flesh had ideas, they always spoilt the fun. Just to make me even more angry, my stomach rumbled.

‘Order the captains on the other ships to speed the f-’ a sudden and single blast of cannon fire drowned out the word ‘-k’up.’

‘Sir... Sir!’

I turned and I could not deny it was spectacle, then the full horror set in. I was not afraid, I just saw what it meant, and I could already feel the icy water take hold though I was still on deck.

The balls of flame ascended then fell in a graceful arc, perfectly timed. I saw the first strike a distant ship and the projectile broke the sturdy outer shell that we had wisely reinforced, but then another followed the same path in swift succession and it broke further down, the armour was shattered and the third fireball struck perfectly a moment later. The consequential explosion of fireball and powder store was spectacular, bodies leapt up, like disturbed pigeons fleeing flames. Then an adjacent vessel blew up, a pillar of flame reaching to the sky. It was all perfectly organised yet so fast that I could not comprehend it. A rain of fire and the shots that missed were compensated by the flames of a neighbouring shipwreck spreading to other vessels.

Finally I raised my eyes for I knew my ship was next, the fireballs plummeted towards me. I wondered something: would I stand or would I flee?

I never got the choice for a second later a cowardly piece of filth hurried past, so intent on hurling his lily-livered soul overboard (alas a few of our breed are spawned with genetic defects) that he knocked me to the deck such that I rolled to the edge and nearly went overboard. The rail kept me in place but the explosion did not. Everything went white and stayed white, tendrils of fire snaked around me as I was hurled into the sea, from agonisingly hot to murderously cold in a few seconds, now I understood pain. The waters swallowed me up, as did the darkness...

Chapter XIII: Absent Without Excuse
    Absent Without Excuse

Frodo stared out from the balcony, a bitter breeze on his cheek.

It was a full day now since Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli had departed from Dol Amroth, leaving no reason for their absence. They had rode east over the horizon and had never been seen again, Frodo hoped that they would return in time for the battle, he would feel safer with such mighty men by his side. The wind from the East grew stronger and a sudden wave of nausea fell upon him and he collapsed to the chair behind him. He wondered then what had come of Bilbo, whether he still rested in the halls of Imladris, or if he had departed with the Elves across the Sea... the Sea...

‘Friends of men weren’t they Precious?’ Sméagol muttered to himself, ‘and this is the big house of all men, this is where they must have gone!’ He cast his glowing eyes up at the ruined citadel of Minas Tirith and began the arduous task of scaling the walls.

‘Oi, get down from there you- ugh what?’ the confused order of the Uruk distracted Sméagol who turned his head and looked down upon the creature.

‘Orcses, big orcses, and Precious is hungry isn’t Precious? Precious gone! Arrrggghhh!’ the wretched creature hurled himself from the wall such that he landed upon the Uruk and took it down to the ground where he bashed its skull against the stone and sank his grimy fangs in. He spat the mound of – was it flesh? – upon the floor, ‘It tastes like mud, doesn’t it Precious?’

He resumed climbing; at the peak, he was sure to find his revenge.

The four horsemen looked out across the Ringló Vale, the sky was darkening.

‘A storm is coming,’ observed Gimli.

‘No, they are Crebain,’ said Legolas.

‘Then we must not delay,’ said Gandalf, ‘Saruman must not know our plan.’

Aragorn turned his steed to the left and together they rode away from the oncoming storm.

Chapter XIV: To Victory!
    To Victory!

It was two weeks since the destruction of the Ring, now at last the armies of Isengard were bred and ready.

‘Dark skies rise over Middle-earth; a New Shadow is rising, the indomitable force of the Uruk-Hai! Before our feet the Resistance crumbles, only shattered remnants of foolish lords dare stand in our path. Now is the hour to stand true, now go forth and let all tremble! March to Dol Amroth and let none survive.’

So marched the Legions of Isengard, they were a force little different from the size of that which marched against Minas Tirith, one thousand legions of reckless hate against the garrison of seven thousand Knights of Dol Amroth and two thousand reinforcing Gondorians from across the country. Gondor would be swallowed up and there was no One Ring to destroy in order to wipe every Uruk out. Only brute strength could decide this and not even the thousands from the south could rival that of the Uruks. These Uruk-Hai lacked the pikes that had been seen at the Hornburg, they had made little impact at that siege and this one would be little different, there would at least be a few Olog-Hai Sword, shield, and crossbow alone would stand against the assortment of weaponry that equipped the Gondorians.

As this mighty force marched to victory, a lone body washed ashore at the Mouths of the Anduin. It was a tribute to the Uruk’s stamina that I was able to raise myself in less than a day and make the long journey north to Minas Tirith without stopping. A guard of a thousand Uruks greeted my bedraggled form and permitted me to make the long climb to the seventh level.

In the throne room, Saruman showed little reaction to my information, explaining that he had already been informed; I spotted a Crebain on one of the statues of a past Lord of the Living-Flesh.

‘My only regret,’ Saruman said, ‘is that I invested all the black powder in the warships.’

‘They performed valiantly, Sharkû; it was a greatly diminished fleet that we left behind.’

‘It is no matter, they are still fatally outnumbered,’ he paused then added, ‘you will stay here, we must ready for an assault on Rhovanion.’

‘But Sharkû!’

‘You will obey me.’

‘Yes, Sharkû,’ there was a moment of silence, ‘where do you plan to strike?’

‘That is what must be decided.’

Epilogue
    Epilogue

Black skies over Gondor, the end was nigh.

As the Corsairs battled ferocious storms near Tolfalas and the Mûmakil of Harad traversed the shallower waters of the Ethir Anduin, the Uruk-Hai laid siege to Dol Amroth. Trenches were delved to permit safe passage across the camp; the skilled archers of the Citadel were striking down any creature that proffered too tempting a target. Siege equipment was being formed: A mighty ram to face the great gate, two towers to attack the little length of wall and ladders to strike what little space there was in between. The berserkers were being organised into attack squads and the Olog-Hai were positioned before the gates.

Far away, Aragorn looked back in regret, he felt as if he was betraying his people, he should be there not following Gandalf on some mysterious quest. Yet despite this he continued going, for when had Mithrandir been wrong?

Upon the battlements of Dol Amroth Faramir looked out across the hostile plains. He checked the horizon for the thousandth time, nothing. He bowed his head. It was half an hour since the arrival of the Legions of Isengard, he nodded, ‘Fire.’

The first volley of arrow and artillery fire sounded, sending a cloud of death upon the enemy, so the casualties began; most notable was the death of Supreme Commander Ugrek, his was the first death of the Dagor Curunír.
    Last edited by Inarus; August 25, 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Default Book III: Dagor Curunír

Here follows the third Book of Parallel: Empire of the White Hand detailing the mighty battle between the forces of Saruman and the united world of men...

Book III: Dagor Curunír

Chapter I: Forlorn Hope
    Forlorn Hope

Dud-dum, dud-dum, the drums sounded in the distance, casting apprehension across the defenders.

It was the evening of the third day of the siege and Faramir was beginning to worry, where were the Corsairs? Not far away he heard a loud crack and crumbling sound as a rain of masonry fell from the wall along with a group of Gondorians. He turned to the west, ‘Order the trebuchets to amend their aim or cease fire immediately.’ A few minutes later the same weapon fired again, releasing a mound of stone to hurtle across the battlements, smashing into one of the two approaching siege towers and destroying it utterly. Faramir relaxed for he had tensed expecting a worse outcome.

‘Faramir! The gates won’t hold ’em any longer,’ cried a Captain and the Steward’s son ordered the Pike-division of the Knights of Dol Amroth forwards.

‘Be ready men, what comes through that gate will be far worst that anything you have faced before.’

Thud!

‘Stand Firm, Men of the West!’

Crash!

All hell poured in...

Acting Commander Lugrutz was in a bitter mood and kept wondering how Sharkû could be so foolish.

The “wise” wizard had sacrificed artillery for more elite soldiers and Lugrutz doubted it would be of much benefit. One tower remained and he feared that if it fell then so would the punctuality of the victory. The ladders depended upon a large number of foes being on the wall to oppress the enemy so that they could not find opportunity to strike down the ladders.

So as the ladders ascended a mighty crash sounded, not the feared impact of projectile and tower but the door to the siege engine falling upon the battlements succeeded by the roar of the infantry of Isengard. These were the Forlorn Hope, the berserkers of the deepest pits, few of them would survive the initial onslaught, but their sacrifice was the foundation of the attack. As they surged from the tower, they cut their long blades below the waist, snatching up the feet of the defenders and throwing them to the ground where either cold steel or heavy footsteps kept them there. Equally mighty were the Swan Knights of Dol Amroth who staffed the battlements, the archers being sent to the rear lines. These men were the elite soldier in southern Gondor, wielding heavy blades that were a good match for Isengard’s finest.

The ladders rose up and more Berserkers pounced down upon the defenders, far below the ram broke though and the Olog-Hai charged in, hungry for blood, but unaware of the defences of Dol Amroth. As they surged through the archway the guards in the gatehouse let the boiling oil fly, and it poured down as a torrent of agonizing and starving flames that sneaked under the armour of the trolls and devoured their flesh as hungrily as the Piranhas of the seas beyond Rhûn. The trolls roared for the pain was beyond what their tiny minds could comprehend, smoke rose and turned the gateway into a tunnel with no visible end, one troll emerged and ran straight onto the ready pike of a Gondorian, the remainder perished within, either from the devouring oil or finished off by Gondorian metal.

Next came the infantry of Isengard and they fared little better for the trolls hindered their passage beyond the outer wall and death was on the other side of the smoke-filled passage. They fell upon the pikes but steadily pushed them backs until pikes had to be discarded and blades were drawn.

At this point Faramir replaced his bow on his back and stepped forward, blade in hand. He cut down his closest foe, pulling back the blade from the wound and releasing a spurt of awful black. He parried another oncoming blade and then stepped back tactically, allowing the creature to make another predictable lunge. Faramir evaded this by dodging to the side, permitting him to swing his sword overarm, through the neck of the foe, and sending its head from its shoulders in a flash of jet liquid. The next creature cautiously deflected his enemy’s blade until the Steward’s son feinted one way but brought his blade around the other.
    The Uruks were steadily pouring out into the space behind the outer wall, upon the battlements the foes were overwhelming the defence who now were fighting valiantly to the end or routing to safer ground. The Outer Wall was fallen, now blood would run through the streets. As for the Steward’s second son, he was caught in the fury of battle, unaware of most around him; he never heard the reassuring cry from a guard regarding the sails approaching swiftly from the horizon.

Into the streets the bloody battle went now, some Uruks destroying the severed forces before them and passing unheeded deeper into Dol Amroth until the archers on the roofs of the houses picked them off one by one, other parties of evil pushing brave defenders led by the valiant Prince Imrahil down to the docks. The streets were narrow and there the defenders who split into separate parties fell whilst those who kept together persevered. The streets were a maze, save for the two main roads from the outer wall, one to the citadel, the other down to the docks. Upon these wide roads the pikemen remained in formation but steadily retreated to allow for the Uruks penetrating deeper into the city via the smaller streets.

In time, the defenders in the city streets reached the inner wall and there they cautiously retreated behind the defence under cover from the rain of arrows from the battlements above.

Elsewhere the blood was running down the roads to the docks, the Prince Imrahil already bearing minor wounds. His followers were dwindling yet the boats were nearing the shore, the Corsairs at last had come! The Prince, however was oblivious to all this, his blade was cleaving endlessly through Uruk flesh and had his foes been lesser beings in courage, they would have wavered. The wood of one of the many piers under his feet, Prince Imrahil stepped forwards again, brave and defiant, his bloody sword cleaved one beast in two then cut through another’s arm sending black blood spurting all around him. His shining shield shone silver as it deflected the incoming blade from one Uruk but then it coloured terrible red as some foul creature ran its owner through with a defiant roar. Mighty Prince Imrahil gasped, metallic blood strong to taste in his mouth, he fell to his knees then rolled aside, he coughed up more awful crimson and felt arms take hold of him. The features of Boromir swam into view and a smile crossed his bloody lips, ‘You came, it shall not be enough though.’

‘No! Gondor will prevail; I will not let our country fall.’

‘I have failed, and the only comfort lies in that I shall never see the City of Swans in ruins, nor see my people know I have disappointed.’

‘No, you have triumphed, you lie here in the midst of the hundreds to whom you sent death. I must take up your mighty mantle, though I doubt I shall be so bold.’

‘Farewell, Boromir, and let the wizard feel your valour, mine is wasted,’ that said, so passed Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth.

‘Farewell, brother,’ Boromir replied.

With thousands at his side, he then fell upon the Uruk-Hai with fury to match that of a Berserker.

As the surviving Gondorians who had stood loyally at his side carried the Prince to a safe place, the Corsairs advanced. These men of the sea were of different calibre to that of the Swan Knights but they had great courage when the need was great. They charged forwards, striking lethal blows to the startled Uruks, pushing them swiftly back. As they pushed forth, the trebuchets rained down upon the Uruk-Hai as they slowly filled the streets. From the citadel, there came the sound of horns and the gates opened to spew out a stream of cavalry that poured down the main street and any others that were sufficiently wide. Suddenly everything changed; the morale of the Uruks was miraculously broken as if they had seen the Dead on their tails. At the outer wall, the Corsairs met the mounted Swan Knights of Dol Amroth and, with no qualms, they fought side by side, pushing back the foe until the streets were clear. The walls were recaptured and the gateway repaired with salvaged wood and steel, the ladders were cast down and the last tower destroyed.

It was a spectacular and unbelievable victory, but the men were still fatally outnumbered. In the camp of Isengard that night, the Uruk-Hai did rest for once, not due to weariness but due to morale. It was not that more enemies had arrived but the knowledge that for the first time, the Uruk-Hai race had failed, they had not destroyed the enemy fleet and that dealt a far greater blow than anything else did.

The battle was not yet over for the Uruk-Hai were resolute in one thing, when they recovered at dawn, they would get their vengeance and it would not be pretty.

Chapter II: The Fourth Day
    The Fourth Day

Dawn.

Ladders were cast hastily against the walls and the creatures hurried to the peaks, there was no ram nor tower, though these were under construction. The men were using up their last reserves of boiling oil, hurling buckets of it from the battlements, a spatter of agonising slow death to torment their foes. The defenders maintained a steady defence, striking swiftly and felling the beasts from the peaks of the ladders before they could seek time to attack. This continued for most of the day, with the desperate Uruks determined to storm the city as swiftly as possible.

At around midday, the leaders of the Resistance gathered: Denethor and his two sons, the Captains of the armies of Gondor, the Lady Éowyn and the Lords of the Corsairs, and the hobbits, except for Frodo who had excused himself on account of being ill.

‘How long until the Haradrim arrive?’

‘A day, two, no longer unless they have encountered delay,’ the Corsair King replied.

‘Can we hold the outer wall for that long?’ the Lady Éowyn asked.

‘Should the Uruk-Hai continue their desperate attempts,’ Faramir hesitated, ‘a few hours, but I think something is occurring to the north of their camp, scouts report that they are constructing more that siege engines...’

‘Suggesting?’ Boromir asked.

Right on cue, a guard announced the answer with a cry of, ‘Enemy ships approaching swiftly from the north!’

The Corsair Sovereign dispatched his son to deal with the threat leaving him to spread his single doubt: ‘What if they have more explosive powder?’

‘We can only pray that they do not,’ Boromir replied grimly.

Working at the greatest pace, it took half an hour to ready only ten ships and send them forth to sea.

The enemy’s twenty met them near the port, but the Corsairs were favoured for they faced no cannon only heavy ballistae, twelve on each vessel to match the Corsair’s twenty-two and single catapult. Manning one ballista was Umaah, son of Uhar, a young Haradrim of eighteen who had joined with hopes of being chosen to accompany an expedition south to mysterious shores, instead he got the bloody wars of the north. As the first opposing ship came alongside and the command was given, he triggered the ballista, sending the bolt slicing through the enemy hull in an explosion of deadly splinters. The combined broadside immediately threatened the Uruk vessel’s stability and it rocked at treacherous angles before steadying in time to receive a second bombardment. The succeeding blast permitted the oceans into the breach and Umaah cheered at his victory. On the other side of the vessel, the catapult had destroyed another ship of Isengard and two more were fast approaching on either flank. “Fire at will” was the current command and Umaah had little time to obey before the Uruks pushed across a boarding ramp and he had to draw his scimitar.

The enemy fell upon them with the typical fury, and Umaah was barely prepared. Forced to deflecting as much as he could then retaliate with the skills he had learnt in Umbar’s finest establishments: a knee to the groin, spare hand curled tight into a fist to be sent hard into the unprotected flank, and finish off with the blade striking hard where it is most opportune. Certainly, Umbar’s brothels were the bloodiest.

A berserker suddenly stepped forwards, its bloody blade expertly snatched Umaah’s feet from the ground and the Haradrim could do naught but pray for a miracle as its blade descended fast. He would never see the Jungles of the South. The crude metal point on the blade’s tip sank deep into his chest and he cried out until his lungs were empty, the air escaping through the bloody tear. The blade came free and Umaah wailed in agony as the awful red spurted from his chest like a fountain. The pain was beyond imagining, and the cold air was like salt to the wound for it ate at the flesh. His vision blurred, his mouth spat out the terrible crimson, his head lolled to one side, his eyes pleaded for relief, tears welled up, but they would not clear the darkness that was clouding all. Feebly his hand crept up to the air but a heavy foot clamped it to the floor as some merciless figure trampled over him. His lungs were breathing on blood now, the same scarlet fluid leaking at too rapid a pace. The darkness took its hold, and he was washed away from sensation and speeding towards a darkening sky of stormclouds that fled away swiftly to reveal eternal fields of idyllic emerald grass and clear sapphire skies, was this Elysium?

Elsewhere a single Isengard vessel had evaded the Corsairs and now reached the docks, spewing out Uruks.

The defenders swiftly engaged them, fighting back the hordes and pushing them into the sea where the remaining vessels were being swiftly overcome. When at last these ships were cast to watery graves, the Corsairs retreated to the docks in great cheer, however at the easternmost side of the city; a new battering ram was brought across and after a succession of crashes the gates parted and did so with greater ease than before for they had been too hastily repaired.

More evil poured in and the Gondorians no longer had the capability to withstand them. They were steadily pushed back to the Citadel and now the Uruk-Hai were one wall away from victory. As the sun set, the Uruks of Saruman were transporting the siege equipment to the inner city for soon the last blood of Gondor would be shed.

Yet upon the horizon, a party of scouts reigned in, fully clad in foreign attire, and overhead the scarlet banner of distant Harad flourished in the sun.

Chapter III: The Ghosts of the Past
    The Ghosts of the Past

A dark sky covered Middle-earth, yet it was only midday.

As Dol Amroth was enduring the first day of the siege, the four figures came at last to the terrible hill beneath the shadow of the Dwimorberg. Upon that hill stood the Stone of Erech, unearthly in appearance as if fallen from the sky, for it was jet in colour, as round as a great globe and as tall as a man. It had been brought from the ruin of Númenor and set there by Isildur at his landing, and there the Men of the Mountain had sworn to aid Isildur in the coming war, but never had and so were cursed.

‘I see them!’ cried Gimli who was unaccustomed to such fear.

‘They are gathered, already here for here they come when the need is great, though never before were they were summoned,’ Legolas said.

Aragorn strode forth, the reforged blade that had been gifted to him in Rivendell in his hand and in the other was a silver horn. He blew it and as one note faded out, many more answered, maybe it was an echo but the chill down Gimli’s spine suggested otherwise. Aragorn, standing by the stone, shouted to the chill wind, ‘Oathbreakers, why have ye come?’

Silence, then, from far away, a reply came: ‘To fulfil our oath and have peace.’

‘That hour is nigh!’ Aragorn said and then, after looking doubtfully at Gandalf continued, ‘I shall go forth through the black Mountain and emerge from the Door of the Dead and ye shall come after me. And when our toil is done, I will hold the oath fulfilled, and ye shall have peace and depart for ever. For I am Elessar, Isildur’s heir of Gondor.’

And with that, he bade Mithrandir unfurl the great standard which had been brought with them; and behold! it was black, and if there was any device upon it, it was shrouded in the darkness. Then the party moved north, and they did not rest until they emerged in Dunharrow where all was quiet and unsettlingly empty; but they slept little, because of the dread of the Shadows that hedged them round.

Yet when at last dawn came, the Company was hastily awoken by Aragorn and at once led on the journey of the greatest haste and weariness that any among them had known, save him alone. No other mortal Man could have endured it, and with him Gimli the Dwarf, Legolas of the Elves and Mithrandir of the Istari. They emerged from Harrowdale and came to the ruins of Edoras but then there was no sunlight for the blackness had consumed Middle-earth and so the four figures passed on into the darkness of the Storm of Isengard and were lost to mortal sight; but the Dead followed them.

Chapter IV: The Ride of the Haradrim
    The Ride of the Haradrim

It was before sunrise that the armies of Harad drew up into formation to the eastern flank of the enemy.

The King of Harad looked grimly out across the assembled army. Too few, and the Mûmakil had yet to arrive, the army had proceeded on ahead without the beasts in case the defenders were running out of luck. Undoubtedly those beasts were required if only to half the forces remaining. One hundred and seventy thousand against nine hundred and two thousand, impossible odds.

He turned to his Captains, ‘Salah, lead the infantry down the middle; Hashim, take your riders and strike the northern flank. I, I shall take my men down the southern side, in an attempt to reach the city and pull their forces away from the citadel.’ He spurred his steed away then turned on the brink of the hill, ‘Go forth men, and let them know the wrath of Harad.’

The thunder of hooves began, a terrifying sound mixed with a cacophony of cries and commands. They galloped with the wind, lances and spears low and hurtling towards the foe. Bowstrings sang as arrows whipped through the air and stabbed deep into the foul flesh of the Uruks. The recurved bows of the horsearchers were then swiftly replaced with long spears, now the distance was lessening, the impact approached. Dust was coughed up and thick in the air, the steeds further behind could do little but ride as the same speed and hope they would not collide. The Uruk-Hai retaliated, sending clouds of bolts descending upon the incoming cavalry, they cut down many yet the remaining thousands were unperturbed and the clash came at last with a tumult of noise and agony.

The spears cut down, stabbing deep and casting their victims high, shields shattered and spears splintered, hooves smashed Uruks to the ground where they were trampled, scimitars arced up and with them rose spatters of scarlet, steel flashed glorious silver and the blood sparkled like terrible rubies in the rising sunlight. For lo! The darkness was passing, a new day dawning, brighter than it seemed possible and fairest Anor cast its rays upon the bloody fields.

In the midst of the two charges, the infantry of Harad were proceeding towards the foe. The Uruk-Hai that were not caught up in the bloodshed were growing increasingly impetuous and then, overcome with bloodlust, they charged. The Haradrim infantry halted immediately but the archers in their ranks ran forwards and their bowstrings twanged as a barrage of deadly arrows descended upon the foe. The Uruk-Hai raised their shields, but those too slow fell to the barbed points and hindered the charge of those behind. It was most likely because of this that the creatures pulled to a halt and at this moment the infantry of Harad broke into a run, surging towards the forces of Isengard and, as a second volley slammed down, deep into flesh, the impact came. A cacophony of clashing steel, of savage stabs and ear-splitting screams. It was the sort of battle that, had it not been succeeded by dark days, would have been retold in romantic fashion by bards using second-hand sources.

Realistically it was beyond imagining. Your ears ached with the deafening resonance of multitudes of sounds mixed together. Your lips dried, as all the fluids in your body turned to sweat, so thick it resembled a second layer of armour. In your mouth, there was the taste of blood, not yours but that of an arterial spurt of Uruk fluid, or perhaps a slash across your flesh and you bite your lip to taste a weaker pain. Your every step falls upon a bloody grave; the body is not stabbed perfectly such that the fluid leaks neatly out his back, out of sight. No this corpse has had its head hacked from its shoulders and all the blood leaks out, your face reflected in the terrible liquid; or another is lacking limbs, some still attached by only a thin fibre of flesh; the one nearby is not a corpse, it still writhes and screams, its hands clasp its abdomen which has spilled out across the floor. Knowing this, would the bard speak of such a battle?

On the flanks, the cavalry were retreating, not due to fear or losses, but tactically. They swiftly rode away then curved round to face the Legions of Darkness where they drew into formation. A few inspirational words then the King spurred his steed forwards and his mighty host followed him.

At the northern flank, General Hashim had done the same, and now he was lost in the exhilaration, the surge of adrenaline. He lowered his lance, keeping it steady and balanced; the line of infantry was speeding towards him, a mass of dark grey hungry flesh. Focus, he told himself, and then he felt his lance jerk as it caught an Uruk in its chest, hurling it to the heavens. The impact caused his weapon to fall from his grasp, but this was little hindrance. He drew his blade in a wide arc such that it flashed silver in the sunlight, and then brought it down such that it shone scarlet. An Uruk’s head jerked back from the impact of steel and flesh, a deadly line of broken armour and ripped skin clear across its skull. Hashim brought his blade around, striking at the beast to his left and cleaving its arm from its socket. Suddenly a bolt caught his steed in its flank and he was hurled from the saddle, the beast fleeing and the Uruks surrounding him. He blocked one incoming blow with his blade and pushed himself up with his free hand. The creature snarled and as Hashim raised himself from the ground, he took a dagger from his belt and plunged it into the creature, then removed it and felt a swift flow of darkness wash over his hand; he grimaced and wiped the blood as he taunted the next advancing creature. He whipped around, the corner of his eye spying a backstabbing Uruk; he parried its blade then felt a cold jolt on his spine, a sharp bolt of pain attacking his nerves. He gasped for he was so surprised, fell to his knees and felt the icy blade be withdrawn from his flesh, he screamed now, the pain overwhelming his body and weakness overcoming him. Blood fled from his body faster than a horse could run, his vision faded, then it faded ultimately as an Uruk sword swung through his throat and with a spurt of blood his head dropped aside, eyes staring, feeling nothing. His mind was black, the last feeling of pain was all his brain processed before it ultimately shut down, then it was raining, then it was clear, then it was fields of grass and perfect sapphire seas and a cool breeze. It was over.

The infantry of Harad of Harad were scattering, the horsemen too were routing. The might of Harad had decimated Isengard’s army, but just under half their force remained nonetheless. It was a spectacular feat, yet only the Mûmakil could complete the victory and where were they? The end was close now, soon it truly would be over.

Chapter V: Minas Curunír
    Minas Curunír

I looked out across the Pelennor Fields and was impressed, this was our world, and it was magnificent.

A world of metal and wheels, cogs turning and lives coming into being. Black pits illuminated by spectacular flames, ashen ground as dark as jet. The walls were reinforced, black steel to emphasise the ownership of the settlement. This was the Tower of Guard, Capital of the Empire of the White Hand, “Minas Curunír” as Sharkû now wished it named.. I was not a soldier of Isengard, but of Curunír. He no longer appreciated “Sharkû” and I wondered if he had finally uncovered its meaning. He was certainly growing wiser, not so full of himself, and he was looking deeper into the Dark Arts of Sauron and Melkor. Rumour stated that he had uncovered a hiding place of dragons, and that when Gondor fell he would dispatch an expedition in an attempt to enlist them. Though then again, gossip also said that he had found the secret to raising Balrogs, which, without a being to torture and mutate in the first place, was impossible.

‘Usrekí.’

‘It’s Commander, scum!’ I retorted.

‘Commander, scouts have sighted four figures approaching in a great mist.’

I walked to the edge of the jut of the seventh level and looked down. From here, I could see them, or at least the cloud that hung over them, a cloud of doubt and repression, a mist of foreboding. It was like staring into the night and not knowing what was lying beyond.

As I watched the mist that surrounded them moved swiftly across the Rammas Echor, I saw the defenders jump in fear from the battlements and I panicked as I considered what could cause them to act so. I heard dim horns blowing from the distance, they washed over the pits like a wave of death, but the only deaths that occurred were when an Uruk fell a great height from a wall or gangway. The fear was spreading to me, it was the lack of understanding, the knowledge that I was facing something that not even my indomitable might could destroy. Then I heard a horn, the same as the multitudes blowing outside Minas Curunír, only this one was just behind me. I turned in time to see the message bringer take a leap of ill-rewarded faith from the jut, he plummeted far and landed with a thump far below. I stood firm before the apparition. It was pale grey, or was that the stonework visible behind it; I could make out armour and a beard, a skeletal figure and thin skin. The blood surged about my body, faster than cavalry charge, sweat drenched my body and I knew I could not stand any longer. It drew its blade and I laughed faintly, ‘think it’ll still bite?’

It charged towards me and I felt it wash through my body as if a sudden gust of wind had struck me, and I remember no more until...

‘...now the words of the Heir of Isildur! Your oath is fulfilled. Go back and trouble not the valleys ever again! Depart and be at rest!’

Then vision returned and I saw the King of the Ghosts dissipate and a tall cloaked figure with a tall staff, one of the four I had seen before, walked towards the throne room. I raised myself slowly, picked up my blade and hurled it, the weapon spun and when I raised myself again after retrieving a second sword I saw it strike the tall man’s back. He fell forward and I advanced with food on the mind but revenge foremost.

Saruman turned as he head the doors clang shut; beside him, Wormtongue scurried away.

‘Gandalf, come to see our true and full potential?’

‘Only to see it crumble as your army has.’

‘Here maybe, but Dol Amroth has fallen,’ and raising the Palantír he added, ‘I have seen it.’

‘The world of men will recover after you lie slain, it always does.’

‘Slain? Gandalf you overestimate your powers. Mine are now beyond anything you can contemplate.’

‘You think you have all the power? Where did it all go, all the light that was in your heart? To me,’ and lo! casting aside his cloak, Gandalf revealed the shining light beneath yet Saruman did not baulk, he laughed, a cold cackle that was not becoming to him.

‘I am not intimidated by what is new and powerful to you, yet is old and mundane to I. However I will give you this: One chance to join me. You and I were good friends once, we understood each other, together we will rule Middle-earth.’

‘Too much time have you spent in your books, Saruman the wise! Do you think anything has changed since the last time you and I shared conversation, if that is what you would call my imprisonment.’

‘Fool you always were, Gandalf, I wonder if your mind has become befuddled by the Halfling’s leaf.’

Adjusting the grip on his staff, Gandalf retorted, ‘You would know, I hear that you have imported much of it to your personal stores.’

A smile crossed Saruman’s face, then he cast his staff forwards and the Clash of the Istari was begun.

Chapter VI: The Clash of the Istari
    The Clash of the Istari

As Curunír cast forth his staff, Olórin moved to a defensive stance and all the power from his foe was lost.

Curunír snarled and struck again and this time hurled the opposing Istar back, from the ground, Olórin retaliated, thrusting his staff forwards and throwing Curunír against the King’s throne.

The fallen wizard snarled, ‘Is that all you have Gandalf?’ and that said, he hurled his staff at his opponent like a man would cast a javelin but never released it from his grasp such that a bolt of bright light hurtled towards Olórin who dodged it with a spurt of hidden agility. Though not fast enough for a line of scorched fabric was visible on his cloak. Undaunted, Olórin retaliated by aiming his staff at his foe and drawing it swiftly back causing the wizard to be thrown across the length of the hall such that he smashed into the wall above the great door and fell to the floor.

Approaching his old friend, Olórin begged, ‘Yield Saruman, you cannot prevail.’

‘Yield? Your wisdom is failing, Gandalf the White, you think you can topple me?’ and he thrust his staff forwards and a ball of flame engulfed Olórin and raged about him.

Curunír moved to the doors and parted them, letting the light pour in, he turned to see the flames subside and reveal Olórin, barely changed save for more burn marks on his robes and face.

‘You know not the power of Saruman,’ Curunír gloated.

‘I know it has come to its end,’ Olórin retorted and there was a blinding flash as Curunír was cast backwards into the fountain...

Chapter VII: The Might of Usrekí
    The Might of Usrekí

The Living-Flesh fell from my blade and I grunted in satisfaction.

However my contentment was short-lived for he rose and it appeared that the blade had struck the quiver of arrows on his back. He removed the weapon and swung it at me but I caught it with my spare hand. Bellowing his foreign tongued warcry, the Stunted-Flesh charged at me, bringing his axe down but I darted aside, swinging my blade around into his flank. Angrily, Pointy-Ears rushed towards me, out of arrows he had resorted to duel blades and so mine met his before I ploughed my foot into his abdomen, Pointy-Ears grunted and staggered back and the Living-Flesh charged towards me, swinging his blade downwards. I parried it and pushed it away from my torso, moving my second blade round and striking his flank, he withdrew, blood surging from the wound.

I turned, just in time to deflect the blow of the Stunted-Flesh’s axe, and so I withdrew to the edge of the level where naught could attack from behind. The Stunted-Flesh pursued as Pointy-Ears picked up a fallen arrow, I roared at them but they did not quail so I ran my tongue down my bloody blade.

‘Why don’t ya taste some proper dwarven steel you ugly-’ he never finished the sentence for I dodged him and cast my foot in his path and he stumbled, falling forwards and over the edge.

‘Gimli!’ roared the Living-Flesh who charged towards me. I met him halfway, striking his blade with one of mine so hard that we both lost our grips on the blades, where he retained his grasp on his, my blade fell from my hand.

‘Nobody panic!’ came the Stunted-Flesh’s voice and I snarled that he had managed to catch the edge.

Now I gripped my single remaining blade with both clenched fists and I attacked the Living-Flesh with all my strength, pushing him back using the unconquerable might of the Uruk-Hai. But then he stepped back an extra pace and used the move to return his attack with greater strength. I withdrew a few paces and felt a sudden jolt of pain as an arrow struck my breast. But no Uruk dies so easy and I ploughed forwards, knocking the Living-Flesh off his feet. Then more pain struck me, the pain of an axe striking me hard in the back and it surged through my spine and my body jerked and fell forwards, the agony intensifying with every breath. Then I felt another sting, right in the back of my neck and it kept cutting throu-

Chapter VIII: The Charge of the Mûmakil
    The Charge of the Mûmakil

The Legions of Uruk-Hai had not yet made the final advance upon the citadel, for a new foe had arrived.

Halash, Commander of the Mûmakil drew his forces up onto the eastern flank of the Uruk-Hai and grimaced. Surely this was suicide, but every Uruk dead was one less to march on his homeland, and he reckoned his hundreds could slay the majority of their force. He raised his spear, such that it was visible to all; then swung it down, the signal to advance.

So began the Charge of the Mûmakil, one of the most famed tales of the Dagor Curunír. Each Mûmak was armoured around their weakest points, thick padded leather covered their bellies and legs, developed to ensure there was little lack of agility and the straps that held the towers upon their backs had been replaced with strong chains. There was chainmail hanging down to protect their flanks, as light as a winter fleece to a Mûmak, and think plates of armour protected their skulls. A long chain adorned with many spikes stretched out taught between each tusk, which would prove fatal to any that stood in its way. As they picked up speed, their heads lowered such that the largest spikes on the chains scratched the bloody battlefield, the Uruk’s braced, fear overwhelming them, but just think of the amount of flesh on each of those impressive animals. They stood firm.

The Mûmakil were stampeding swiftly towards their foe, clouds of dark projectiles descending upon the Uruks and Mûmakil alike. The Mûmakil were unperturbed, smashing through the front ranks not unlike a tidal wave. The chains cut down all in their path and the beasts obediently did not raise their heads. A stream of corpses was forming behind each towering beast, a bloody wake. Though many crossbow bolts fell upon the mighty Mûmakil they did not falter, persistently pushing forwards.

To the south the animals curved inwards, drawing them away from the coast and the citadel. They came upon the section of the camp that was used to forge the siege equipment and the Mûmakil ploughed through it. One surviving Olog-Hai stood defiant, moving aside as a Mûmak approached it and swinging its club into its head. The Mûmak gave a pitiful wail, like a long drawn out blast upon a trumpet, then it swerved aside and into the path of another. The other beast curved towards the beast such that they moved past each other, then it smashed its tusks into the troll, casting it to the skies.

The Uruk-Hai that managed to evade the mighty beasts’ tusks began striking at the Mûmakil’s feet, but the beasts felt little pain for their armour was thick and so they ploughed forwards unperturbed. An Uruk Crossbowman sent a bolt flying into the eye of one beast and it reared and fell aside, never to rise again; the surviving Haradrim were then swiftly overcome by the vengeful Uruks.

To the north, the survivors of Harad watched, knowing that they could not standby. The King spurred his steed forwards, charging towards the fray and his followers pursued despite the warning in their hearts. Theirs was a small number, a few thousand horsemen and even fewer infantry, but the Uruks saw them coming and so distracted were they that they had no time to estimate the size of their force and so feared that even more, greater reinforcements had arrived.

Then suddenly the Uruks froze as if some wizardry had turned them to stone. Already the rays of fairest Anor were cast upon the battlefield but the orb of light itself was not in sight, as it sheltered behind a towering peak. Yet as this battle raged, the sun ascended and was in the Uruk’s eyes. Lo! the shadow was gone all together and there was light throughout the Arda save for in the dark pits of the terrible lands of Curunír. The Uruks, blinded by Anor’s light and shaken by some unexplainable but terrible feeling in their hearts, turned and fled for they could not fight in such conditions, yet flee they could not, for so many of the beasts crowded the plains. A massacre ensued for once a creature loses the will to fight it will not readily strike again. The creatures were lost in the madness and chaos around them and so did not see death smash upon them.

The Uruks routed south where the foe was fewest or by slipping past the giants of the South; the remaining cavalry, now in their hundreds, curved round and overran the routing foe. At Dol Amroth the cheers were sounding, another sally was made but the Uruk-Hai were already on the run.

The Siege of Dol Amroth was lifted and the Legions of Isengard, decimated, were in full retreat, they weren’t going to Minas Curunír though, their hearts told them their might Commander was lost.

Chapter IX: Sméagol's Legacy
    Sméagol's Legacy

Curunír rose from the fountain, dripping wet and vengeful.

‘Stay away from him,’ Olórin warned the Elf, Dwarf and Man, ‘you cannot fight him.’

‘The ragged ranger, who shall never be King,’ Curunír said and he turned, his staff moving to strike the Dúnedain.
    Suddenly he flew back as Olórin resumed the struggle of titans. Curunír landed awkwardly but pushed his staff forwards and sent another jet of flame towards his foe. It wrapped around Olórin but lo! he was unharmed for a shield had warped around him. The fallen Istar cast his staff forth again and Olórin was cast to the floor, and with a flick of Curunír’s wrist he was spinning round and round.

‘Now Gandalf, now you experience my true power. Did you think you could strike me down, no Gandalf, and even if you succeeded in your endeavour then you would be accursed.’

Then Curunír stopped for something had distracted him and from the corner of his eye the voice came, a quiet whisper, an angry comment that should have only been a voice in the creature’s head: ‘Precious is lost!’

In this moment Olórin, released from the spell, seized his staff and thrust it towards his opponent with far more strength than intended. Curunír was caught off guard and hurled backwards, his grip on his staff lost, he could do naught but claw at air. Then momentum ended and he dropped but there was nothing below him for thousands of feet and he plummeted to his doom.
    Last edited by Inarus; August 25, 2010 at 06:25 PM.

Default Book IV: A Red Sun Rises

Here follows the fourth Book of Parallel: Empire of the White Hand detailing the aftermath of the Dagor Curunír and the fates that befell the survivors...

Book IV: A Red Sun Rises

Chapter I: The Wake of Curunír
    The Wake of Curunír

When eyes first fell upon the body of Saruman, they despaired for it was terrible to behold.

A great mist rose slowly above it like smoke from a fire, as a pale shrouded figure it loomed over Minas Tirith. For a moment, it wavered, looking dolefully to the West; but out of the West came a cold wind, and it bent away, and with a sigh dissolved into nothing. The corpse itself withered as if the moisture was being drained from it until it was naught but a skeleton swathed in robes of no colour.

Gandalf ordered it be removed from the city and be buried in an unmarked grave. He oversaw this for he felt pity for his old friend. The people of Minas Tirith departed from Dol Amroth much quicker than were advised but they wanted to return home nonetheless. The countless corpses of the Dagor Curunír were burnt and it was said that the returning ships could still see the flames as they neared the Gulf on Umbar.
    When riders returned from scouting the road to Isengard they reported that every settlement to the pinnacle of Orthanc had been burned and that caverns dotted the plains between the Hornburg and Nan Curunír, Fangorn had been eradicated though in later years trees returned to the felled forest, trees that had escaped Saruman’s mind of metal and wheels. Edoras too had been razed and it was a year until the people of Rohan felt it was time to return.

Of all the major events surrounding the Fellowship, very few differed, and they are summarised in the following chapter. The one difference was that Samwise Gamgee, upon seeing the ruin of Minas Tirith, felt that he should do something to inspire the people who had suffered so greatly. Therefore, he took the contents of the box gifted to him by Galadriel and spread it across the city, all of it save for the silver nut which he reserved for the untroubled Shire.

Chapter II: Of the End of the Third Age and the Age Beyond
    Of the End of the Third Age and the Age Beyond

It was a spectacular day when at last Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir of Isildur, was crowned King.

And that spectacular day differed little from the one which another, similar, tale describes. The hobbits received great honour for enduring so much with no complaint, Gandalf too became a figure of such renown that even the Shire heard that the wizard famed for his fireworks had done legendary deeds abroad.

Arwen and Aragorn were wed too, and it was a wedding unlike any other for it surpassed them all in grandness. The Fellowship splintered at last, but they met up once more when Minas Tirith was put to rights. A month after that gathering, Frodo, Gandalf, Bilbo and some notable others (whose names are accounted in aforementioned differing tales) departed from the Grey Havens, across the Sundering Seas.

Of the other Ringbearer, no tale tells. Some say Sméagol endured the curse of Saruman because he had directly contributed to the Istar’s death, they suggest that he fell from the rock face that he had been climbing at that moment, and that his body had been burnt with those of Usrekí and the many other nameless Uruks. Others say lived for many years more, eating fish undisturbed at the pool of Henneth Annûn. In truth no tale tells, nor does any tell of Wormtongue who never appeared after Saruman met his fate.

There were never any wars in the South, a pact of peace was signed. However in regards to the East, one final note must be made of Boromir, who, several long years after the end of the Third Age, led the armies of Gondor, Erebor, and Dale against those of Rhûn and won many extraordinary victories and won even greater fame in Middle-earth.

The End
    Last edited by Inarus; October 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Default Completion Notes:

Completion Notes [Spoilers]

Completed: 26/08/2010. 01:57am GMT

Author: Inarus (AADG)

Satisfaction Level: 9/10

Author's Note:
    I originally intended for Isengard to keep conquoring but then thought, why the inevitable? So I gave Gondor an impossible battle and apparently too few reinforcements; I lied to you, my loyal readers, at every angle in that I told you Isengard was going to win. If at times you don't believe Usrekí, I don't blame you, he certainly exaggerated a lot.

A "deleted scene", something I was never able to put in, just a piece of trivia:
    Quote Originally Posted by my notes that accompanied this tale in the Word Document
    Boromir states he will rally the people, Legolas say it should be Aragorn as heir, Aragorn intervene: Boromir is a far greater standard to the people than an alien Dúnedain from distant lands.
    I must say I like the thought that in the true Books, Sméagol and so Sauron died because Sméagol was not paying attention, same goes for Saruman, who was distracted. Oh devious distractions... As for the fate of Sméagol, who knows, but I certainly prefer the idea that he is eating fish in the Forbidden Pool without anyone knowing. You may choose Sméagol's fate in your head, I was always sympathetic towards him hence the outcome, if you want realism, he is dead with dear, decapitated Usrekí, or dream up your own fate, this is after all... a Parallel Arda...

Thank you all and please comment!
    Last edited by Inarus; October 27, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Empire of the White Hand, by Inarus - Parallel - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter III: Drúadan Forest. 100 Views, No Comments!!!

Comment for you just so you can continue. I enjoy your writing, and if no one comments, continue, people will eventually notice.

Default Re: Empire of the White Hand, by Inarus - Parallel - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter III: Drúadan Forest. 100 Views, 1 Comment!!!

I made a new post because this is an overhaul. Completely different, new, fresh, even the change of circumstance is different.

I believe you will want to know what happened to the fellowship. (Well, Gandalf was the foremost Rider, need I say more other than one Uruk did not need to find a spit upon which to toast his pre-skewered Istar. That leaves 8).

Gimli did not die bravely.

No one of the Eight died bravely.

Yup, THEY'RE ALIVE.

Boromir is back as commander of the armies of the White Tree whilst the rest are escorting Frodo to Orodruin.

P.S. How on Middle-earth do they scale the sheer Ered Lithui? Legolas shoots an arrow with a rope attached into some firm rock high up the mountainside so that they climb up the rope then skid down the other side. (Realistically they find a cave full of Spiders) (Personally, I don't care).

I am planning on reincarnating Gandalf, that he fell upon a line of pikes is not exactly the best exit for such an Istar.

Indeed I only plan on doing so for I can just see a brilliant scene reminiscant of the one in FotR where the two Istari fight with staff and magic.

New Part!

Thanks for the comment.

Notes:

I am using the Roman terms to label groups of soldiers because (I like them better) these are organised (though a bit disorderly) units that are in such great numbers that only "Legion" can apply.

The "lath" (modern term: "prod") of a crossbow is "the portion of the crossbow that is flexed back and that gives the bolt its force and motion".

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Inarus; September 05, 2010 at 07:04 AM.

Default Re: Empire of the White Hand, by Inarus - Parallel - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter V: Overlooking Gorgoroth

New Part!

I decided to focus some chapters on the fellowship, they are still an important factor in this tale so they should be mentioned. Their tale is significantly different from what you have read/seen in the RotK.

Serious question: do you think it is reasonable to have the eagles fly Frodo to Orodruin????

Default Re: Empire of the White Hand, by Inarus - Parallel - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter V: Overlooking Gorgoroth

New Part!

Don't worry, that's dramatic irony if you did not realise.

Trolls for Isengard, it just had to happen. (Could anyone link me to the post where someone made an image of an Isengard Troll, I'm sure I saw one somewhere).

Now back to Frodo.

Default Re: Empire of the White Hand, FF by Inarus - Parallel - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter VI: The Board is Set

New Part!

I hope its satisfactory, such parts are hard to write. I like the transferrence at the end, from Mordor to the distant battle.

Next Chapter: The Siege of Minas Tirith. Expect not only the catapults and towers but also the cold, merciless discarding that is necessary in the Legions of Isengard. Curious? Don't understand? Good.

This will be long but I have a lot (too much) free time.

Default Re: Empire of the White Hand, FF by Inarus - Parallel - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter VII: Across the Plateau

New Part!

I could have placed the entire siege in one chapter but this isn't a novel, I would prefer to keep things brief.

I liked the extermination of the incapacitated weaklings, shows the harsher side to the beasts that are deemed "cool" and "awesome" by you lot.

Now I need a Fellowship chapter, this will be awkward, its too soon for the Ring to be destroyed.

Default Re: Parallel: If Isengard won Helm's Deep - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter VIII: The Siege of Minas Tirith: The First Level

New Part!

I have every stage planned out, every chapter titled, only the text itself must be written.

I have one problem: of the Fellowship, who dies and who survives to face the might of Isengard?

Default Re: Parallel: If Isengard won Helm's Deep - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter X: The Siege of Minas Tirith: The Levels in Between

New Part.

Default Re: Parallel: If Isengard won Helm's Deep - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter X: The Siege of Minas Tirith: The Levels in Between

You're giving Saruman too much credit. Gandalf as the White, a Balrog-Slayer, and you have him say Saruman is STRONGER? Or are you saying the enconter with the Balrog never happened?

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Saruman and the Uruk-Hai slapped down by Mordor and Harad-after all, the book made clear that Isengard is a pale copy of Mordor, though Saruman believed it was all his own great work. His arrogance needs putting down, badly.

Trolls of Isengard....good grief. When'd Sauron give him that knowledge, and why would he when he distrusts Saruman to begin with? Sauron wouldn't mke that kind of mistake.

How'd Boromir get to Minas Tirith? Please note a book quote "If this is the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done." So why is he not with them? He's not an oath-breaker. Unless there have been meetings between the Fellowship and Denethor...

In trying to paint your picture, there are gaps where information could be, should be, but aren't. I enjoy it on the surface, but I look deeper and there are cracks. I wish you well, but hope that this stuff will make sense in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodly View Post
    You're giving Saruman too much credit. Gandalf as the White, a Balrog-Slayer, and you have him say Saruman is STRONGER? Or are you saying the enconter with the Balrog never happened?

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Saruman and the Uruk-Hai slapped down by Mordor and Harad-after all, the book made clear that Isengard is a pale copy of Mordor, though Saruman believed it was all his own great work. His arrogance needs putting down, badly.

Trolls of Isengard....good grief. When'd Sauron give him that knowledge, and why would he when he distrusts Saruman to begin with? Sauron wouldn't mke that kind of mistake.

How'd Boromir get to Minas Tirith? Please note a book quote "If this is the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done." So why is he not with them? He's not an oath-breaker. Unless there have been meetings between the Fellowship and Denethor...

In trying to paint your picture, there are gaps where information could be, should be, but aren't. I enjoy it on the surface, but I look deeper and there are cracks. I wish you well, but hope that this stuff will make sense in the end.
    Of course Saruman gains all the credit, his footsoldier is the voice!

The encounter with the Balrog did happen but Gandalf never died. Gandalf is now, in my opinion, stronger than Saruman, with all his victories Saruman is growing wiser (not wise in a good way) and stronger, a defeat could wipe away his power but a victory could make him the strongest Istar in Middle-earth (though I believe he always was).

Who said Sauron gave Saruman the knowledge? Sauron made Trolls in mockery of Ents and with Fangorn on his doorstep what would stop mighty Sharkû applying the same techniques he used to breed Uruk-Hai to Ents?

Boromir always intended to leave the Fellowship and return to Minas Tirith, thus that is what has happened. His oath was never to escort Frodo to Orodruin, only to escort him to Gondor and, if it be his path, Minas Tirith. Simply: at Rauros Boromir split from the Fellowship, he saw a greater danger and had a need to defend his people.

I am aware of other cracks.... but fortunately those you have not picked out.

You have GANDALF losing hope and saying 'we've lost'. That's big, as he was never that grim in the books. He feels like he's about to roll over. He never would.

There is no base. Though Trolls are seemingly everywhere in Middle-Earth, they're not native to the Isen region. Or are you imagining him going to the depths of the Trollshaws or the Misty Mountains or edven the far North and dragging/persuading them home?(What an image...) And how'd he get them there without being seen? Even Sauron can't make Trolls from nothing. And he certainly hasn't been experimenting on Ents-he needs the fuel too badly.

Boromir left. Legolas and Gimli, who only pledged to go as far as it took for them to break off and head to their homes(bearing in mind their homes are also under assault from Evil, almost as bad as Minas Tirith has it-Erebor and Dale came under siege around this time), have stayed to the end. You're making him look bad.

Of course, the worst part is without the Oathbreakers, the Corsairs are right now pillaging the south of Gondor and may/will link up with the Mordor Orcs.

Wonder if Faramir's still around?

Damm, the Witch-King's going to have no opposition, unless Eowyn tries to lead Rohan's survivors to fulfil the Red Arrow. And there's no way to get through since Ghamn-Buri-Ghan's gone and ther Uruks are likely watching the roads...

Please remember that Denethor was prepared to fight at any time(Man's wearing full armour all the time). He was prepared. Now is the hour, it seems. If he must go, let him go out fighting. Actually that's another thing. Denethor has a Palantir. How much has he been aware of with this whole mess?
    Last edited by Bloodly; June 28, 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodly View Post
    You have GANDALF losing hope and saying 'we've lost'. That's big, as he was never that grim in the books. He feels like he's about to roll over. He never would.

There is no base. Though Trolls are seemingly everywhere in Middle-Earth, they're not native to the Isen region. Or are you imagining him going to the depths of the Trollshaws or the Misty Mountains or edven the far North and dragging/persuading them home?(What an image...) And how'd he get them there without being seen? Even Sauron can't make Trolls from nothing. And he certainly hasn't been experimenting on Ents-he needs the fuel too badly.

Boromir left. Legolas and Gimli, who only pledged to go as far as it took for them to break off and head to their homes(bearing in mind their homes are also under assault from Evil, almost as bad as Minas Tirith has it-Erebor and Dale came under siege around this time), have stayed to the end. You're making him look bad.

Of course, the worst part is without the Oathbreakers, the Corsairs are right now pillaging the south of Gondor and may/will link up with the Mordor Orcs.

Wonder if Faramir's still around?

Damm, the Witch-King's going to have no opposition, unless Eowyn tries to lead Rohan's survivors to fulfil the Red Arrow. And there's no way to get through since Ghamn-Buri-Ghan's gone and ther Uruks are likely watching the roads...

Please remember that Denethor was prepared to fight at any time(Man's wearing full armour all the time). He was prepared. Now is the hour, it seems. If he must go, let him go out fighting. Actually that's another thing. Denethor has a Palantir. How much has he been aware of with this whole mess?
    Denethor I have planned to include (but I could not see him fighting any level below the seventh), Boromir has something important to do (which will probably look cowardly). I am not making Boromir look bad, I am simply making him take the path that he decided upon at the beginning. And if you think he does look bad wait for the next chapter , aren't you wondering why you have not seen him or his brother in Minas Tirith?

Who knows what Saruman has been doing, I have given him two months (as you will note at the beginning of the next chapter) since Helm's Deep, who knows what he could have done in that time, trolls are certainly nothing compared to what I could (but won't) unleash next.

Default Re: Parallel: If Isengard won Helm's Deep - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter XI: The Pieces are Moving ----------------------------------- Who wins: Isengard, Mordor or Gondor?

New Part.

Yes, the dialogue is bad, the writing is little better, the problem is that I am not good at drawing things out when it gets sooo close to the End.

(The End of Book I that is)

EOMER's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Parallel: If Isengard won Helm's Deep - Book I: GONDOR - Chapter XI: The Pieces are Moving ----------------------------------- Who wins: Isengard, Mordor or Gondor?

Great story man hope you continue

Default Re: Parallel: If Isengard won Helm's Deep - Book I: GONDOR - The Siege of Minas Tirith: The Pelennor fields ----------------------- Who wins: Isengard, Mordor or Gondor?

New Parts!!!

Next Part will end it all, sort of.

The Witch King ... ah, spoilers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast