Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Daimyo Models

Default Re: The Daimyo Models

Quote Originally Posted by Nack View Post
    This one looks pretty european also, at least the cuirass part.

This one's said to be Nagao Kagetora's armor, or am I wrong?
    I really love the style of this one, the colors are great.

And Nagao Kagetora is just great! Really loved to play with Uesugi in Shogun 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas1710 View Post
    This one's said to be Nagao Kagetora's armor, or am I wrong?
    I really love the style of this one, the colors are great.

And Nagao Kagetora is just great! Really loved to play with Uesugi in Shogun 1.
    Yes indeed!!!! It belongs to Nanao Kagetora (mostly known as Uesugi Kenshin )

Quote Originally Posted by KaRoU23 View Post
    looks like u know lots about the samurai age, please educate us!

Fenrisulfrinn's Avatar Civis
    I am a citizen of the world; it doesn't really matter where

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakai View Post
    I've always hated the fake hair/moustaches etc on their armor, everything else I love.
    Word.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

There is a very good armour and musket museum at Matumoto Castle in Matsumoto city, Nagano, where you can see a few good examples of what happens when you shoot at one of these yoroi.

Due to the tightly woven, laminated effect of how these armour plates overlap, you might get away with some deflection. Even that solid chestplate is vulnerable at range. In general, if someone shot a musket at you at close range...ask Takeda Katsuyori what happens. Same goes with a well shot arrow in range. The Japanee bow(yumi) is a remarkably powerful weapon.
    Last edited by MCM; June 09, 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcore knight View Post
    looks like u know lots about the samurai age, please educate us!
    Nah, there are many that know much more about this, like Lobato-san!!!

As for Uesugi Kenshin, what can be told about that great guy??? I personally like him best after Nobunaga Oda...

He was a great leader, a great tactician and he was thought of many as an avatar of the god of war Bishamonten...He was son of Nagao Tamekage, another great daimyo of the era...He was known of his long lasted rivalry with the Takeda clan, especially with Shingen Takeda.At first, they did only skirmishes against each other, till the battle of Kawanakajima, where Kenshin used a PERFECT tactic:a special formation where the soldiers in the front would switch with their comrades in the rear, as those in the frontline became tired or wounded. This allowed the tired soldiers to take a break, while the soldiers who had not seen action, would fight in the front.There is also a tale of Kenshin running nearby Shingen, slashed him with his sword, but he fended off the blows with his warfan...However, we aren't sure about the outcome of the battle, but Shingen lost 1000 men more and 2 great generals, Yamamoto Kansuke and Takeda Nobushige.

Aside his rivalry with the Takeda clan, he won many fights against the Hojo clan, and he almost reached Odawara castle... At the end of his life, he fought with Nobunaga Oda's forces, led by Shibata Katsuie and Toshiie Maeda, but despite the overwhelming army, he crushed their forces, using rain as an ally... With Ujiyasu Hojo and Shingen Takeda dead, he prepared an assault to Nobunaga's territory but he died of illness in April 1578

Quote Originally Posted by danielc View Post
    Only if you don't know your history. The Japanese government closed itself to the world because of the spread of Christianity amongst the peasants, which posed a threat to the idea of Emperor worship. To say the Japanese had fear of Spain can only lead one to . Spain would never, EVER, be able to carry out an invasion of Japan, not even the Mongols that were next door were able to do it, let alone Spain on the other side of the world.
    Cause of course the Shogun really cared first about the emperor worship among the peasants...

Yes the spanish would never be able to conquer Japan, they knew it and that's why they didn't move when the japanese christian were endangered.

But what the shogunate feared was foreign influence in the japanese society and foreign intervention and meddling in japanese internal politic.

Spain, of the western powers who had contact with japan, was by far the more prone to intervention (on behalf and with the support of the japanese christian) and the more dangerous. The japanese knew it. They had contact with the philippines and even new spain.

The dutch were allowed to remain for trading because they weren't catholics like the christians in japan and they promised to didn't try to preach.
    Last edited by Keyser; June 10, 2010 at 04:03 AM.

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Why do some of the Daimyo (and a lot of Japanese people in general, for that matter) have two or three names?
    This Uesugi Kenshin is also called Nanao Kagetora?

And why does the current Emperor of Japan have no last name?

Quote Originally Posted by ♔GrinningManiac♔ View Post
    Why do some of the Daimyo (and a lot of Japanese people in general, for that matter) have two or three names?
    This Uesugi Kenshin is also called Nanao Kagetora?

And why does the current Emperor of Japan have no last name?
    A samurai usually was named by combining one kanji from his father or grandfather and one new kanji. Many samurai had intentionally phonetically same names as a great ancestors to honor their greatness and hope this samurai would be as good.
    This name was applied after genpuku. He also had a childhood name. Most samurai had a second name and also used his title as a part of his name. Oda Nobunaga would be officially called "Oda Kouzukenosuke Owarinokami Nobunaga" and he would be referred as "Oda Kouzukenosuke" or "Oda Owarinokami".

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Ah

Much obliged

Actually, Nagao Kagetora only became Uesugi Kenshin after having it changed as an honor to his overlord (Uesugi Norimasa).

After the main Uesugi clan gets its salad tossed by the Hojo, Norimasa flees to the subservient Nagao Clan, and stays with Kagetora.
    Then, after a visit to the current Ashikaga Shogun, Norimasa allows Kagetora to change his name, and then implores he launch a campaign against the Hojo.

Yes, indeed.

But he's a cool guy nevertheless, I mean, he's a fight loving drunkard, what's not to like about him?

I guess he had several (like lots of wardlords), as this one is also displayed:
    http://www.samurai-store.com/armor/u...ki.html#artist

He probably had several armour models, pretty much like every warlords.

For example:

This one is (a reproduction of) the one being stored at Uesugi shrine, Yonezawa city, Yamagata prefecture in northern Japan.
    Last edited by irishron; July 05, 2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: off topic

Mine are different. Is that because I purchased the clan pack DLC's?

In my game all the generals including the Daimyo's look like their portraits in the battles. However, it would be nice to have some more options.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234