Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New blog on Shogun 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Default New blog on Shogun 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2010/...-total-war-qa/

Sounds very promising enjoy the read and wish CA luck!

P.S Some rep would be nice too.
    Last edited by eregost; June 08, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Default Re: New blog on Shogun 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neat. Not exactly new info, but it's only a few days til E3.
    Last edited by random_samurai; June 08, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

Irish guy's Avatar Semisalis

Took forever to load for me, if anyone else is still waiting have a read here:

Here is an exclusive interview Total War’s Lead Designer James Russell regarding the recently announced Shogun 2: Total War.
    It has been a decade since Shogun launched the Total War series. What were the reasons for returning to where it all began for Shogun 2: Total War?
    In many ways, Empire: TW represented the expansion of Total War to its greatest extent in terms of global, geopolitical scale – and that fitted the reach of the great powers of that era. What we are excited about with Shogun 2 is to taking things back to a more contained, pre-modern environment where we can really focus on characters & immersion – and in a fresh setting, away from the map of Europe. Rather than having to portray many different cultures across the world, we can delve deeply into portraying one culture in beautiful detail. The game will still be epic in scale – but in terms of story and depth rather than by encompassing much of the world in geographic scope.
    Feudal Japan is an incredibly evocative setting with so much great content for the game: bushido (the Way of the Warrior), mighty warlords leading vast samurai armies into battle; huge castles and epic sieges in unique landscapes like nothing you’ve seen in Europe.

Chronologically, where does Shogun 2: Total War fit in the timeline of the original game?
    As in Shogun: TW, the setting we have is during Japan’s Sengoku Jidai: the warring states period in the 16th century, before the Tokugawa Shogunate asserted its complete control and ended the anarchy.
    We have chosen this setting now for the same reasons we chose it a decade ago: it was a time of epic struggle between the feudal lords of rival clans across Japan. With the breakdown of central authority, there was constant warfare and any one of many clans could have ended up winning. It’s the perfect setting for a Total War game where the player can choose one of many factions all competing for the final victory in what was the most turbulent period of Japanese history.
    It was the time when a uniquely Japanese samurai culture was forged. It was also a time of great change: for example, first contact with Europeans saw the introduction of Christianity and later the first large-scale use of firearms in Japanese armies. This opens up lots of interesting gameplay choices for the player that are unique to this specific period.
    How has the Total War series progressed since the original game and what will this bring to the sequel?
    Clearly, PC technology has come on so far in the last ten years, and we can do things that were simply impossible before: the game engines for both campaign and battle have been completely revolutionised (and re-written) several times over since the original game which had sprites in battle and a 2D campaign map. Now we can portray huge samurai armies in all their glory with a new and improved battle graphics engine that looks utterly stunning. On the campaign side, we will depict the unique geography of Japan with the most beautiful map we have ever produced. We are constantly looking at ways to improve the game, and each new project gives us the opportunity to push into new territory.

The Total War team consulted with Professor Stephen Turnbull during the production of Shogun: Total War. Will you also be working with any experts in the field for Shogun 2?
    Well we’re actually working with Stephen again this time round, and he’s been involved from very early in the project. He’s been to see us in the studio (his journey down, carrying authentic pieces of samurai armour raised a few eyebrows on the train!); we are talking to him regularly about planned features and game content – he’s been a fantastic help for us: not only making sure we stay on the right path, but also giving us a lot of inspiration (watching all the Kurosawa movies helps a lot too!).
    As a studio, we have much lower staff turnover than many in the industry, and there are still a fair few people working on Total War who have been here from the very beginning, not least Mike Simpson.

Empire: Total War introduced naval warfare to the series. Is there a chance that the feature will return to make an impact on feudal Japan?
    Of course – Japan is an island nation, and the sea is never far away. One thing to emphasise is that the way naval battles were fought in Japan during this period is very different from the bigger-is-better artillery-fests of the 18th century European contests we represented in Empire. Japanese ships of the era were full of samurai swordsmen and archers, so we’re focusing a lot on boarding systems and stone-scissors-paper interplay between different ship types. Another big addition is the inclusion of land masses at sea: this provides new terrain-based tactical play as well as helping orient the player. We think we can make naval battles in Shogun feel very fresh & new – and be more fun to play than ever before.
    What other areas of the game might see major changes with Shogun 2?
    When we begin development, as a team we immerse ourselves in the period and the setting that we are trying to bring to life in the game. We develop features that reflect the battles and the military & economic dilemmas of the time (as well as making for great gameplay).
    On the campaign map this means we fold in the importance of honour, treachery, clan & family, and many other aspects of being a warlord in feudal Japan. Of course, we need a completely new set of agents and agent abilities too.
    On the battle side, special, historically accurate, hero characters can help turn the tide of battle. We’re also giving siege mechanics a complete overhaul: Japanese castles are very different from European castles, and we’re working hard to make the layouts look convincingly Japanese as well as playing well.
    We’re also planning some very exciting things for the multiplayer part of the game, so watch this space!

What do you want to achieve overall with Shogun 2: Total War?
    We really want to make Shogun 2 a thing of beauty, and the most immersive Total War game ever. We are focusing on pushing gameplay depth and polish rather than raw ‘size’ or scope: doing more with less.
    Internally, we are calling these things together (beauty, depth, polish and immersion) the Zen of Total War. We are absolutely committed to making Shogun 2 the most breathtaking Total War experience ever.
    Thank you for your time!
    Stay tuned to www.TotalWar.com for all the latest Shogun 2: Total War information, and be sure to become a fan on Facebook and Twitter.
    Best regards,
    Mark O’Connell
    The Creative Assembly

Mods I use:
    Europa Barbarorum.
    Stainless Steel.
    Third Age Total War.
    Darth Mod (S2TW)
    Radious (Attilla)

Steam Profile: Sir Killsalot

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

I hoped for more intelligent questions rather than reiterating what has already been said elsewhere, or was too obvious to even ask for confirmation.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Irish guy's Avatar Semisalis

Still it seems to me that they are actually putting some effort into this. They seem to be emphasising the cultural depth of the setting more than previous interations of TW.

Mods I use:
    Europa Barbarorum.
    Stainless Steel.
    Third Age Total War.
    Darth Mod (S2TW)
    Radious (Attilla)

Steam Profile: Sir Killsalot

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Good to see Mr.Turnbull on board, hopefully he'll push 'em to keep it as historically accurate as possible.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

This I liked most…

'a new and improved battle graphics engine that looks utterly stunning'.

Does that mean a new game engine? Cos’ I hate the warscape one.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Miura Anjin 三浦按針 View Post
    This I liked most…

This is one element I would gladly pay decent money to see
    Plus the added fact that a full out battle with interaction between more that two men seems to be impossible with the current one- resulting in only one thing: complete lack of realism.
    Last edited by Magefsx; June 08, 2010 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Good to see Mr.Turnbull on board, hopefully he'll push 'em to keep it as historically accurate as possible.

That is, if you rate him at all as a historian

Professor Turnbull quite widely crticised by some for not citing sources properly, recounting "facts" that have generally been discredited and generally being a third rate historian. The Osprey books he's done are pretty poor as well, lots of errors with the spelling of names, mismatched captions etc. I suppose its the nature of the books, which are not aimed at an academic audience. His other works are also not considered to be up to speed with current scholarship and he's even been accused of plagiarism (even from wikis on the net). in his book about the Imjin War he's also been crticised for undercoverage of the Korean and Chinese perspective, and his pro-Japanese bias.

I guess his books are good for the most of the people on this board, as an easy-read introduction to "Samurai history" with some cool pictures, and that probably fits what CA is aiming at in terms of it historical accuracy (aka The History Channel) so yeah, go on Stephen, push 'em hard...
    Last edited by Yelü Dashi; June 08, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miura Anjin 三浦按針 View Post
    This I liked most…

I think it mans a new graphics engine, like it says.

I hope they're not making ir heavier. Slap some samurai armor on the dudes and I;m sure the engine they use for N:TW looks fine.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Good read. +rep
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Tia's Avatar Primicerius

I Really hope that Shogun 2 is going to be better than ETW and NTW.
    btw 将軍総力戦!!!

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

On the battle side, special, historically accurate, hero characters can help turn the tide of battle. We’re also giving siege mechanics a complete overhaul: Japanese castles are very different from European castles, and we’re working hard to make the layouts look convincingly Japanese as well as playing well.
    Well, at least now people can shut the up about hero units.

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

Is there any need for quite so many exclamation marks?
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ward View Post
    It's quite silly, but fun to watch.

Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE

Kuhndog's Avatar Centurion

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ward View Post
    His excitement provides enough need...
    Veni, vidi, vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar

♔Mandelus♔'s Avatar Campidoctor

Well,

I have no real idea about japanese history at all, only some fragments here and there. Because being myself historian with master degree, my intrest is laying right there were ETW plays and in roman ancient history, mostly at B.C. level. As historian you have to specialize yourself at least....

However, the Osprey series is at least quite good, never read Prof. Turnbulls work to be honest, but I know other books of Osprey Men at arms series, which are in some parts also questionable.
    The named facts and points here are also again and of course put in fog. At least not much more as that what was still told!
    About the questions made, well ... if you read sometimes the interviews in games magazines, you still know that they are not good mostly. But if you saw that guys who makes the interviews at their work, well .... more stupid "hillbilly -clowns" as serious people at least!

However: I must say that some points still wonder me: Always or mostly is since NTW only one CA guy on the front and rules the marketing with interviews, statements here and there and making announcements on the official board: Mark O'Connel!

I like Mark as person very well, because he is smart, gently, serious, funny and can be really helpfull. To met him after 3 years again in Munich at a pre-release event for NTW was great. B U T:

Isn't there an other guy or better, wasn't there at NTW another guy making most of the things in the past that now Mark do? Yes! Where is Keiron Bridges?! You hear rarely since months of him anywhere....
    No speculations or rumoring ... I'm only still wondering a little bit about it.
    Last edited by ♔Mandelus♔; June 08, 2010 at 02:09 PM.

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):
    http://www.totalwar-zone.de/forum/in...39807329133e3f

Death smiles at us all, the only thing you could do is smile back!
    Mark Aurel, Roman General and Emperor

"Most beautiful battle map" eh? Sounds good I'm a sucker for artwork. And I've liked how they realized that epic scope doesn't beat polish and depth. I hope CA is really learning their lessons.
    Last edited by lemoney; June 08, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

Ooh, new naval battles sound neat.

Everything sounds neat and EVEN fantastic! get over it! let's wait until we know more.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast