Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else misses the General speeches?

Default Who else misses the General speeches?

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of General speeches in Empire especially in Napoleon since they even hired an Actor to voice Napoleon and then I found out there were no speeches.

Beggar's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Who else misses the General speeches?

Well, according to the unofficial fact thread they'll be making a comeback.
    http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...nofficial.html
    So there should be over 100 000 general speeches, but that's obviously hype

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

Good news if theyre making a comeback. Nowt better than a rocking Med 2 style generals speech slagging off the enemy before the bloodbath.

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

What they mean by that figure is all the different variables that change what a general has to say. So you can end with up 100 000 different combinations of lines. Also it would be nice to hear the enemy general's speech too.
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Perhaps a better or more influenical general could do an inspirational ride along the battle lines (like in LOTR, Theodin's ride) or bring out a prisoner and execute him if he is a dreaded general... something that would represent their unique traits better.

Evan

Beggar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by eregost View Post
    What they mean by that figure is all the different variables that change what a general has to say. So you can end with up 100 000 different combinations of lines. Also it would be nice to hear the enemy general's speech too.
    Obviously, the change could be merely a matter of a word but regardless it will be a change. 100 000 different speeches sounds better than a 100 speeches with small variations. Though 100 already would be nice, so I'm not really complaining.

....and of course in Japanese!!!!
    (maybe subtitled or also available in each language, but first of all in Japanese)

Beggar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
    ....and of course in Japanese!!!!
    (maybe subtitled or also available in each language, but first of all in Japanese)
    Damn, you're right, I've no idea about the language... Would quite nice if they were in Japanese. Immersionfactor would go up through the roof...

just like in rome.

KDK's Avatar Pro Rege Et Grege

I want the speeches!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    Perhaps a better or more influenical general could do an inspirational ride along the battle lines (like in LOTR, Theodin's ride) or bring out a prisoner and execute him if he is a dreaded general... something that would represent their unique traits better.

Evan
    Cool example with using props in speeches, that would greatly enhance the mood. I'd be very happy if they expanded on what they've done before, where you'd read your generals traits and find them to resemble their actual speeches. Was awesome. The lack of speeches was a pretty heavy blow for me trying to play campaign back in ETW, it just didn't feel as complete without them.

I'm feeling skeptical. In my experience the speeches in RTW and M2TW were three or four lines, with one additional line in case the general was insane. It would be nice if they can fill and surpass 100 in the next game.

The first Shogun had options for English and Japanese. But the English version sounded awkward to me. They could do the speeches in Japanese only, and we would see how they handle the subtitles. Japanese translated word for word gives strange results because of the structure of their language.

For example:
    In regard to the enemy, it is those there which waits for us because central we come to those in place of the assembly. I thing faces this fight which is the person whose daimyo is cowardly and sees us. There is no heavy cavalryman party in those. The troop did not win the fight which does not have the cavalryman party of 200 years. Their soldiers are the earthworm which is moved vis-a-vis the insufficient puppy and fear of thing simply. As for us [sutanpido] the whale which portable those where the wheel which is liked contributes well is. And now us and, those permit the toast of the body which is shared!

Artistic editing would be needed. Let's hope they watch their translators closely. I really don't want to see 'I'm going to open a can of whoopass' in a game like this.
    Last edited by ArmoredSergeant; June 09, 2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Clarification

GoodSmurfin's Avatar Semisalis

I do I loved them in M2TW some of them were really funny.

Elmar's Avatar Senator

I do hope that this time they allow the speeches to continue while I'm setting up the army.
    They were great and all, but I didn't exactly like being forced to sit around doing nothing as the general rattled off his lines.
    To Subaltern: Yes, every junior officer may carry a Field Marshal's baton in his knapsack, but we think you'll discard that to make room for an extra pair of socks before very long.
    Wipers Times

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

If you haven't seen it yet this article has more information on general's speeches. It appears they will be the same as Rome's so no generals walking about or executing prisoners.

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/articl...Infinite-Loop/
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by eregost View Post
    If you haven't seen it yet this article has more information on general's speeches. It appears they will be the same as Rome's so no generals walking about or executing prisoners.

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/articl...Infinite-Loop/
    Hmm sounds interesting, I always loved the general's speeches

Well I don´t pay much attention to the RTW speeches. Don´t miss them cause they add not much to the game.
    Hearing the same sentences over and over again is not very appealing.

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

I hope they keep a few ridiculous lines like the ones some generals had in Medieval 2 (like that guy afraid of snakes, or that other guy talking about :wub:s and arseweasels).

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

I hope they make speeches more specific this time.

*silence*

I'll get my coat.
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast