Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun II for Mac?

Default Shogun II for Mac?

As some people may, or may not know, Valve released a Mac version of Steam a few weeks back. Already there are plans for many games to be cross-platform. Civilization V is a good example of this - you buy it once, and you can install it on mac or windows, and Multiplayer will work for anyone who owns the game, regardless of platform.

What do you think the chances are that CA will release the game for both Windows and Mac, like what is being done with Civ V?
    Personally, i think its unlikely, but since my computer is a mac, i'm keeping my fingers crossed, if not for Shogun II, then hopefully for the next title.

Edit: Seeing as i wrote this post at 4 in the morning, it actually sliped my mind - Rome, Barbarian Invasion and Alexander were all released for Mac, and they all play quite well too.
    It took the company a fairly long time to translate the code, but i believe it would be easier and faster to do if they did it while writing it in the first place.
    Last edited by Bryanrows; June 08, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You just lost the game. But you also won the contest.

Default Re: Shogun II for Mac?

I wouldn't count on it.

If you're interested in gaming, why would you have a mac?

Hopefully without sparking a huge "mac vs pc" in here, i just like OSX better than windows.
    I have windows installed on a partition in my hard drive so i can still play games, and since i'm not a super hardcore gamer, it runs most games fine and without any problems.
    the only real drawback is that since i have to restart to boot into windows, i do can't things like listen to my music library while in game, or minimize and do something else for a while.
    Basically it would just be nice to have everything in one place, for convenience sake.

Magestryn's Avatar Decanus

I think it would be a good thing.. after all windows does run better on Macs

Oh yeah, I'd totally think it's cool if they made it mac compatible, but most mac games on steam are either old or indie, it's probably not going to happen for such a new title.

But then again, I don't understand why people that want to do more than one thing, or more than just the basics with their pc, chooses to buy a mac. Sure they usually look cool, and some of them have decent specs. But they're so expensive compared to similar PC's, they're so userunfriendly, since you're so limited in your upgrading choices, just about games don't run on a mac, and PC - MAC interchangability is horrible, just trading some files with a USBdrive can give you quite a hassle.

But yeah, I'm obviously not a big Mac lover.

But back on topic, no, I don;t think there'll be other versions of S2, other than a Windows one.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Magestryn View Post
    I think it would be a good thing.. after all windows does run better on Macs
    YOu are commenting on the hardware here which is nothing to do with what microsoft produces. There are certainly much better computers that Macs out there.

Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanrows View Post
    What do you think the chances are that CA will release the game for both Windows and Mac, like what is being done with Civ V?
    None.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

I don't think any of the Total War games were ever optimised for the Mac as well, so I doubt that CA would consider it with Shogun II.
    Last edited by Antissa; June 08, 2010 at 10:35 AM.

I play MTWII and RTW on my mac sometimes.. But its best for the PC, if you want, get bootcamp

Quote Originally Posted by Prisca View Post
    I don't think any of the Total War games were ever optimised for the Mac as well, so I doubt that CA would consider it with Shogun II.
    actually, Rome, Barbarian Invasion and Alexander were all released for Macs.
    I've played them, and they actually run quite well.

as for price, I got my imac with discounts for this, that and the other, and it turns out its actually cheaper than some gaming pc's that people buy to play total war games

but anyway, i'm not trying to dispute the merits of mac vs windows, i'm just saying it would be great if it was released for both, as they could reach a wider audience and increase sales.

Depends on whether the game's rendering engine is coded to use OpenGL or DirectX. If the game is coded to use OpenGL there's a half decent chance that it is sufficiently portable for it to be released as Mac version (without the work of middlemen like Feral).

But chances are that they coded the thing against Direct X if only because their previous titles were written for Direct X (makes it more easy to transfer old knowledge/code to the new library version). As you will probably know: Direct X means no Mac version without porting the source.

My advice is simply to get bootcamp and a copy of windows (whichever version you prefer for gaming purposes). Then you can play any windows game you want, as opposed to being forced to wait for specific games that get released for macs. Considering that Leopard and Snow Leopard come with bootcamp already installed, it's really not that big of an investment to pick up Windows 7 Home Premium or something.

As someone who has played mac versions of games and the original windows versions of the same game on the same hardware (a macbook pro) I can assure you that, in general (but not always), the windows versions run a bit smoother than the mac ports. This isn't necessarily true with games that are optimized for both mac and windows from the beginning, though. Warcraft III seems about the same to me in both OS's, but that might be because the game is quite old now and its system requirements aren't very demanding.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; June 08, 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Boot camp is actually what I'm doing now
    I mentioned in the OP that its really more that i hate having to switch between the two OS's to play the game.
    I have no major complaints, but it would still be nice if there were a mac version released

Well, the fact that Macs can already play games by installing Windows for Mac makes it not worth a company to recode their games to play on the Mac OS unless it is a game that appeals to very casual gamers (such as Civ., Sims, and others). I now a lot of casual gamers with both systems and for some reason TW games just don't float their boat. Most of them with Macs have no desire to play other games that aren't available to them. I just don't thing the market boost is sufficient to make it worth while to them (now mod tools would get more bang for the proverbial buck).

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanrows View Post
    None.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

I would have to say no chance.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

probably not now for mac but a little later I guess?

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Apparently they are not making a new game engine for this game but an upgraded ETW/NTW one so probably no on mac for this next title.

Evan

Emperor BLUBBS VII's Avatar Decanus

NO... make is crap, and the PC has to out sell it.
    Advance to Contact. Duffer Mod.

Shiloh's Avatar Senator

Well considering it took 5+ years to get Rome on a Mac I wouldn't count on a new release getting converted anytime soon.
    www.totalgettysburg.com
    Take an in-depth look at the Battle of Gettysburg in the American Civil War. This site is dedicated to education and the conservation of Civil War battlefields.

www.youtube.com/twbattles
    View Total War battle commentary videos on an epic scale.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast