Thread: Submod- Changing Recruitment Times

Default Submod- Changing Recruitment Times

This is an adjustment to the recruitment times of various units. It allows cheaper, low-standard units to be recruited in 0 turns, whilst also increasing the recruitment times for some better-quality troops.

Bog-standard units (ie levy, militia, some skirmishers etc) have 0-turn recruitment times.
    Medium standard troops (eg: hastati) have 1-turn recruitment times.
    All cavalry have at least 2-turns recruitment times, as do many heavier infantry, light artillery and elite skirmishers.
    Very powerful infantry (with the exception of Spartan royal guard), as well as the more powerful cavalry and heavier artillery all have 3-turns recruitment times.
    Generals and elephants have 4-turn recruitment times.
    Spartan royal guard keep their 30-turn recruitment time

HOW TO USE:
    Make sure you have Extended Cultures 3.35 installed. It can be found here. I am using the senate version but I'm not sure if that will have an effect.
    Save the "export_descr_unit.txt" file below in your extended cultures data folder (Rome Total War\xc\Data). I advise you to back up the file currently in there first, but I have provided a backup file below just in case.
    It is save game compatible, and the recruitment times will change in your current games.
    NOTE: DO NOT USE THE FILE BENEATH THIS POST AS THERE IS A MISTAKE. USE THE FILE IN POST #4 OF THIS THREAD INSTEAD.

This mod might not be for everyone. That's okay. I made it primarily for myself one evening. I am open to criticism and welcome feedback, positive or otherwise.

Some effects noticed on the campaign:
    Scythia tends to struggle a bit more than usual in most of the tests I've done. Not by much, but it might help stem the tide of the "Orange Riders of Doom" and stop them becoming as much of a monster as they often are. This is probably because they can't pump out armies so quickly any more, due to the fact that all cavalry now take at least 2 turns to recruit.
    Gaul seem to fare better against the Celts than they usually do-the situation seems to end up as a perpetual stalemate between them until other factions start to interfere.
    Spain seems to do rather well, usually conquering the entire Iberian peninsular except Carthage's settlements in only a few years. I'm not sure if this is common on the regular campaign, but I notice it here at any rate.
    In the late game, the AI sometimes recruit large armies of militia upon being invaded. This might be seen as a sort of representation of an organised resistance if you like

Thanks.
    Last edited by nasher168; June 08, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Submod- Changing Recruitment Times

Interesting mod, on which version did you base it on?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Good point. I knew there would be a few things I forgot-and that's clearly one of them.
    It's for version 3.35 as downloaded from this link.
    I'll put that in my original post.
    EDIT: put the wrong version. My bad. Fixed now.
    Last edited by nasher168; June 08, 2010 at 07:53 AM.

Apologies for the double post. I don't appear able to do stuff with attachments through the edit function...

Anyway, I realised that the Scythians in the provincial campaign had kept their old recruitment times so I've changed them to fit the Scythians on the regular campaign.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

That is a pretty old version, 4 gamma v2 or v3 are the latest "official" versions while the test ones change pretty often
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

True. I think I installed it quite some time ago. I might just get the latest version...

Apologies again for the double post.
    The version attached to this post is for the "Version 4 Gamma v2".

A question: how does population fare with militias set to zero turn recruitment? Are there a lot of <1000 pop settlements around?

A good point, and one I hadn't properly considered before.
    When I look over old save games I can sort of see a trail of destruction left by my later invasion routes... It's not universal to all towns in invaded regions, as the units do still cost the AI money and so limit it at least a little bit. I can't tell if it's a result of enslavement/extermination or instant recruitment. Certainly something to take into consideration.
    It's entirely possible that there are other overlooked effects on campaign gameplay that I hadn't noticed before.