Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for new buildings for TAR 2.x

flannk's Avatar Civis

Default Ideas for new buildings for TAR 2.x

Since Toon and Geronimo came up with excellent work on the possibility of new buildings for TAR, it was decided to put up a special thread for this topic. Everyone is invited to come up with ideas for special buildings that not all factions currently have.

The idea created by Geronimo was to put in two extra buildings: the Military Academy at Westpoint and the U.S. Naval Academy, see http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=315049&page=7

Other ideas involve the creation of the Executive Mansion which would later become the Whitehouse and the Springfield Armory appointed in 1777 by George Washington himself.

What other buildings, not only for the US, can you think of?

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Ideas for new buildings for TAR 2.x

hmm....

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

I am still looking into it. Here is the problem. You can only have a Prestige building in the Capital region. There is a military/naval/culture/government building slot. One thing I do not yet know is whether it is possible to have a Prestige-Building on the same slot as another Prestige-Building but higher up the building-tree. That is something I am looking into but I doubt it. Another problem is that two of the slots (Government and Culture) are already occupied in the default CA files by Independence Hall and the Smithsonian. Would love to be able to add buildings like the old Supreme Court or White House but since the Govt-slot is occupied in the original game, I don't know if I'll be able. If I was able to, it would probably have to replace another Prestige building in the same type (i.e. govt/army/naval/culture) chain on the campaign-map.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 07, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

flannk's Avatar Civis

So there's one possibility for a military building? Because there are two military buildings in each capital (barrack and armory).

Quote Originally Posted by flannk View Post
    So there's one possibility for a military building? Because there are two military buildings in each capital (barrack and armory).
    I think so yes. I will give it a try. Since you mention other factions, I will look at filling their vacant Prestige-slots too.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 08, 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

flannk's Avatar Civis

Don't know of any of these buildings are already included, but they should be!

UK
    Military:
    Tower of London

Was home to the Master of Ordnance and the Ordnance Officer from 1414 (later the Board of Ordnance) who were responsible for providing weapons to both the Army and Navy. The Tower was engaged in the development, manufacture and storage of a wide variety of weaponry until 1855.

Naval:
    The Admiralty

Three-story U-shaped building built in 1726, serving as HQ for the Royal Navy until late in the 18th century.

Culture:
    Royal Academy of Arts in Old Somerset House

Royal Academy of Arts in New Somerset House

Royal Academy of Arts, located in Somerset House (1771) or New Somerset House (1780) where it stayed until 1837.

Government:
    Buckingham Palace

Palace of Westminster

Flankk - nice pics mate +Rep

I have made a spreadsheet (see below) showing the vacant Prestige-slots for each faction so we can narrow it down to what is possible.Green = vacant slot (can have Prestige building). Red = full slot (already has one). Purple = vacant but buildings added in wip. Orange = Prestige building may be possible. See spreadsheet below:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Flannk nice work. I think I might put the Admiralty in as it was built in 1723-6. Only problem is it is closest to the existing Somerset House building which is an existing Prestige model in the game. Can't include Palace of Westminster because the govt slot is already filled in in the CA files. Also the present building dates from the 1840s because the old building was burned down. Also, Somerset House is already in the unmodded game. A Prestige Building can only be built in the capital region. What would be possible is to add an artillery or Naval building for the UK.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 09, 2010 at 12:56 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Geronimo2006 - Nice work mate!

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Geronimo2006 - Nice work mate!
    Thank you.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

flannk's Avatar Civis

Good work Geronimo!
    So for the UK, the Admiralty and the Tower of London are good propositions then. The table is very very very very very useful. This narrows my search A LOT.
    +Rep

Quick addition:
    For the UP, the Government Prestige building would definitely be the Binnenhof, which currently houses the Dutch Parliament (Staten-Generaal) since 1446, it startles me that it is not yet included (in the original ETW).

The building is constructed like a walled garden, I believe Westminster Palace is the same , this is a shot from the inside:

Proof that it was used for parliament in 17th century:

Inside painting of a meeting of parliament in the 'Knight's Hall' (Ridderzaal), which is a building inside the Binnenhof, 1651.

Everything stolen from Wikipedia
    Last edited by flannk; June 09, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks Flannk but we need buildings constructed in the 1700s or early 19th century.
    Quote Originally Posted by flannk
    The table is very very very very very useful.
    Good to hear.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

flannk's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Thanks Flannk but we need buildings constructed in the 1700s or early 19th century.
    Yeah, you're right, it's not logical to build a building in TAR in 17xx while that building was already in place in the 14th century.

So can't we model this re-use (or redesignation of function) of old buildings (which happened in reality) by building a restructuring to a building that is not visible on the campaign map but which becomes visible after restructuring it. I.e. the Tower of London was already there in the 12th century, in 1700 it is still not being used as armoury (although in reality it was already from 1414 onwards), and does not appear on the map. Then you can choose when you've upgraded your buildings to highest level in 18xx to restructure the Tower of Londen to use as armory, at which time this building will appear on the campaign map.

Something like that? It is still not 100% historically accurate, but so are sieges LOL! (I HATE it that I cannot semi-accurately do the Siege of Yorktown with digging parallels, bringing cannon to position, and blasting from ditches while being fired upon by cannon from fort walls). Otherwise, there is a good possibility that we wont be able to come up with structures that were there in reality, leaving the open positions as they are now.

Glad the forum is back up. This is the Academie Francaise as a Prestige Building for France:
    Actual building:
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 12, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Some great insights Geronimo and Flannk,+rep to you both ! (in 24 hrs)

flannk's Avatar Civis

About the request for a Prussian palace built in the 18th century:

Stadtschloss (Berlin)
    Is a palace in Berlin, constructed in 1451, expended (enlarged and beautified) until 1465, completely demolished and rebuilt in Italian Renaissance style in 1538.
    Then the design was again altered by the King of Prussia (Elector Frederick III of Brandenburg becoming King Frederick I in 1701). In 1699 a new architect was appointed and the building was rebuilt in Protestant Baroque style. This redesign and rebuilding was commenced around 1702. The building has the shape of a regular cube enclosing a magnificently ornamented courtyard.

Berliner Stadtschloss, 1702

Later, in 1713, with the appointment of King Frederick William I, the kingdom was more concerned with fighting wars and the nation began focusing on building its army. The new king dismissed most of the craftsmen from the palace and therefore it never completely reached the grande style envisioned by the previous king, Göthe.

Here you can see, comparing with the status of the building in 1702, the scale of the expansions. This picture is from around 1900:

The final stage included the design and construction of a dome in 1845, so the building in 1700-1800 does not have this dome. The building was demolished in 2008.

How do I resize images?
    Last edited by flannk; June 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Place the image using a "Spoiler" and that will resize the image

Great work flannk. +1 Will make a great info pic too if I pick it.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

flannk's Avatar Civis

Seems to me that the putting it in Spoiler Alert option does not work...

I am including RMA Sandhurst because it was founded in 1799/1800 and looks very similar to the Lazienski Park model. I considered including the defunct RMA Woolwich but I couldn't find a similar building. Comparisons:

I've also found a picture of the Independence Hall (US) and the Smithsonian that are already in the original game:
    Can someone find me pictures of a pre-Revolutionary artillery-school? They are supposed to have existed in Metz, Fère, Strasbourg, Perpignan and Grenoble in 1720 and in Valence, Douai, Auxonne, Fère, Metz, Besançon and Strasbourg in 1789. Just pre-Revolution for now okay?

The two building models in the game which bear the closest resemblance to the Stadtschloss are these (so it will probably be one of them if I include it):
    Quote Originally Posted by flannk View Post
    Seems to me that the putting it in Spoiler Alert option does not work...
    It does work. Make sure you have closed each Spoiler Tag [/ spoiler]at the end without the space.

The Neues Palais in Potsdam looks almost identical to Somerset House but with red brick, so if it would be possible I'd like to make a copy of the model (done) but then to put it in the mod with red-brick. Help with this is welcome:
    BTW the Prestige Building models are located in this directory inside the models.pack file: rigidmodels\campaignbuildings\buildings\prestige. I'm going to take a look at them to see if I can add new models, retexture existing ones, and get more accurate Prestige buildings.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast