Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Gamer UK 6 Page Preview

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

Default PC Gamer UK 6 Page Preview

As mentioned in the speculation thread before, PCG UK (the first one, fyi) have done published a 6 page preview of Shogun 2. Sadly, there are no screenshots

I will now post some information and a couple of quotes what were in the article.

• Release: "2011"
    • The Year is not 1530. The Year is 1540.
    • Four Turns per year
    • Winter city side, crystal bits of snowflakes all around my head in the wind.
    • Kieran: "Direct assault on the Emperor is forbidden because he's God's representative on earth, but you can still control the emperor as puppet much like people did with the papacy in Medieval Europe, by saying, "I'm clearly the military force here, and if you designate my as Shogun - the armed protector of all Japan - then I will become the sword for your heavenly vision. Shogun 2 is about becoming that powerful".
    • 'Some of the questions I asked would elicit not an answer, but a smirk and a knowing look between them' Actually, I think that had more to do with the 94% review PC Gamer gave Empire than Shogun 2. I mean, I'd be pretty damn smug.
    • Japanese castles are multi-staged mazes of walls and courtyards. Two letters and a word: A, I, Pathfinding. Hope they get this right.
    • Historical Battle: Battle of Kawagoe
    • I had no illusions that I'd ever find a glimpse of summer heat wave in your eyes.
    • Night battles are something they're currently working on to try and make work. If they can't, it seems it won't be in the final game. Kieran: "It absolutely has to earn it's place in the design". Good. No feature is better than a broken feature, guys.
    • You can choose the skills your characters develop, instead of having them appear based on actions. I suspect some people won't like this, but I think it's a good idea.
    • You did what you did to me, now it's history I see.
    • Hero units will have particular generic skills, like being good against cavalry or swordsmen.
    • Hero units aren't the lame IGN suggested, but they have special abilities which seem to do stuff like buffing friendly units, debuffing enemy ones or doing types of damage. No one has said "RPG elements" yet, but they might so watch out for that.
    • Mike Simpson: "It's one of our key objectives to make sure that no one mentions AI ever again in a bad light, because we've had enough of that." Yeah, so does that mean you've hired more than one person to do the AI this time? Also, acta non verba, guys.
    • Here's my comeback on the road again.
    • "Japanese ships typically fell into two categories, sheds on water and castles on water".
    • Naval battles, which seem to be almost or entirely coastal, and featuring oar powered ships will resemble land battles more closely.
    • There will be a stronger difference between regions in Shogun 2. This is a bit of a reference to the original shogun, where certain provinces produced a specific type of unit with more chevrons, and you could only build blacksmiths to upgrade troops in provinces with certain resources.
    • Napoleon's supply lines will "not necessarily" be in Shogun 2.
    • PCG's guesses about what are the 9 clans: Otomo, Mori, Urakami, Myoshi, Takeda, Uesugi, Hojo, Date. This is on a boxout map thingy.
    • Things will happen while they can.
    • The same boxout says the game is over when the Emperor crowns you Japan's protector. I dunno if that's PC Gamers guess or not. Personally, I hope they steal Solium Infernum's prestige system for that, because I think it would work well in the context.
    • I will wait here for my man tonight.
    • Japanese terrain is 'weird' apparently, so expect more spectacular and varied battlefields.
    • "A major multi-player innovation is in the works which we haven't nailed down yet"
    • It's easy when you're big in Japan.
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

TheJian's Avatar Miles

Default Re: PC Gamer UK 6 Page Preview

Thanks 4 the info man gj! But the "Japanese terrain is 'weird' apparently, so expect more spectacular and varied battlefields"
    That was a big part of STW1 it was the best looking game ever till that time IMO..........the fog, the hills. Yea they must get this right, so i understand the thinking on this. The battle terrain is what made you love the game.

Also Hero units or kensai is cool. They have made it a little better. It was fun in STW but i never use them(too long to build for what you got). Only people who did not play the game are getting all worked up over the name Hero. Just an Elite at the top of tech tree. We have them now and i dont see people modding them out of the game, lol we have more of them.

Nice to get back to the chess kind of game. Now you moves will count or i hope so.
    Last edited by TheJian; June 05, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
    Boys want quantity, while men seek quality.
    Mere external facts cannot serve as a ground of reasoning.
    What we are able to learn is greatly dependent upon what we already know. Different people with different amounts of information will UNDERSTAND different.
    "That until you understand white supremacy everything else will confuse you" ~Neely Fuller~
    There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in ever lasting ignorance. This principle is contempt prior to examination.
    They came before Columbus - Dr Ivan Van Sertima

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Looking good. Lol at Mark's comment about the AI
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

TheJian's Avatar Miles

Well i understand, because TW game never had an AI so why people got so worked up about it in ETW kills me. STW MI is the only game got my ass kick alot. Come 2 think of it, the number killed you not the AI. But you did see Art of war kind of thinking,

Just like people get all worked up over the name Hero...
    lol Not much you can do to make STW2 a new game so you call a kensai Hero. Then people read RPG into it. lol OMG its just the name of a unit.
    How the Emperor works is something im keeping my eye on.
    Last edited by TheJian; June 05, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
    Boys want quantity, while men seek quality.
    Mere external facts cannot serve as a ground of reasoning.
    What we are able to learn is greatly dependent upon what we already know. Different people with different amounts of information will UNDERSTAND different.
    "That until you understand white supremacy everything else will confuse you" ~Neely Fuller~
    There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in ever lasting ignorance. This principle is contempt prior to examination.
    They came before Columbus - Dr Ivan Van Sertima

LOL @ the "big in Japan" lyrics!

Quote Originally Posted by eregost View Post
    Looking good. Lol at Mark's comment about the AI
    made my day

but i think they will get it right, or atleast i hope they will
    in some odd fashion they kinda deserves it

keep it up CA best of luck

NTW supply system was great! Don't remove that :/

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

No attrition/suply system? That would be so lame.

The others are nice things. +rep
    [Col] RO Citizen

Well he never ruled it out but the way it was written did sound like it would be dropped. They said something about having to drop some features from game to game so it didn't get too dense (paraphrasing). Personally it'd be a big dissapointment if they dropped it as it was a good step forward for the series and something i thought they could really build on. If nothing else the replenishment system sorted out that old bug/oversight of the Ai not retraining their armies and going around with destroyed units.

Some of the stuff in the preview was pure comical ali bull. There was a bit about the naval side of Empire and how the ships were "slow turning" and reliant on the wind whereas the Japanese ships will have much more freedom to go anywhere. Did the Dev's actually play their game? I know they have to put a spin on stuff but when they come out with that it just makes me shake my head and ramp the skepticism back up to 11

The preview claimed that the original only had two turns per year but i remember it having 4 as well. Anyone care to slap my wrongness down or restore my faith in my drink addled brain?

Prince of Darkness's Avatar Campidoctor

LOL I would like to have the emperor be my puppet. Can the AI be competent enough to navigate through the 'weird' terrain and huge complex castles?

Can the AI be competent enough to navigate through the 'weird' terrain and huge complex castles?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    no
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ward View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    no
    Hahahah m8

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I also hope that CA not only retains the Attrition feature but expands on it. It is the best new feature that they have added since RTW. Drop the silly Hero feature if you must; no really, just drop it; but for God's sake keep the Attrition. With the Seasonal turns we and the AI need a serious incentive not to go tramping through the winter landscape.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

You would sometimes wonder do CA really want to make a strategy game or is it just a label that they find useful, remove attrition you say I would be extending it not removing it.

To be honest even now I am beginning to suspect the same old type of game is going to be churned out from Warscapes bowels, splatter across the floor with a slightly oriental look but still smell the same.

The Emperor becomes the Pope and no doubt CA will boast how the diplomacy has been improved by adding a few lines to the diplomatic menu that the AI will still ignore even if your about to shove a Katana up its arse.

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ward View Post
    • Hero units will have particular generic skills, like being good against cavalry or swordsmen.
    • Hero units aren't the lame IGN suggested, but they have special abilities which seem to do stuff like buffing friendly units, debuffing enemy ones or doing types of damage. No one has said "RPG elements" yet, but they might so watch out for that.
    I hope people read this so they stop ing (complaining) so much about hero units.

Image used on the cover. Geisha and ninja!

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Great Job Tim_Ward +rep

Yeah,that's a great image!They should use that or very similar for the box cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    I also hope that CA not only retains the Attrition feature but expands on it. It is the best new feature that they have added since RTW. Drop the silly Hero feature if you must; no really, just drop it; but for God's sake keep the Attrition. With the Seasonal turns we and the AI need a serious incentive not to go tramping through the winter landscape.
    No way, heroes=RPG elements=good

Not necessarily "fantasy" elements either. Some new things and RPG elements is just what this series needs.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by lemoney View Post
    No way, heroes=RPG elements=good

Not necessarily "fantasy" elements either. Some new things and RPG elements is just what this series needs.

I have an open mind on the Hero unit and will wait and see but I do hope it is a small unit composed of an elite warrior along with his followers and not a single UBER killing machine god of war. I get the feeling it will be very much like the Sword Saint from the first game and that I can do without.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast