Thread: The question of region/settlement names

Default The question of region/settlement names

In the endless work of finishing the mod, I have a doubt about the regions and settlement names. I think that none of the solutions will be perfect, but there are several options:

a) Current names in the different modern languages: for example the carthaginian capital would be Cartago in Spanish and Carthage in English. I don't like very much this option, mainly for settlements that don't exist anymore and that are much less known than Carthage or Syracuse.

b) Latin names for all the regions and settlements: this solution gives "historical flavour", but it is not historically accurate as many portions of the map were "unknown" for romans in that moment. For example, Saguntum was the name (very famous name) for a settlement, but the pre-roman name was completely different (unfortunately it was Arse, with "different meaning" in English ). Again, in many cases the latin name was "translated" to the modern languages, and in Spanish we say Sagunto.

c) Original names in that period, each one in the original language. This solution may be the most accurate, but there are several problems. For example, there are many settlements or regions with unknown original name (or even the name didn't exist). Another problem is that the player would find difficult to recognize the settlement. How many of you would identify Bengoda with Pompaelo, the modern Pamplona? Another example, my city Caesaraugusta was a roman fundation at the end of the period of the game, but it was placed in the same (more or less) place of an iberian settlement, known with different names (Salduie, Saltuie, Salduba) depending on the source.

Would a mixed method (b+c) be the best? How do I mix these methods?
    Please, I'd like to know your opinion.

I think that names in Iberia should be called by their original names and the settlements that have unknown original names be given the name in Latin...
    Last edited by ZuluKingOfTheDwarfPeople; December 03, 2005 at 08:06 PM.

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

I think the best way about this is at every posible place use the native name of the settlement. If there is no native name known, go for latin. But never use modern names.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkwarrior
    Another problem is that the player would find difficult to recognize the settlement.
    That is no consern. It is no fun to have every mod with the same names. The originality of native names gives unprecidented flavor to the map. That is what is fun, that is what is realistic. You cant lose.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluKingOfTheDwarfPeople
    I think that names in Iberia should be called by their original names and the settlements that have unknown original names be given the name in Latin...
    I agree with Seleukos and ZuluKingOfTheDwarfPeople (weird but distinctive handle by the way!). I think that it is more or less what I opted for in the translation anyway, but offhand I cannot remember exactly.

Having ancient Iberian names adds to the feel of the mod, and makes it more of an experience. I think that is what most people are looking for anyway.

Can you show us a little preview of what the mapll look like?

Let's just hope they were fascist communist kittens who were on their way to international fascist communist fair.