Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick and tired of this.

DarkArk's Avatar Senator

Default Sick and tired of this.

I guess I'll just preface this with my own bias. I'm one of those people who logged a ton of time into the original Shogun, and it was one of my favorite games way back during my preteen years, along with Starcraft and Emperor: Battle for Dune. It was a great game for its day, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Which brings me to my point: can some of you people just stop talking and stop making snide remarks about wanting Rome 2, or how Japan is boring (it isn't btw, and for me the only part of ancient history I find interesting is Roman Civil War). Expressing disappointment in the announcement forum is one thing, but it seems some of you people just can't stop talking about it, and seem obsessed with making that known to everyone.

As a second component to this, I also dislike how people keep judging the game and how its going to be small and horrible when we haven't even seen any screenshots! Empire and Napoleon are much the same way, with only really 11 different unit types that I can think of, and many of those are obscure (line infantry, light infantry, cannons, howitzers, lancers, light cav, heavy cav, missile cav, melee infantry, archers). Everything that CA has told us points to people's fears being unsubstantiated. Heroes are not god-like but rather powerful individuals that much be used with care. Apparently the map is going to be huge.

Maybe I'm asking more than an internet forum can give of itself, but if Rome 2 had been announced I sure wouldn't go around bemoaning the lack of Shogun 2, that's for sure.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; June 03, 2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Edited for Content

Default Re: Sick and tired of this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArk View Post
    Maybe I'm asking more than an internet forum can give of itself
    i think you hit the nail on the head right there

i agree with you. People like to judge a book by its cover. They haven't seen previews, they haven't played the game so really they can't judge. They only judge because they know nothing about the era but if they read they would find it interesting.

The same thing happened to napoleon and empire, then they liked it so it will be the same.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Yea I'm starting to get tired of people whining about not having Rome Total War 2. Samurai have a bigger cultural impact/more popular than Romans okay? Romans were the people we studied about and fell asleep in history class. Samurai and Ninja are all awesome.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; June 04, 2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Edited for Content

DarkArk's Avatar Senator

Samurai have a bigger cultural impact/more popular than Romans okay?
    I wouldn't agree with that per se. Rome had a huge impact of world history, and if they had managed to make reading and writing more prolific they would have changed history much more. Rome is also pretty much the entire basis of Western Culture. Japan has only been in the last 105 years or so that they've been on the real world stage. That doesn't stop the Sengoku era from being awesome though.

I wouldn't agree with that per se. Rome had a huge impact of world history, and if they had managed to make reading and writing more prolific they would have changed history much more. Rome is also pretty much the entire basis of Western Culture. Japan has only been in the last 105 years or so that they've been on the real world stage. That doesn't stop the Sengoku era from being awesome though.
    What I meant was go up to your average person and ask them what was more interesting they would definitely say Samurai or Ninja over Roman legionnaire.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

I agree stop crying already its not going to change anything. I use to think R2TW should be next game and even voted for R2TW as the game I wanted next but after thinking about I am glad they are making S2TW.

DarkArk's Avatar Senator

What I meant was go up to your average person and ask them what was more interesting
    That would entirely depend on where that person was. If they were in a Pacific Rim city like I am, they probably would go with Japan. I do. An Italian would probably think differently.

I didn't write this to say Japan was better, I was just complaining about the whiny Rome 2 fanboys.

I agree. The fact that the vocal minority feel the need to bash CA for their "incompetent" games is very sad. I started playing Shogun when it came out and I was in my twenties. The whole series has been fantastic and seeing people bash a game that so far for gamers is one sheet of info sums up their attitude. Just ignore them, share strategies and hopes with the real fans, and most of all count down to this new gems release

Quote Originally Posted by lemoney View Post
    What I meant was go up to your average person and ask them what was more interesting they would definitely say Samurai or Ninja over Roman legionnaire.
    Good point. Average people is what this game needs. Not Elitist fans who want a good historical intelligent game.

Samurai are awesome, study at school was boring yay

Despite my signature, (I'm sure Rome2 will come). I just purchased a movie and some books about samurai to get into this era and already owned some. I don't hate Shogun2. Looking forward to it.
    I would really hate for what you say to come true and we stop seeing interesting periods covered just because the too cool for school kids like undie-jeans instead of trousers.
    Last edited by Destraex; June 03, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

That would entirely depend on where that person was. If they were in a Pacific Rim city like I am, they probably would go with Japan. I do. An Italian would probably think differently.

I didn't write this to say Japan was better, I was just complaining about the whiny Rome 2 fanboys.
    Haha of course, there is no such thing as "better" history. But there are more people still interested in Japanese warriors over Roman legionnaires.

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

Yea I'm starting to get tired of babies whining about not having Rome Total War 2. Samurai have a bigger cultural impact/more popular than Romans okay? Romans were the people we studied about and fell asleep in history class. Samurai and Ninja are all awesome.
    Look, I like Shogun 2, and I'm hyped as hell, but what you said is really really really really dumb.

Haha of course, there is no such thing as "better" history. But there are more people still interested in Japanese warriors over Roman legionnaires.
    No, they are not.

Here here!

I don't want to sound like an , but people who have not played shogun 1 are complaining about certain features which made shogun great. Play the first game and then form an opinion on what the new game should be like, because the game has its own character, this is annoying.

But if they don't cry what will I eat?

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Discontent Emeritus

Your average person would likely know more about Samurai than a Legionnaire. Probably more interest in them also since it's a quick jump to Ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nack View Post
    Look, I like Shogun 2, and I'm hyped as hell, but what you said is really really really really dumb.

No, they are not.
    So are you saying your average person would be more interested in Roman Legionnaires? Prove it. I can tell you now only history buffs(majority of these forums would know that much about Rome otherwise it's pretty boring compared to flipping ninjas and amazing warriors trained from birth. Not to mention more people are interested in Japanese culture in general.

Honestly I prefered a Victorian Total War still but Shogun is my second.
    Last edited by lemoney; June 03, 2010 at 10:34 PM.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

(As MCM sits in his Tokyo office....)

Looking forward to the new release.
    Enough said.

I agree about people moaning about R2. To be honest, I'd be happy with either. I love both time periods, hell I probably love Roman history more than Japanese...

The point remains, I reckon R2 will come out in a couple years. Look at it this way, CA did , STW, MTW, RTW, M2TW, E/NTW, now S2TW, so I'm almost certain we'll get something else entirely new followed then by R2TW, then another thing, and then, who knows, maybe an E2TW, and so on!

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

So are you saying your average person would be more interested in Roman Legionnaires? Prove it. I can tell you now only history buffs would know that much about Rome otherwise it's pretty boring compared to flipping ninjas and amazing warriors trained from birth. Not to mention more people are interested in Japanese culture in general.
    What? You're the one claiming something as outrageous as saying people are not interested in roman culture, so you should be the one to prove so. And most stories about ninjas and samurai are that, stories, exageration and distortion by mythology and legends, kinda like it happens with greek spartans and berserkers.
    And, again, who says more people are interested in japanese culture in general, at least regarding history? Do you have some sort of evidence to back it up? I think you are either underestimating the impact and fame of greco-roman culture, or severely overestimating japanese culture.
    Last edited by Nack; June 03, 2010 at 10:38 PM.

So are you saying your average person would be more interested in Roman Legionnaires? Prove it. I can tell you now only history buffs would know that much about Rome otherwise it's pretty boring compared to flipping ninjas and amazing warriors trained from birth. Not to mention more people are interested in Japanese culture in general.
    I may just be playing the devil's advocat here, but can you prove more people prefer ninjas and samurai to legionnaires?

The Roman Empire impacted a much greater area of culture than the Japanese ever did. Both are great, and I love both, but to be so certain as you are is a bit silly. Some people prefer one, other prefer the other, is that not enough?

If you ask me, I could just be difficult and say that I prefer Spartans to either...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast