Page 95 of 229 FirstFirst ... 4570858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105120145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 4571

Thread: The Beer (Booze) Thread

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: The Beer Thread

Drinking a Highland Black Mocha Stout

It's really good, but it might have just a bit too much of a burnt taste. I'd probably adjust and really love it after 2 bottles though, thats how it usually is.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

So to celebrate the weather cooling down to a frosty 103 today, I headed up to the store and snagged some beers, drank a couple, and decided to leech some images to post here. Good times, right?

Beer #1: New Belgium Brewery's 1554 Enlightened Black Ale:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoilered because it's big, but I couldn't not use that photo. Nice shot, internet person I'm stealing this from. Something weird is going on at the top there though.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/1914

Beer #2: Some called Monk's Ale, by either (according to BA) "Abbey of Christ in the Desert" or (according to the bottle) "Abbey Beverage Company LLC." Either way, it's brewed in New Mexico. The box is already in the recycling bin, so I don't know what that says. Whatever. Here's a pic:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24136/63050

Beer #3: Sierra Blanca's Roswell Alien Amber. Hey this is also brewed in New Mexico. Imagine that. This was in the singles rack.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3239/18878

Beer #4: Golden Monkey by Victory Brewing Company in PA. Also a single. A google image search for "Golden Monkey" is, not surprisingly, entertaining, assuming pictures of tiny golden monkeys make you smile. There are also a couple of relevant results:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/1003

Anyway...I haven't tried all of them yet, only the first two. The 1554 is quite good, as is most everything from New Belgium. The Monk Ale was also surprisingly good, although not quite up to the 1554. The other two? Eh...haven't given them a shot yet.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Golden Monkey is nice.

I also worked out that a six-pack of Brooklyn Lager in my local supermarket costs $16.58.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    So today was IPA Day. Anyone have an IPA?
    No...

and my cigar.
    Denny Crane!

So I brought home a bottle of real Peroni, a Titanbrau pils, a Titanbrau weizen, a Titanbrau ale and a liter can of Bamberger Kaisersdom lager with a liter glass.

Had but not reviewed:
    -Hofbrau Hefeweizen
    -Budweiser Budvar
    -Asahi Superdry
    -Viru
    -Hacker-Pchorr Braumeister Pils
    Last edited by Treize; August 06, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
    Miss me yet?

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Last night was not good. I decided to drink a full bottle of Stone's Imperial Russian Stout.

Then a Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Then another. Then a Trader Jose's Dark Beer.

On the other hand, maybe it was good after all

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

If the beer stayed inside of you then it sounds like a good night.

Due to budget downgrading tonight's selection will be Sainsbury's Basics Bitter - 25p per can Oddly enough the pic I found has it poured into a Westvleteren glass...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's pretty weak and watery though that's because it's actually a small beer - so designed to be drunk instead of water throughout the day. Even children used to drink this stuff at breakfast, and by 'used to' I mean up until the 1960s-70s.
    Last edited by René Artois; August 06, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Drinking a Old Foghorn Barleywine.
    Last edited by Treize; August 06, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
    Miss me yet?

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Old Cub Scotch Ale by Oskar Blues

Yet another Oskar Blues beer and I think it's no stretch of the imagination that I'll really like this one too. Now it's time for their Old Chub. I've liked pretty much every Scotch Ale I've had.

Poured into my tall snifter, Old Chub grows a two finger, off-white, and very creamy head. It's a dark brown on the table but when held up to the light it's a lovely ruby color.

Old Chub sure smells good. I pick up a lot of roasted malts, raisins, some breadiness, toffee, vanilla, and alcohol. It's nutty too, like almonds.

It tastes very strongly of bread and raisins. Raisin bread! It has some molasses sweetness. A bit of smokiness and almond are in the finish as well as some booziness. Damn, I wish it was winter and cold instead of 100+ degrees because I'd love to have this then.

The mouthfeel is smooth yet sticky because of its sweetness. Medium carbonation keeps things interesting.

This is another Scotch ale I enjoy and yet another Oskar Blues beer that impresses.

Appearance: 4
    Smell: 3.5
    Taste: 4
    Mouthfeel: 3.5
    Overall: 3.85

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Currently drinking a liter of Kaiserdom Lager.

Cheers!
    Miss me yet?

I think you mean 'Prost!'.

Proost!
    Miss me yet?

Abergut, ive got last night an Westmalle triple, it was quite nice still i prefer other belgium beers, and like "krieks" that is delicius. When i go to my grandmother who lives in the flemmish part of Holland, i always travel through andwerp, hulst and in the belgium shops you just have soooooo much choise....

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ♔IPA35♔ View Post
    Is that a glass of Bud Light you've got there?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

What is this Light stuff you talk about

Never mind, I don't want to hear.

It was Kaiserdom Premium Lager.
    Miss me yet?

Hypothetically speaking, would I likely be flamed to death if I were to come in here and say that I think cider is much nicer than beer?
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Cider has its moments. But it can't stand toe to toe with good beer.

Also, got myself a bottle of Southern Tier Java Stout, and a Fin du Monde. Still waiting for good times to enjoy them.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Hehe just kidding, wanted to see what the reaction would be

I have to say that I'm rather into the "bland" beer out there (carling, stella artois, carlsberg, budweiser etc.) so I can't really comment in here until I can explore a bit more and find things a bit more fitting to my taste; one of the reasons I'm more into cider is because it has a somewhat sweeter/more interesting taste to it whereas I find the beers (that I have tried) to have a much more bland flavour comparatively. Any relatively easily accessible beers you could suggest for that? I presume that even the more expensive/exotic bitters wouldn't really be for me...

PS - UK, Midlands here
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ♔IPA35♔ View Post
    What is this Light stuff you talk about

Never mind, I don't want to hear.

It was Kaiserdom Premium Lager.
    It was a joke because the empty glass looks kind of like it's full of bud light.
    ttt

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    Hehe just kidding, wanted to see what the reaction would be

I have to say that I'm rather into the "bland" beer out there (carling, stella artois, carlsberg, budweiser etc.) so I can't really comment in here until I can explore a bit more and find things a bit more fitting to my taste; one of the reasons I'm more into cider is because it has a somewhat sweeter/more interesting taste to it whereas I find the beers (that I have tried) to have a much more bland flavour comparatively. Any relatively easily accessible beers you could suggest for that? I presume that even the more expensive/exotic bitters wouldn't really be for me...

PS - UK, Midlands here
    If you're looking at something with a lot of flavour, that is closer to cider than your usual beers, try out some IPAs. Not really sure what beers are available in the UK, but a good starting point is always a Sierra Nevada. Their "Torpedo IPA" is very good. They also have a fantastic stout flavour, if you wanna try that (though, being from England, you should definitely try a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout first).
    Another good Sierra Nevada is their Pale Ale, though it's got a bitter/hoppy aftertaste that can put off a lot of people.

Dogfish Head IPAs are also very good, if you're able to find them there.
    Last edited by therussian; August 07, 2011 at 07:05 PM.