Page 6 of 229 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer (Booze) Thread

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The Beer Thread

Hmmmm, I would love to write some reviews of local beers (in the last month, two beers who have been lost since the start of consumption-culture in the region were revived, most of the local beers still exist due to touristic impulses (Kastel) or just the great taste (Zeunt )
    What do ye lads think? Would it be usefull?

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Personally, I'd be very interested in reading about local beers over there. I've tried a great number of Belgian beers, both from Belgium and from the U.S., but I'd like to know what local beers are like from someone.

One day I want to travel the world (yeah, I know everyone wants to do that! ) and try all the different beers.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Hi guys,

Again some interesting comment.

I think we should be clear in our assessment of a beer, why we are drinking it. I work in a brewery producing main brand lager. Now sometimes I want an exotic beer, preferably strong in taste and often strength.

Often though I may just want any old (preferably cold) beer. Sometime my own product. For example tonight after a stinker at work i'm on a bud, something i would never normally buy.

Last weekend I had an english bitter from Courage - Directors choice. I've enjoyed it before however this time it was poor due to the fact that it had been overpasteurised.

Now the point I'm getting to is that the big brand beers offer a constant experience. It won't excite you but you can be (reasonably) sure it won't be horrible.

If you do try something new (and you should) and you don't enjoy it, try it again you may have just got a duff batch.

Anyway I ramble.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Live from my desk... after a long days work: An Oettinger Export... slightly stronger than the Pilsner... with a rich taste
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Content Emeritus

Here's the latest beer I've bought.

http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/undercover.html

It comes in a 6 pack with 9.75% ABV and 74.2 IBU.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

Great commercials

Last edited by Taxandrius; July 26, 2010 at 01:47 PM.

KDK's Avatar Pro Rege Et Grege

You gotta love Carlsberg and Tuborg

Last edited by KDK; July 26, 2010 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    Probably. I'm guessing it was a cheap lager that you smelled. I rarely drink cheap lagers anymore. My cheap beer is Schlitz and that's the only cheap stuff I drink even though I don't think it tastes too terrible. But there are other types of beers that wouldn't EVER smell like piss. Smell an imperial stout. Those will smell like coffee/chocolate.
    My beer palate follows the seasons...right now it's summer in NM, so it's all about the pilsners and lagers. I do love a good stout, and most nutbrowns, but in this weather I'd prolly choke on it. Full Sail has a very good Ltd pilsner right now (recipe #3?), and new Belgium's summertime wheat is purty tasty.

I miss Leinenkugel's, both the original and Red. All we get are their fruitier seasonals down here.

Rahl, if you ever see Marble Red or IPA from Marble Brewery (Albuquerque, NM) do yourself a favor! So far EVERY out of state visitor I've hosted has shared my extreme enthusiasm for these fine hoppy beverages. The Red is a bit more accessible than the IPA...perhaps my favorite beer, ever. Wow. Never thought I'd say that.
    Giving tax breaks to the wealthy, is like giving free dessert coupons to the morbidly obese.

IDIOT BASTARD SON of MAVERICK

Content Emeritus

When some of my favorite breweries make seasonal beers, I'm all over it! Since it's so hot down here in Texas I'm drinking lighter beers as well. I haven't had a stout in...a couple of months.

I've never heard of Marble or seen any of their beers. I'll attempt to find them.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Trappist beers are the best! god bless Belgium

oooh, reminds me of it: gotta start with the fruit(y) beers and geuzes first when I get home, to follow the season

any of you lads tried special Winter/Bock beers? What do you think compared to the original?

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernem View Post
    Live from my desk... after a long days work: An Oettinger Export... slightly stronger than the Pilsner... with a rich taste
    That looks so damn refreshing *yum yum*

Can't wait to hit Germany in December. I'll drink as many varieties of North German beer as I can!
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    That looks so damn refreshing *yum yum*

Can't wait to hit Germany in December. I'll drink as many varieties of North German beer as I can!
    A teaser for you then

Friday's beer, a Hansa Pils (brewed in Dortmund though)

Content Emeritus

I've been drinking this beer over this week. It's 9.75% ABV makes it a good beer before bed!

You guys drink a bit too much beer. It's frightening to hear this much consumption.

Content Emeritus

Too much beer is an oxymoron.

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

I live in the city where sierra nevada beer is made. Thusly, we get discounts, and thusly, its all I drink.
    Blut und Boden

Content Emeritus

The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the beer that I think got me to start trying out a bunch of different beers. It's not too expensive and has a lot of flavor and good hoppy flavor yet is still very drinkable. Their stout and porter are very good too. I'm not a big fan of their hefeweizen or their special brews though.

My friend brought me a 40 oz Schlitz tonight. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    I live in the city where sierra nevada beer is made. Thusly, we get discounts, and thusly, its all I drink.
    Sierra Nevada IPA.

It has kick. Too bad its a bit expensive over here.