Page 11 of 229 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer (Booze) Thread

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Beer Thread

I have to thank my brother for getting me this beer.

Avery Brewing Co. - Mephistopheles' Stout

There are some beers that are insane. There is only one that I'd consider to be truly evil. Mephistopheles' Stout from Avery is known to even make women cringe! When I first saw the beer I was shocked by what I read on the bottle. I'm not sure there's a person out there who doesn't agree. Mephistopheles' Stout has a whopping 15.92% ABV. To put that alcohol content into context, your average wine is around 14% ABV. I mean...WTF Mephistopheles?! One fact that should be noted is that the beer that I drank was bottled on November of 2008. That's right, the Mephistopheles I'm reviewing is almost two years old! Basically, everything about this beer screams, "Insane!" But little did I know the beer would be true to its name...

Mephistopheles pours out a velvety blackness like depths of Hell. It's as if you're pouring midnight into your glass. Actually, it is not pitch black. It looks very much like a black coffee, with the edges being a dark brown. The head is toffee-colored, bubbly, a fizzles out much quicker than I expected it to. When you swirl Mephistopheles around in the glass you can see a clear line where it was, like swirling wine, as evidence of the beer's sweetness. The aroma is rich and complex. To say it smells like coffee is an understatement. It's as if the beer was brewed along with roasted coffee. Sweet molasses and dark cherry and sweet/bitter raisin lay underneath with dark chocolate and smooth maltiness. It has an overall aroma of an aged beer too. As if the smell isn't strong enough, the taste certainly took me by surprise.

When you take your first sip of Mephistopheles' Stout you are not prepared for it. Sure, it is full of flavor but it will kick your ass whether you're a rookie or legendary beer drinker. Immediately your taste buds are bombarded with the rich and roasty coffee flavors mixed with dark cherry and raisin bitterness. The alcohol hits you early and hard too. It makes the beer "hot" and warms all the way down. On my first few sips I coughed from the alcohol until I was used to it. It's not like I expected anything less from a beer named after Mephistopheles! The cherry/raisin and molasses sweetness bring more flavor, enjoyment, and complexity to it while dark chocolate/cocoa notes add more richness. Trust me that it takes some time to get used to this beer. My favorite characteristic was that the dominant roasted coffee and sweetness flavors lingered in the finish for a very long time after the beer had already gone into my stomach. Mephistopheles' evil goodness stays with you by sticking to your tongue, mouth, and throat after every gulp. This uniqueness makes the drinking experience more enjoyable. I'll be honest here, Mephistopheles' Stout is a great beer but it is not something I'd want to have repeated drinks of. The flavors are crazily good but strong and the alcohol is harsh yet balanced with it all. When you buy a beer called Mephistopheles' Stout, you know what you're getting into.

4/5

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Krüger Pils

Last week, I've heard some stories about the "best pils in the world", and it didn't take long to convince my commilitones to check it out in one of the two pubs in Ghent with a monopoly on the beer.
    As you might have noticed, the beer is named after Paul Krüger, president of the South African Republic, who got the honour of a personal beer, during his travels through the Netherlands to rally people for the Afrikaner case. Sadly, the brewery, with lots of special varieties, was bought by Piedboeuf in the 1980ies, and, after a nearly burgundian sequence of fusions and auctions, Krüger pils became a small and neglected part of the Anheuser-Bush InBev consortium, which is the responsible for the extreme small circle of spreading.

The beer is different from the other decent pilsners in that point that the inappropriate bitter aftertastes and small imperfections seem to be more polished, it has a soft, though typical pils-taste, which makes it perfect for almost every occasion.

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Sainsbury's Basic Lager: 2% 92p for 4 cans

It's rubbish. Reminiscent of cheap sparkling water, and about as alcoholic as a drunkards urine. Taste's similar too.
    Will drink again only at gunpoint.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

I like the "Thirst Rate" pun...

It is truly disgusting. I posted it here just in case people buy some, so they know not to drink it.

I buy my home alcohol from Waitrose

Well aren't we Mr. Lah-di-dah? There are two offies on the way home from school (that's less than half a mile )

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by René Artois View Post

Sainsbury's Basic Lager: 2% 92p for 4 cans

It's rubbish. Reminiscent of cheap sparkling water, and about as alcoholic as a drunkards urine. Taste's similar too.
    Will drink again only at gunpoint.
    I've had this before, and you are right it was utter piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Now i'm scared to try Sainsbury's Basics Bitter.

Don't touch the following

Asda Own Brand [Product Name]

Tesco's Value [Product Name]

Sainsbury's Basics [Product Name]

Waitrose Essential [Product Name]

Well actually, the last one is ok...

The only own-brand booze i'd get would be the marks and sparks stuff.

add Heineken, I wouldn't even recommend it to my enemies

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    Amstel too to some extent, the only branded stuff i actually like to honest is Corona, but that is for another time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

I remembered last night how much I hated Becks

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    I remembered last night how much I hated Becks
    If the choice is Becks or Heineken, Becks is an obvious winner, that's what I remember

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Come on Heineken isn't THAT bad...better than Budweiser at least

Worst beer ever : Any Italian beer
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Content Emeritus

Heineken is gross. Besides, Heineken is a pilsner and Budweiser is a lager so they're two different types of beer. I mean, I can drink both but I'll only enjoy either if I've just done some grueling work in the hot sun and I need a cold beer. Simply put, anything from a mega-brewery will be gross compared to something from a smaller brewery that actually uses quality ingredients and some good TLC for every beer they make. I remember the first time I tried a quality pilsner. It was as if I'd drank something totally different compared to Heineken or other "big" pilsners. The same goes for quality lagers.

René Artois, you actually bought a 2% ABV beer? Good gosh!
    Last edited by Lord Rahl; October 10, 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

Spartan90's Avatar Campidoctor

I hope no one here judges me, but I'm quite the fan of Guinness...

I definitely concur with commercialized beer tasting generally like balls. I live in Adelaide, Australia, and have 11 microbreweries (that I know of), which has greatly increased my appreciation for beer. Although pale ale is generally the drink of choice down here, we have plenty of awesome stouts from several of the micro-breweries / wineries. I'm moving to Europe next year for a backpacking holiday, so beer drinking tips would be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    thank you, man Heineken is so bad, along with Amstel is pretty bad. Honestly haven't had many good Dutch beers, but Belgian beers I've had and they are excellent, especially the darker ones....

But all the aside one of the best beers has to be Kozel, their darks are fantastic....

Having a few of these, sitting in some cafe chairs during a calm evening, and discussing politics, philosophy.....that's the life
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan90 View Post
    I hope no one here judges me, but I'm quite the fan of Guinness...

Honestly, I haven't had a Guinness in probably four years. I was never a fan of it...as far as I remember and frankly I find calling itself a stout a bit humorous compared to most other stouts I've had. Have you ever had North Coast Brewing Co's Old Rasputin imperial stout? You'd be hard pressed to find a better stout in the world, as far as I know, for the same price. I don't know if you get it down under though.

I definitely concur with commercialized beer tasting generally like balls. I live in Adelaide, Australia, and have 11 microbreweries (that I know of), which has greatly increased my appreciation for beer. Although pale ale is generally the drink of choice down here, we have plenty of awesome stouts from several of the micro-breweries / wineries. I'm moving to Europe next year for a backpacking holiday, so beer drinking tips would be helpful

11 microbreweries?! AWESOME! You must be able to drink any great beer you want at any time. Do Australians like pale ales a lot? Americans do (at least the beer knowledgeable ones). I love hoppy beers.