Thread: The Beer (Booze) Thread

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: The Beer Thread

I've only recently discovered this thread, so I don't know if these beers have been discussed before. Some of my favorites include Tucher Helles Hefeweizen, the Ayinger Celebrator, and Chimay Blue.

Pics from Google:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Welcome, sir!

I've never seen or heard of that hefeweizen but I've drank the Celebrator and Chimay Blue. Darn good stuff. About to go buy the Escondido Imperial Black Ale right now... At least, I hope they have it.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

So because I really love saisons, I thought it would be a cool idea to save up my money until Christmas and do the 12 saisons of Christmas () I checked my beer ordering sight and they do 11 different saisons. So close yet so far!
    1. Saison Dupont
    2. Saison Biologique
    3. Saison Rue
    4. Jack D'Or
    5. Saison 1900
    6. Saison Voisin
    7. Urthel Saisonniere
    8. Pepe Nero
    9. Birra Baladin Wayan
    10. Stateside Saison
    11. Glazen Toren d'Erpe Mere
    12. ????
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    Welcome, sir!

I've never seen or heard of that hefeweizen but I've drank the Celebrator and Chimay Blue. Darn good stuff. About to go buy the Escondido Imperial Black Ale right now... At least, I hope they have it.
    You should try to find the Tucher hefeweizen; I highly recommend it. I first discovered it at a local German restaurant, but I've also seen it at some of my areas larger/nicer package stores. It's very similar to Franziskaner if you've ever had it. (if you haven't had it either, its another very good German wheat beer)

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by René Artois View Post
    So because I really love saisons, I thought it would be a cool idea to save up my money until Christmas and do the 12 saisons of Christmas () I checked my beer ordering sight and they do 11 different saisons. So close yet so far!
    1. Saison Dupont
    2. Saison Biologique
    3. Saison Rue
    4. Jack D'Or
    5. Saison 1900
    6. Saison Voisin
    7. Urthel Saisonniere
    8. Pepe Nero
    9. Birra Baladin Wayan
    10. Stateside Saison
    11. Glazen Toren d'Erpe Mere
    12. ????
    Awesome idea! Can you get an American saison at all? I doubt it...

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    You should try to find the Tucher hefeweizen; I highly recommend it. I first discovered it at a local German restaurant, but I've also seen it at some of my areas larger/nicer package stores. It's very similar to Franziskaner if you've ever had it. (if you haven't had it either, its another very good German wheat beer)
    I doubt I'll ever see it if I haven't seen it by now. It's probably not shipped to the US.

So I went to my usual place AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE ING STONE 15TH ANNIVERSARY ESCONDIDO IMPERIAL BLACK ALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I got some beer anyway. Here's some beer I saw for the first time:

Dogfish Head's Namaste

Boulevard's White IPA I'm sure it's ing delicious. All of their beers are awesome.

Rogue Creamery 75th Anniversary Ale

I ended up buying this:

$11 for a 12 pack of the Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA but there are five different of the same beer...except all five varieties are brewed with different hops. Interesting! I couldn't not get it.

I also got a six pack of Squatters Hop Rising.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

For those of you who have this shipped to your state...I FREAKING HATE YOUR GUTS!!!

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brew/...rance-ale.html
    drooollling . i want nooww!

Awesome idea! Can you get an American saison at all? I doubt it...
    I thought Saison Rue, Jack D'or, Pepe Nero and Stateside Saisons were all American? American breweries at least.

Damn I am jealous of your haul, lip smackingly good! But do I spy Great Divide Titan IPA in the left hand corner of the pic? (interestingly enough, Great Divide and Left Hand are both Colorado based breweries )

Oh yeah and the Orval was beautiful.
    Last edited by René Artois; September 03, 2011 at 05:44 AM.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Men, I have commited heresy.

Yesterday I went to a party and they had beer on tap and in bottles. So I asked for a bottle but he said they where out of Hertog Jan so he asked if I minded Amstel so I said no...

I tasted awfull and I only realised why after half a bottle...

It was alcohol-free!

Miss me yet?

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

I am sure Amstel is far better than the piss water called Carlsburg (only 3.8%abv, you might as well be drinking small beer) or Carling. Both beers are the cheap lagers of choice over here in the UK.

But it was alcohol free. Not a nice joke...
    Miss me yet?

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Viridios View Post
    I am sure Amstel is far better than the piss water called Carlsburg (only 3.8%abv, you might as well be drinking small beer) or Carling. Both beers are the cheap lagers of choice over here in the UK.
    Are you trying to get banned or something? Don't mention that name!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

I doubt I'll ever see it if I haven't seen it by now. It's probably not shipped to the US.
    Well, I live in the US, so I can tell you it is shipped/sold here.

Content Emeritus

I thought Saison Rue, Jack D'or, Pepe Nero and Stateside Saisons were all American? American breweries at least.

Shows how much I know.

Damn I am jealous of your haul, lip smackingly good! But do I spy Great Divide Titan IPA in the left hand corner of the pic? (interestingly enough, Great Divide and Left Hand are both Colorado based breweries )

Good eye, sir. It is a Titan IPA. I actually didn't like it that much even though it's a very well-reviewed beer. I'll buy it again in the future to see if my mind changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔IPA35♔ View Post
    Men, I have commited heresy.

Yesterday I went to a party and they had beer on tap and in bottles. So I asked for a bottle but he said they where out of Hertog Jan so he asked if I minded Amstel so I said no...

I tasted awfull and I only realised why after half a bottle...

It was alcohol-free!

Worst. Party. Ever. A party with alcohol-free beer? I'd have shot the host.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Well, I live in the US, so I can tell you it is shipped/sold here.

Ah! Usually if I've never heard of a beer I assume we don't get it in the US, but that's me being ignorant that Texas doesn't receive all the beer other states do.

Just found this from January - I appreciate it alot more now though xD Damn i'm jealous!

I've been throwing down the Boddingtons yesterday and today while watching some football (HEY RAHL HOW BOUT THE MEAN IN GREEN ). Still the same "aiite" brew it always was. The stuff was on sale for like $5 for a 4 pack, so, you know, I was down.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Content Emeritus

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/883/61097320521801810800.jpg
    Just found this from January - I appreciate it alot more now though xD Damn i'm jealous!

Ha! My friend is still aging his 2010 Abyss. He may have to drink it a bit sooner than he'd want though because my Black Butte XXI is from 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBurgerMaker View Post
    I've been throwing down the Boddingtons yesterday and today while watching some football (HEY RAHL HOW BOUT THE MEAN IN GREEN ). Still the same "aiite" brew it always was. The stuff was on sale for like $5 for a 4 pack, so, you know, I was down.

Mean Green! *Eagle scream* I'm going to try and go to the first home game. We've got a brand new stadium to show off when we play Houston. , we play Alabama after that...

Worst. Party. Ever. A party with alcohol-free beer? I'd have shot the host.
    Once I saw it I got rid of it and got myself Heineken().
    Miss me yet?

Ha! My friend is still aging his 2010 Abyss. He may have to drink it a bit sooner than he'd want though because my Black Butte XXI is from 2009.
    I have a few beers of my own aging actually
    Black Albert (from 2007 so it's the original recipe)
    Black Albert (from 2008 so it's the current slightly altered from the original recipe)
    Stille Nacht (from 2010 - had one a few weeks ago, it was immense and should get better as it ages)
    Earthmonk (from 2008 - Flanders Oud Bruin - apparently quite acidic and sour so again hopefully some age will tone down the harsh tastes)
    Palo Santo Marron (from 2010)
    Pannepot (this years bottling - hopefully some age should make it even smoother)
    Chimay Blue, Old Foghorn, Bigfoot (all from this year as well)
    Traquair Jacobite Scotch Ale

Though looking through my beer box which has been untouched for a month or so I do have some forgotten about beer just begging to be drunk - Rogue Mocha Porter, Victory Storm King Stout, Rochefort 10, St. Bernadus 12, Odell Cutthroat Porter, and Cantillon Iris included. Looks like I won't have to get any more beer for christmas after all!

Also I just finished bottling my homebrew and it's not bad if I say so myself. It's like a normal bitter but it has an odd citrusy tang - a sort of geuze-like sourness on the aftertaste which I love.
    Last edited by René Artois; September 04, 2011 at 08:54 AM.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

I don't think I'd have the patience to age beer. I'd go mad.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Victoria bitter,any other beer shrinks your balls.American beer shrinks them at a accelerated rate.USA beer is more soda water then beer.