Thread: The Beer (Booze) Thread

Tribunus

Default Re: The Beer Thread

Went to Total Wine today after the gym and got a few beers. 7 for $17. Ouch.
    Counterproductive?

Regardless, nothing there I recognise!

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Viridios View Post
    It was a chance event which caused the first lagered beer to be brewed in Bavaria and later famously in Bohemia many moons ago. Now imagine the beer world without the cold loving yeast strain - ok macro-breweries would not be making rubbish lager but still (perhaps rubbish ale instead)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14592877

Saw that article yesterday. Pretty interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by therussian View Post

Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale
    Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
    Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
    Pyramid Apricot Ale (just to try it out)
    He'Brew Messiah Bold (for laughs)
    Flying Fish IPA
    Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

Yeah. i like stouts.

Nice. Luckily the US will get a bit warmer so stouts will fit the weather!

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    Counterproductive?

Regardless, nothing there I recognise!
    Haha yeah, a bit. I haven't been to the gym in about a week, and I was lifting a lot of heavy boxes in the morning so I wasn't really motivated. Decided to go get brews instead

Decided to start out with Young's Double Chocolate Stout. From a nitro-can, so the first few sips had that annoying metallic flavour. Eventually it settled into the double chocolate part. Not my favourite stout, but it's decent, and for ~$2.25 for a 15 fl. oz. can, a pretty good price for a single stout unit.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Try and get it from the bottle next time, it's much better.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Content Emeritus

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    An excuse to drink during the week? I'm there.

Edit: Maybe not. I might have to do a thing around that time. Doh.
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; August 25, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Viridios View Post
    It was a chance event which caused the first lagered beer to be brewed in Bavaria and later famously in Bohemia many moons ago. Now imagine the beer world without the cold loving yeast strain - ok macro-breweries would not be making rubbish lager but still (perhaps rubbish ale instead)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14592877
    i think i remember reading something of a promising future for brewing in argentina. was a little while ago but this about the yeast i hadn't seen

Well I wasn't able to make it to Flying Saucer for the new beer thing, Rahl. Probably for the best anyway, since I woke up feeling like absolute without having had any sort of alcohol. I'm basically face down on the keyboard right now, except when I cough, which is when I get a little elevation. Blows.

I was at the gas station earlier and grabbed some Czechvar though, figuring some beers couldn't make it any worse. Still the same as it always was (inoffensive, nothing special).

Also: It's going to be hot as this weekend. You ready for some 111 type temps with that nice Texas humidity? I was thinking I'd just lay on the kitchen floor, with those nice cool tiles, all weekend.
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; August 27, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Pfffft, Amstel, Heineken, genever and Sambuca...
    Everything is fine though.
    Miss me yet?

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

i flew in to virginia yesterday back in from germany. first thing i do, a buddy of mine drives me down to this bar near my university. they are having whats called Hurricane Happy Hour. hat a Nřgne Porter on tap. very good.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBurgerMaker View Post
    I woke up feeling like absolute without having had any sort of alcohol.
    Your body's trying to tell you something.

NOTICE
    This thread is not for those who think Corona, Dos Equis, Heineken, Guinness, Budweiser, Miller, any light beer, etc. are good beers. If you don't know what the difference is between a lager and a stout then this thread is not for you.

*** This thread is for true beer lovers: men who admire the full range of delicious styles available to us and aren't afraid to pay a little extra for that right beer no matter what our friends say. ***
    what about WOMEN who love beer?

i'm going to go a bit against you here. there's nothing like sitting under the Mexican sun on a hot day sipping a Dos Equis suits me just fine. but maybe that's because i'm a woman

and i'm running away now before i get kicked out of this gentlemens' beer club

Cool, TWC definitely doesn't have enough ladies.

Though 'lady' might be a bit of a push considering your username

Knize.Vladivoj's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by eroticdemonslayer View Post

i'm going to go a bit against you here. there's nothing like sitting under the Mexican sun on a hot day sipping a Dos Equis suits me just fine. but maybe that's because i'm a woman

There are no girlz on the internetz! It is a trap it is!

On unrelated news, hi, howdy, will you marry me?
    "The ten most dangerous words in English language are: Hi, I´m from government and I´m here to help." - Ronald Reagan
    My political profile
    My religious profile
    My games

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MadBurgerMaker View Post

Also: It's going to be hot as this weekend. You ready for some 111 type temps with that nice Texas humidity? I was thinking I'd just lay on the kitchen floor, with those nice cool tiles, all weekend.

Honestly, I can stand the heat really well. I often enjoy getting a good sweat. But this summer...is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by eroticdemonslayer View Post

Women are welcome too! And since you and I know of each other from a different time and a different place, and long ago, you have a special place here. We all know women can like good beer too.

There's nothing wrong with that. I'll drink a cheap yet refreshing beer whenever I can.

Not only for gentlemen. All sexes are welcome!

And sorry for not reviewing a beer for a bit. I may go and get some more today. Maybe tomorrow.

Women are welcome too! And since you and I know of each other from a different time and a different place, and long ago, you have a special place here. We all know women can like good beer too.
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by René Artois
    Cool, TWC definitely doesn't have enough ladies.

Though 'lady' might be a bit of a push considering your username

Quote Originally Posted by Knize.Vladivoj
    There are no girlz on the internetz! It is a trap it is!
    You're right, I'm just a bot created to address the issue of [EDIT]: so few[/EDIT]females posting on TWC

I went to a microbrewery last week and had a blueberry beer. (I felt like trying something entirely new to me) It had real blueberries floating in it. A bit odd. For my next beer, I just had a regular brew
    Last edited by eroticdemonslayer; August 30, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

One of my best TWC friends is a lady!

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by therussian View Post

Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale
    Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
    Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
    Pyramid Apricot Ale (just to try it out)
    He'Brew Messiah Bold (for laughs)
    Flying Fish IPA
    Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

Yeah. i like stouts.
    So I go out of town last weekend. I come back Sunday evening and find that my mom has guzzled down both the Old Rasputin Stout AND the He'Brew Messiah Bold. AND my grandpa drank an entire bottle of Southern Tier Jahva Stout. $11 down the drain. My grandpa didn't like the Stout, and my mom isn't any kind of beer connoisseur.

Anyway, the Pyramid Apricot Ale is alright. nothing special, but it's got a nice, light, and fruity. B
    The Flying Fish IPA is a standard IPA, again, nothing special but not that bad either. B-
    The Cottonwood Pumpkin Spiced Ale (reppin NC) is very interesting. Got A LOT of cinnamon spice flavour, and A LOT of pumpkin. Just like advertised. Like drinking a pumpkin pie. I don't think I could drink more than one in a sitting B+
    Last edited by therussian; August 30, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Knize.Vladivoj's Avatar Tiro

Dudes and dudette,
    how ´bout you and weizenbiers?
    "The ten most dangerous words in English language are: Hi, I´m from government and I´m here to help." - Ronald Reagan
    My political profile
    My religious profile
    My games