Page 1 of 229 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer (Booze) Thread

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Default The Beer (Booze) Thread

NOTICE
    This thread is not for those who think Corona, Dos Equis, Heineken, Guinness, Budweiser, Miller, any light beer, etc. are good beers. If you don't know what the difference is between a lager and a stout then this thread is not for you.

*** This thread is for true beer lovers: men who admire the full range of delicious styles available to us and aren't afraid to pay a little extra for that right beer no matter what our friends say. ***

My Beer Story...

What can I say about beer? I love beer. When I first started drinking beer I was like everyone else: I drank a lot of terrible light beer, I played beer pong...with terrible light beer, my beer drinking was limited to lagers and pilsners (and I didn't know what those were), and I didn't even think about getting something that was more expensive and/or different. This is not to say that I was against buying something more expensive and/or different, but I was ignorant about what else was out there. That is how the great majority of beer drinkers are out there and I am sorry for them.

When I think back about how I first started to drink more diverse and better beers, it came very gradually and was not a sort of revelation for me. There is a Texas brewery down here (in Texas where I live) called Shiner and they have about five "flagship" beers (bock, hefeweizen, blonde, light, dunkelweizen) and they come out with seasonal beers and anniversary beers every year as well. None of them are what I'd call exceptional but some of them are very good. Trying out these different styles I'd say is what got me on the right track to start trying out the more diverse and fascinating beers.

Since then I've become a sort of beer connoisseur. I am fortunate to have parents who live in Alaska which just happens to have a number of microbreweries that are all extraordinary, Midnight Brewing Company especially. One summer up there, I worked at a specialty beer and wine store. Over the span of the three months I worked there I tried 85 (I think that's the number) different beers. And oh, what a great summer that was. At my apartment, I have a portion of my beer collection on shelves on my walls. Here, I'll show you,

That's over 120 beers up there - and that's not all of them, if you recall the 85 I tried up in Alaska - divided to where they are from in the world. I try to get something new and interesting about two or three times a month and I'll review them (if you're a friend of mine on Facebook then you might have read them).

So, what's your story?

If you read through this thread and find that you are a true beer lover then don't be afraid to show off your pride to all of TWC with these images to put in your signature!

Also, if you'd like to check out my beer reviews, here is a link to all of them: http://beeradvocate.com/user/beer_re...a=BeardedRiker

Since there are some who wish to discuss other alcoholic beverages, I've changed the title of the thread so that discussion of those can be allowed.
    Last edited by Lord Rahl; February 20, 2012 at 04:55 AM.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Beer Thread

This thread had now become the best of TWC!
    Last edited by Leonidas The Lion; June 03, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Content Emeritus

I just wanted to get it started before I posted a huge thing. I've been wanting to make this thread for awhile and never got around to doing it. Expect major updates of the first post within the hour.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger

Didn't we have this kind of thread a long time ago?

Anyway, I drink Leffe brune quite regularly. Not too expensive and tasty.
    Last edited by HansDuet; June 03, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

What do you mean by good beers? I think plenty of cheap beers are good, but whether you could call them "good beers" is debatable.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Content Emeritus

I like a good stout.
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Wheat beers ftw!

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

I like most ales and stouts and living in england we have quite a wide range of them!

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    Didn't we have this kind of thread a long time ago?

Anyway, I drink Leffe brune quite regularly. Not too expensive and tasty.

I don't know if we did. I apologize if there was already one, but I guarantee you'll I'll keep this one going.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    What do you mean by good beers? I think plenty of cheap beers are good, but whether you could call them "good beers" is debatable.

"Good" is up to the person, but there is a difference between people who have tried, say, 100 different beers saying a beer is "good" and people who have tried, say, 10. Most people haven't tried more than a handful of beers so when they tell me that, "Krrrs Lahyt is my fayvrit brrr", then I know they don't know what the Hell they're talking about. I love Schlitz but I know it's not great. Man, a Schlitz would be awesome right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    http://gruut.be.webfarm.hostbasket.com/Oudesite/images/detail_amber_01.jpg

Dude, you're a gruut guy? That's hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    I like a good stout.

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-rasputin.htm

Greatest stout ever produced.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Up until quite recently I have stuck with the big brands. However, over the last few months I have been trying different ales, stouts and lagers that before now I never really thought about. I have taken a particular liking to Cains (My local brewery). The Raisin beer is particularly nice.

There are plenty of breweries here in Britain (Both large and small) and I imagine I will make my way around many. I'd say I am still quite ignorant of most beers though.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

For a cheap ass beer (or malt liquor I guess) that I think is good and will get you drunk fast:

Steel Reserve triple export. 8.1% ABV, and you can get a 24 oz can for about $1.20 (at least where I live).
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    Dude, you're a gruut guy? That's hardcore.
    The brewery is 500m from my door

I won't say I'm a connoisseur, but I've tasted about 50 beers (not counting regular lagers) and I've been developing a real taste for amber and dark beers, preferably somewhat sour.
    A few examples I like: Keizer Karel, Gruut, Gouden Carolus, Piraat, Gulden Draak, Barbar and a few others I can't remember the names
    As my regular thirst lessener I drink mainly Rodenbach and Geuze (Timmermans).

But I should really find me a good beer shop to get my hands on some of the more rare Belgian beers and imports. Especially imports are hard to find since well, we have too many local ones already

Please post LARGE images in spoilers! -Saint Nicholas
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Gentlemen. One of the finest beers I have drunk. A splendid mix of strength, potency and rich breadth of flavour. A pleasure to drink.

Bishop's Finger. My first true ale (drunk at the age of 16), and a splendid one at that.
    Last edited by Saint Nicholas; June 03, 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spoilered
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    How about we define the rights that allow a government to say that isn't within my freedom.

Indefinitely Banned

Beer iz gay. Drink cider.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Now that I can get on board with. I love a good cider!
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

I'm lost for words...

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    I must try this, i have tried imperial stout before and quite liked it, although I think I had the Guinness one.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    Up until quite recently I have stuck with the big brands. However, over the last few months I have been trying different ales, stouts and lagers that before now I never really thought about. I have taken a particular liking to Cains (My local brewery). The Raisin beer is particularly nice.

I don't know what variety of beers they have across the pond but local brews are always great. Is that raisin beer more sour than fruity or the other way around?

I've had some Flemish ales. Talk about insane. They smell like wine and are extremely sour. I'll admit that I don't like them but I'll have to try more to get used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    For a cheap ass beer (or malt liquor I guess) that I think is good and will get you drunk fast:

Steel Reserve triple export. 8.1% ABV, and you can get a 24 oz can for about $1.20 (at least where I live).

I remember drinking Keystone Ice... Those were the terrible days. You should try Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA. That thing will kick your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    The brewery is 500m from my door

Cool, I've actually had two of their beers. They were...different, tasty too.

I won't say I'm a connoisseur, but I've tasted about 50 beers (not counting regular lagers) and I've been developing a real taste for amber and dark beers, preferably somewhat sour.

I mentioned Flemish sours above. Have you tried those?

A few examples I like: Keizer Karel, Gruut, Gouden Carolus, Piraat, Gulden Draak, Barbar and a few others I can't remember the names
    As my regular thirst lessener I drink mainly Rodenbach and Geuze (Timmermans).

I've had Gruut, Gouden Carolus, Piraat (I got wasted off of three of those once), Gulden Draak...oh, there's the Rodenbach! So you have had Flemish sours. They're not my type. IPAs are my love. I'd say Americans who know beer prefer IPAs over everyything else.

But I should really find me a good beer shop to get my hands on some of the more rare Belgian beers and imports. Especially imports are hard to find since well, we have too many local ones already

Do it! Go out and try beers of all different styles. It looks like you've got ales down so I'd try some others.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post

Beer > Cider > Justin Bieber.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    I must try this, i have tried imperial stout before and quite liked it, although I think I had the Guinness one.

Guinness can't touch Old Rasputin. I've got an Old Rasputin XII which is brewed once a year and aged in oak barrels. I won't drink it until...I don't know...a very special day. I bought one stout from Deschutes Brewing Company, from Oregon, that says best AFTER 2011! How awesome is that?! Here it is, http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew...s/default.aspx
    Last edited by Lord Rahl; June 03, 2010 at 10:16 PM.