Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enjoyment out of Violence

Default Enjoyment out of Violence

The most bizarre thing happened yesterday at my school. There was fight , now in a school there is bound to be a fight every once , I don’t like but I have excepted it as a truth. Now normal fight probably will just be fought out on the felid . but yesterday it was different. Far back on the edge of the school is an outdoor lacrosse rink (picture a hockey rink with no ice just concrete), this is where the to guys decide to fight in the middle of this arena. So a crowd gathered filled up the three banks of bleachers and crowded the boards. I had seen this crowd and thought that there was a game going on , and went watch , but it was fight and the crowd of students cheered and yelled out with every successful blow.

This deeply disturbed me, usually when there’s a fight a small crowd may gather , but nothing ever like this , there had to be half the school out there . I just wonder if any one else has ever seen or heard of a fight like this. And also the two guy where fighting because on guy called the other guy stupid.

I really don’t understand why all the people that where there where so in to this fight , there was even a guy who filmed it. stuff like this kind of proves that we haven't really advanced that far form roman times
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Thats human nature. We are bound to regress to our prehistoric instincts. Once we see blood (most of us at least) we have this feeling like "Yeah! This is awesome! Hit hiim again!". And sadly there is nothing we can do to stop it. People will always be fasinated by violence, unless the violent action is being done unto themselves.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

yeahh its really common. I live in australia & ive seen about 3 of those BIG fights in my school. Dont get all worryed about it dude, were just human. People love watching fights, that hasnt changed throughout history. But i know what you mean, when you watch one you get an uneasy feeling in your stomoch.

I feel split down the middle. One, I don't like violence. I would rather sit and watch a great debate rather then a fight. On the other hand, I say give those that want to fight a sword and fight to first blood. I know it's strange, but it's the way I am.

For the record, I have fought with a sword to first blood many times. I impaled my friends hand clean through, a rush to the ER, 30 stitches, and 3 weeks later we where at it again. But, I usually loose, dang it. I think scars are sexy.

Wow, what country do you live in Frodo? Here in america you're ass would have been sued before you got to the hospital.

Yes, it's a bit unseemly to watch a crowd be entertained by a bit of blood, but I'll admit I share the same affliction. I wouldn't go out of my way to see a fight like that, but if it was right in front of me I probaly couldn't resist watching. It's like a train wreck, you just can't look away.

I live in the US. I didn't get sued, nor did I have to pay hospital bills. My friends are like that, it's all in good fun.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It might be fun to watch a fight like that, but I can tell you its a whole lot more fun to be in it!!

I remeber my grand fight with the gorilla-like center on our basketball team. We had never liked each other anyway and we got a little rough during practice that day. The coach was out of the gym after we wrapped up practice I had a soft drink in my hand and was walking toward the locker room. Ape boy took the opportunity to throw a shoulder into me knocking a little sideways as I threw my drink on him. Everybody on the team was already gathered around as I straightened myself and told him to hold on a minute while I took my glasses off.

Well he didn't wait and he body blocked me into the bleachers. I pushed him off and we started sparring. I threw a couple punches and connected lightly to the top of my head - nothing serious. Meanwhile, I didn't connect with any of my punches. This went on for about 30 seconds, a long time if you're the one getting hit!

Then it happened. He threw a right handed haymaker and I ducked right under it and threw a left hook of my own. I'm left handed so this was my most powerful punch. I threw all my weight forward and into the punch. With one punch I destroyed him. A 180 lb 6' 2" 9th grader, perhaps the most physical impressive boy in my entire high school was lying in a crying, bleeding heap at my feet. His right eye immediately swelled closed and blood trickled from a cut to the right of his eye.

Everyone in the county heard about that fight. I didn't tell anyone at the time, but I felt worse than he looked. My head hurt for days afterward, but he looked terrible!! His eye was as black and blue as you could ever imagine anyone's. We were both suspended for three days for that fight, but I was never in another fight again. No one wanted to try me!
    Last edited by Big War Bird; October 27, 2005 at 10:02 PM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Civitate

Fighting can be fun but it's really about what makes you fight...now this is going to sound like something that is straight out of star wars, but anger can lead to serious phycological and relationship problems. On the other hand if you enjoy fighting as a sport, I don't really see anything wrong with that.
    "In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality, while the living person is dependent and has no individuality." - Karl Marx on Capitalism
    Under the patronage of the venerable Marshal Qin. Proud member of the house of Sybian.

Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS)

Definitely some arena similarities here. People get pumped up at the sight of violence, it's an adrenaline rush. I'd say that's a natural biological reaction, not something that is going to change just because we become more "civilized." That said, hurting people for entertainment is hard to justify by most moral standards.

Civitate

That said, hurting people for entertainment is hard to justify by most moral standards.
    True, but it is a different matter altoghther if they are consenting adults.
    "In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality, while the living person is dependent and has no individuality." - Karl Marx on Capitalism
    Under the patronage of the venerable Marshal Qin. Proud member of the house of Sybian.

Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS)

Civitate

I don't think it's entirely negative to enjoy fighting in some contexts, but if you're hoping for someone to get hurt, then that's wrong. Fighting as a pure sport is very entertaining, and with good reason; it's one of the most challenging, varied, and unpredictable sports you'll ever find. It's also possible to conduct it with very low chance of injury. I don't think the need for that kind of entertainment should ever be so strong that people are OK with two guys just beating the crap out of each other without any safety precautions. I think the distinction always lies on whether you enjoy seeing the person throwing punches, or the one getting hit.

Under the patronage of Last_Crusader.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I detest all forms of unecessary and trivial violence. This is not because I am incapable of maintaining myself in a fight, indeed, I am quite certian I could emerge victorious, over most my age.

Frodo Lives :

That's horrible

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

I'm don't like street violence but I like grappling and sparring, I only fight for real if I must.
    But at the same time I think violence is fascinating

Oh and it's christianity that has turned us into wimps.

"murder is pure...you're the one who made it unpure" guess what movie that is from

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaho
    Oh and it's christianity that has turned us into wimps.
    Um....why would that be? Christian Europe in the Dark Ages through nearly the present day has been far more violent than any other place really. Not the fault of Christianity, but I'd hardly say that it helped at all. Plus you're speaking to a group of people on this forum who are largely not Christian, so it's an odd conclusion to reach.

Under the patronage of Last_Crusader.

Emperor Dimitricus's Avatar Royal Corps Of Signals

there are very strong links between lust and violence. the same part of the brain is stimulated in a fight, as is when you have sex.
    the theory behind this is as follows:
    humans obviously need sex to stay alive. sex is how we reproduce. we want to have sex with best people, the people with the best genes. the people most able to survive.
    in order to survive, we must be able to look after ourselves, like when we're attacked.
    this seems to be why when we see a fight, or when we are fighting, we get a sort of lust, commonly called the "blood lust".

I won't write a philosophical essay here... I'll just say:
    that's the way things work. Get with the program.

I was pretty much disgusted by violence when I was a kid,
    up until the time I realized it will never go away. Then I learned
    it's best to be as prepared for it as possible, but never paranoid.

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

There is a certain bliss to be found in a beating. You reach a point where there is no pain and you just go numb. Can be very therapeutic, but don't take my word for it:

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 20:30
    Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Captian Marcus Cornelius
    proves that we haven't really advanced that far form roman times
    How is this a bad thing?
    Violence is cool, 'cause it's all violent and stuff. fights are awesome!

Emperor Dimitricus's Avatar Royal Corps Of Signals

refer to my post to see why people think it is "cool".
    according to human morals, it is not cool. but then those people that preach those morals are responsible for wars and huge levels of violence. they need to secure their genes, and the genes of their followers (due to the fact that their followers either carry their genes or will help ensure their genes persist) and so use violence to get their needs.

procreation and violence go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bavarian Noble

Frodo Lives :

That's horrible
    Why? It didn't start out to first blood. It just evolved that way because we tended to cut ourselves a lot. It's all in good fun and we don't try to hurt each other. We where homemade armor, old police vests and helmets etc. All that fight are 18+ just in case of a serious injury. We used to use fake padded weapons, but they got boring after a couple years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast