View Poll Results: Do you like the inclusion of hero units in S2TW?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

115 46.56%
  • No

132 53.44%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: (Poll) What do you think of the "hero units" for STW?

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

Default (Poll) What do you think of the "hero units" for STW?

So, as we all know from the IGN preview, there are hero units in STW.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1093664p1.html

Based on "mythologized historical figures" (IGN gives the example of Benkei, the warrior monk), CA is basically introducing Romance of the Three Kingdoms-style generals into the game.

I'm just curious, what do people think of this? Are you afraid it'll turn into a sort of Warcraft III kind of deal? Do you think it's right to have romanticized generals in the Sengoku era?

Please discuss as well as vote
    Last edited by hitokiri2486; June 03, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: (Poll) What do you think of the "hero units" for STW?

Well, I can't say I'm absolutely pleased by something like this, but then again, it's true that since this game features a much more limited setting, a focus on micromanagement and individual soldiers is probably the best curse of action. Not to mention, I doubt they'll be as strong as it says in the article.

Also, the Sengoku has always had that "legendary" feel with known generals and leaders duking it out and stuff like that, so it's one of those things that can fit in this game, but it wouldn't have fit in say, Empire or Rome.

Oh, and Kensai were pretty much hero units in the original Shogun, so I don't see the big deal about this, everyone seems to forget they existed.
    Last edited by Nack; June 03, 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I don't like the idea at all. Total War is supposed to be a game based on reality and simple logic. No doubt there have been times when a single man has changed the course of battle, hell it's probably happened in every battle in history, but this kind of thing where 1 man is already designated as that hero? No. Just no.

If we're going to have battlefield heroes, it'll be like real life. Where that one footman accomplished a mighty feat of battle in his own right. Not this specialized crap.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

have you hidden the results?

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    have you hidden the results?
    I was about to ask that question myself. I thought I had the poll settings changed so that you could see the results after you vote.

How do you edit the poll after you've already set it up??

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.

Probably they'll be general units with elite cavalry stats, like in Med II

Quote Originally Posted by hitokiri2486 View Post
    I was about to ask that question myself. I thought I had the poll settings changed so that you could see the results after you vote.

How do you edit the poll after you've already set it up??
    You probably mistaken the 'show after poll ends' option for that. The default setting is that the vote is visible after a vote is made.

I don;t think you can. PM a moderator.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

If I had to give one answer, I'd say I am feeling hesitant about liking the idea. In Mongol Invasion, there were the kensai who could defeat an entire army by themselves. I really liked them back then when I played the game because I was a young teenager but I'm not exactly sure if I'd like them now. If they use the hero units correctly then I'm all for it. I'm simply afraid that the hero units will be a gimmick "just to have another feature" sort of thing.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Well, I miss a "We'll see option", if they are not too strong, I won't mind 'em, but if they are superheroes flying around the battlefield and killing everything in their path, I wouldn't like the idea at all.

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    If I had to give one answer, I'd say I am feeling hesitant about liking the idea. In Mongol Invasion, there were the kensai who could defeat an entire army by themselves. I really liked them back then when I played the game because I was a young teenager but I'm not exactly sure if I'd like them now. If they use the hero units correctly then I'm all for it. I'm simply afraid that the hero units will be a gimmick "just to have another feature" sort of thing.
    If memory serves, kensai weren't that powerful without an army to back them up, only maybe in places like bridges. I also doubt these new hero units will be much more powerful than the kensai.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

The poll is biased for the negative.

It would make more sense to be made in more neutral fashion, e.g. like that:

Question: How do you feel about inclusion of heroes in the STWII game?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    a) I believe that's a really good idea
    b) I think that's a turn in right direction, however I have my doubts about the execution of the idea (not sure whether it will work well)
    c) I don't know/Mixed feelings
    d) I think that's a turn in wrong direction, however I don't know all of the details concerning the topic, so it might not be that bad even if I dislike the idea based on the principle
    e) I believe that's an utterly idiotic idea, I can't see how anything good can come out of it, no matter how it's implemented in the game

Thereby I request that this topic is closed and new poll is made. The existing results of this poll shouldn't be published, as not to influence or persuade people towards a particular view beforehand.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    You probably mistaken the 'show after poll ends' option for that. The default setting is that the vote is visible after a vote is made.

I don;t think you can. PM a moderator.
    Okay, I hope the moderator responds to my PM quickly and fixes it.

Also, how is it negatively biased when it's a simple yes/no question?

Edit: nevermind, I can see how the wording for the poll choices can be misleading.
    Last edited by hitokiri2486; June 03, 2010 at 03:28 PM.

TheJian's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    LOL
    I have never seen a kensai who could defeat an entire army by themselves in all my years of playing.

So your telling me you could just make kensai and win the game......never

Anyway thats all the hero is, a Kensai IMO but we will see.

"Hero Units: - These are not one man armies that destroy everything that opposes them. These are highly ranked elite units, available at the top of the tech tree who exemplify a mastery of a given martial technique (E.g. sword fighting). They are able to take on other heroes, and are naturally very powerful against groups of enemies but are not invincible game-changers. These figures are also based on true historical accounts of great fighters who founded schools of combat, not myths that take on whole armies and win." Kieran
    Boys want quantity, while men seek quality.
    Mere external facts cannot serve as a ground of reasoning.
    What we are able to learn is greatly dependent upon what we already know. Different people with different amounts of information will UNDERSTAND different.
    "That until you understand white supremacy everything else will confuse you" ~Neely Fuller~
    There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in ever lasting ignorance. This principle is contempt prior to examination.
    They came before Columbus - Dr Ivan Van Sertima

TheColdTruth's Avatar Ordinarius

Voted for "No,I have my doubts" because of the very limited amount of info on them and from what IGN said seems like they can wipe out an army and I don't like the sound of that...but we shall see when more info comes out in the next 6+months.

Okay, I hope the moderator responds to my PM quickly and fixes it.

Also, how is it negatively biased when it's a simple yes/no question?
    It is not a yes/no question.

You have two choices which aren't equal, one is a 'yes, absolutely (no doubts)' and the other is 'no & don't know/not sure & perhaps yes, but ...'. This is a very simple poll engineering, the only purpose being a manipulation to skew the score towards negative response.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    It is not a yes/no question.

You have two choices which aren't equal, one is a 'yes, absolutely (no doubts)' and the other is 'no & don't know/not sure & perhaps yes, but ...'. This is a very simple poll engineering, the only purpose being a manipulation to skew the score towards negative response.
    1) You make it sound like I did it on purpose, which offends me

2) I conceded your point in the post you quoted, I guess you replied before my edit

3) If it's that big of a deal for you, I won't complain if a moderator shuts this poll down. Otherwise, just understand that I wasn't purposefully trying to manipulate the poll for some seemingly nefarious purpose, it was an honest mistake.

1) You make it sound like I did it on purpose, which offends me

2) I conceded your point in the post you quoted, I guess you replied before my edit

3) If it's that big of a deal for you, I won't complain if a moderator shuts this poll down. Otherwise, just understand that I wasn't purposefully trying to manipulate the poll for some seemingly nefarious purpose, it was an honest mistake.
    I don't blame the doer, but the action

No, nobody will shut down the topic without your agreement on the matter, therefore I've suggested that you PM a moderator to close this topic, so you can create a new one (and possibly with a poll showing results and without time limit, like you originally wanted?).

Perhaps it sounded negative to you, but it wasn't my intention.

Cheers

Not too keen on the idea, then again I don't have too much info about it, so it's wait and see. Worst case scenario, I just don't build any and/or mod it out of the buildings_unit db table.

CamilleBonparte's Avatar Senator

I don't have a problem with the poll at all. Do you like the idea, or have your doubts? If you're thinking "Eh, we'll see...", then you obviously have doubts. Neutral options in polls are lame. If you don't have an opinion then don't vote in the poll.

I like the idea as it is historic if they keep it reasonable. There are many great legends from this time, and it would be a shame not to see them represented in some way.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Doubts of course ! Like everyone else i presume,but wll just have to wait and see.
    Lets not lose any sleep over it eh ?
    Im sure CA will treat this hero aspect in a most realistic way as good as they can !

i hope !

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast