Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ninja.

Indefinitely Banned

Icon4 Ninja.

Would you like too see them included in the game?

Perhaps they could be a replacement for the 'brigand' faction we have seen in every Total War game previous..

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Ninja.

As an agent? Yes.

As a unit? Hell no, I just can't get my head around them as a battlefield unit. But I guess either way they'll be a battlefield unit even if I don't want to.

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

For historic reasons, if they gonna have a battle unit, I hope they're not too rampant, they ought to have a place in the brigand faction but completely dominate it. They'd probably assume the roles of spy and assassin. Or they'll merge those two roles into one but it takes an experienced ninja to assassinate.
    Last edited by NightEye; June 03, 2010 at 02:00 PM.

Yes, they were an essential part of siege warfare and even used in the odd battle [apparently].

It would be awesome to see them climb up walls and along roofs then open the gates etc, hopefully they will have stats that increase with each success.

This is one of those things we will need at least basic modding text files to suite everyone’s needs. Some people may not want them at all and some may think they are too week/strong.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They could be a unit, but hope no Hollywoodian nonsense
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: censor bypassing
    [Col] RO Citizen

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei Kiisu View Post
    Would you like too see them included in the game?

Perhaps they could be a replacement for the 'brigand' faction we have seen in every Total War game previous..
    At first I really didn't want to see them in the game as a battlefield unit but with night battles being in STW2 I was intrigued so I tried to find evidence of ninja being used on the battlefield and at sieges. Here is some instances of ninja/shinobi being used on the battlefield and sieges.

Udono 1562 - 80 ninja under their leader Tomo Sukesada were sent into Nagamochi's castle in a night attack were they killed 200 men in the garrison and killed Nagamochi and cut off his head. They also captured two of Nagamochi's sons which were used as hostages. Tokugawa Ieyasu sent a kanshajo to Tomo praising him for his action which is preserved in the archives of the Iwane.

Maibara 1561 - The ninja set fire to the castle before the assault.

Sawayama 1558 - A team of 48 ninja was starting fires before the final assault.

Sekigahara 1600 - At the siege of fushimi castle several hundred ninja help with the defense of the castle which left about 100 of them dead.

Battle of Tenno-ji 1615 - This was a pitched battle where the ninja formed up and fought beside the regular troops and even presented heads of the samurai they had killed in battle.
    As far as how they would of looked on the battlefield they probably would have worn tatami-do gusoku (folding armor) instead of the hollywood black pajamas. They would have carried katanas and possibly used shurikens to some degree as a distraction for tactical advantage to gain surprise as they close in for the kill. Their is some historical evidence that shurikenjutsu was practiced as a supplemental art to those who practiced kenjutsu. How effective would they be in combat I'm not sure but if someone is hit in the eye or throat it could be fatal. How would this unit transition to a battlefield unit? I would guess 40-80 per unit that is lightly armored with tatami-do gusoku (folding armor) that is a dark blue color. They would have a few stealth abilities where they could hide and scale walls with ropes. In combat when they charge a unit you would see a few ninja throw shurikens as distractions but thats it. The ninja as battlefield units would be vary rare and only recruit able if you have the Iga Province with a limit of maybe 2 to represent the Iga and Kōga clans. Down below is some pics of period ninja equipment.

Period Ninja armor.

Period shurikens at Odawara Castle Museum and not the Hollywood version either.

There is certainly enough evidence to conclude they were used on the battlefield and at sieges but were rare. I'm sure we will see them as agents and as a battlefield units in STW2.
    Last edited by Kinjo; June 19, 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

agents please.. but not hollywood nonsense
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; June 20, 2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Edited for Content
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    agents please.. but not hollywood nonsense
    What's Hollywood about the stuff I posted above? they were used in battle in rare occasions which is certainly enough evidence to make them a rare unit in a game.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; June 20, 2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Edited for Content Continuation

Quote Originally Posted by Reiksmarshal View Post
    What's Hollywood about the stuff I posted above? they were used in battle in rare occasions which is certainly enough evidence to make them a rare unit in a game.
    nothing you put is hollywood, i was talking about THESE ninjas

i dont know, becouse the info you posted is about undercover missions mostly, or very rare cases of 'normal' battle

so i dont know how CA will make ninjas burn castles and do those sneaky stuff
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

If Tokugawa Ieyasu used them on the battlefield I would want to as well, I mean the ninja yoroi armor just looks so badass. In a night siege you could send your main force towards the main gate while you use your 1-3 units ninja units to attack the rear of the castle and start burning stuff or to capture a tower that is raining death on your main force. In pitched battles they would fight next to the regular troops as they did at the battle of Tenno-ji or you could have them waiting in some woods to ambush.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I want super-ninjas that throw shurikens very very fast at people. They should be invincible and the only thing capable of stopping them will be the geishas.
    The geishas will say rude stuff to the ninjas making the ninjas very sad pandas.

KDK's Avatar Pro Rege Et Grege

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Af Göteborg View Post
    I want super-ninjas that throw shurikens very very fast at people. They should be invincible and the only thing capable of stopping them will be the geishas.
    The geishas will say rude stuff to the ninjas making the ninjas very sad pandas.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

IMO they should be an agent like Rakes (spy/assassin/saboteur) in ETW

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by CtrlAltDe1337 View Post
    IMO they should be an agent like Rakes (spy/assassin/saboteur) in ETW
    I agree that they should mainly be an agent but if you as a faction control the Iga Province you should be able to recruit a couple battlefield units to represent the mercenary element of the ninja. Hell look at the battle of fushimi castle where nearly 100 ninja died in battle, that's a little more then just an agent role don't you think.

Hell look at the battle of fushimi castle where nearly 100 ninja died in battle, that's a little more then just an agent role don't you think.
    how how many times more did that happen?

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

how how many times more did that happen?
    I don't know but they also were used in the battle of Hara castle and participated in the fighting with the regular troops in 1638, from what I can tell this was that last time they were used in battle.

although they would be badass, i dont think they had a proeminent role in battles other than a few times

but still, i hope CA adds them

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

although they would be badass, i dont think they had a proeminent role in battles other than a few times

but still, i hope CA adds them
    Well they would be rare units but whats 2-3 units of 80 ninja when you have battles with 56,000 troops on it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast