Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCGamer issue 215 today

Default PCGamer issue 215 today

I posted a small article on today's PCGamer's Shogun feature if you guys want to read it

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/71690

Default Re: PCGamer issue 215 today

I am pissed off cause I am subscribed and I didn't get it in the post!

Someone posted this on the Shogun forums:

There is a diagram of a castle siege with bulletpoints to give you a rough idea of how they will work plus a picture of Japan and lots of islands but I don't think that's a CA picture I think it is just a map to go along with the interview. The other pictures are artwork like in the IGN article.

Ok here we go, You'll be pleased to hear it's a good fairly lengthy interview with Kieran, Mike Simpson, James Russell and Jamie Ferguson who is on the board quite a bit and reads a lot of your posts those of you who post ideas for the games will be pleased to know

The article starts off immediately with a bit of shocking information that I had to read three times to make sure I understood it properly and er yes I did read it properly and er yes if it is implemented it will certainly make this game quite different from the previous ones

The interview goes quite deeply into how the sieges will work, it also touches on naval battles, battlefield landscape, the hero's, Generals special abilities and a few other general bits of info here and there. Obviously it's a little bare on facts because as the article makes it clear a lot of things are still up in the air and the creative juices are still in full flow.

Major points I can tell you about are :-

The turn times per year have been changed for this game.

The special abilities of the generals are totally different from anything seen in previous games.

What has been mentioned about sieges so far makes them sound dull, this article gives you a much better idea of how amazing they are going to be and from what I've read I think they will be one of the major highlights of the game (but admittedly they do sound like a huge challenge for the AI -more on the AI in a minute)

The trait system has been totally reworked from scratch to give the player much more control.

The Hero's are not as superhuman as IGN's article made out, they have been exaggerated a bit. To give you an idea of more of what the hero's are like, think of Caeser in his final battle against the Gauls. The Romans were outnumbered and losing and then right at the critical moment of the battle Caeser came out of his tent, mounted his horse and rode around the front lines shouting "WILL YOU FIGHT FOR ME?" and this bolstered the troops morale and swung the entire battle, this is the kind of thing these hero's will do but they also have physical abilities as well

This is by far sounding like it's going to be the bloodiest and most gory Total War ever.

There is more but I'll stop there

All of the above are basically just bulletpoints and are covered in much more detail in the interview so if you want to know what I know you'll have to buy the magazine.

One thing I do want to leak to you all because I think it's a very important point and you should all know about it, is something Mike Simpson says after James himself brings up the subject of AI :-

Mike acknowledges in the interview that the bane of the previous Total War games and of CA as a company has always been the AI, he goes on to say that CA have had enough of people complaining about the AI and "it's one of our key objectives to make sure that no one ever mentions the AI ever again in a bad light" -Mike I salute you for bringing the AI up in the interview when you could have just not mentioned it at all and I think I speak for all the fans when I say we are all very thrilled to hear that you place such an importance on the AI for this game and all the future Total Wars from here on in.

Shall I spill the beans on one other thing??????????????????????????????????????????

^ ye that was shireknight who started the topic

CamilleBonparte's Avatar Senator

After that "Shall I spill the beans?" thing he says the game is due out in 2011.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Spill the beans!
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

hahaha, poor bastard went to tesco at 7am to wait for a pc magazine

Jonesy012's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by zznɟ ǝɥʇ View Post
    I read that and thought my God what kind of fan is this. God help him if it turns out to be a flop, suicide watch much? haha.

I'm just going to wait for E3 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by zznɟ ǝɥʇ View Post
    I actually got there at 06:15 and didn't get my hands on a copy until after 07:30 but as I finish work at 06:00 and do my weekly shop on Thursday mornings on the way home anyway it wasn't a problem

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dude, spill the beans already. I live in America and cannot possibly go out and buy this magazine to read it myself. How about some juicy details?

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Lol ... I'd kill to get the latest PC Gamer issue!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    (ok, that's a joke )

Damn, why it's not avaible in my crappy country

Ehhhh ... not sure if it gets anybody into serious problems, but I wouldn't mind a PM just with the Shogun article. +rep for any assistance, I'm too desperate to read it!
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by LegionnaireX View Post
    Dude, spill the beans already. I live in America and cannot possibly go out and buy this magazine to read it myself. How about some juicy details?
    Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    Spill the beans!
    Guys it's in the thread.

What, that it will be out in 2011? Not really shocking news, I'd like to know what he means with this:

The article starts off immediately with a bit of shocking information that I had to read three times to make sure I understood it properly and er yes I did read it properly and er yes if it is implemented it will certainly make this game quite different from the previous ones

PubliusKhannus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
    What, that it will be out in 2011? Not really shocking news, I'd like to know what he means with this:
    Yeah I don't see how this is shocking news either, I mean it does satisfy the being different from other TW games category, but only by virtue of release date.

Check out my collection of poetry, prose, & comedy @ https://badwriter.net

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Just finished reading my fresh copy now. It looks pretty epic

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper View Post
    Guys it's in the thread.
    No, not really. shireknight's post pretty much just says "I've got a lot of juicy details at my fingertips but I'm just gonna state some vague generalizations about them."

What is this awesome new feature you speak of?

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Great teaser stuff guys,and+rep for you Shireknight !
    Last edited by MorganH.; June 03, 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Were there any ingame screenshots?

I won't expect screenshots or ingame videos before the E3, they must have some exclusive material for this, too.

If possible, I'd like to see the "diagram of a castle siege with bulletpoints to give you a rough idea of how they will work".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast