Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think that there is A god but....

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

Default I think that there is A god but....

which god is it? How do you know that, say, thejewish(Just using an example there) take on god is better then the other versions?

Currently, i'm starting to think that an outside power created the universe and then more or less let it run it's course.

What are your thoughts?

Note: I am NOT trying to shoot some ones religion down, just trying to have an open minded, well thought out debate

First Crusader's Avatar Senator

Try the faith that has the biggest effect on your life. If it does nothing to your behavior and soul, then there is little point in having it at all.

For example, if I were a Muslim, I wouldn't be a very good one. The Bible is hard to understand, but the Koran is just a load of gibberish to me. It probably makes sense to Arabs, but I just don't get it.
    Heresy grows from idleness.

No cause for such alarm. There are many ways for you to die - I'm just one of them.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Numbers of course, the Jewish/Christian/Muslim version of God is worshipped by more than half of the world. Also, I have heard some Hindus and Sikhs say that they consider their God to be the same as the Christian God, just worshipped in a different way.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55
    I have heard some Hindus and Sikhs say that they consider their God to be the same as the Christian God, just worshipped in a different way.
    You heard correctly. There are a lot of "Christian Buddhists" out there.

No cause for such alarm. There are many ways for you to die - I'm just one of them.

mongoose, you just have to go out into the world and find it out. I firmly believe that god is the christian god. But he would not draw that decision for you. You are free. Use your freedom.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca
    mongoose, you just have to go out into the world and find it out. I firmly believe that god is the christian god. But he would not draw that decision for you. You are free. Use your freedom.
    Well said.

God gave us the gift of free will. Use it.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    which god is it? How do you know that, say, thejewish(Just using an example there) take on god is better then the other versions?

Currently, i'm starting to think that an outside power created the universe and then more or less let it run it's course.

What are your thoughts?

Note: I am NOT trying to shoot some ones religion down, just trying to have an open minded, well thought out debate
    Yahweh, Allah and God are all the same..........I don't want to say person....aha. They are all the same God. The only difference is the interpretation of God by different religions. Christians believe God is X and wants us to do X. Jews think God is Y and want them to do Y. Muslims think God is Z and wants them to do Z. It really all depends on which type of interpretation you agree with the most.

Understand? But thats of course monotheism. Polytheism is something else

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by therussian91
    Yahweh, Allah and God are all the same..........I don't want to say person....aha. They are all the same God. The only difference is the interpretation of God by different religions. Christians believe God is X and wants us to do X. Jews think God is Y and want them to do Y. Muslims think God is Z and wants them to do Z.

Understand? But thats of course monotheism. Polytheism is something else
    There are A LOT of fundamental differences between these religions, even though Christianity and Islam are branches off the Jewish tree.

Thats what I meant. I was saying that Jewish, Christian and Muslim God is one and the same, but each religion interprates him and his teachings differently

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

I could not agree more with first crusader. It is in fact "not all the same", and even where there is similarity in words, there is not necessary similarity in conent.

An example from the are of constituional law (best I found so soon....): A German and a US American could come together and agree on the fact, that the right to live is one of the most fundamental rights. So we would write into our common constituion "All humans have the right tol live". But in fact, for the German, that would exclude death penalty (at least following the major doctrine in law today which includes the opinion of the courts and the majority in literature), and in the US, it would include death penalty.

So we'd write down the same thing. But it would have a different content.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca

right, but AFAIK, most of the religions say that those who do not follow will burn in "hell". If only one can be correct(Only one CAN be correct, they all say that the others are wrong) Then, chances are, i'm probably going to end up in "Hell". How can i avoid this fate?

or perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding the religions...

Thanks for all the help ful posts

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    right, but AFAIK, most of the religions say that those who do not follow will burn in "hell". If only one can be correct(Only one CAN be correct, they all say that the others are wrong) Then, chances are, i'm probably going to end up in "Hell". How can i avoid this fate?

or perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding the religions...

Thanks for all the help ful posts
    Christians don't believe that you go to hell if you don't believe in their sect(maybe some of those wacko protestants, but not real christians) They believe after you die you are given the chance to be forgiven for any sin you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth
    Christians don't believe that you go to hell if you don't believe in their sect(maybe some of those wacko protestants, but not real christians) They believe after you die you are given the chance to be forgiven for any sin you did.
    I'm sorry. That's not how it works. The idea that unbelievers go to Hell has been with Christianity since the beginning.

Mongoose, life is tough and uncertain. Just make the best of it and pick one.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by First Crusader
    You heard correctly. There are a lot of "Christian Buddhists" out there.
    Buddhists can have many different religions, they can even be atheists.
    It's more a way of life than a religion on it's own.
    I think God is also a Buddhist... but I watched too much South Park.

But he was talking about Hindu's and Sikhs.

Hindu's beleive in a single God who's different aspects are represented by many different figures (since no one figure can ever represent what God is).
    Sikhs beleive in a single God too.

I think all monotheistic Gods fall under one of two cathogories:
    - A God that created the universe, in all modern religions this is a "good" God.
    - A God that IS the universe (so we are part of this one God).

I think within each cathogory the Gods of different religions can be viewed as the same God.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Buddhists can have many different religions, they can even be atheists.
    It's more a way of life than a religion on it's own.
    I think God is also a Buddhist... but I watched too much South Park.
    No more south park for you!

But he was talking about Hindu's and Sikhs.
    I am aware of that. But the phenomoneau is the same. I just mentioned Buddhists because I recently read an article about Christian Buddhists.

Hindu's beleive in a single God who's different aspects are represented by many different figures (since no one figure can ever represent what God is).
    Sikhs beleive in a single God too.

I think all monotheistic Gods fall under one of two cathogories:
    - A God that created the universe, in all modern religions this is a "good" God.
    - A God that IS the universe (so we are part of this one God).

I think within each cathogory the Gods of different religions can be viewed as the same God.
    Not really. Just look at the differences between Jesus and Allah!

Jesus is the son of God, though really he is God incarnate. Allah is actually God, and again, you have to read my posts. It all matters on how followers interpret God.

Jesus is the son of God, though really he is God incarnate. Allah is actually God, and again, you have to read my posts. It all matters on how followers interpret God.
    I wasn't quoting you! I was talking about ERIK'S post!

And I was correcting you!!!

And I was correcting you!!!
    And I say you are wrong!!!

The Christian God and Allah are two very different people.

AHA! They are NOT people! Got you.

Really though, ask anyone. They are one and the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast