Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Whiff of Sulphur - WHITE

Default Re: Whiff of Sulphur - WHITE

I have been working on putting WoS in Empire for those that want to try.

Oskar_GT's Avatar Civis
    Quetzaltenango city, Guatemala, Central America

Hi rikktherek just wonder if can you enhance adding a little bit more smoke to your mod, specially to the naval guns? i mean, i saw in most movies dealing whit the subject of warfare in the Napoleonic era a more concentrated amount of smoke spiting from guns, and even more in the artillery guns. I know that maybe the movies are not the best resource of historical accuracy, but that is what sometimes we can get on the visual representation of the era. An example could be the Master and Commander movie effects on the naval side...
    "If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Makes a lot of sense (that cannon smoke should appear larger) This might be a bit puffy, but I kind of liked it.

Oskar_GT's Avatar Civis
    Quetzaltenango city, Guatemala, Central America

Quote Originally Posted by rikktherek View Post
    Makes a lot of sense (that cannon smoke should appear larger) This might be a bit puffy, but I kind of liked it.

Hey, thank you for the feedback and your time Rikk, just downloaded the mod, and looks awesome. As you and other members has discussed this on your tread, i think maybe the black powder used in those days have been much different and the effect on battlefields had been much ticker and concentrated than the kind used on the fire arms in our age, over which, by the way, i had no too much experience of first hand on the matter, but i can tell you something, here in my country is a custom that the 24th of December at midnight of every year, since the independence from Spain i think, we, the whole country, blow up tons of crackers and fireworks to celebrate the nativity, much the same as the Chinese people does on their new year celebration but some of those fireworks are too powerful and dangerous that can be considered ilegal in other countries. Anyhow, the thing is that the sound and the effect of all that "light" powder burn in less than half of an hour makes the night becomes even much darker and causes the smoke remains on the air very much till down, and doesn't fade away so easily even whit soft breeze blowing in the next morning; All that always makes me thought about the great battles of the black powder era. I mention all this, because some people think that the smoke on game must be much light, which i think makes lose the immersion factor that we search in all this games...Just A Thought.
    Last edited by Oskar_GT; March 12, 2011 at 01:06 AM.
    "If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Quote Originally Posted by rikktherek View Post
    I have attached a zip file with 3 mods that would replace any wiff of sulphur mod you have. One version adds cannonball trails, one removes walking and melee smoke and one has lighter smoke from muskets so as not to obscure the battlefield too much.

Disclaimer: The version of Wiff of Sulphur I am using has moved on considerably from the versions online. The version in the attached files here is smokier; musket and melee smoke were reworked considerably and I have updated the smoke from burning things (like ships.) I doubt I will be able to maintain it much as I will be turning my gaze towards Shogun 2 soon.
    Thanks very very much for the cannon ball tracers, going to give it a try now

hay rickktherek. awesome mod. i love the smoke on land battles. but in sea battles its slow down my pc really bad. and also i dont like it so much. i do think there should be smoke there but not that heavy smoke. more lighter smoke that dissapere more quickly

maybe you can make a version that reduce the smoke on sea battles? or just making it to go away more quickly.

also. if you can make it more blackish that will be awesome too.

hi rik. love the mod. been playing with it for a while. just one small thing for me is that i like walking dust but not melee dust. would it be possible to make a small mod that keeps walking dust, (even vanilla walking dust) but omits melee dust. (similar to your no dust mod). again thanks for the wos mod it really adds to the visual appeal of battles.
    just a general question. did ca decrease the smoke in ntw in one of their patches as i seem to remember when it first came out that there was a lot more smoke than recent versions
    will download wos empire when i get back to that game
    Last edited by von stoker; March 15, 2011 at 08:32 AM.

I have a fairly average comp. and I was really surprised at the quality of the effect and how little it affected my FPS excellent job.

Default Reply

Great video,that gives us knowledge about our past.

This a fine mod, and adds greatly to the game experience. Thanks a lot xD

Who has used this mod with LME? IO read someone saying they had but can't find that post now. I isolated this mod as the issue with my battles not loading in LME. Is there something I don't know? Thanks

Libertus

hey everybody,

I've used this mod together with LME and had no problems in land battles. However, during seebattles the game crashed frequently... is there a possibility of only enabling the changes in landbattles, and letting the seabattles untouched?

@Wolves In The Throne Room, as you see, I used it with LME and I had no problems concerning loading battles

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I have found using the version that removes dust is the issue with loading.all others work fine with LME
    Last edited by Chevalier IX; December 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    I have found using te version thst removes dust is the issue with loading.all others work fine with lme
    seems your're right - and seems that I've to correct my statement above; I played with WoS White, and had no problems. Today I tried out WoS 3.1 no meele or walking dust and also had loading problems with LME...

Hey everyone! I am using WOS 3.1 with LME 2.0 and all I can see is cannon smoke? Any help?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I tried this, it's nice, but there is a little too much smoke. After a while we see nothing. Although it's somewhat reallistic, we can't see the fancy uniforms made by the best modders here..
    So I tried the "light smoke" version, it's better, but then there is not enough smoke...

Can someone explain how to tweak one or the other to get a kind of intermediate result?

Mod conflicts;
    If the mod is not working well with other mods, it is likely that those other mods change the name of an effect that is used. I used all the vanilla names. If weapon effects aren't working, the difference is likely in the projectile tables. If explosions aren't working, it is likely in the projectile_explosions table. You would need to knwo a bit about modding to know where to look, but a comparison between the vanilla file and the mod would likely find them (the names are in the last few columns, if I recall correctly)

Altering the smoke;
    I am assuming this is musket smoke. You need a way to edit landbattles.xml. I use Notepad++ after I have extracted the file landbattles using the DB Editor (and replacing the file when I am done editing and saving the DB) You are looking for a line with the effect Uber_smoke_white. In that line there is a variable called thickness. Thickness can range from 0 to 1. Playing with this a bit should give you the results you are looking for. Personally, I use 0.7 for this effect. Expect to change thickness and run a full battle a few times before you get it where you want it.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

İ CANT use it with my ntw3 mod.cos of userscript case.if i save this in movie format this could work without userscript entry or mod manager?

Theoretically, saving it as a movie pack should work, provided it is compatible with NTW3.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

So playing with Thickness would be sufficient?

I was thinking about a parameter to increase the speed at which the smoke is dispersed. Is it controlled by thickness?