Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Whiff of Sulphur - WHITE

Default Re: Whiff of Sulphur - WHITE

I got the amazing opertunity, to see a 12 lber Napoleonic being fired. It fired both roundshot and canister. Now the smoke effects is what intriged me most. Unlike this mod or in NTW, the smoke floated off to the left and forwards. And also, the smoke didn't last for more than maybe 8-12 seconds. After that it was completely gone. SO it got me thinking, can WoS mod have a new 'realistic version' were the smoke only lasts for a short amount of time, maybe 10 seconds and floats away rather than lingering. That day I saw the cannon firing wasn't windy either. Its the force of the cannon that pushes it away. Cheers, MB
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

10 seconds or so is doable. I wonder if there is a different effect in real life when multiple cannons are firing constantly (kind of like a saturation) A single musket firing doesn't leave much smoke, but many apparently did. I, too, might have a chance in the near future to fire some of the actual equipment, so I will ponder this further.

While I am thinking about it, the rolling effect of the smoke is something I would love to have done. The game decelerates the effect to zero after a certain distance is travelled. Gravity and wind are the only effects that effect it after zero. I would love to slow the effect to say, 2 or 3 meters per second but can't. The best I can do is alter the percentage of the wind speed it uses.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Marshal Beale♔ View Post
    I got the amazing opertunity, to see a 12 lber Napoleonic being fired. It fired both roundshot and canister. Now the smoke effects is what intriged me most. Unlike this mod or in NTW, the smoke floated off to the left and forwards. And also, the smoke didn't last for more than maybe 8-12 seconds. After that it was completely gone. SO it got me thinking, can WoS mod have a new 'realistic version' were the smoke only lasts for a short amount of time, maybe 10 seconds and floats away rather than lingering. That day I saw the cannon firing wasn't windy either. Its the force of the cannon that pushes it away. Cheers, MB
    Hello Beale - Do you happen to know what kind of powder they were using? I suspect they were using a more modern/smokeless powder and if so, the smoke will dissipate quickly. As i am sure you know, the true 'black powder' used in the period was much more smokey - and fouled the guns (which is why your idea about graphics showing fouling around cannon muzzles is a good one!). Here's a small cannon apparently firing black powder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEIz...eature=related The smoke moves off only due to wind and you can see it 'clinging' to the ground in front, and on a still day, with several larger guns firing, the smoke would be thick for quite some time. Rik's comment about "saturation" is probably true too, especially with crowded battlefields where thousands of men in one place would reduce the movemement/flow of air.

So, for me, the current version of the mod is realistic for powder of the period. The art of the time and the eye witness accounts of the inability to see through the smoke within a few minutes of the battles starting, shows this clearly, I think. I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents .
    Last edited by Pdguru; September 21, 2010 at 08:45 AM.

Laetus

I do apologise if this has already been asked, but is there a way to turn the tracers for muskets and cannons back on in 3.1? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Chattox View Post
    I do apologise if this has already been asked, but is there a way to turn the tracers for muskets and cannons back on in 3.1? Thank you
    3.1 enhanced should do that.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by rikktherek View Post
    3.1 enhanced should do that.
    That's what I'm using, but still no tracers unfortunately. Makes it awfully hard to tell who's shooting at who! WoS and one of the grass mods are the only visual mods I have installed currently, and the only other mod I have apart from them is the Ultimate Sound Mod v3. Could they be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    Hello Beale - Do you happen to know what kind of powder they were using? I suspect they were using a more modern/smokeless powder and if so, the smoke will dissipate quickly. As i am sure you know, the true 'black powder' used in the period was much more smokey - and fouled the guns (which is why your idea about graphics showing fouling around cannon muzzles is a good one!). Here's a small cannon apparently firing black powder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEIz...eature=related The smoke moves off only due to wind and you can see it 'clinging' to the ground in front, and on a still day, with several larger guns firing, the smoke would be thick for quite some time. Rik's comment about "saturation" is probably true too, especially with crowded battlefields where thousands of men in one place would reduce the movemement/flow of air.

So, for me, the current version of the mod is realistic for powder of the period. The art of the time and the eye witness accounts of the inability to see through the smoke within a few minutes of the battles starting, shows this clearly, I think. I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents .

Ahh, excellent point. Modern powder, why didn't I think of that. Yer, your correct, and I knew this aswell Why didn't I think of that. Its was down in a historic town, they were firing a 12 lber, I dropped by to see, forgeting that they would have used modern powder. Anyway. Cheers, MB
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Quote Originally Posted by Chattox View Post
    That's what I'm using, but still no tracers unfortunately. Makes it awfully hard to tell who's shooting at who! WoS and one of the grass mods are the only visual mods I have installed currently, and the only other mod I have apart from them is the Ultimate Sound Mod v3. Could they be the problem?

Are you talking about tracers as they were in Vanilla? Maybe we aren't thinking about the same thing.

*edit* sorry for the bother, I recently reapplied everything from the better renders mod and forgot the the "Duffers" file provided was a bunch of game stat changes

sorry for the inconvenience...
    Last edited by BazzBrother; September 24, 2010 at 06:19 PM.

If I may be a bit indulgent, I have uploaded some videos of actual black powder weapons being fired. Powder was put in the pan from a horn after loading, so it is not strictly accurate, but safer. The ramrods were wooden, too, which is a bit unusual, not that one could tell in the video. Misfire rates were high. Please forgive the missus as she gets a bit verbose as the pistol startled her a bit.

(I have tried and tried to put the smoke/spark effect over the pan into my mod, but have had no luck )

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Rik - good vids - you made me smile; Your missus made me laugh!

Makes me wonder... perhaps the movement of smoke is what we might do differently. It's thick and lasting but even in the slightest breeze it's swept away. Is there a way to have the smoke move quite quickly away from the firer (man or cannon) but last a long time - so that smoke becomes a problem not because it stays put, but because it lasts long enough that it's a problem downwind - meaning I'm blinded not by my own smoke, but by that of others upwind of me... potentially a hundred or more yards away? See what I mean? It could make smoke a strategic element of planning positioning...

SirGejor's Avatar Biarchus

Very good videos mate
    OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE
    Veni, Vidi,Vinci - Gaius Julius Caesar...

PAiMONiA's Avatar Civis
    Everywhere...Everytime, Realm of Immortals

Nice Mod Mate !!!

I downloaded all the files in the first post which one is the best?

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

is any of these multiplaye compatible?

The un-enhanced version in 3.1 modifies no files that impact gameplay mechanics, but I don't know what makes something multiplayer compatible or not.

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

Icon9 Re: Whiff of Sulphur - WHITE

Quote Originally Posted by rikktherek View Post
    The un-enhanced version in 3.1 modifies no files that impact gameplay mechanics, but I don't know what makes something multiplayer compatible or not.
    first of all it cant be mod pack has to be movie or patch and shouldent change any gameplay stuff i like this mod but i only want the smoke not the no tracers thing =P since i play alot of multiplayer and whitout tracers u cant see where the shots are going

Brips's Avatar Ducenarius

Install instructions? Not really clear but the work is awesome! Which files are optionals and needed?
    Just write a note above the files...
    All map textures improved mod(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395355
    Real crazy medieval music (4pages!):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389092
    More war horn sounds(MTW2,DLV)!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229015
    More Loading screens MEGA pack Team!(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389893
    Mods Oblivion and Fallout3:
    Tape "Brips" on nexus then go to author name "Brips".