Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Colonialism Total War - Previews & Youtube Trailer !

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Colonialism Total War - 1st Preview included !

hehe nice

can you maybe show a pic of the regions map, id really love to see it...

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

i thought i showed the regions map :o
    what do you mean ? map_regions ? no i wont show it because of a secret ^^
    later i will...
    but what is it , that you want to see ?
    i mean in the first post, there is also a regions map kind of
    Leader of Colonialism Total War
    Thread with first Preview
    First Youtube Trailer

I will definately play this mod! If you need any help on information about African units (Great Fulo, Benin, Oyo, Kongo) please holla at me. Could you add one more African faction. The Kaabu Empire. They were the successor to the Mali Empire and Great Fulo's biggest rival. Right now you have Africa very balanced. Morocco against Barbary States, Oyo against Benin, Kongo had to contend with the Portuguese. But Great Fulo needs a foil and historically the Mandinka and Fula never got along (one of the reasons the Mali Empire collapsed). I have a butt-load of info on all these states with the exception of the 2 north african ones WITH pictures. What do u say?

if you can give me unit info i will be happy, i need info, which units, with which armour they used...
    but one thing... Oyo is not in the mod ! where did i wrote about oyo ?
    i have benin, kongo, fulo but that was it... i have no more african faction except rebel factions, whcih are not really factions...
    First Youtube Trailer

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

what do you mean ? map_regions ? no i wont show it because of a secret ^^
    yeah thats waht i ment.

i mean in the first post, there is also a regions map kind o
    thx, i saw the map on the first page. now i have an idea of how it will look like...

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

Quote Originally Posted by nessj999 View Post
    if you can give me unit info i will be happy, i need info, which units, with which armour they used...
    but one thing... Oyo is not in the mod ! where did i wrote about oyo ?
    i have benin, kongo, fulo but that was it... i have no more african faction except rebel factions, whcih are not really factions...

my bad. i just looked back at the faction list. i thought for sure i saw oyo. i see you have
    Kongo
    Great Fulo
    Benin
    Morocco
    Barbary States

i think those factions by themselves represent africa pretty well. Maybe the Barbary States should be a non-playable rebel faction. They don't seem to have been a unified state and kind of a pariah on the world state (piracy). Instead of adding Kaabu, why not just replace Great Fulo with Kaabu. It was more powerful during the time period and is essentially the Mali Empire with GUNS. Replace Benin with Oyo. At the start of the 17th century they fought a war that ended in a stalemate (Benin was still pretty tough). They are very similar even directly related. I think you would rather Oyo however cuz it has all the exoticism of Benin (architecture, religion) with a strong cavalry element. I'll start uploading pics of possible Kongo units soon. Let me know what you think. Whatever you decide, I'm more than willing to help anyway I can.

CHEERS

i will think about it, i cant guarentee, and i think Benin stays for sure.
    Because it was the main Slave trader nation in africa, thats what i read, and its on a better position...

you know i would love to add Oyo... but i dont know whas more important, Oyo or Pirates...
    i guess many guys want also pirates, me too...
    maybe Oyo as an rebel faction, with also Events or something like that...

about Fulo i will think
    thx a lot
    First Youtube Trailer

i will think about it, i cant guarentee, and i think Benin stays for sure.
    Because it was the main Slave trader nation in africa, thats what i read, and its on a better position...

you know i would love to add Oyo... but i dont know whas more important, Oyo or Pirates...
    i guess many guys want also pirates, me too...
    maybe Oyo as an rebel faction, with also Events or something like that...

about Fulo i will think
    thx a lot
    Well you are the one doing all the hard work, so I completely respect your decision. I'd still love to help. I was kind of confused on which would be better (Oyo or Benin). Benin is more famous, but it actually didn't sell many slaves. Oyo sold WAY more. Benin only sold female slaves then cut off that supply once they stopped expanding in the 17th century. Oyo however sold many slaves throughout its existence and pulled troops from as far as Benin all the way to Dahomey. Whatever one you want to do I will help with.

As far as slave trading states, the biggest in Africa during this period was likely Kongo which you already have. The biggest single slave trading entity in WEST AFRICA was definately Kaabu. It had access to the Portuguese and its society was centered completely around war. The Mandinka of the region considered any occupatin other than war a taboo (that's what women and slaves were for). They were constantly at war which pissed off the Fula around them enough to launch a full-scale invasion. In the siege of Kansala (Kaabu's captital) a coalition of Muslim Fula and Muslim Mandinka numbering about 35,000 attacked the city. Kansala had only 2000-5000 defenders who held off the siege with sword and musket for 3 days. The king ordered the fortress gates open and waited until most of the enemy were inside. Legend has it that the women of the city jumped into wells rather than be slaves. At one point there were so many fighting in the city that the dead could not fall (according to legend). At this point, the king ordered that all 7 gunpowder stores in the city be ignited. The explosion killed all the defenders and most of the Fulo army. Of the 35,000 attackers only 4,000 made it home. This was in 1867 and the battle of kansala is called Tourban Kello (Final Battle) by the Mandinka. in short, these guys were TOUGH!

Strongly urge inclusion of Kaabu over Fulo.

Below are some pics for possible Kongo Units.

Levee Bowmen - these are the bulk of any Congolese army and consist of local men called up to service.

EssiKongo Musketeers - Kongo adopted muskets early and used them well.

EssiKongo Canon - a few cannons were to be found in Kongo's army as early as the 17th century

EssiKongo Bodyguard (bottom far right) - these professional troops carry a bow a scimtar shaped sword

Another pic of EssiKongo bodyguards

EssiKongo Knights with general (Usually belonging to the Knightly Order of Christ) best troops in region

EssiKongo Fortification

Tomista Mercenary Knights (Bottom center at foot of steps) - these are Portuguese from Sao Tome

Tomista Mercenary Musketeers (Bottom far left) - Well trained and ruthless

Loango Spearman (Left) - once subjects of the manikong, now just a close relation

Loango Archer (Right) - a less fearsome version of the Kongolese bodyguard

Some other units are below but I don't have pics for them.
    Imbangala Raiders - armed with sword and covered in red fat of people (they were cannibals) or pigs
    Anziku Axemen - BaTeke warriors whose Kongo name means "frontier people" armed with an axe
    Jaga Mercenaries - Yaka tribesmen armed with an axe
    Ndongo Warriors - Armed only with a curved sword who specialize in individual combat
    Last edited by MansaSakura; December 07, 2010 at 06:11 PM.

Wooow THANKS a lot indeed

one thing i cant click on the bodyguard picture only on all others...

i give +rep, can you also find benin units, or ar they more or less the same ?
    and where the hell do you find this ? i couldnt find anything in internet, and i
    have no books about
    First Youtube Trailer

Wooow THANKS a lot indeed

one thing i cant click on the bodyguard picture only on all others...

i give +rep, can you also find benin units, or ar they more or less the same ?
    and where the hell do you find this ? i couldnt find anything in internet, and i
    have no books about
    thanks for the rep. I've had most of these pictures for a long time. I'm a heavy duty researcher on pre-colonial Africa. I did most of the wikipedia pages on the Mali Empire, Kingdom of Kongo and a whole bunch other states. I just got tired of knowing nothing about my history other than slavery. The pics are online (that's where i found them), you just gotta know what terms to put into google (Kongo instead of Congo, names of certain people. Below is a picture of the Kongo flag.

I have pics on Benin's army too. Will put them up shortly. The one that's gonna be a tough nut to crack is Kaabu or Fulo. I got like zero pics on either one, but a butt-load of info on Kaabu and how they fought. Plus I can use my pics from the Mali Empire to give you an idea of how they dressed.

Keep up the good work and let me know on which nations you are doing: Benin or Oyo (I have more pics on Benin than Oyo btw) and Kaabu or Fulo (I got good descriptions on Kaabu soldiers and unit names.

Speaking of unit names, I have them for most units. I figure I can get that to you later once we nail down which units you want.

CHEERS

so, i take benin for sure
    and fulo was islamic right ?
    and kaabu animist ?

but anyway i would love the benin pictures,
    and thank you again
    First Youtube Trailer

map is verf verf diffrenent but it looks very good and i love your unit
    Turk Total War Cemiyeti....TTW

ANATOLIAN PRINCIPALITIES MOD PROJECT

Fulo was Animist too at this stage, but the people they governed were increasingly muslim after the 18th century. This led to a violent Islamic revolution in 1776 where the Animist Fula (Pulaar in this region) were replaced by Muslim Fula. the state that replaced it was called the Kingdom of Futa Toro. Kaabu was Animist all the way and in fact Anti-Muslim. By the 19th century even the Mandinka started converting (As they had done in Mali in the 16th and 17th centuries) and that is one reason that Kaabu was conquered. But to answer your question, both states (Kaabu and Fulo) were Animist.

Will get to work on Benin soon.

suggest benin units...

Benin/Edo flag

Edo Palace Guards (two center figures)

Heavy Edo Spearmen (far left holding spear and shield)

Edo Musketeers

Edo Javelineers (far right holding two javelins))

Another Edo Javelineer (center)

Plaque of Edo Javelineer

Oba's Bodyguard (far right with leopards) NOTE: Niether the Oba (king) nor any of the Edo/Bini soldiers were cavaly. The oba is on horseback only at ceremonies.

Edo Swordmen (center figure. the guy on the left is some poor Igbo who thinks cavalry's gonna save him from the Edo army)

Leopard Hunter's guild (holding javelins and armored with anteater scales)

I think that about covers Benin. some other units they would have had access to were...
    Yoruba Cavalry Archers
    Igbo River Boat Archers
    Portuguese Matchlock men

did the benins use animals in anyway ? did kongo ? did fulo ?
    because it would make a nice feature...

and many thanks

btw, now when you say it, i think i will make Fulo
    and i will add Kaabu as a rebel faction, with events like
    when they capture towns were kaabu was..

and about islam/animist
    what would you say if fulo can be converted by morocco ?
    when it reaches some percents of islam, then islamic troops
    come, and automatically a battle starts, and when you win, you stay
    animist, when you loose, fulo converts to islam
    First Youtube Trailer

did the benins use animals in anyway ? did kongo ? did fulo ?
    because it would make a nice feature...

and many thanks

btw, now when you say it, i think i will make Fulo
    and i will add Kaabu as a rebel faction, with events like
    when they capture towns were kaabu was..

and about islam/animist
    what would you say if fulo can be converted by morocco ?
    when it reaches some percents of islam, then islamic troops
    come, and automatically a battle starts, and when you win, you stay
    animist, when you loose, fulo converts to islam
    The Oba's guard did use leopards as guard animals. Kongo did not (African elephants are too wild to domesticate). Cavalry didn't work in the Benin area or Kongo because of disease.

As far as you choce, I gotta say I'm disappointed, but its your mod. I don't have really any info on Great Fulo. Why not make Fulo the rebel faction since they cover kind of a wide area. Kaabu is more localized and centralized. And the Fula who conquered Kaabu were from Futa Djallon (in Guinea close by Kaabu) whereas Futa Toro (the kingdom that Great Fulo turned into after the ruling dynasty was wiped out and replaced by Muslim Fula) is in Senegal. and that event didn't happen until 1867.

As far as Fulo being converted, it's kinda like giving Kongo elephant archers. i like the mechanics you describe (percent of population rise up and attack) though. Fulo would have a descent cavalry element for sure (Cavalry archers, Cavalry skirmishers and Unarmored Cavalry with lances). I don't think they ever used guns though or at least not to the extent that Kaabu, Benin and Kongo did.

One more reason to add the Fula/Pulaar as a rebel faction in Africa (instead of the Empire of Great Fulo) is that you find Fula damn near everywhere in West Africa. They are as far west as Senegal, as far east as Chad and as far south as Cameroon! They are pastorialist (which is why they are so good with cavalry).

PLEASE go with Kaabu. I at least have an inkling of what their flag might've looked like. I got nothing on Great Fulo. Plus the Mandingos (Kaabunke) are just more bad ass. They're like Spartans with tans!

I really love the last line infantry unit with the white coat, it looks AMAZING !!

thanks garudamon !

@ mansa
    the reason i took fulo is because they were not such a small empire...
    i need an empire which is supposed to be vast , because it has to fill many lands.
    from senegal to gold coast ...
    when i make fulo as a rebel faction, Kaabu will be conquering all of Fulos Rebel Citys in a time,
    and it would be more unhistoric, as if fulo conquers the kaabu rebels, because thats what they really did in history,
    right ?

What are Mandingos ?
    units ?
    i could add them nevertheless... just s rebels.
    First Youtube Trailer

thanks garudamon !

@ mansa
    the reason i took fulo is because they were not such a small empire...
    i need an empire which is supposed to be vast , because it has to fill many lands.
    from senegal to gold coast ...
    when i make fulo as a rebel faction, Kaabu will be conquering all of Fulos Rebel Citys in a time,
    and it would be more unhistoric, as if fulo conquers the kaabu rebels, because thats what they really did in history,
    right ?

What are Mandingos ?
    units ?
    i could add them nevertheless... just s rebels.
    Well Fulo was bigger, I'll give you that. But bigger doesn't always mean better (or even really centralized) as far as Africa is concerned. Still I'll stop bugging you about it. I can't mod; I'm just a researcher. If filling up vast areas is a problem I can consult you on what to put where as far as the map is concerned (historic cities, capitals, etc.). BTW, it WOULD be historically accurate to have Kaabu conquering Fula lands cuz that's what they did during the time period of your mod. Fulo conquered other Fula/Pulaar peoples and the Wolof around what is today Senegal and Western Mali. They didn't conquer too many Mande peoples cuz they were migrating/conquering southward to take advantage of Portuguese trade. Plus in the scheme of power, Kaabui was just stronger. But i'll leave that alone.

Mandingo is a term originated by Portuguese/Spanish explorers and colonizers that describes any people that speak Mande. This includes Mandinka (founders of Mali Empire), Malinke (in Guinea and Senegal), Dyula (of Wassulu and Kong Empires in Ivory Coast) and Bamana (of Segou and Kaarta Empires in modern Mali).

Sahel region units (Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Niger, Chad)
    Brakna Raiders (Tuareg Cavalry with hide shield and sabre, specialize in slave raiding)

Manga's Bodyguard (Padded or Chain Mail Armored Cavalry Protectors of Fulo emperor, armed with bow/arrow and sabre)

Jolof Ceddo (Unarmored cavalry warlords of the Wolof using armed with bow/arrows and lance)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Bambara Spearmen (unarmored infantry with spear)

Bambara Muskets (unarmored musketeers with sabre)

Wagadougou Raiders (Mossi cavalry armed with spears on left)

Kanuri Cavalry (Chain mail cavalry with wooden shield and lance)

Kanembu Infantry (unarmoed infantry with wood shield, javelins and spear)

Baguirmi Lancer (Padded Armored cavalry with double-pointed lance)

Munga Bowmen (unarmored archer on left)
    Last edited by MansaSakura; January 16, 2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: pictures