Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Caius Britannicus Presents: "THE CRUSADES"

Looks great. I just came to think about the multiplayer mod that some people were working on some time ago. Wouldn't it work very well with this mod conserning it only got 2 factions?

Good point. The ultimate Chess Game!!!
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Caius, u should join the Chivalry Total War team(srry my favourite mod) and make units for the mod!!!
    Awesome screens btw

So that makes two people suggesting Chivalry, one person Bzyantium and a third Crusader Total War. Well, I feel better about my work now especially if people think I should be joining so many mod teams.

As I stated before, I much prefer to do this on my own. I have had offers from people to help me out, and thank you to them that offered, but I'll be going this one alone. Or maybe with the help of one or two people that showed interest in the mod from the RTR team (simply because I know them and what they can do).
    Last edited by Caius Britannicus; October 26, 2005 at 05:33 PM.

Well I wanted to have a unit done for today. But other things called for my attention. I do have something to show tho. A crusader shield that I threw together for a unit.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

If thats the actual texture, awesome. Nice to see its battleworn, kinda would be odd to see crusaders with pristine armor marching 1000 miles from France

yes that is the actual texture (and resolution of the shield texture) you will see in game.

Egad, my mission to find my two missing RTW disks MUST be completed! This mod BEGS to be played on my new compy! BEGS!
    Wonderful work Caius, do you have a map yet?

no map as of yet. I'm going to do all the units, and probably release a beta for balancing. I.e. custom battles. Then I'm gonna do the campaign. Or I may just ask BDH to make me a map.... I haven't decided yet.

You could ask sel to use the Syria: Total war map. It covers the major areas of action, including constantinople.

Quickie preview of a new Saracen Spear Unit.

Saracen Warriors Battle Crusaders

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

Oh my God ... I think my jaw has hit the ground and shattered into a gazillion pieces.

That is one hot mod. Oh man, this is gonna be GOOD. Really good. But, since you have 2 factions only, how many units do you intend to make for the mod?
    Last edited by Faenaris; October 28, 2005 at 04:40 PM.
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

CHAINMAIL! Heavy armored eastern warriors. Huzzah!

Not to mention they look amazing and the combat seems very epic, just in the screenshots.

Only 2 factions? I beg you to reconsider! The largest part of what makes mods fun for me specifically is a large amount of variety! Lots of choices, lots of factions, lots of individual and unique and most importantly FUN TO USE (but not overpowered) units for each faction.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

No way, there are enough tons o' faction mods anyway. my favorite part of Total war games, especially MTW, was when there were just 2 major powers left, you and someone else, and it came down to an epic showdown! This mod can be like that from the start! anyway, as long as there is a good variety of units within the factions, and a good number of mercenaries to hire, this will be a very refreshing experience.

I hope you make it with less than 100 provinces too, say 70 or 80.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Well youre the exact opposite of me then. My favorite part is the very beginning where there are lots of small kingdoms and countries all around you waging small scale wars trying to establish themselves as a small kingdom first before trying to become a world power. I would always get bored and quit after there were too many large empires, I didn't like the large amount of micromanaging and monotony that would come hand in hand with controlling a large empire and fighting another large empire with all or most of the unique unforunate kingdoms already defeated and gone from the game. Rome Total War doesnt do this very well because from the very start it already has large empires dominating an entire corner of the map (like the Egyptians or the Seleucids or the Gauls). I didn't like that, I was always for the idea (if it were possible) to add, say, one or two smaller kingdoms sorrounding a larger one. For example, Egypt...in my utopian mod there would be a Judea and an Arabic faction, fully playable and complete with their own units and working AI (I.E. they dont just sit there and let themselves be conquered like rebels) all ready to balance out the near-inevability of Egypt dominating that corner of the world and going after (and usually) defeating Seleucia. In my mod it could be quite feasible that Judea and Arabia take good chucks out of Egypt and rise to power themselves. Now thats variety.

On the other hand you have a faction like Selucea which was done very well from the beginning by CA, right along the same lines that I think are correct. They start out as a large sprawling empire (and an even larger, more sprawling empire in some mods...) but theyre sorrounded by Pontus, Armenia, Egypt, etc. so everytime you start a game its a toss up of who will conquer where and who rises to power where in that corner of the map. Anyway, good luck and I'll try the mod no matter which direction you choose to go and I think your models look wonderful so far.

Edit: What do you mean there are enough "Tons o' Factions" mods out there? Name three. Name just one complete one that isnt RTR and I'll be overjoyed.

Very impressive skinning there indeed. Keep up the good work. Especially love the teutonic heavy cavalry

"In the time of battle the loss of innocent life is inevatiable... thats just fate"
    - Gatts, the Black Swordsman

mango hit the nail on the head.

I'm hoping to have a minimum of 20-30 units for the crusader faction alone and would prefer to be around the 40 mark. Yes that would mean lots of spearmen and swords men, but they will all look different and have varying stats. The variety I'm planning will make the armies incredibly diverse. All the soldiers will be very unqiue and each will be getting their own models with personal touches to each. Less factions is actually letting me be MORE diverse. Plus the bonus only one powerful AI faction and my plans for roma mod-esque balancing. The mod will be hard and unique. With other plans like knights only being scripted reinforcements from europe and not buildable the crusader campaign will be difficult and you WILL be losing battles. I promise it.

So, will you have a set of bat-files, like TFT, which you have to run every time you start a campaign? If I wont to play the Crusader states, I run a certain bat-file and it will change some files, and the Crusaders will get all sorts of disadvantedges and the Saracens will get some advantedges, are you going to have a system like that? If you do, I think it would be great.

Looking forward to this, Caius.

Rome Total Realism forum moderator.

Well it definitely sounds ambitious and unique if anything. You've chosen a great period in history to make a mod for, it guarantees you lots of fans. Lots of luck!