Thread: Implameting new races in DOW2

Default Implameting new races in DOW2

This is not a thread where I whine about how theres only 5 of the possible wait lemme count, necrons,tau,sister of battle,dark eldar uhh OH! imperial gaurd. thats makes 10 possible races, ahem I was perplexed as how they would add a races like the necrons or IG to there new system of front line battle tatics, I know that a single squad of IG proably would not last long in a fire fight so there should be fast production speeds but then the player could just spam gaurdsmen and overunn there opponent. and with necrons there main infatry are life less robots it would be dumb to see them running around looking for cover. Any ideas on how these races tatics could be implamented to front line warfare?
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

Default Re: Implameting new races in DOW2

The Necrons? Give them really high HP and have them ignore cover. And a chance to respawn.

Guardsmen? Give their units 20 or so men each, and ensure that they're the "stronger" units in the guard. There are guardsmen that can survive direct hits from bolters due to superior armor, usually elites.

I'd give them quicker and earlier access to armor too..
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

20 men would be too much for the cover which is mainly designed for tiny squads.

For Necrons, I'd agree with the above. They'd act like Terminators and wouldn't bother about cover, instead just walking straight through it. This would more than match their fluff as the idea of metal warriors slowly advancing at a steady pace without trying to get to cover would be perfect and would represent them well. I think these races are more than compatable with this game, you just need a bit of imagination and you can figure out how they'd work.

As for Imperial Guard even smaller squads could stand up to the elites. Imagine Guardsmen as Eldar Guardians in terms of how they play. A Guardsmen team would be excellent in cover due to their small stature but in open ground they would be cut down almost instantly. Their armour would need to be balanced and I think what I've written below will demonstrate just how they can work. You could have the following:

Tier 1 - Guardsmen (10 Men), Tech Priest (1 Man), Heavy Bolter (2 Man Team)
    Tier 2 - Chimera (1 Vehicle), Sentinel Walker (1 Walker), Ogryn (5 Ogryns), Kasrkin (10 Men)
    Tier 3 - Leman Russ Battle Tank

The Guardsmen would be very cheap with a low population cap to make up for their weakness. However, like Dark Crusade made them tougher than DoW1, they would be slightly more powerful than the NPC's in the campaign. They can also get Plasma Gun or Grenade Launcher upgrades and a Sergeant to boost morale and fighting capability. The Tech Priest can construct turrets and light defenses such as sandbags for a small fee. The Heavy Bolter Team would act like heavy weapon teams in Company of Heroes, so 2 men carrying the bolter and once Tier 2 is unlocked, this unit could upgrade to an Autocannon or Lascannon for anti-Elite infantry or anti-armour support. The Chimera would be the basic transport with a multi-laser turret. The Sentinel would act as light anti-armour, coming with a Lascannon as standard. Not much to say about Ogryn, they'd have the same melee capability as a Space Marine Assault Squad. Kasrkin would be the elite units and would be even more powerful than in the campaign. Again, like the campaign, they would have an option to fully upgrade to Veteran Kasrkin to unlock Chainswords and Hellpistols. The Leman Russ would be a bit more powerful than the Predator tank with upgrades for Sponsons.

They would run on a special resource called Attrition which is increased by the men you kill, and the men you send to their deaths for the Imperium. Abilities here could range from deploying a single 5 man Space Marine squad for support to a Basilisk artillery strike like in the campaign of Chaos Rising.

So really, when you think about it the Imperial Guard are more than playable in this kind of game and I think I've set out a very basic way of how they could work which only took me 5 mins to think about, so imagine what a full dev team could do in the time they have.

I think that with the amount of Imperial Guard models already made in Chaos Rising, its a given that they'll be the next faction in.
    Last edited by The Gallant Forty-Twa; May 28, 2010 at 05:33 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I wont buy Dawn of War 2 untill it has a decent amount of factions, otherwise its a step back compared to the first game, and I dont even have soulstorm.

Are they ever going to make a medieval warhammer strategy game again though? I have yet to find a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Are they ever going to make a medieval warhammer strategy game again though? I have yet to find a good one.
    Therein lies the answer. They've tried a few times in the past, mimicking Total War/RTS gameplay and failed to create even a 'good' Warhammer game. Its more of a risk to do unlike a Warhammer 40,000 game which not only has a huge fanbase, it also has proven to be a hit amongst non-40K gamers due to the grimness, the deep backstories, awesome faction designs and weaponry etc.

I think you'll have to wait a bit longer for another Warhammer game. With Space Marine, the 40K MMO and inevitably another Dawn of War (be it expansion or sequel) I think the future of Games Workshop video games currently lies in 40K.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

why mark of chaos failed is quite obvious though. They promised customization of armies, but it doesnt go beyond changing colors and choosing between three slight variations of the same hat. Commanders cant be customized at all even. There is also no base building and no strategic map such as in total war.

Now if they truly had improved on the customization part, allowing you to choose from at least ten options for each bodypart on each soldier type, it could really be something special.

If they would throw in base building in a similar way to Dawn of War, it could be quite a great game.