Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isildor's historical battles - 14 battles

Default Re: Isildor's historical battles - New: Moria and Goblin Town

Working, awesome! Now I am off to enjoy your hard work, thank you once again!

Which battle do you like most?

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

That Moria map is really awesome! +rep for that, its amazing. Ö

Great I love it, +rep,

is it compatible with other mods?
    [/URL

Only if they don't change the units.

I love historical battles, and I think that i will like this submod

The moria one looks good, downloading it now

Edit: The walls are very high, camera jumps all over the place... not very easy to play
    Last edited by Gharbad the Weak; July 27, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

You should "drive" with your camera in the corridors. Than it looks quiet good, but it is difficult to find the way.

Default Re: Isildor's historical battles - New: Battle of Dargolad (Last Alliance)

New: Battle of Dargolad (Last Alliance)

Default Re: Isildor's historical battles - New: Battle of Dargolad (Last Alliance)

New: Battle at the Orodruin (Last Alliance)

Default Re: Isildor's historical battles - New: Both battles of the Last Alliance

very nice!
    but i have a comment on the battle of dagorlad: i think that the deployment areas are too far, it takes too much time to attack your enemy which can be boring and tier your troops for nothing

signature and avatar were made by Grímbóld'

Quote Originally Posted by Isildor View Post
    New: Battle at the Orodruin (Last Alliance)

nooooooo, just released the exact same battle!!!!!!

hum, didn't play the battle, but a small feedback from an admirer of your maps:
    there were dwarves at the last alliance war. on the plain of orodruin, there were about 10 000 men and elves, and 3 000 dwarves i think

by the way +rep

edit: i have to spread
    Last edited by Red_Devil; July 29, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
    nooooooo, just released the exact same battle!!!!!!
    2 maps=double fun no?
    anyway, i didnt know there were dwarves too, i thought you added them for epicness
    and +rep to isildor of course (dont know what happen to me, i always forget to rep...)

signature and avatar were made by Grímbóld'

Default Re: Isildor's historical battles - New: Both battles of the Last Alliance

there were dwarves at the last alliance war. on the plain of orodruin, there were about 10 000 men and elves, and 3 000 dwarves i think
    There are dwarves at the black gate battle where the whole last alliance army is present. But after the army was splited, after they fought a battle at the black gate with a lot of deaths and because dwarves had only a small army present (and the army is not lore size ) I added no dwarves to the Orodruin battle.

Default Re: Isildor's historical battles - New: 5 battles

New: Battle at the Fields of Celebrant (2510 TA)

New: Battle of the Crossings of Erui (1447 TA)

New: Battle of Fornost (1975 TA)

@ Red_Devil:

I know that you had already made a battle of Celebrant. I made it first for myself but then I thought that I publish it so other persons could play it also. Your Celebrant battle is still the first one which was published

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Hello Isildor ^^ ,

- Thx for all those historical battles, havn't try all of them yet but Moria is awesome. The slight fog is nice and the underground atmosphere very crippling. Armies are well balanced too and orcs attacked the three accesses of the Great Hall at least 2 times each.
    - Some minor pathfinding issues for units beginning on the bottom right side of the battle map (1 snaga archer, 1 orc bodyguard, 2 heavy pikemen if I remember well): when I retreat the two dwarven units (2 miners I believe) towards the great hall, pikemen tend to be stuck near wall openings.
    ATTACHMENTS 1 & 2
    - Same with the Balrog unit when I let one dwarven miner unit in the way to slow it (they just kept staring at each other):
    ATTACHMENT 3
    - I managed to get them back on track by moving dwarves around (seems stuck units need a direct line of sight on enemy units to change their previous path, not sure though), at worst I add to attack (only 1 unit) to get those cowardly orcs in the fight .
    ATTACHMENT 4
    - Do you think it's possible to make it a settlement map by adding the lowest level plaza in a remote area (south of the great hall/bottom of battle map would be great) ?
    - I ask because I saw a Moria submob where Moria is made of 3 settlements (west gate, east gate, main settlement). If we could replace the "gates" maps with your Moria map it'd be great (keeping the main settlement as a regular one for economic purposes).

+ and thx again .

EDIT: oh sorry it's here and you already know the submod (post 21):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=281846&page=2
    Last edited by Dazo; July 29, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
    REP Blackomur89.

Do you think it's possible to make it a settlement map by adding the lowest level plaza in a remote area (south of the great hall/bottom of battle map would be great) ?
    If you put an caste or an village somewhere on the map some halls and room would be to destroyed and it would look maby a bit strange to have a castle in on "mega" hall somewhere on the map, don't you think so?

I ask because I saw a Moria submob where Moria is made of 3 settlements (west gate, east gate, main settlement). If we could replace the "gates" maps with your Moria map it'd be great (keeping the main settlement as a regular one for economic purposes).
    It is impossible to make custom settlement for the campaign map. I can only make custom settlements for historical battles or custom battles not for the campaign map. Maby this will be possible in the futur if someone discover how but now it isn't possible.

Some minor pathfinding issues for units beginning on the bottom right side of the battle map (1 snaga archer, 1 orc bodyguard, 2 heavy pikemen if I remember well): when I retreat the two dwarven units (2 miners I believe) towards the great hall, pikemen tend to be stuck near wall openings.
    I know this. Pathfinding is in this map the main problem, but I don't know what I should do against this. I could make the corridors and halls bigger but then the map would be bit borring and unrealistic, or would you like less but bigger halls and ways?

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Thx for the answers, Isildor .

1) & 2) Plaza: ok, since no campaign battlemap change is possible there's no point to it. Hope there will be a point somewhere in the future too.
    3) I think corridors and halls are nice, they give the feeling. Orcs actually use the two main "highways" trough the map quite well.
    I think I was partly "at fault" because I retreated some dwarven units too fast. Perhaps it would work (and save you work and time) to slightly change the starting positions of some units (dwarven miner units closer to enemies ?) or just enlarge a bit some wall "doors" in critical areas.
    To be picky I'd say:
    - Durin's bridge (south-western side of battle map) is a little short (you enlarged it to avoid pathfinding issue, I suppose). Perhaps you can enlarge the chasm a little there since you have some room (main orc beginning deployment area).
    - more pilars (mean slim ones, I suppose) in the great hall but I know it's very hard to shape them so you can let it slide ^^ .

Anyway I'll replay the battle again to see .
    REP Blackomur89.

If you show me some critical areas I can change them, no problem. But I suppose a map of my map would help to show were the things are.

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Hello ^^

- For critical areas it's mainly south east for me but I'll play the battle again a couple of times and try to confirm if it's map related or due to units position/moving.
    - I didn't move the two dwarven miners in the south east (not retreating them towards great hall) and orcs units there didn't get stuck in the wall this time but two of them stopped to advance as soon as I retreated the halberdmen unit towards the great hall.
    ATTACHMENTS 1 2 3
    - It's somehow the same with Durin's stair, as long as there are crossbowmen on the cliff above the stair, no massive orc attack, they tend to go back and forth but when I withdraw the crossbowmen (no more bolts) they attack in numbers.
    ATTACHMENT 4
    - Another thing I noticed: routed units don't flee, I believe it's because all map borders are cliffs so they can't exit the map. Was it intended like that ? If no, just open a hole in the big walls somewhere near starting positions, it should do the trick.
    - Given the starting orc positions, it's sad we can't have a dwarven unit making a last stand at the bridge but well they'll die anyway ^^ . Here is what I though when saying to enlarge the chasm around Durin's bridge:
    ATTACHMENT 5
    - One funny thing is that the Balrog(s) actually runs faster than it's orc "general" so sometimes, they're waiting for him :
    general: "fů^$* balrogs, there was a whole bunch of beards in the way, why did you let me alone ?"
    balrogs: "we just ran trough them, you can't ?"

- Who said goblins couldn't climb the walls like they do in the movies:
    ATTACHMENT 6

+
    Last edited by Dazo; July 30, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
    REP Blackomur89.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast