Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wrong voices from units

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: wrong voices from units

We can edit the sounds. I did that for Masters of Europe. The real problem is it's very touchy, and every time you add or edit a mod that changes the units (add, remove or change the order in the list of units), you'd have to "compile" the sounds.
    And mod makers can only work on their own mod, supposing it is used completely alone.
    If you want to mix several mods, the mod makers cannot know what combination you want to make, and so they cannot provide the correct sound settings. You'd have to make your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    We can edit the sounds. I did that for Masters of Europe. The real problem is it's very touchy, and every time you add or edit a mod that changes the units (add, remove or change the order in the list of units), you'd have to "compile" the sounds.
    And mod makers can only work on their own mod, supposing it is used completely alone.
    If you want to mix several mods, the mod makers cannot know what combination you want to make, and so they cannot provide the correct sound settings. You'd have to make your own.
    Which file(s) need to be changed exactly when I add a mod ?

As an example : I want to use a mod that adds 10 specific french hussards regiments, what sounds files should I edit in order to have the correct voices ?
    Last edited by Bellicose; July 10, 2014 at 07:59 AM.
    Qual ten la lenga, ten la clau que de sas cadenas lo desliura.

Patrician Artifex

it's a little complex. You need to extract sound_bank_database and sound_events (preferably from vanilla), with no mod installed (i.e. not present in NTW install folder)
    Then use symphony tool to decompile it.
    Then you can just add the mod to the NTW folder, and recompile, and last add the newly compiled sound_bank_database and sound_events to your mod.
    This way, you should get the correct voices for the units. But no new sound (the hussars will use the generic light cavalry voices).

If you want to modify the sounds (or add new sounds specific to a unit), then before recompiling, you have to edit sound_events.csv and sound_bank_unit_voice_events.xml (these two files are generated by Symphony when decompiling)

Damned, I believed I got it right but problems come when I want to activate several mods together. The language files are totally messed up and this problem is game breaking for me.

Looks like if there are several mods with several sound compilations, it does not work. Looks like the database has to be unique for all mods.
    Last edited by Bellicose; July 10, 2014 at 09:01 PM.

Patrician Artifex

I've not really tried it. I don't know what other mods are using a new compiled sounds. IMO, if you want to make it work, you may have to:
    - Uninstall every mod, remove them from the NTW folder, and decompile with Symphony. This is to get a "clean" version of the vanilla sound files.
    - Then, edit the sound_events.csv and sound_bank_unit_voice_events.xml to add new lines from every mod you want to have at the same time (like in MOE, sound_bank_unit_voice_events.xml has more than 70k lines to add all my new units). Resolve all the conflicts between units, etc, in these files (so the same units doesn't get sounds from different sources).
    - After this, put all the mods in NTW folder, and recompile: normally, Symphony is supposed to parse all the installed mod and compile the sounds for a mix of the different database changes. However, I'm not sure how well they can work if two mods are conflicting.

That's one of the reason why I try to put everything in my own DB in MoE, and not try to mix it with other mods touching the unit table. But anyway, this is a more general issue than sounds: if you try to mix two mods, bot editing the unit table, if they are not based on the same design principle, you can get something with no consistency, or balance issue.

I agree with you, that's why I always edit mods myself to make them compatible for personal use, stat wise.

The thing is that I tried to make a mod that adds all the hussars regiments to France, Russia and Austria along with MOE for personal usage. Austria faction historically miss a guard and as this nation was specialized in light cavalry (possibly best hussars of the era) I really wanted them in.

I began with 11 french regiments and followed your instructions ; but the result was that all units of all armies were speaking English. With correct unit voices though : grenadiers answering as grenadiers, and guards as guards but, all in English no matter the Nation. I don't understand where the mistake came from. I had no chance with this symphony tool.

Patrician Artifex

If only you can tell me how you did that! I'd like to be able to force the language of a unit in a better way than whag I do!

That is what happened when I recompiled my mod (no reworked sounds) along with yours (MOE), I wander if it has something to do with MOE_UnitSounds_(country) having all their various sub folders being registered in a main one called : uk. Something weird happened and it looks like symphony tool believed it had to be recompiled in English. Which unfortunately does not help me .

Patrician Artifex

The faction table defined what language should be used by each faction. In MoE, every unit is using UK language, but the units are using a specific subfolder of UK, with their own national language inside.

Marcvs Antonivs's Avatar Senator

As anyone by any chance fixed this for Darthmod? Nice necro, but this is an annoying glitch.
    Cassius: "Our men at arms have secured the city. We've received representatives from all the best elements. The senate is with us, the knights are with us."
    Brutus:"The pontifs, the urban cohorts, the lictors guild..."
    Antony: "Oh, the lictors guild, very good. Only rally the bakers and the flute players and you can put on a festival."

Patrician Artifex

You have to do it yourself, because the fix is not for a specific mod.
    It's a fix that has to be done after you install all the mods that could modify the unit table.

Hello, could i get a more detailed tutorial please?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12