Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: █ Third Age Battle Map Project || Historical Battles & Custom Battle Maps █

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

Default Re: █ Third Age Battle Map Project || Historical Battles & Custom Battle Maps || your help, work & opinion is needed █

///

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~ ANNOUNCEMENT ~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everybody with one or several completed maps and map project please update
    them in your very first post in this thread and please always update this thread with 100%
    completed maps that i can take them into consideration. i will check the post every now an than
    to see if something new is finished but best thing you can do is to collect the maps yourself
    and than update your post with them.

And please make your post and lists of completed map clear and neatly arranged, that i and
    everyone else know what to download.

You also have to upload only one archive per map in the correct folder structure.
    (for an example download my Helms Deep Map archive, which is like it should be)
    (Download it here: Attachment 48472)

Don't post a new thread for every single new map you have. i really like your contributions so
    far but you making it hard for me to keep an overview here.

The Reason is that this forum already is and would be a total mess if we go on like this.

(if you have completed one post here in this thread with a list and download links to all your
    maps just write me a short PM/VM, which you can do after new major changes.)

///
    Last edited by jản; June 02, 2010 at 08:39 AM.

Gimli's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: █ Third Age Battle Map Project || Historical Battles & Custom Battle Maps || your help, work & opinion is needed █

Hey JaN, Nice work on the details.

For Helms Deep, you know its shaped like a canyon. And theirs gotta be if possible a bridge with a deep fall. Like the one in the movie. Other then that, its great. I'll download it tonight.

You can find all my maps with information in this post here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=361093

Do I really have to upload all maps here again?

They are totally finished.

My final versions are:

Battle_of_the_plains
    Battle_at_the_Poros
    Battle_of_the_Camp
    Azanulbizar
    Ambush_of_Black_Gate
    Battle_of_Morannon_2
    Five_Armies_5

I'm not working on them any more and I know nothing that should be changed. Therefore they are final in my opinion.
    Last edited by Isildor; June 03, 2010 at 06:11 AM.

no, I think he already knows where to find them...

I'm having fun with the editor: making a dol amroth custom battle map. And it's gonna rock, even though it's pretty simple to make

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Do you think making maps of Beleriand [yey I spelt it correctly] is okay?

On one hand it doesn't fit with the units (except those brilliant Balrogs) but if they are impressive locations then it would be worth it. We are running out of key locations* so why not move onto other parts of the Arda? (Even the Undying Lands)

* Key Locations that haven't been done (Just a brief list):

• Barad-Dûr (I have about three different attempts saved and they are too short to look good/haven't made the peak look correct (could do it by the books but who wants a plain black pillar?)/ the map just screws up in general).
    • The Shire (A load of lumps, what is really needed is some doors to make it look okay otherwise its just hills, roads and water, someone may be able to do a decent attempt but without custom buildings it won't be perfect)
    • Osgiliath and other settlements (Need more custom buildings)

Basically if we want to make more (I do, I just can't find a good location) then we need to look elsewhere (Okay if you are doing historical battles you haven't the limitations).

By making the Isle of Meneltarma (Remains of Númenor) I was making a statement: We should not be limited to Middle-earth.

P.S. I'm having a go at modelling Thangorodrim.
    Last edited by Inarus; June 03, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Other possible not made locations are: Minas Ithil/Minas Morgul, Cirith Ungol, Edoras, Dunharrrow, Amon Sul,

Quote Originally Posted by Isildor View Post
    Other possible not made locations are: Minas Ithil/Minas Morgul, Cirith Ungol, Edoras, Dunharrrow, Amon Sul,
    Ive done Amon Sûl (but not with a proper fort). Minas Morgul is a nightmare to sculpt (Let someone else). Cirith Ungol lacks too much space (Its on a ridge sortof) Edoras Ive done. Dunharrow cba.

But that wasn't the point, You've suggested a few undone places and in a month or two people will have made them. Then what? I'm asking for opinions regarding maps for Beleriand.

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

Ive made a Edoras to, but not to great.

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    Then what? I'm asking for opinions regarding maps for Beleriand.
    That's a good idea. But I don't think you can make Menegroth, or do you?
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    That's a good idea. But I don't think you can make Menegroth, or do you?
    I highly doubt that but I will soon release Angband (in about two hours, it would be out now but the spawn location for units was on a slope and so the units couldn't move, just need to change that and it will be okay (I think). I would like to make Gondolin but I can't see how the city could be made accurately (perhaps it would be possible with raised terrain for the round walls.

Then what? I'm asking for opinions regarding maps for Beleriand.
    I just want to say that in my opinion this mod should cover all things that are important for the third age, because it is called "Third Age".

I say: Finish all undone third age maps and put them in this mod.

There could be alot of possible middle earth landscap maps (some Rhun, some Mirkwood, some Morder, ...) as custom maps and custom city maps for the cities who not already have one (from difficult cities like Barad-Dur or a perfect Minas Thirith to normal cities like Bree).

I just wanted to say that I still see a lot of possible custom maps possibilities.

I just want to say that in my opinion this mod should cover all things that are important for the third age, because it is called "Third Age".
    That's why I asked first but argh I'm making Angband anyway.

I say: Finish all undone third age maps and put them in this mod.

There could be alot of possible middle earth landscap maps (some Rhun, some Mirkwood, some Morder, ...) as custom maps and custom city maps for the cities who not already have one (from difficult cities like Barad-Dur or a perfect Minas Thirith to normal cities like Bree).

I just wanted to say that I still see a lot of possible custom maps possibilities.
    Mirkwood is just trees though, endless trees (and I hate tree maps because they have a tendency to lag and you can never see your units.

Mordor there are some locations (Durthang, Plateau of Gorgoroth) and Rhûn is up to the creator's imagination. There are very few POSSIBLE LANDMARKS left.

Can we get this thread stickied?

(Sorry for double post but you can delete this).

dol maroth battle map soon available, still need to fix some things: if anyone can help, go on the battle editor tutorial to give me some advice concerning some problems i have encoutered please

@ Inarus...
    It would be great to see a map set in Beleriand, for instance the siege of Gondolin comes to mind for start...
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    @ Inarus...
    It would be great to see a map set in Beleriand, for instance the siege of Gondolin comes to mind for start...
    Making Gondolin, I don't know how well it will come out but if everything is okay you may see it tonight (if really lucky) or tomorrow (more likely).

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
    dol maroth battle map soon available, still need to fix some things: if anyone can help, go on the battle editor tutorial to give me some advice concerning some problems i have encoutered please
    Wich problems? maybe i can help.

EDIT:

I am trying to make Dunharrow, but there are no battles fougth.
    maybe i could make a un-lore battle, an invasion by the remaining isengard forces, who are hiding in the trees or something.
    im gonna think about it later.
    Last edited by Wesserd; June 05, 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesserd View Post
    Wich problems? maybe i can help.

EDIT:

I am trying to make Dunharrow, but there are no battles fougth.
    maybe i could make a un-lore battle, an invasion by the remaining isengard forces, who are hiding in the trees or something.
    im gonna think about it later.
    Then make a custom battle.

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    Then make a custom battle.
    I was thinking about that too, im gonna do that, but i must work on it because the units cant walk on the map, or better, they cant walk on the plateau, while i make a ramp and that sort of stuff.

when i made my minas tirith map, I had to make large ramps, and not too steep otherwise, the soldiers could not access the top part.
    I fixed that with the plateau tool by "plateauing" very fast on the unacessible zones.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast